Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Tangled is better than Frozen because it has a much more defined villain and a much more sensible conflict. Frozen had a lot of really strong scenes, but taken as a whole it just turns into a jumble. People remember the hook of a song more than the whole song, though, so we got Anna and Elsa eyein' us from every supermarket toy shelf to this day.

I love the tiny details in Zootopia like the stray black hairs in Judy's face and the way her nose is always twitching. Sometimes enough to be seen, sometimes enough that you have to be weird and hold your eye to the screen to see it. But it's there. That nose keeps on twitching. I have spent too much time going through Zootopia frame-by-frame. I intend to spend more.

Alan Menken's songs from the Disney Renaissaince were often really, really good. Up there with anything that was making it to Broadway. The final climax of "Bells of Notre Dame" can give me shivers and I have to loop it back and listen to it again. After a few times I try to sing along and I hurt my voice because that high note is like a soprano note sung by a dude, and even the trained tenor that performed it had to shriek to reach the pitch but it fuckin worked, man. It was beautiful.

Iron Giant was good. Prince of Egypt was good. I can't enjoy All Dogs Go To Heaven anymore because every furry avatar in youtube comments has a face that's a dead ringer for Charlie B. Barkin's and that well is pretty badly poisoned.

How do you feel about pictures that move and talk? Me, I'm for 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palpek posted:

Frozen and Tangled are teenager movies, you may as well love Twilight while you're at it. Disney had some movies that were designed to entertain parents that took their children to the theater as well though, the most organic of them was Lion King (because it managed not to divide the movie into obvious adult scenes and children scenes). Zootopia was also pretty entertaining because it was outright funny. There were also some movies which were enjoyable because of little scenes and details put into them and overall chill atmosphere like Robin Hood, The Jungle Book or Aristocats.

Well.......yeah. Spongebob Squarepants is some intellectual Hard poo poo compared to Frozen, and even most of Tangled. I think that in the 60's Disney still had high hopes of keeping animation out of the Kidz Zone. Hell, I think they're still at their best when they keep trying to do that.

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I like Aladdin. It's fun and has catchy songs.

"Start panicking."

:q:

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know something that's starting to annoy me about Zootopia? Judy has a magic invisible fanny pack that contains anything she needs it to. She puts stuff in it and pulls stuff out of it and there's never a visible object back there for her to be using for all of that. The fox repellent even disappears in the scene where Nick was supposed to notice it the first time they met.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As the wise OP of this thread I declare valid topics to be:

Animated movies that are rated G, PG, or PG-13 or
Partially animated movies e.g. Mary Poppins that qualify for the above criteria or
Any movie that's close enough to one of those.

Feel free to gush about The Land Before Time and its asymptotically retarded sequels or how the visuals from Cats Don't Dance stand up to newer stuff like How To Tame Your Dragon. Disney can't be ignored, though. You'll come back around to Disney. They always do.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov posted:

Zootopia is good

yes I am gay

Well, that's my review.

I approve of this review.

I, too, am gay

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wow. That's like when a movie that gets ripped off so much that it starts to seem painfully cliche. 1925 and they've got a third of Warner Brothers' go-to jokes nailed down already.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I first went to see Zootopia with my mom, and a week later went to see it again by myself. This was April, and I was the only one in the theater. I was thankful for that.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, we'd need a drat poll for that, and all you could really do is see which one the most people like. They all have a different context to them. Poor Unfortunate Souls can't really be compared directly to something like Gaston or Hellfire. I like Gaston more than any of the others I can remember. You know, that's another thing every other company tried to copy in the 90s. "In The Dark Of The Night" from Anastasia and "Big And Loud" from Cats Don't Dance.

Unrelated note, I watched Antz again for the first time in 15 years, and it's amazing to see how big they went with it. The numbers, the masses of moving things, all back in 1998. The termite battle is a hell of a thing. It's impressive that Dreamworks completed something so grandiose before Pixar finished Bug's Life.

and now the goddamn theme song is stuck in my head i was humming it at the grocery store god dammit gently caress

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a neat cape posted:

Savages from Pocahontas is a pretty good villain song. So is Friends on the other Side from Princess and the Frog.

Mulan is great and needs more love.

"They're not like you and me, which means they must be evil."

That is the kind of line that can bring a whole movie crashing down.

18 Character Limit posted:

Why are we not talking about Anthony Perkins getting power-knifed by a robot in a Disney movie, followed by a live-action depiction of Hell?

Well we are now, what movie are you even talking about? I've never heard of this.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

18 Character Limit posted:

This idea that Disney movies are all sweetness and light needs to end. How many hundreds did Mulan kill on screen?

Edit: Literally everyone dies even the robots.

Thousands. And I'd never heard of this movie. Was this partly animated, or all live action?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Iron Giant

The VHS tape containing the uncut version of Land Before Time sitting in Don Bluth's basement, seething with hatred for all mankind.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nobody remembers Chicken Little either, and I think Disney is willing to call it an even trade.

I guess I should watch Bolt at some point.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TV Zombie posted:

YAAS. These were my jams.

i don't believe you

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Macys posted:

I regret seeing it. Like a fourth direct to video release of a franchise by DreamWorks bad.

Was it Land Before Time 4 or greater bad?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

W.T. Fits posted:

Zootopia - This was pretty good, I rather enjoyed it. Wasn't sure what to expect when I'd initially heard it was a furry version of Fargo meets Resident Evil.

Where in the blue gently caress did you hear this explanation from? I can't even parse how those things would plug into each other.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScrubLeague posted:

Small-town cops in over their head on a case that's connected to a huge corporate conspiracy?

But the small town cop wasn't in over her head...

and can we please stop calling it a furry version of anything

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved A Goofy Movie and was disappointed by An Extremely Goofy Movie. One time in 6th grade we watched Land Before Time in music class and I cried when Littlefoot's mother died and people laughed at me and one other time in that music class I kicked a guy in the face, mostly by accident. An Extremely Goofy Movie just didn't have the same punch, with anything. I felt like the whole thing only had 2 jokes in it, and the rest was just noise.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Extremely banked a little hard on the "amuse the adults" angle, as well as the "I don't know what's going on in the plot but Goofy fell down and let some curtains on fire, ha ha ha!" angle and if you were 14 when it came out, well, gently caress you.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

discount cathouse posted:

I dont like modern disney

do you want to talk about it

Hedrigall posted:

well modern disney doesn't like YOU

i don't like you

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScrubLeague posted:

I know this is the Disney thread but are there any Dreamworks movies other than Dragon 1 that are good?

Dragon 2 gets a little hacky but Toothless is great in it.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My mother has placed an inflatable, light-up Olaf in front of the house as her primary Christmas decoration.

I don't think Disney sticking to one style for years at a time is harmful, even with some characters' faces slotting over each other like a tracing. It forces them to distinguish the characters by movement and personality instead of facial structure. Even though Elsa and Anna have identical faces, you' ll never see them produce the same silhouette simply because of how differently they carry themselves. Jasmine, Belle, and Ariel could slot over each other the same way and they stood out from each other fine.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand that line of reasoning at all.

and i dont gotta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Empress Brosephine posted:

song of the south still best disney movie ever

Everybody needs a laughin' place and a kindly black man of their own

Too bad that dude keeled over right after the movie came out, Walt Disney talked about him like he wanted to make the man a movie star. Would've been neat.

• Locked thread