Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Waroduce posted:

Saw whiz khalifia who came on two hours late, performed for half an hour and dipped

HereComesEverybody posted:

I saw Jack White phone it in hard maybe 4-5 years ago. No encore. The whole thing was pretty joyless.

Snowy posted:

Rakim just halfassed his way through the whole thing

Kelp Me! posted:

Jeezy came on and played a 25-minute set as the headliner.

ausgezeichnet posted:

Perry was so wasted on Xanax or whatever

Bold Robot posted:

Why? played a ~40 minute set...No energy, everyone looked like they didn't want to be there.

Ghostface came on over an hour late and was waaaaay too stoned.

GZA came on 90 minutes late

Things said about a Bruce Springsteen concert exactly never. You can take or leave his music and politics, but his work ethic is unassailable. I used to think this was an overhyped characteristic of his live work, but the more I read about your experiences with these drug addled, overpaid amateurs, the more respect I have for it.

*four hours, six minutes, Helsinki 2012*

[Or approximately nine Jeezy shows in one night]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah I mean bands like Phish and Umphrey's McGee play 4-hour sets all the time, doesn't mean they're not boring as poo poo tho

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I saw Hole in the late 90s at some music festival thing and it was really bad. I didn't even like them so I don't know why I went, probably for a girl or something I don't know. Orgy and a bunch of other bands I can't remember were there too. Orgy played in pitch black with nothing but a neon blue O on stage. I wish I could remember more for the sake of this post, but ultimately I'm glad that I've mostly forgotten it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Marv Hushman posted:

Things said about a Bruce Springsteen concert exactly never. You can take or leave his music and politics, but his work ethic is unassailable. I used to think this was an overhyped characteristic of his live work, but the more I read about your experiences with these drug addled, overpaid amateurs, the more respect I have for it.

*four hours, six minutes, Helsinki 2012*

[Or approximately nine Jeezy shows in one night]

I mean, sure, but let's not pretend like the choice is between short, lovely sets and 4 hours of dad rock. He's not the only dude with a work ethic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Short, good sets are underrated. I love a good punk/rock/hardcore band that tear it up for 30 minutes and be done with it. Then again if you see a show like tht you didn't pay $75 and wait in line for $20 parking and buy $12 Coors lights etc.

I also have a short attention span.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

my 6 year old nieces christmas concert. half the dumb retards couldnt even remember the words to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

veni veni veni posted:

Short, good sets are underrated.

I saw the Ramones at the height of their powers and agree. But the operative word here is good and I don't get the sense from anyone above that these abbreviated sets were welcomed, expected, or memorable in any other way. They're con artists who are out of their element and have (re)discovered that performing is hard. They act like they're doing you a favor if they show up at all.

Case in point: four recent Morrissey shows that never took place, with increasingly lame excuses provided. I would gladly trade in face value of these unused tickets to see the Tubes play on their own terms and not as an opening act at a chili fest. They're humble, not bitter in the least, and still play like the hits never stopped.

Of course, if I did make the trek to Tailgaters Sports Bar & Grill in Bolingbrook, IL on 1/14, they'd cancel 5 minutes prior and make a complete liar out of me.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I saw Bob Dylan on election night 2008. The music was just OK, but he was obviously ecstatic over Obama getting elected so he was all over the stage jumping up and down and having a blast, so that was fun.

Best concert I ever went to was a PJ Harvey concert that somehow got booked to a really small venue in Minneapolis back in 2000. That woman can fill a big concert hall with her voice so in that tiny-rear end club I thought that she was going to sing my bones out of my skin.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I saw Hole in the late 90s at some music festival thing and it was really bad. I didn't even like them so I don't know why I went, probably for a girl or something I don't know. Orgy and a bunch of other bands I can't remember were there too. Orgy played in pitch black with nothing but a neon blue O on stage. I wish I could remember more for the sake of this post, but ultimately I'm glad that I've mostly forgotten it.

Was it as bad as this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-xUwDARVb4

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
david bowie

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

just ray posted:

david bowie

Dude, I remember that show. He showed up 90 minutes late and was so clearly not into it. Plus he was hosed up on Xanax or moon rocks or whatever the gently caress he was into at that point. I remember at one point he said he was going to freestyle and he just stood there for three minutes doing that "here it go" and "uh huh" and "turn my headphones up" pre-song poo poo until it was obvious he wasn't going to do it. One of the Spiders had to jump in and do the freestyle for him. gently caress you Ziggy.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Seeing Outkast live a few years ago was literally the biggest disappointment of my life. I'm a huge fan and bought tickets as soon as they announced the tour. Then word started coming out that Andre was acting strange at the shows.
When it came to actually seeing them live, they didn't even know what county they were in :smith:
Adding to that, they had ZERO stage chemistry. I know there's been rumours for years not getting on but it was so obvious on stage, they literally never talked to each other. Crazy stuff.

