Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Australia still sucks, but doesn't, but then continues to suck even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
The Toyota War, though it's probably safe to assume there were civilian casualties given Libyan involvement.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Seconded, lol.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Makes me feel proud to know I was part of a campaign in which people believed to be pointless and even obtrusive, much like the opinion of many on the 'right' who believe protests don't achieve anything.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

NPR Journalizard posted:

The more I engage with tory fuckwits, the more I see them accuse people of doing the exact thing they are doing. Its a deflection strategy, as far as I can tell.

Or they are just fucwits, and dont realise what they are doing.

I've thought about this quite a lot lately especially regarding Liberal politicians.

In Question Time it is very obvious when an LNP member is lambasting some member on the opposite side about something, it's very often something that the LNP member is extremely guilty of themselves.

It happens so frequently that I often find myself saying "speak for yourself dickhead" numerous times a day while watching acb24. It really outlines the self-obsession and self-entitlement that comes with being a right-winged piece of poo poo to be honest, glass houses and all of that.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

http://webstreaming.lawinorder.com.au/rcpdcnt

You can watch Dylan Voller at the NT Royal Commision into Don Dale but be warned it's hosed.

The breadth of Dylan's accounts has really shocked me, I'd forgotten how institutionalised he has been and from such a young age.

This is a really thorough investigation and as such it is revealing mistreatment, abuse, and borderline torture over dozens upon dozens of cases.

It's hosed, really disturbingly hosed.

E: I'm really glad to be stuck at home waiting for call backs to some job interviews, because as hard as it is I need to watch this entire investigation/inquiry. We all should to be honest.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I've been sitting around for nearly 3 weeks while waiting to hear back from a couple of job interviews, which is either a bad sign or there is more competition than expected.

During this time I've also been searching for and applying for jobs while doing anything I can around the house so as to stick by my phone. This is a tiresome and unrelenting game and the fact that I'm restricted to the casual/part-time market makes it even more of a gruesome process. On the upside there seems to be hundreds of full-time roles in Melbourne that interest me and would be worth pursuing once I've finished studying.

For now it seems I'll still be pursuing employment while heading into the final year of my degree, which should be great loving fun on top of fieldwork and volunteering.

Ohh to be young again, they say... Well it ain't that loving great to be honest.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

re: Employment status chat.

I had an easy entry into the workforce with my first job being at Coles when I'd just turned working age (14 years 10 months?) and was hired after just one group interview. I worked there for close to 2 years and ended up just walking out one day after being refused to have less shifts, as I was working 4-5 days a week while trying to get serious about year 11.

From there I picked up a job about 2 weeks later at a fish n chip shop around the corner from home, which I roughed out for just over a year to get me through year 11. I was paid a miserable rate of $13 an hour, cash in hand, and ended up walking out after I'd had enough and the temptation to steal from the til was too much. I was working 3-5 nights a week during this period.

I then joined the Reserves at the start of year 12 after finding out that availability for full-time ARA wasn't going to be open for at least 6 months, so I stuck out year 12 for my parents sake while building my career in the defence force. I ended up enjoying the freedom of devoting my weekends and most nights to doing transport and logistics work at my barracks, so I picked up work at Australia Post for a year before advancing in full-time work in the DF.

These four jobs all came easily to me, and not much effort was required with the exception of testing for admission to the Reserves, so I was rather naive heading into the real world so to speak.

Long story short I was diagnosed with an unidentifiable form of degenerative arthritis, which put an end to my career in the Defence Force before it had even properly began. With 3 years of experience in the Reserves and the standard experience of those who worked multiple jobs to see themselves through high school, I was faced with the prospect of finding out what the gently caress to do with my life. At this point I was nearly 21 and had no intention of immediately finding employment as I had considerable savings to allow me to spend some time coping with everything that was happening.

I was lucky enough to undertake a 2 year Diploma of community services and case management around 2 months after I'd left the Reserves, so I knew that I didn't need to find work anytime soon while studying full-time. I ended up completing the course without looking for employment the whole time, as I wasn't in the best place and focused on completing my Diploma to a high standard, which I thought employment would impact upon.

