Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

MedicineHut posted:

AFAIK there are no reviews for early access in Steam, no?. Plus Early Access is not a Steam exclusive I suppose. CIG can just launch SC Early Access in their own web no?

Steam early access definitely has reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I wrote a script to scrape the Frontier store. The total cost of all cosmetics as of like a month ago was five dollars less than an Idris.

Game + expansion is still cheaper than just about every Star Citizen game package.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

That's not gameplay.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Wow the picture settings on both their streamers are wildly different.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

hakimashou posted:

Whats the highlights from the shitshow thing?

Game's priorities are on fluff instead of focussing purely on function and gameplay, developers showed off how hilariously easy it is to get your $400 ship griefed while you're off doing a mission that took you an hour to get to, and there's another $400 ship on sale now with a bed in the upper deck's open floor plan for you Captain Kirk types out there.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Chev posted:

Regarding why it's favorable, it's easy: it's the only way to avoid cheating and desynchronization. You're mostly right regarding the scale, though like all physics problems the complexity can at least be brought down somewhat by good clustering of objects. There's that other crowdfunded space game that was linked in here, kinda minecraft in space but with round planets and all, that claimed to do that, they had a nifty demo video with wireframe cubes showing the dynamic clustering but heck if I remember how that was called, though that probably only brings you up to a couple hundreds. Beyond that the only real answer is simpler physics and avoiding direct manipulation so lag matters less, which is why actual MMOs like Wow clones or Eve don't have twitch gameplay.

Sounds like you were talking about Dual Universe? That game is also going Eve-like with how weapons work.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I applied to CIG for a copywriter position they had advertised earlier in the year partially because I was offended by the quality of prose on display, and partly because I really want to turn far too many years of writing and editing into profit. When I checked back a long time after to see what was up (I didn't even get a rejection letter from an HR robot) they denied that there was ever such a listing after making me get an account on their HR system.

Chris Roberts eats his editorial staff. :tinfoil:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Learning C++ in high school was a miserable experience. C# and Java in tertiary was much nicer. Learning Python on my own initiative in the workplace and getting my job done a lot faster was even better.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

PederP posted:

Yeah, C++ is not a good choice for high school level courses. And Python as a productivity tool when you already know what you're doing is perfectly fine. But at university-level or some self-teaching who wants to be a good programmer, I don't think there is any escaping C++. Not that there is any reason to avoid it - it's a perfectly good language to work with, even if it is not the best choice for all tasks.

I am surprised at all the negative experiences so many of you had with it, I had a jolly good time learning it (mostly on my own) back in the day, and so did the people around me. Perhaps it's easier for a bad teacher to make a mess of the course with C++ than with many other languages.

Edit: Nalin speaks wisdom.

Yeah, a bad teacher makes it a lot harder to learn, especially if they don't have any real understanding of programming themselves and are just running off coursework without being able to offer much help. Learning C# has helped me going back into C++, and I quite agree with what Nalin has to say. I've made a few things in GameMaker, and by the time you're aware of the scripting-related weirdness in the engine, you've probably got a good enough idea of what you want to do in Unity.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I really have no idea who greenlit the Hammerhead video all but saying "Hey this thing is a white elephant and maintaining this thing is a pain in the rear end that requires a lot of manual busywork" right before going HEY BUY THE HAMMERHEAD!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Latin Pheonix posted:

Cute cat, I'll take it! :v:

Just had a thought on Discord this morning. That giant footprint that appears when you shoot the railgun at the ground; the decal itself might be an error, but what I found odd was just how big it was. Then it struck me: Wasn't there a theory that in order to make planets on SC, everything on Cryengine was scaled-down from a normal map size? If so, maybe the footprint isn't big, they just forgot to downscale it?

Any thoughts?

Yeah I wanna say they did the same thing MWO did where everyone is 'actually' the size of a chipmunk as far as the engine is concerned?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

This terrible game runs at low single digit FPS on a pretty high-spec machine.

When set to low.

At 1024x768.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Bofast posted:

A Larian made Fallout game in a decent engine would probably have been a blast, yeah.

drat. That really would be an excellent pairing.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I hope that spotlight kitty managed to get back up okay. :ohdear:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

kingcom posted:

I'm going to be profoundly disappointed if this doesn't happen now. Do a reality caving in on itself as a entropy substitution endgame crisis.

Excuse me, Mr Contingency, but while you were busy slaughtering my people you didn't tell us if entropy can be reversed. :ohdear:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Kosumo posted:

How long until they start selling Vandul Tanks? (Limited amount, limited time ..... till more arrive and the time is right)

And need a giant knife-stick-torch to turn the ignition on?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Saladin Rising posted:

There was a space game I played in high school. It was fun as hell.

https://twitter.com/rakeingrass/status/962431126412386304

I am going to watch as the sequel to that game is released before Star Citizen ever is, despite the fact that the team behind this game is literally three people.

I know there's someone else in this thread who played this game and is now super excited. Come on, be excited with me.

Pretty excited about this too. :toot:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Why were those swivel thrusters with like two seconds of turning time between positions ever a thing instead of just being a fixed block with switchable vents?

E: because nobody in the office could say no, Chris, this is silly.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Slow_Moe posted:

Nice, am I correct in assuming that this is a clan mech?

Actually it's a Centurion.

Nice iteration on the Crobbear though. :shobon:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

trucutru posted:

In the sixth stimpire everybody is forced to play star citizen 24/7, while listening to anime songs

Bring back the fourth! BRING BACK THE FOURTH!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Holy crap. I remember having some time to kill at work when that thread was a thing and implementing a super bare bones guillotine breeding simulator. :stare:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Axegrinder posted:

To me, this is the most important thread on the forums.

