Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Natron posted:

:rip: old thread. You were... Well you were a thing that's for sure.

Now let's shitpost this thing all the way back to 6666! I know you can do it, everyone.

Estimates on whether we reach 6666 before SA finishes dying off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AbstractNapper posted:

So many ships. So many ships that you can buy now with real money.

And then dream about maybe flying them in a proper game a decade later.

Entire topic in one post.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

You're a solid guy beer and I like you but Derek should have been the OP.

Derek's too busy working on his Opus Magnum.

Beer is the cat herder we need and deserve.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

I think Derek has enough Star Citizen to worry about for a long time. Between Twitter, posting here, his book, blogs, Discord, and his own forums for the game... I think we'll be better with Beer4TheBeerMod.

Sometimes you can hate something a little too much before it starts to blur that line of doing a good thing, standing for an opinion, or being just a hair batty. I love to pick on Star Citizen as much as the next person with no money in it, but I also hope that it comes out and is good. I can also appreciate when they make a new thing, even if it's silly, hugely late and massively expensive. It's not my money being wasted, and the backers appear to be good with constant fleecing. So who knows, maybe in 20 years we'll look back on this thread and sub-forum with fond memories as we all enjoy playing the game for a week before getting bored. :cheers:

Holding a grudge against a more successful business competitor for over twenty years definitely does have it's consequences.

Also yes, in another 20 years when we're all playing SC we can look back and laugh. In another 20 years.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

I've heard people talk about these but I've never tried one. The thought of having potential macro buttons on a mouse though fills me with potential interest.

Is something like this able to be used for things outside of gaming? Also not to sound silly, but would it be very feasible to use if you had average girl hands instead of giant man mitts? Or is this basically something to think about only if your fingers and hands are pretty large and lengthy?

We've been over this and you're missing the key point: It's Razer.

Don't loving buy it. Seriously.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Fronts posted:

Hello new thread.

Is Star Citizen finished yet?

Yes. But first you just need my patented Star Citizen Plastic Bag for the full immersion experience. Only $50. I'll save you the hassle of looking for instructions by repeating them below:

What you need to do is sit in front of your computer while daydreaming about spaceships. Place plastic bag over head and start breathing heavily. After 5-6 deep breaths tighten bag and continue heavy breathing.

See you in the verse!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solarin posted:

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

I am going to keep this short; though I did consider writing a blog.

First of all, I have been around and an Internet Warlord for decades now. I know the drill. I've seen flamewars errupt and evolve from BBS teletype, to badly formatted Usenet postings, to articulate blogs.

I am well versed in the ways of online discourse.

I do not support, condone, nor engage in Baby Animals.

Aside from the fact that the law is very clear on Baby Animals.

Back in 2013, I wrote a primer on it in fact.

And there are additional resources on specifically this, what is legal, illegal etc. READ:

Baby Animals: It’s Like Hacking, But Legal

The Problem With “Baby Animals”

The Illegal Activity of “Baby Animals”: Revealing “documents or personal information” about a person, without their permission, with the intent to Threaten, Harass, Intimidate, Shame, Humiliate or Place at Risk

Basically, the Baby Animals and stalking laws are
quote:
About doing things which endanger a person's safety or which encourage others to attack a person or their family

Pointing out someone's social media page, isn't Baby Animals.

Pointing out that person A is really person B under an alias, isn't Baby Animals.

Posting material that the person themselves made public, isn't, never was, and never will be, Baby Animals.

If the above were Baby Animals, every single person in the media would be guilty of having committed a crime.

What MoMa did here months ago, was Baby Animals. And it's 100% legally actionable. He posted that I had a traffic citation. There was no context or reason for it to be here in a forum where we're making fun of grown men buying JPEG space ships. He posted it with malice, and with the intent to harass and harm. The only thing he didn't do, was post the actual citation itself; but anyone incited by his posting, could very well go seek it out for themselves. They never knew about it before he posted it.

I didn't dox Deloria (now banned). Though the post has been removed here, it is still on my website (post # 4905) for anyone who cares to go and read it for themselves.