It was at this point that I was introduced to Centrelink for the very first time, after hearing terrible stories from my mother and sister regarding their dealings. I was put on newstart and required to apply for the standard 20 jobs a month, with face-to-face meeting with centrelink every month to verify progress. I was on newstart for around 6-8 months in total, and even though I was finally ready and committed to working again I failed to snag any employment. I was introduced to a JSA which was next to AirPort West in Melbourne around 5 months after being on newstart. This process was much like many have described, I was required to attend a 2-week long "Job Skill Building" course or something to that effect, which began with a daylong session on resume building. My resume was apparently "extremely solid" and was told by a couple of the program directors that they'd never seen such a qualified 21 year old, which didn't mean poo poo because they didn't loving help me at all.

I was extremely lucky to hear back from a bunch of uni applications I had made about 5 months prior, with only one response coming from VicUni. It was at this point, on the second day of the JSA program, that I made the directors aware of my full-time student status, and a meeting was immediately set up to go over my status. I was told that I would still need to attend certain training programs and check-ups, and that they had ultimate control of my payment status etc, even though I stated I didn't want newstart anyway, since I can't be on it as a full-time student. I walked out of the meeting in which 3 workers were trying to practically scare me into staying, and walked straight into the centrelink just 500m away. I made a complaint about mistreatment and was ushered to the front of the line, lol, and proceeded to speak to a lovely worker who ran me through the process of attaining Youth Allowance, which I didn't even realise was applicable to me for whatever reason.

It was at this moment that I realised how much discretion the centrelink workers have, as the worker was able to switch me over from a newstart recipient to a Youth Allowance recipient which started with the next scheduled payment, much to my surprise.

I was very lucky that the first semester for uni was only 2 weeks away, which is why I'm guessing the CL worker was able to process me with such haste, so I once again didn't need to stress about finding employment.

Two years on and I'm approaching the final year of my psych degree, and have just now found the motivation to look for part-time employment after failing miserably throughout the summer to winter period of last year and this year.

It is an excruciating process and I have been solidly applying for jobs for the past 8 weeks or so, ranging from those I REALLY would like to be accepted for, to those that fit my experience and pay well enough. Being limited to part-time work is much more of a barrier than I anticipated, and even with over 3 years of volunteering experience in running a men's shed program, and being a chapter president of a not-for-profit organisation (over 2000 past and present students), no one seems to want to employ this 25 year old sorry bastard. I have even been told that I'm over-qualified for some positions, which I specifically applied for in the hopes they didn't REQUIRE post-grad qualifications and actually respected their statements of Not-Required, but there you go.

I'm getting pretty tired of this and even people around me don't seem to understand that I can't just "do labour work" etc as my body is hosed and riddled with pain on a daily basis, but the only comfort I have is my volunteer work, and the meagre amount of cash from YA that gets me through the week, just.

FYI If I wasn't living at home with some bloody great parents, I would be completely hosed in the not-so-nice kind of way.

Hope this helps.. What definitely helps me is not having to deal with centrelink and JSA's, but even with that, this is such an exhausting process.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

You Am I posted:

The Australian Editor: "Let's hold back Bill's medication for a couple of days and let's see what he really comes out with"

I bet he'd rather fall off another balcony then take any meds, you think Mr Bill loving Leak listens to what people advise him to do?

His work justifies the abstinence from medication, but then again he is so hosed up it's impossible to tell.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

"a small group" yeah compared to millions of welfare recipients you disingenuous gently caress, but not a small group when you consider the collective anxiety and agony of thousands upon thousands of young Australian's.

gently caress CL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

SadisTech posted:

"Grandmother, I have contributed to our dinner one kilogram of cherries at a cost of $15, a tart where the ingredients cost $12 and my labour in food production comes to $45 at my average hourly wage. I am therefore entitled to at least 400 grams of the ham and a full half of the roast chicken, plus 6 prawns. I see that there are only 3 prawns remaining, so I will make the conscious and charitable decision to overlook the $2.40 that I would otherwise bill. Merry Christmas."

loll that's loving great, ty.

I know some people that are like this, and would almost go as far in justifying their insane-selfishness haha, jokes on them because I don't associate with them anymore.

The libertarian curse "I have no friends now, wtf?".

• Locked thread