Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Okay what are the best villain songs?

Oogie Boogie's song is my personal favorite, but the one from Tangled is great too.

not gonna lie, not a huge fan of hellfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is uncle remus considered a villain if so then zip a dee doo dah

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, we'd need a drat poll for that, and all you could really do is see which one the most people like. They all have a different context to them. Poor Unfortunate Souls can't really be compared directly to something like Gaston or Hellfire. I like Gaston more than any of the others I can remember. You know, that's another thing every other company tried to copy in the 90s. "In The Dark Of The Night" from Anastasia and "Big And Loud" from Cats Don't Dance.

Unrelated note, I watched Antz again for the first time in 15 years, and it's amazing to see how big they went with it. The numbers, the masses of moving things, all back in 1998. The termite battle is a hell of a thing. It's impressive that Dreamworks completed something so grandiose before Pixar finished Bug's Life.

and now the goddamn theme song is stuck in my head i was humming it at the grocery store god dammit gently caress

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hi i'm here, here for this thread, the thread i was born to be in <-------------*points at avatar*

Zootopia is amazing and IMHO Walt Disney Animation Studio is in a new new golden age ever since The Princess & The Frog. They're honestly leaving Pixar in the dust.

I can't wait to see Moana when it comes out here, on Dec 26. All I'm allowing myself to watch is the clip for You're Welcome which is up on the Disney Vevo youtube channel. Watching it over and over. The song is great and so is Maui :swoon:

To pass the time I'm going through older Disney stuff (and building my blu-ray colleciton of them). I've seen most of the 90s/2000s Disney flicks plus a smattering of the well-known older ones but I'm trying to work my way through what I've missed. I have a checklist that I hope to complete some day!

Other CG animation studios are mostly trash but I have a soft spot for some of the Dreamworks franchises (notably KFP, Madagascar and HTTYD)

Cartoons, guys. What's better? Nothing

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

and now the goddamn theme song is stuck in my head i was humming it at the grocery store god dammit gently caress
if only you had Been Prepared

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Antz was a weird movie. I watched it and A Bug's Life back to back and that was a good experience.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Has anyone watched Kubo? I heard that it was good and it's on Amazon Video but I'm kinda hesitant to pay the rental fee.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

Okay what are the best villain songs?.
"Hellf-"

OldTennisCourt posted:

not gonna lie, not a huge fan of hellfire
Oh.

"Gaston", then? (Or maybe "The Mob Song", though I'm not sure how much that counts as a villain song.)

Obscure answer: the cut song "Why Me?".

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

The Gnome King is a good Disney villain.

He ate the eggs.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Hedrigall posted:

Zootopia is amazing and IMHO Walt Disney Animation Studio is in a new new golden age ever since The Princess & The Frog. They're honestly leaving Pixar in the dust.

I'd argue that Disney only really started getting this good and stepping up its game because of the quality and challenge Pixar presented. They improved in response to that competition.

I mean, sure Disney is outperforming Pixar now but it helps that they responded to serious competition the same way every rich powerful company does and bought them out and stole all their talent. Effectively crippling them. I'm just glad they seem to be continuing to improve even after they murdered Pixar and removed the need to do so. Perhaps they learned a lesson and see the value in progress and quality? Or that DreamWorks and Illumination are enough to keep them from setting things on auto pilot and going back to sleep in their piles of money again? Who knows.

The crab scene in Moana is the best scene.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Savages from Pocahontas is a pretty good villain song. So is Friends on the other Side from Princess and the Frog.

Mulan is great and needs more love.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Be Prepared is clearly the best villain song. How can there be any contest?

The henchmen also have their own little song going on in the background:
We'll have food
Lots of food
We repeat
Endless meat

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Hedrigall posted:

Be Prepared is clearly the best villain song. How can there be any contest?

:yeah:

I like to contest that "Be A Man" is a villain song because the real enemy in Mulan is the patriarchy.

a neat cape posted:

Mulan has some issues but it's real good.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Why are we not talking about Anthony Perkins getting power-knifed by a robot in a Disney movie, followed by a live-action depiction of Hell?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a neat cape posted:

Savages from Pocahontas is a pretty good villain song. So is Friends on the other Side from Princess and the Frog.

"They're not like you and me, which means they must be evil."

That is the kind of line that can bring a whole movie crashing down.

18 Character Limit posted:

Why are we not talking about Anthony Perkins getting power-knifed by a robot in a Disney movie, followed by a live-action depiction of Hell?

Well we are now, what movie are you even talking about? I've never heard of this.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Well we are now, what movie are you even talking about? I've never heard of this.

This idea that Disney movies are all sweetness and light needs to end. How many hundreds did Mulan kill on screen?

Edit: Literally everyone dies even the robots.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 6, 2016

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

18 Character Limit posted:

This idea that Disney movies are all sweetness and light needs to end. How many hundreds did Mulan kill on screen?

Edit: Literally everyone dies even the robots.

Thousands. And I'd never heard of this movie. Was this partly animated, or all live action?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Disney should do an animated adaptation of Event Horizon

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

Disney should do an animated adaptation of Event Horizon

Only if Sam Neill sings Where We're Going, We Won't Need Eyes to See.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:allears:

Jenner posted:

:yeah:

I like to contest that "Be A Man" is a villain song because the real enemy in Mulan is the patriarchy.

