Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What human interface devices do you oft elect to use

He only uses human restraint devices though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Just catching up with the new thread, but this is one of the stupidest things I have seen on the net.

About the poster:

Widely considered quite the posting genius, Erenthal has been shitposting in a professional capacity on SA for the last 8 years. He owns more belts than is strictly necessary.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Selling fuel and ammo might work, but nothing crash immersion like having to pay your fuel like you do with your car.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

newsletter just went out with some Holiday Livestream deets

Oh wow, a new concept ship????? My interest is certainly piqued!

e: loving el o el at the bar simply named "CONTENT" in their "road map". CONTENT.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

scrubs season six posted:

CIg should start selling plots of land for people's bases or homesteads or whatever. Just have some of the artists crobble together some basic city layouts and then surround them with ~1000 plots of land each. Shitizens will trip over themselves in their hurry to pay thousands of dollars each for the largest/closest pieces of land.

Yeah, and Garriot is already doing this, so I'm actually at a loss why Sandi hasn't pitched this idea to Chrios yet.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ok so serious question about corporate structure.

Any other game developer out there that also uses CIGs model of 10+ different entities conected through an intricate web of ownership and obfuscation? And I'm excluding the massive publishers like EA or Ubi, because they surely have both legitimate as well as illegitimate reasons for having a ton of subsidiaries.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jesus christ this is just pure delusion and insanity. Yes, CR will wave his magic flesh wand across the screen and suddenly invent a technology that will allow smooth 60 fps no lag gameplay with thousands of people by using "dynamic server clusters" and "instance meshes". Uh-hu.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So yeah just got the news letter, and they're already setting the bar low....

The Crobbler posted:

In anticipation of today's Live Stream, I did want to address one thing that I have been seeing speculation on in the forums: whether or not today's Live Stream will feature the Squadron 42 Vertical Slice.

After we made the decision before CitizenCon that the Squadron 42 vertical slice wasn’t ready to be shown publically, we spent some time on reviewing how far off we were and what we wanted to achieve in order to be comfortable showing a full chapter of S42 gameplay. After all the effort we expended for CitizenCon, we didn’t want to spend additional developer time polishing intermediate solutions if it wasn’t going towards the final product. A slick demo isn’t that helpful if it pushes back the finished game, so we decided that the priority should be completing full systems over getting the vertical slice into a showable state.

So no SQ42 guys :(

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ok I just got done playing a game BF1 and switching over to the stream to see their jank-fest lovely early 2006 fps is really goddamn jarring and eye-opening.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Acquilae posted:

lol nope, I just saw a 30 second jump

Holy poo poo, just saw that myself. Is this straight up faked? What could cause this otherwise?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

isn't that from different armor sets?
Just guessing. Oh god I hope so.

Yeah the HUD differences are due to different armour loadouts I think, but the timer is making me scratch my head.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah, more CGI. The mark of progress.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holy lol "VANDULL"

They couldn't even spell their own derivative aliens right.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Crobber is telling us that the 2,8 km long Vandull Kingship will be fully modelled with interiors and being able to explore it.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fully developed Vandull langage confirmed!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fuctifino posted:

I'm wondering if it was a deliberate spelling mistake by a disgruntled employee?...

Well Chris is actually pronouncing it Vandull, while his minions are saying Vanduul.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow Chris, the Vandull are a warrior race with martial ideals? Height of imagination there!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
HE'S COMPARING SQ42 TO STAR WARS AND LORD OF THE RINGS

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good ending. Very professional.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

GUEST STARRING THE SKYPE BLEEP!

loving hellfire.

Oh god, it wasn't just me. I seriously started to scan my task bars.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well, my confidence has certainly been restored.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone watching this and then going "Yep, this seems like a professional outfit that I can trust with 140 million dollars" deserves to be admitted to mental hospital right loving now.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean, the stream (and I only caught the tail end) was littered with statements that by themselves mark this project as an unfinishable scam.

Take the Kingship, and Crobbers casual statement that "yeah, that's fully modelled with interiors you can explore". That's a 2,8 km ship. Just modelling the interior would take entire studios months to complete. And that's not even mentioning getting it to fly in the game without eating up all of the servers memory, getting the systems and animations to work and so on. And he just states it as fact. Jesus loving Christ.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Three of those people look the same :stare:

e: And Jake looks like he's dying of indigestion.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just went back to reconfirm my impressions of last nights stream, and yep.

Not only did Chris Roberts state with certainty that SQ42 would be a trilogy, he said that it would be comparable to the Star Wars or Lord of the Rings trilogies. So yeah. Besides the obvious deluisions, there were no games you could compare your supposed "game" to, Chris? Went straight to movies, huh?

Erenthal fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 17, 2016

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Funny thing is, SA is probably the most welcoming community to people who've gotten refunds vs RSI or Reddit. I have more respect for someone who gets out, at any point, than someone who's going to see it through to the bitter end.

There are times when I can respect sticking to your guns, such as holding fast to a deeply held political ideology even though the world seems to turn against you, or fighting for a good cause though people may find it unpopular. But people refusing to ask for their money back from a shady corporation of scammers that repeatedly gently caress you in the rear end? That's just called being a goddamn idiot.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

PU is Persistent Universe. What is PTU?