- It inspired and guided me to get a refund, saving me $260.

- The posting quality is amazing - I'm in awe - and the entertainment is never-ending.

- I used to worship Chris Roberts, back in the Wing Commander 3 days; now my eyes are open, and the awakening has been painful.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: thank you, thread, for helping me to grow as a person.

To business: as part of the Pillars of Eternity 2 fig-starter, I pledged for three extra Steam keys, to celebrate the purchase of my new apartment. Pillars Of Eternity is like a modern version of Baldur's Gate, but more in-depth and grimdark. It's excellent, easily the best game I've ever backed, and the sequel is just out.

I now have three Steam keys for Pillars of Eternity 2 Fig Edition to award to whoever requests them first. Kindly give me a way to contact you. One lucky responder will also get a season pass for the game.

I would be very interested in a key, please. :) Can you please contact me by PM? I can't afford new games at the moment and I'm very grateful you're doing this! :shobon:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Axegrinder posted:

The PoE2 keys have been claimed.

Congratulations to Taintrunner, Golli, and Anticheese. You will be contacted by PM shortly.

Enjoy!

Thanks a ton, Axegrinder! And here's to another game made while Star Citizen has been spinning its wheels :)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Merlin, if you want to keep posting, you'll need to make an intro post in GBS before the end of the month.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

What are the odds that the MISC Razor was named under the influence of seeing the Razorback, a rad racing ship, in more recent episodes of The Expanse?

High. Those are high odds.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The Imperium isn't gonna give a crap about this broken terrible game. At least in other broken terrible games you can actually do things :v:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Nebiros posted:

I knew I was forgetting one. Makes me wish Brigador had proper helicopters now though. Also go play Brigador you goons, become one with your inner war criminal.

Brigador is cool and good.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

trucutru posted:

Did someone say... Cheetamen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbC5dBqTI-k

Just compare that to Star Citizen's soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r6G3ORUo1U

I was fully expecting the interview with the squeaky fursuiter to be the first link.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The lore is offensively bad and fashy, and for all they asked "Wouldn't it be cool if you could own your own passenger liner and serve Hairy Roberts??" they never asked what the gently caress that means in a world where everyone and every vehicle bigger than a golf cart is armed to the teeth.

It's pretty telling that the closest results to lore discussion on /r/starcitizen are an illustrated rough timeline of the game's story (lol 'knife era') and "Hey why aren't there droids in the year 28whatever?).

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Grubby Hobo posted:

The reason for no droids? Butlerian Jihad. Sandworm out front shoulda told you.

It's funny because it's true.

Also, if you have droids, how on earth are you going to have space stevedore jobs for poors who don't buy their own cargo ship???

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Peter.Quint posted:

It's like a game of Cluedo (Clue to Americans) now, isn't it.

I reckon TheAgent is Minus 5 IQ Derek on Twitter using the "Derek harrasses women".

He's pretty clearly TheGremlich and TheGoonSmasher. :colbert:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Oh my god :allears:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

SelenicMartian posted:

Why IS there a double=barrelled sniper rifle, and can we get Gun Jesus to comment on it?

Chris Roberts just discovered Borderlands.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Mr. Despair posted:

I think it's supposed to be a gas tube or similar, except it's a short recoil system based on the barrel moving, so it's probably safe to say that they just don't know how guns work and wasted a bunch of everyone's time.

Nah. It's a two-shot burst that's still inexplicably bolt-action.

But according to gun nuts on Reddit, these ridiculous nonsensical weapons are actually totally okay and in keeping with their manufacturer's flavour.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

no_recall posted:

gently caress this crossover has me wanted to resub to EVE. My ships are still staged in the last Goonswarm move. Where are we now staged now btw?

Nullsec stations just changed over to being citadels, so you should be able to have your poo poo shipped wherever you want.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Re: Hazeronchat over the last few pages, I am down for Hazeron if we can get a group interested, even for like a month. Teamwork is OP, and in the last free-to-play hurrah of Hazeron, a goon raiding party had a great time just going around the universe.

Hastily thrown together Discord invite link for planning and stuff.

The game is a hot mess but there's absolutely nothing else like it out there, and it'd be neat to see how the game has come along. We might as well get one stupidly ambitious space game with (more or less) seamless spaceflight and first-person shipwalking out of this thread.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 19, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is there a definitive EVE wiki? I keep looking for the place to just look up pretty pictures of ships, or the events of player wars, or lore (which i KNOW doesn't matter and nobody cares about, but from what little I've seen it's very good mild-flavored window-dressing lore)

EVE Uni is a pretty good bet.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Gravity_Storm posted:

So thanks to you guys i rolled a new Eve account, played through the rutorial and im now enjoying a spot of mining (yeah i actually like mining). Any idea how one might go about joining a goonfleet?

Here's the thread from the MMO HMO.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I lost my grandfather about ten years ago, and I wish I had known about his hidden love for sci-fi. It was only through sheer luck that I found a couple anthologies in a big box of things that were getting thrown out, and I treasure them to this day.

I'm sure that he'd think Star Citizen is stupid and bad on every level.

e: added relevant cat

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Beet Wagon posted:

How you're supposed to see anything through that insanely bright and right-in-the-way eyeball HUD overlay thing is beyond me to begin with, so there's not much point in trying to aim at stuff

They were super proud that they had the Iron Man UI designer onboard, and completely failed to realise that stuff was all about looking flashy and impressive rather than being actually functional and useful for long periods of time.

It's CIG's love of flash over substance in miniature.