Mulan has some issues but it's real good.

Wasn't it banned in China, too because of its message?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 6, 2016

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Sword in the Stone will always be best cause of the jazzy as gently caress wizard

https://youtu.be/75BJ2ovo-S0

gently caress yeah

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Sword in the Stone will always be best cause of the jazzy as gently caress wizard

https://youtu.be/75BJ2ovo-S0

gently caress yeah

He gets too pedantic with his whiz-bang mid 20th century optimistic modernism though.

Although Archimedes turning on him about it was worth it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Atlantis The Lost Empire never gets talked a lot, its a neat movie with some great designs from the guy who made Hellboy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdGuZicUPts
Also it scarred me with the way the villain died
It does however have the one of my favorite Disney characters in Vinny the demo guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4aX0c6ffuI

Treasure Planet is also good especially when you realize that it was like a 20 year passion project that Ron Clements wanted to do since Little Mermaid, but Disney would keep dicking him around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex9AWegauJM
Soundtrack is early 2000s as gently caress though

As far as live action Disney goes, I've always had a soft spot for Holes has a great cast and the teen cast especially is great, I remember it vividly since the movie came out just as we were reading the book in 5th grade. The teen cast commentary is great too and its a shame that Shia is the only one that really did anything of note afterwards.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Let's focus less on "Disney" and more on the real greats. Movies like Zootopia, Robin Hood, Secret of NIHM, Cats don't Dance. . . . uhhhh, other movies.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Iron Giant

The VHS tape containing the uncut version of Land Before Time sitting in Don Bluth's basement, seething with hatred for all mankind.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Wizards is technically only PG and it is a masterpiece.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tron was a great animated feature from Disney.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I kinda liked bolt

nobody remember bolt

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Beauty and the Beast is legit one of my favorite movies ever and I'm a little sad but also kinda optimistic about the live action version coming next year.

Also I don't care for Mulan much as a movie but I'll be damned if "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" isn't the perfect story-instructional and also rad sing-along song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I kinda liked bolt

nobody remember bolt
You're not alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyECqbUx7zI

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nobody remembers Chicken Little either, and I think Disney is willing to call it an even trade.

I guess I should watch Bolt at some point.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3d movies people forget:

Dinosaur
Bolt
Chicken Little
Big Hero 6
The good Dinosaur
Mars Needs Moms
Meet the Robinsons
Planes
Planes 2
Valiant
The Wild

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Empress Brosephine posted:

3d movies people forget:

Dinosaur
Bolt
Chicken Little
Big Hero 6
The good Dinosaur

Mars Needs Moms
Meet the Robinsons
Planes
Planes 2
Valiant
The Wild

YAAS. These were my jams.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TV Zombie posted:

YAAS. These were my jams.

i don't believe you

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

Tron was a great animated feature from Disney.

Tron: Uprising is a worthwhile story. Tron is good for making it possible.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Prince of Egypt is the best non-3D, non-Disney, animated movie. Tell me I'm wrong.

Mister Macys posted:

:allears:

Wasn't it banned in China, too because of its message?

No, not at all. Jackie Chan voiced the main guy.

It wasn't popular though but that was because it changed the original story, which is a good thing. There is no conflict in it, it's just her doing a good job in the army, she goes home, her army buddies come to visit and are surprised she's a girl. The end.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i know its p meme right now but shrek was a good movie if not better than anything of that era disney was making GBS threads out

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Andorra posted:

Prince of Egypt is the best non-3D, non-Disney, animated movie. Tell me I'm wrong.
Hell yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA5GbpYQALE
I love their interpretation of the Angel of Death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVknpp9qk9k

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

3d movies people forget:

Dinosaur
Bolt
Chicken Little
Big Hero 6
The good Dinosaur
Mars Needs Moms
Meet the Robinsons
Planes
Planes 2
Valiant
The Wild
Lord knows I've forgotten most of these. Somehow I remember Bolt more readily than Big Hero 6, despite the latter being more recent and me having seen it more recently to boot; I just keep forgetting existed. Kept thinking Disney went straight from Frozen to Zootopia.

About all I remember about Dinosaur is seeing it in theaters and then realizing from Disney Adventures later that one of the characters' names was Uniform Resource Locator Url. I also thought they were voiced by Whoopi Goldberg, but reading it up to confirm while writing this post, turns out I may have been thinking of their friend Eema - who's still not voiced by Goldberg (Della Reese, acutally), but is probably closer to that voice than Url's actual voice actor of Frank Welker would be. (Just goes to show how little I remember about this film!)

(On that note, remember Disney Adventures? poo poo, I wish they hadn't stopped making those. Kinda wonder what they'd have said about more recent Disney films like Zootopia or Moana.)

Haven't yet seen The Good Dinosaur or Meet the Robinsons; pretty sure I don't want to see Chicken Little but probably will suffer through it at some point regardless; don't give a poo poo about the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Meet The Robinsons isn't bad. but it's very clearly focused on being heart warming than funny in any way. It's like the director had this idea for a touching movie about adoption and mixed families and was like "Well...poo poo, time travel jokes!"

• Locked thread