Big Boi puts on a great show but you can 100% tell that Andre is in solely for the money. An interview with him that came out a week or two after I saw them confirmed as much where he literally said "I did it for the money "

In terms of rap shows, I have to say, massive props to Danny Brown. Saw him a few weeks ago and he rapped for about 70 or 80 minutes straight, no hype man. You could tell he was getting tired by the end but he had no hype man and only gave a few lines to the crowd/ DJ. I think sobriety has really helped him, he was amazing and his new album is so good.

I saw Outkast a couple years back. Very good I thought, but also one of those super polished and scripted stage shows. Thought the same about Black Keys as well tbh.

Danny Brown kicks rear end. Saw him over the summer and thought he was amazing, super high energy. Also bumped into him trying to be incognito and enjoying someone else playing. Really geniune dude.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cosmik Slop posted:

Dude, I remember that show. He showed up 90 minutes late and was so clearly not into it. Plus he was hosed up on Xanax or moon rocks or whatever the gently caress he was into at that point. I remember at one point he said he was going to freestyle and he just stood there for three minutes doing that "here it go" and "uh huh" and "turn my headphones up" pre-song poo poo until it was obvious he wasn't going to do it. One of the Spiders had to jump in and do the freestyle for him. gently caress you Ziggy.

lmao

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

Cosmik Slop posted:

what the gently caress are you talkinf about

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

just ray posted:

what the gently caress are you talkinf about

Classic Coral :jerkbag:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

I saw Weezer when they were touring for the green album. It was one of the biggest disappointment of my life. I was young, and just forming my musical tastes, and saved up for a while to get a ticket. Rivers Cuomo just stood in front of the mic the whole time, mumbling when he wasn't mumble-singing, they had a big light up "W' on the stage where half the lights didn't work, and they didn't do an encore.

I hate Weezer to this day, and don't go to many big name shows.

I got caught like this at a Sloan show. Stood around for 45 extra minutes waiting for them to finally take the stage (there was no opener), and when they did they led off with some new stuff nobody in the crowd knew the words to. I know they've got a bit of a catalogue and they're more than just 90s AM pop radio, but the whole set was just so far up its own rear end I couldn't stick around for the second half. The worst part was that not a single fedora in the crowd was even trying to move with the beat, they were all just standing there. Half of them weren't even facing the stage. It's hard to enjoy a concert that not even the crowd gives a poo poo about. Like... engage us a little, yeah?

Billy Idol looked like an absurdly fit 60 year old homeless guy who went looking for his shirt and wound up on stage mumbling some stuff into a microphone stuffed with old socks. I'm used to awful mixes at outdoor concerts are a thing but cmon, he's [nominally] the headliner. Steve Stevens was loud and clear so I gave up on hearing the words and just listened to him instead :rock:. They should've put him on at 4 and let Schoolboy Q (who I'd never heard of before that day) close, that show was berserk.

Original_Z posted:

Snoop Dogg was a disaster. He was so late, over an hour, and the crowd was pissed off. The setup was horrid and too much bass, you could barely hear anything yet at the same time our ears were in such pain, if I have hearing problems later in life I'm blaming that drat concert.

I think that's every outdoor hip hop show :(. They just turn the bass up until it can knock over a full beer can at 40 yards, then he wonders why nobody can hear what he's saying.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 6, 2016

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
I saw Bob Dylan at my college around 2012. His band was tight but his lyrics were 100% unintelligible and he played a keyboard. Everyone around me was caught up in being able to say they saw Bob Dylan, I don't think any one them was willing to admit the show was boring and mediocre at best. I looked it up online later and apparently his shows have been like that for the past 15 years. The house lights went up as soon as he walked off stage, people still cheered a while for an encore, but whatever he's an old dude. When we left the venue his tour bus was already headed down the road.