All I did was out a scammer using material they themselves posted here (e.g. this post) and on social media.

Period. End of story.

There are NO rules on SA which prohibit what I did. Not a single one. Don't take my word for it though, here, go read all the rule pages

Then A KITTEN, after emerging from what I can only imagine must have been a meltdown recovery process, switched from "Baby Animals" to "helldumping". Which, to me - and anyone with a brain that's in working condition - was hilarious; seeing as the latter isn't even an SA rule. That aside from the fact that the very notion of "helldumping" is so far removed from "Baby Animals", that in and of itself, is NOT a bannable offense. Probation? Yeah, maybe' it depends on the mod.

The fact of the matter is that since A KITTEN tried to close down this forum - and failed; he's been gunning for me because not only did I have it brought back, but I was made mod. Heck, we just had yet another spat mere months ago over this same thing.

This sub-forum is moderated on a honor system. As a mod, I never had to take any action other than probating some people (4) when they cross the line. Once, after several probates, I probated someone for 30 days. I didn't perma-ban.

This sub-forum has never - ever - broken ANY of the SA rules. We encourage off-topic posts (recipes, memes etc) because it breaks from the monotony of making GBS threads on Baby Animal post and Shitizens 24-7.

A LOT of people followed me to SA and paid 10 bux to be able read what I post, interact, find the lols etc. That too is a solid fact.

Yet, somehow, for some bullshit reason, A KITTEN is of the opinion that I am not a "good" mod. The regulars here and I had a good laugh about that on on Discord, for the sheer hilarity of it. And when pressed, like the absentee landlord, he simply couldn't point out a SINGLE reason WHY he thinks I'm not a "good" mod. Not one.

Aside from the fact that I didn't even ask to be a loving mod. In much the same way that Beer4TheBeerGod and Beet Wagon didn't get asked either. He made them mods, then installed an IK buffoon who subsequently shat up my nice sub-forum, while attracting all the rear end-clowns from FYAD and elsewhere - and who otherwise didn't even know we existed here in our niche corner.

This is bullshit. What the gently caress is the matter with you people; that a forum with such HIGH TRAFFIC and quality posters who are otherwise behaving themselves and abiding by the rules, can't be left alone?!? The money is going into Lowtax's coffers, so what do you care, and why be salty about it?

Look, I am not a stranger to being banned. Heck, I was banned TWICE on FDev for breaking the rules. And in both cases, it was a matter of a "shady" areas in which 1) I was using asterisk to bypass the bad word filter 2) I posted material from here on SA

So, if I had somehow broken an SA rule, and been banned as a result, it won't have been any big deal. I would pay the 10 bux, re-reg, and get right back into the poo poo-posting.

As I am 100% certain (and I have high priced attorneys who ensure that I don't do/say stupid poo poo that will get me arrested or sued) that I hadn't broken an SA rule, let alone guilty of Baby Animals, I refused to re-reg on principle alone. And I made that clear to everyone who asked.

As the regulars here on my Discord can attest to, I said that I wasn't coming back here unless the ban was reversed. Then a group (7 at last count) of people (one of them being a backer here on SA who I had saved money by helping him get a Baby Animal post refund) offered to pay the 10 bux if I came back. I still refused. Then some made the case that as long as I wasn't the one paying the 10 bux, it won't break my principles and that I should consider it.

So I did.

And here I am.

Nevertheless, seeing as there is a mod actively holding a grudge and who I believe is going to keep finding ways to either get me probated, banned or who I believe wants to see the forum die, I won't be as prolific a poster as I used to be because this is bullshit.

I'm An Internet Warlord too!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

was also going to mention I ain't paying for poo poo

The important thing is Uncle Kimishima still lets you play all those unreleased Nintendo Switch games that we've never heard about though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mu77ley posted:

Star Citizen wins Most Likely to Flop in 2017 award on Massively OP: http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/18/massively-ops-best-of-2016-awards-most-likely-to-flop/

Doesn't flopping require a thing to be released in 2017? Something doesn't add up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ArfJason posted:

[timg] http://i.imgur.com/nLlqzrJ.png [/timg]
Congratulations epic star bad game stalk thread for making over a thousand posts on christmas. This finally proves to me you're all really normal chill and not obsessive hosed up weirdos at all.

