Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm babysitting my brother's kids and we're watching Zootopia right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
leaning tower of cheesah man

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

I suppose it depends if you count the straight to video sequels as real Disney movies.

Were any of those movies worth a watch?
The Aladdin ones were pretty good.

I mean, Return of Jafar kinda wasn't, in retrospect - it was a pilot for the TV show, and that fact is kind of glaring - but I definitely recall liking King of Thieves a lot. They even squeezed in the unused reprise of "Arabian Nights" from the first Aladdin to give the whole universe some closure.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, Return of Jafar kinda wasn't, in retrospect - it was a pilot for the TV show, and that fact is kind of glaring - but I definitely recall liking King of Thieves a lot. They even squeezed in the unused reprise of "Arabian Nights" from the first Aladdin to give the whole universe some closure.

I dunno, it's been years since I saw it, but I felt like Return of Jafar was okay. Plus it was cool how Jafar was able to turn the "genies can't kill people" rule into a rather chilling threat.

"You'd be surprised at what you can live through."

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Knew I was well and truly old when the Lion King came out, because I've never even found it particularly watchable much less good.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

18 Character Limit posted:

Tron: Uprising is a worthwhile story. Tron is good for making it possible.

hell yes

it's cancellation was unjust, and the same goes toward them not going forward with tron 3

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tron Legacy is legit one of my favourite movies of the last ten years. Probably in the top 15. Such an amazing world and soundtrack.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Shadow Hog posted:

King of Thieves is great in retrospect catching all the movie references that I didn't get as a 6 year old, like the Robocop joke.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's been a while since I've seen one of those Disney movies. I guess I should start with Brave.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Just saw Moana. Good stuff.

The "Shiny" sequence was visually amazing, but as far as the songs went, I preferred "You're Welcome."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

achillesforever6 posted:

King of Thieves is great in retrospect catching all the movie references that I didn't get as a 6 year old, like the Robocop joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xYGDR_eME
This bit always made me laugh even though it is pretty random references humor

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I dont like modern disney

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
well modern disney doesn't like YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I like Post-Modern Disney

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

discount cathouse posted:

I dont like modern disney

do you want to talk about it

Hedrigall posted:

well modern disney doesn't like YOU

i don't like you

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:smith: I try my best

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

It's been a while since I've seen one of those Disney movies. I guess I should start with Brave.

I liked Brave quite a bit

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Hedrigall posted:

Tron Legacy is legit one of my favourite movies of the last ten years. Probably in the top 15. Such an amazing world and soundtrack.
It was pretty and sounded good but the plot was a real headscratcher. But then so was the original kinda

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CrashCat posted:

It was pretty and sounded good but the plot was a real headscratcher. But then so was the original kinda

Finding a Discs of Tron or just Tron in your local dilapidated arcade was fun.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, you kinda have to watch the entire movie to really get it, but once you do, it's relatively simple;

Clu believes he is nearing completion of his original mandate ("create the perfect system"), and now wants to execute this programming on the real world as well. Clu also runs Bartertown Tron City, and has run Flynn out of town.
But he can't get out unless he has Creator access, and he can't find Flynn. And even if he had him, the gate isn't open.
Clu needs to bait another User to come in (opening the gate for a while), and lead him to Flynn, solving both problems.
It is apparently very hard to send messages out compared to programming or message input from the outside, so the best he could do was ring Captain Sheridan's pager.
Sam Flynn just wants to know what happened to his dad, and upon finding him, will do anything to get him out of the simulation.

Adventure ensues. :iia:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 12, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Even just introducing Clu in the first place is a bit of a mind screw since you're not initially told why there is an evil Flynn and what the gently caress that means

Heck, on the off chance that I had remembered Flynn had a program that looked like him before, that one died and hell if I was going to remember his name

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It might have been the time they were doing the "expanded media" bullshit games have been doing too, with additional story content explained in games and comics.

Supposedly, Clu wasn't merely executing his programming to the logical extreme, but was ~*corrupted*~ to evil instead. :jerkbag:
But going strictly by the movie, a lot of poo poo is a mystery until a good halfway through.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

It might have been the time they were doing the "expanded media" bullshit games have been doing too, with additional story content explained in games and comics.

Supposedly, Clu wasn't merely executing his programming to the logical extreme, but was ~*corrupted*~ to evil instead. :jerkbag:
But going strictly by the movie, a lot of poo poo is a mystery until a good halfway through.

Yeah, they apparently explained the ISOs or whatever Quorra was supposed to be in Tron Evolution or something.

idk i didn't play it

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
What I don't like about recent disney movies is how characters

all

look

the same

Even a rabbit

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Andorra posted:

What I don't like about recent disney movies is how characters

all

look

the same

Even a rabbit

It's pretty creepy.

Barbie has nothing on Disney Princesses.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I've never been bothered by this. Their hair, eyes, skin tone, wardrobe and voices are enough for me to distinguish them from each other. The fact that their faces are mostly the same general shape (rounded chin, prominent cheeks, small nose) just isn't really something I notice unless it's pointed out to me, and even when it is, I have trouble really caring about it.

I do understand why it bothers other people, it's just not something I feel is worth getting upset over. :effort:

Also, I have no idea who the girl in the third shot is. I really need to get around to watching Big Hero 6 one of these days. Probably try tomorrow since I'm stuck on babysitting duty for my brother's kids again.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's just an in-house style applied across various races/species. It's nothing heinous.

Anime is a billion times worse with this poo poo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

It's just an in-house style applied across various races/species. It's nothing heinous.

Anime is a billion times worse with this poo poo

Say what you will about anime (and Disney totally bought Ghibli, the only good anime) but classic Disney is easily made fun of for super duper crazy/misogynistic plotlines.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tron Legacy was terribly unappreciated. I think it's going to slowly become a cult film over time like the original. Half of why it's a great film has to do with the Daft Punk score, which is still one of the best scores of the last decade.

Even though I think Legacy is a way better film than the original.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here is my ultimate recent Disney ranking (haven't seen Big Hero 6)

Wreck-It Ralph > Zootopia >>> Moana > Frozen > Tangled

but they're all mad pretty

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know this is the Disney thread but are there any Dreamworks movies other than Dragon 1 that are good?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I watched Road to El Dorado a few months ago and enjoyed it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjSFujG6Uhg

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ScrubLeague posted:

I know this is the Disney thread but are there any Dreamworks movies other than Dragon 1 that are good?

Kung Fu Panda is pretty good, and I've heard good things about the sequels.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Dragon 2 as well. Kung Fu Panda 1 is cool and 2 is ok too

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
KFP3 is my favourite of the trilogy. It has the best villain.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScrubLeague posted:

Dragon 2 gets a little hacky but Toothless is great in it.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I didn't like Dragon 2 very much. I don't like it when they make the good guy be the bad guy in the movie.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xYGDR_eME
This bit always made me laugh even though it is pretty random references humor

A loving Waterloo movie joke of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't get to watch Big Hero 6, but I did get to see Kung Fu Panda 2 and can confirm that it is cool and good.

• Locked thread