Later that night someone found a backstage pass, went into a local pizza place, and ordered like $5,000 worth of pizza. The people at the place stayed late and made all this pizza without a deposit or credit card simply because someone said it was for Bob Dylan. No one ended up picking up the pizza.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rivid posted:

Later that night someone found a backstage pass, went into a local pizza place, and ordered like $5,000 worth of pizza. The people at the place stayed late and made all this pizza without a deposit or credit card simply because someone said it was for Bob Dylan. No one ended up picking up the pizza.

lmao

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
The poster on the previous page who talked about the shows he's worked and others who have worked in music venues need to share more stories cos I could read poo poo about bands I hate for hours

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I saw MC Chris stop performing to have security kick some people out of his show. They were being rude and made a bad performance worse because it stopped the whole show but the blame also falls in MC Chris for stopping the show.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

britishbornandbread posted:

The poster on the previous page who talked about the shows he's worked and others who have worked in music venues need to share more stories cos I could read poo poo about bands I hate for hours

Matisyahu came up to us at the after-show meeting and said thank you to everyone, and shook hands and gave hugs to the men, but he wouldn't shake hands or touch any of the female staff. He took that whole Orthodox Jew convert thing pretty seriously until I guess one day he said gently caress it and quit being Orthodox again?

The Used had an after-show signing at the venue and they were talking poo poo about all their fans as soon as they would walk away from the signing table. They were seriously acting like they were still in high school.

Everyone fellates Springsteen for his work ethic, working-class "I side with the little guy struggling to make a living" shtick, but the only real-life interaction I've seen with him was when he got one of the security guards fired for not being able to hold back a "sorry to bother you Mr. Springsteen I just wanted to say I'm a gigantic fan my whole life."

I wish I had better stories but honestly the people I thought were going to be either super lovely or just incredibly wild in a "destroying the green room" kind of way were actually super nice/chill, including Deadmau5, Kid Rock (such a nice guy it's really tough to hate him), Rusko (he just smoked pot literally nonstop from the second he entered the venue an hour before the show to the J he was smoking as he climbed back into his bus), etc.

e: also some stories are just boring as hell, like to me personally it's kind of funny that Queensryche's roadies got in a shouting match with our stage crew because their on-stage props were super-elaborate and a pain in the rear end to set up/break down but that's not exactly TMZ frontpage material

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 6, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There's a rock band called Lady Pank (yes) in my country which has been trucking on since 1981 and are very mainstream and play a lot of gigs, often free/paid by taxpayers, yet there's always a big chance Panasewicz, sole vocalist, will be so drunk he will perform with his back turned to audience. Or will start the gig late and begin it calling-out the local governement for stealing other performers salary.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

rivid posted:

I saw Bob Dylan at my college around 2012. His band was tight but his lyrics were 100% unintelligible and he played a keyboard

this was my experience at one of his shows from around the same time. Additionally he had almost no stage lighting, and a row of full length mirrors in front of the stage aimed at the audience, and wore a coat that made him look like an airline pilot or boat captain

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Me! posted:

e: also some stories are just boring as hell, like to me personally it's kind of funny that Queensryche's roadies got in a shouting match with our stage crew because their on-stage props were super-elaborate and a pain in the rear end to set up/break down but that's not exactly TMZ frontpage material

kinda want to hear more about this because queensryche is inherently funny

especially given that their brief heyday was a quarter century ago

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Kelp Me! posted:

Matisyahu came up to us at the after-show meeting and said thank you to everyone, and shook hands and gave hugs to the men, but he wouldn't shake hands or touch any of the female staff. He took that whole Orthodox Jew convert thing pretty seriously until I guess one day he said gently caress it and quit being Orthodox again?

The Used had an after-show signing at the venue and they were talking poo poo about all their fans as soon as they would walk away from the signing table. They were seriously acting like they were still in high school.

Everyone fellates Springsteen for his work ethic, working-class "I side with the little guy struggling to make a living" shtick, but the only real-life interaction I've seen with him was when he got one of the security guards fired for not being able to hold back a "sorry to bother you Mr. Springsteen I just wanted to say I'm a gigantic fan my whole life."

I wish I had better stories but honestly the people I thought were going to be either super lovely or just incredibly wild in a "destroying the green room" kind of way were actually super nice/chill, including Deadmau5, Kid Rock (such a nice guy it's really tough to hate him), Rusko (he just smoked pot literally nonstop from the second he entered the venue an hour before the show to the J he was smoking as he climbed back into his bus), etc.

I don't care that I don't know who most of these people are, it's very very interesting and amusing. If anything comes to mind post it here!

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

I saw Bob Dylan on election night 2008. The music was just OK, but he was obviously ecstatic over Obama getting elected so he was all over the stage jumping up and down and having a blast, so that was fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0MqEwdXy0

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

Bauhaus opening for NIN in ~2006. The lead singer literally spent half a song humping an amp/speaker. And that's on top of the terrible songs.

E: just remembered there was this couple in front of us dressed in steampunk who left after the Bauhaus set. They didn't stay for NIN :psyduck:

E2: they paid $90 each to see loving Bauhaus.