So you're saying SA has all grown up and finally spawned an honest to goodness cult? I'm very proud of the regular posters in here for their tireless obsession which is entirely good and healthy and not in any way a long term health concern.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AP posted:

Citizens are loving dumb though. CIG couldn't merge Star Marine code from Star Engine from Illfonic who were actually working for them in 6 months and yet Citizens will believe CIG did something meaningful with Lumberyard in 2 days. To me the idea of CIG merging anything successfully , in a year, two years or two days is pure space fantasy.

To be fair Illfonic aka "those guys who made cancelled their own vaporware called Revival The MMO" probably delivered garbage. It's not like they went on to anything else of note other than making a shitcanned branch of someone else's video game.

None of this would have mattered if SC was just transformed into a top down 2D MOBA like SA suggested years ago.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

There is something about YTpeople that seriously makes people post the most hosed up comments.

FTFY.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's me friends

I bought the $55k of ships

Well. Don't hog the space gum. Sounds like you bought enough for the whole class so hand 'em out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rudager posted:

I've always been a big fan of this part, "will never be pay to win" while they've been selling ships from the the original kickstarter that poo poo all over the starter ship, AKA pay to win.

Silly billy. If you say it's not pay to win then clearly it is. Because who would ever lie about such a thing? *chortles heartily*

To use a phrase from an entirely different video game company "No Tricks, No Traps".

CAN YOU GUESS WHICH ONE

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

You win *looks at notes* um, the opportunity for an internet spaceship

Please swipe here. *drops pants, exposes butt cheeks*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OB_Juan posted:

According to this, goons had spent 13% of the total in ships purchased, and were the largest org by :tenbux: spent? Is that true? And the community didn't see that group turning on the game and pulling out as a warning sign?

Hello fellow goon from last decade.

Yeah goons aren't a force in the Greater Internet AT ALL anymore. Sorry.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ewe2 posted:

Sorry in advance for this rant, I just wanted to make it clear as clear why there are problems with CIGs/Parrys "explanation". Please point out mistakes or confusions/omissions.

Just managing the pieces of a website in git can teach you a lot about how VCS actually works and not how Ben Parry wants you to believe, like just skipping main development line history. Good VCS patterns are about minimising merge conflict and small, manageable deltas, regardless of the size of the project.

Let me break it down into a hypothetical, the kind of hypothetical that the Reddit crowd hates because they'd have to apply braincells to it, and let's pretend we're using git because its an excellent distributed VCS that lets you decide how to manage your workflow:

You've got engine code, it's made up of different bits that different groups of developers can work on, and like a good game company you want to make modifications to make the greatest game ever and you want builds to work so you can demonstrate how things are going (you know, not like SC). There will be a bunch of stuff that doesn't use the engine at all, ignore that in this discussion, it would be added at the build branch stage to make a build work and then get added to the main branch. Here we're only concerned with bits that need the engine code.

Ideally we'll have a development branch, a build branch and a main branch. You're the guy coordinating this because your developers are all working on their bits of the engine and when they put in changes, you make sure all the different bits agree and you take a snapshot of the current development branch and call that the build branch (and add those bits I mentioned above), and if it builds, those changes make it into the main branch. Clear so far? You can give these snapshots whatever name/version you like as long as it makes sense to everyone.

Ok, so down the track your builds are going fine but meanwhile the engine developer has released a new version of the engine and you want to take advantage. So you grab the new engine code, and to be safe, you clone a new copy of the original engine code and you do a merge to see what the changes are and make a diff from that. You now literally have what changed between engine versions. Well, like you would expect with a new engine version, they've changed the API you use to access its code and they've restructured its different bits quite a bit, there are new bits, older bits have gone. You do the same technique as before, comparing your current main branch (NOT the development branch, guess why) to the code and oh dear there'll be merge conflicts everywhere, the engine is quite different. What to do?