It's poo poo

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I might have missed this in the last 6000 pages of threads, but Shankerz is one of us right? Or he's paid? I mean, he has to be paid! I just cannot conceive of an existing reality in which a person this goddamn stupid exists otherwise. It's a black hole. CERN just wasted billions of dollars finding anti-matter, when all they had to do was to open up this guys skull and find plenty.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Waving hands posted:

"We already model atmosphere and different room volumes, so if a door opens or a window gets broken, it will start to remove the atmosphere from the volume," Roberts said. "That is all part of what we're trying to do for 3.0 which will allow for depressurization. People getting sucked out, or things getting sucked out. If you have a suit on you'll be okay. If you don't have a suit on, you'll asphyxiate."

Did Pgabz lie????

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is good news for Star Citizen because now a lot more Cryengine talent is ready to be picked up and put to work bringing Robert's masterpiece to life.

:sassargh: efb

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheLightPurges posted:

Important Issues

Be advised that, in order to receive new lobby invites, you will need to restart the client after every match.

Star Marine Leaderboards are not in-game this build.

New! Star Marine – Whenever a player respawns, all players will experience a lag spike

New! Being invited to a Multiplayer Match, then exiting and joining a Multiplayer game will always put you in a Battle Royale on Broken Moon

How. How do you gently caress things up this badly? It's an engine made for shooting dudes. Even the most inept modders team out there can whip up a simple FPS mode with leaderboards and where the client won't need to be restarted every round. It's just mind-loving-boggling.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean the sheer blinding incompetence of CIG is on display daily like a retarded lighthouse, but I'm still periodically shocked all over again over just how bad it is. It's like this bubble of ineptitude that you get used to when living in this thread and when you leave it you are astounded to see and play games that actually work and are good like BF1 and Astroneer (that I bought because of this thread and it's drat good!).

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wait wait wait, did I miss something here? Does "winning" AC unlock a loving ship for you to buy in store? At least it's for in-game money, right? Not real dollars?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so yeah, they might be doing better on the engine front. They might even get functioning net code. So what?

This does nothing to balance out all the other fuckery they have to deal with. One look at the checks that Crobberts wrote with his mouth and stretch goals will tell you how hosed they still are. No design documents. No gameplay foundation. Not even attempts at balancing the ships. Non-existant flight model. 140 million dollars of pre-sold commodities that will utterly wreck any attempt to create a functioning economy. A (relatively) tiny player base that can never sustain continued operations. Mo-cap reshoots that apparently still are ongoing.

Merry christmas, CIG! May you see another!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rudager posted:

I've always been a big fan of this part, "will never be pay to win" while they've been selling ships from the the original kickstarter that poo poo all over the starter ship, AKA pay to win.

No you see CIG already told us that the operating costs of the big most powerful ships will be so massive when it comes to fuel, ammo, crew, rations and so on that players will only use these ships when absolutely necessary and then only when in huge organisations.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ash1138 posted:

lol

after no man's sky's "eleventy billion planets to explore!!!", you'd think that developers would avoid throwing out big numbers like that

And it's such a meaningless number. Any old gently caress can simply create empty space and top that. Hell, Elite is bound to have orders of magnitudes more "space" to explore, right? It's about what content you can fill the space with, and CIG's pipelines are so far nothing but clogged drinking straws.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

this reminds me of that ridiculous gun from Perfect Dark that tracked heat signatures through walls and just one-shotted fools

good game

PD had a ton of great guns, the Farsight was just the cherry on top. I'm still amazed that they managed to cram that much content into an N64 cartridge.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sale At Albertsons! posted:

Actually, its much cooler to swim with sharks. And not in shark cages. Join the scoobydoos.

When you think about it SEA PATROL has more cohesive and interesting lore and design than Star Citizen.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Interesting analysis posted in that thread: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7435907/#Comment_7435907

Only 6200 backers have played 2.6 Arena Commander Battle Royal mode (most popular). Only 480 of them for more than 2 hours and only 140 of them more than 6 hours so far.

So much for the greatness of the revamped flight model.

Star Marine novelty means 64000 players have tried Last Stand mode of which 5100 have played for more than 2 hours and barely 1000 have played more than 6 hours.

Given MoMA/Toast claims on his time in Star Marine he surely must be top 1% percentile in time played in the community. Way to go Toast. You are one committed citizen, friend.

Wow, those are some really loving poo poo numbers considering this game is about to sell 40+ million copies.

AP posted:

ARCCORP WEAPON HEAD

ACTUAL RESULT
Weapon is stuck in head. Scope is detached and is hovering next to the helmet

EXPECTED RESULT
To see character without weapons sticking out of my head

Finally, Gunther Hermann´s dreams are fulfilled. He did ask for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

DUTCH RAILROAD LOGO USED IN VANGUARD WARDEN

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Walk up to cockpit of Vanguard Warden
2 Look up
3 See the logo of Dutch Railways (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nederlandse_Spoorwegen)

ACTUAL RESULT
Copyright issues?

EXPECTED RESULT
Not using a protected logo cause them Dutchies are greedy and will sue ;)

Oh and it's nice to see that Archer has been rehired.