I was at the CA show. It was Peaches, Bauhaus and NIN. If you aren't a Bauhaus fan I can see why you didn't like it. I absolutely loved it.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I saw a Marilyn Manson show where he had a tantrum for some reason and left about 8 songs into the set. What an rear end in a top hat.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

people I thought were going to be either super lovely or just incredibly wild in a "destroying the green room" kind of way were actually super nice/chill, including Deadmau5,

Deadmau5 didn't take his somethingawful modding duties seriously and I will never forgive him

edit:
To add another stupid story, I once emailed Andrew WK while drunk and asked him to call me. He did like a week later and we chatted for an hour. That was pretty neat.
Same thing with Josh Freese, but I had to pay some money on his kickstarter-like website first.
Both super cool dudes.

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 6, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've never worked an actual concert, but I used to screen website reviews for concerts, and a surprising number of them would complain about any banter or crowd interaction. There are a lot of people out there who apparently just want to see bands play their hits exactly as they were on the album, then leave. I blame these people for lovely phoned-in shows.

Sadly, the one story I could have had for this thread was a show I ended up not bothering to go to: Reel Big Fish and Eve 6 playing at my tiny liberal arts college a decade after either was remotely relevant. The friends of mine who went said the Eve 6 guy was immensely bitter.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
david bowie makes me want to puke

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Back in maybe '03 I went to see Biohazard at a very lovely venue in Detroit called Harpos. It's in a horribly unsafe part of town, and usually construction would prevent any mapquest directions from being effective (this was before I had a GPS). So, I really wanted to see Biohazard, and E.Town Concrete, Eighteen Visions, and Kittie were opening. I get to the venue and it turns out that there are 5 local and bands opening too, as Harpos has a pay-to-play policy. Every single band opening was poo poo, and to make matters worse one of the bands, Scorch, took 30 minutes setting up because they were having mic problems or some poo poo. Then I find out Biohazard cancelled and Kittie was headlining. Ugh.

To give another example of how bad Harpos is/was. There was an international metal festival with God Dethroned headlining. The main package had all at least decent bands. Harpos has so many local openers that all the main bands got 20 minutes to play, 10 minutes less than the local openers. I don't think God Dethroned even got to play.

Back in 2000 I went to Area:One (Moby's festival), and my friend wanted to see a band called Flickerstick (from the VHS1 show bands on the run) they were playing the night before and she said that she'd spring for the tickets. Holy gently caress it was terrible. They had this lovely band called Greenwheel open and the singer kept pulling up loogies and spitting them on people in the crowd.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
2/3 Gogol shows that I've been have been amazing. The "Underdog World Strike Anniversary Tour" show at the Paradise in Boston was a pretty big letdown. The whole band seemed tired and not really into it anymore.

Still beats loving Korpiklaani at PaganFest a couple years ago. They were headlining, holy poo poo what a letdown from the openers.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
yellawolf

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Has any rap concert ever started on time

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

The worst concert I've ever been to was definitely that time I played drums for a band in high school and we tried to play on-stage.

The bass player sang horribly off-key and didn't understand time signatures. We got upstaged by every other act that was playing that day. The power to the guitars cut out at one point, but I couldn't hear it so I just kept playing the drums for a few more seconds while the other guys looked around in confusion.

That's not the funny part, though...the funny part was a few months later, when I overheard someone talking about the show. Someone sitting right next to me in math class says to his friend, "Do you remember that concert at the middle school when {bass player} tried to play a show? Worst concert I've ever seen! It was terrible!" He didn't know who I was, and I just laughed to myself when I heard it. Hey, at least he didn't mention the drummer!

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

haljordan posted:

Has any rap concert ever started on time

yeah

CP time

:v:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

food court bailiff posted:

someone upthread mentioned gogol bordello and reminded me that i too have had the unfortunate experience of seeing them perform in a big field at a festival. i think i got whatever horrible lung disease textile workers get from walking through the sea of people in unwashed lovely baja hoodies

I've seen Gogol bordello twice early on in their career (2010, 2012) and both times were absolutely incredible. The first was at the Warsaw to a crowd of like 200, 1.5 hour set, 2x 45 minute encores. The second was at Webster Hall, and was packed out, but still awesome.

Worst show ever was Tim Hecker in the Asheville Civic Center. Just muddy ambient music in a coliseum.

Worst best show was GWAR on Halloween when I was borderline black out drunk with the horse mask on in the pit. Everything was just so loving surreal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I fell asleep 5 minutes into an album leaf show and didn't wake up until it was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Gov't Mule was in fact the worst show. I just remembered how mind numbingly dull it was.

• Locked thread