At this point we are up to BEFORE the LY fork, at 3.8 whatever version. We can break the task down: some bits can be easily discarded, some bits will be added, but there'll be a chunk that will have to be integrated piece by piece preferably along structural lines and meanwhile you have to educate the developers who can't continue along the lines of continuous development/builds until these changes are made. You have to educate the developers on the changes to the API, you have to reassign developers to the bits that are changed/new, and you may have to take a deep breath and throw a lot of good code away simply because you don't have the time or resources to rebase everything. "Rebase" sounds simple but only works if your modifications are only in the parts of the new code that didn't change, and in the case of an engine only some of that will be true.

Ideally, you can give some developers the freedom to rebase their own development work on the new engine code, but in some cases you'll have to do the work yourself and get them to clone from that. And THEN it's back to making the builds work, having "rebased" on the new code and then you've got a main branch which is a fork off the engine code.

And THEN you have the LY fork. Take the above scenario and repeat, unless you're prepared to simply throw away all the previous work. Unless the LY fork is amazingly compatible which I do not believe for a second.

I want to point out that as far as I understand, game development is rarely this organized or as careful. An object hierarchy is fine for business software development but usually only gets as far as the UI and maybe file operations but everything else is written pedal to the metal good old functional programming and that is a dog to manage even with the help of a VCS. The whole point of object orientation was to make large projects even feasible but that breaks down with the way games work which do multiple things at the same time like a mini-OS, it's that complex.

So when Ben Parry tries to tell me that it was easy I'm just dumbfounded. Because he should know better. And this discussion is only applicable to if they did it as he claims, ripptide might be closer to the truth.

That's way too much word vomit thanks.

ewe2 posted:

I'm just dumbfounded

This is your summary.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 29, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ewe2 posted:

Ah, a Redditor. Baby steps, commando o9.

lol as if I'd lower myself to make a reddit account.

Unlike some people here.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov posted:

Could have fooled me. *tips fedora*

Welcome to SA by the way. :tipshat:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

The reason the game is 2 years late is because the ideas won't come thick and fast enough. Chris is overworked over here, give him a loving break. What's that? Monaco? Well give another one then. Sheesh.

Nah the reason ~video game~ is late is because Supreme Commander Scope Creep means instead of a Freelance Clone we're getting... I dunno. A "universe simulator".
Which is a pretty nice marketing buzzword no matter how you spread that peanut butter on your toast.

Anyway I look forward to playing it after CD Projekt Red release Cyberpunk 2077 in the year 2077. Mike Pondsmith is loving legendary and his world building is my gold standard to this very day.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The correct answer is to stop and laugh at the goons who "ironically" became redditors in the same way that a crazy person "ironically" climbs through the seat of an open air concert port-a-loo to roll around and wallow in the human excrement in the wheelie bin below.

You may also stop and laugh at the redditors who bought SA accounts to join the :bandwagon:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sillybones posted:

What if I am just casually doing both these things?

Then there is only one conclusion. :itwaspoo:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ArfJason posted:

Have you guys really taken at best a lateral step from obsessively stalking internet people for the wrong game opinions to post pedophile fiction? Not that im surprised, this the subforum that had a mod who doxxed someone, and after countless denying that noone doxxes here, some guy went ahead and did it again.
What im trying to say is, stop doing all those mentally ill things.

You're not wrong but you're trying to herd a bunch of cats with a sheepdog.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/888477677522255872

Can anyone explain to me what this has to do with cargo? or anything for that matter?

I can't wait to manually stack a thousand identical boxes that spilled out from a procedural generated wreck for five spacebucks each.

After doing this for several hours it will turn out selling each and every space crate won't even cover my fuel costs so I will swipe my credit card to afford more space petrol.

Then I will return to the planet to find another wreck to salvage another thousand space UPS packages.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is the game play loop to end all game play loops.

Everyone should charge money for basic functionality.

I'd make the ESC key $10 DLC.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Latin Pheonix posted:

Has it never occurred to ANY of these people how incredibly boring it will be

If the Elite Dangerous community taught me anything it's that those sorts of people crave boring and monotonous.

They want you to earn loving everything in the most painful and player unfriendly ways possible.

God help you if you did something in a way both profitable and fun. That basically makes you the Worst Person ever to them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
See "the dream" is that each autistic narcissistic space captain will have a full crew of loyal human players who are ready to jump to commands and generally be their space bitches like it's some kind of elite prestigious raiding guild from everquest.

So those people will do all the boring stuff while Captain Autism masturbates on the bridge while issuing commands.

Or at least, that's "the dream". Reality would be "You are alone and nobody wants to play with you because lol your social skills are non existent you unlikable gently caress. Have fun with your thousand dollar space barge you can't crew".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Latin Pheonix posted:

But even in ED you could scoop cargo without having to physically carry it, and in every truck simulator i've seen the loading/unloading has been, well, simulated. I guess i just don't understand some people :shrug:.

Fidelity! :byodood:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

You fools!
You cant carry a box on or off a space ship in any of those mediocre games!

In that case the Best Game Ever is already out:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/516750/My_Summer_Car/

You can stack cases of beer wherever you like, piss wherever you like. It's truly the endgame of games.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ground will be amazing.

Remember Elite Dangerous and how fun it was to drive endlessly on massive airless moons with nothing of interest to do outside of a handful of bland activities?

No? Oh.

Oh god, just realized it's going to be even worse than that in SC. In ED you couldn't dismount and it took effort to die in your buggy. So in SC if your ride gets wrecked for whatever reason and you're on foot... well, enjoy your 10 hour hike to the nearest way off the rock (assuming you even have one).

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 23, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bofast posted:

Star Citizen - Hair is a stretch goal

I hope we can choose different weaves for our chest, arm and leg hairs. Oh and nose hairs.

Fidelity! :byodood:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the character creator will support custom tattoos so I can have "heaven this way" in comic sans on the stomach and a large arrow pointing to the crotch of my avatar who will never wear clothes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Update on Elite:

Still a videogame.

I have about a dozen hours in. I learned how to not land like a clown. I started doing some courier missions and trading for peanuts In my sidewinder.

Then got a couple missions for 150k to deliver some trash from point A to point B. Whats the point of trading (at least early on) when there are missions like that?

In any case I now have a Cobra Mk3 kinda set up for mining which I wanted to try. It looks kinda fun in youtube videos.

The sheer scale of the solar systems and game is breathtaking and now when I see a citizen poo poo on ED I actually get a little IRL mad at how disrespectful they are when they have literally nothing.

Once I get a little more established I'll migrate to the "story" areas where the community missions are. I also have yet to gently caress around with engineers or buggys or even combat really. Just been focusing on traveling from point A-B without loving up. Haven't been nonconsensually pvp'd yet.

Overall an 8/10 experience so far.

Sorry friend but karma farming doesn't work on SA.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If only they still had Wingman & Co from the Olden Days of distant memory. Whatever happened to those kooky characters? I'm sure they went off and made their own successful product.

http://steamcharts.com/app/360950

Oh.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

Is the new Descent that bad?
Loved the original 3, yes even the 3rd.

Never played whatever it is they made but before it was even out they alienated the entire Descent community by killing a fan made game to work on their garbage looking death match only one.

Then around the same time this indie game came out that blew them out of the water http://store.steampowered.com/app/327880/Sublevel_Zero_Redux/

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Once we have widespread use of mocap in gaming we can progress to the next stage.

*points to crotch* we're going to mocap these too for avatar interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16172-The-Shipyard-Ship-Technical-Information

Is it just me or are they slowly copying Elite : Dangerous, the game that they hate so much?

As far as I'm concerned both games are just copying Tau Ceti on the Commodore 64.