Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CrazyLoon posted:

Whaddup, fellow muscle-lady lovin' bro?

But yea, I don't blame The Titanic for not completing it. Pick the wrong talents and you can legit get yourself stuck with no way of progressing.

Now, I know that it's colloquially called “a rack”, but come on, it's not actually load-bearing equipment. :cripes:
Oh well, at least it's nice to see that CIG aren't the only ones not to understand physics or how straps work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

well HECK Phil posted:

Guy needs a hug.

But you might catch something :stonk:

e: Also, I'm pretty sure he'd resist because he'd think he might catch something. Like rational thought — that most insidious of viruses threatening to destroy the very foundation of starcitizenshipdomness.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 8, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

no_recall posted:

I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YESNObZJTgQ

Seems like everything Star Citizen isn't.

…other than out now for the platform advertised (that particular qualification is necessary to make them the same). But Q2 '17 seems a lot more reasonable than 2014 15 16 17 18 19?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

What the whales really want could be done, gradually. Frontier is not that far from achieving it if they started focusing on adding an FPS component to their game and could even improve it with player faction controlled regions of space one day. Gradually, as they have been doing, building up on a solid foundation. I have zero doubt Braben could do an extremely fun game along those lines if given the level of funding Chris got.

Someone over at FDev forums made a year-by-year comparison of what CIG had collected since the kickstarter, and FDev's revenue over the same period. Turns out, they're pretty similar, except FDev is run like a normal public company that developed two products, released one of them (the other was released soon after the last statement) and then continued to support it with expansions, whereas CIG is built like a tax dodge and has consistently failed to get either of its two products into any semblance of a releasable state.

So while it's still a bit questionable whether Braben could have done what Chris couldn't — we'll have to wait until further expansions come along to see if that one is true or not — the opposite is perhaps both a more interesting and a more easily answered question: why can't Chris do what Braben did?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TheLightPurges posted:

Yea the "Star Citizen difference" was that they were gonna make the whole game then release while "Elite was only gonna be a quarter game expanded over time".

Now SC is doing that and its now the "correct" way to do it.

…except then Elite does it — then it's the wrong way. :D

Also, FDev is a nasty evil publisher-type company, gouging its customers with episodic DLC and cosmetic microtransactions, which makes them horrible compared to CIG, who are delivering the best in universe expansion through episodic DLC and non-cosmetic macrotransactions.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 8, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

when i first heard it i thought it was a joke. sadly, it is not

Of course it's not a joke. It even has the bonus of some minor connotation to being an in-group, meaning that even though it represents an inherent out-group, it's something to belong to and be smug about. :downsgun:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Oleyo posted:

Ok, Ok, I will stop. We don't really need to do this again....

:shrug: What else is there to do? It's not like CIG is doing anything useful that we can mock them for. We probably have to wait for the next livestream for that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Eldragon posted:

There are of course dark horrible places […]. Maybe derek lives in one of those places.

But enough about Florida.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Since you're reading this, Hi-ban, you know why. It's because I called you a liar after you lied, and you were afraid that this reflect poorly on your future lies. Now you're doing it again, you silly git. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

stingtwo posted:

Is it just me or does the plane dip a little once it leaves the launching zone.

Oh god it's just the wing commander movie.

CRobber. CRobber never changes.

Or at least his understanding of physics and of space never does. Kind of impressive for someone who claims to have “taken physics classes” at Manchester. Maybe he meant some grade school, rather than the university, because that's about the level of his grasp of the topic…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mirificus posted:

Speaking of physics, did you like the death ray tank I posted? The physics made me think of you when I found it :)

I think my brain rejected it out of hand and I scrolled right past it. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

XK posted:

Today I learn that every company is crowdfunded because they get money from customers.
We all know that economics and business is not a citizen forte, no need to belabour the point. Well, unless it's fun. Which is always.

quote:

I think we all know why he dropped out of college.
My question is more how the hell he even got in.

…come to think of it, if it weren't for the alledged 12-year difference in age between them, I would almost expect he and Sandi went to the same forge-your-credentials seminar. But that would be mean. And too likely to really be comfortable.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 8, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

XK posted:

Carrier deck operations in a space ship is pretty silly. I'm pretty sure the ships would just be ejected out via some automated contraption. Whether that be torpedo tube style, flinging them out of a wider bay, computer controlled departure, or something even more innovative, invoking modern aircraft carrier launching procedures just shows an absolute and complete lack of imagination.

I'd imagine some kind of overhead gantry crane that just pushes the ship outside the hangar and closes the airlocks (if for some moronic reason you need a pressurised hangar to begin with). Then push off with RCS and be on your merry way.

Maybe someone should show Aliens to Chris — it's even from the same year as Top Gun and it is a far more sensible source to Archer from.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 8, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

XK posted:

What does it pay to be the guy who waves his hands around to direct space ships? What are the button combinations to wave your hands around? How many shitizens are drooling at the opportunity for this job?

Screw the shitizens. Imagine how many goons are drooling at the opportunity.

More specifically, at the opportunity of taking the job of the launch master, who never acknowledges any of the signs and never clears the ship for launch, thus blocking the entire hangar for everyone. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nicholas posted:

lets not forget that ships already take off and land in the PU without the need for a deck crew or a special apparatus. so i really dont get the point of this

That's just a pre-alpha shortcut until they refactor the tedium-pass.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Rabelais D posted:

"The best thing about it is the animations aren't canned at all" says the man, as the canned animations play twice...

But remember! Animation blending of skeletal animations is a completely revolutionary technique that hasn't been done before so we can finally get out from under the yoke of having completely stiff models rattle around the hangar in response to forces that won't affect the player.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

*random npc walks past the player and straight into the wall, his arm gets stuck and he jitters off into space at 5,000mph*

But it didn't rattle around the hangar, now did it? Check mate, goonie! :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Coincidentally, this is a vastly more accurate depiction of a quasar than anything CRobber has ever managed (and it's still hideously wrong for that purpose).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

So wait, is/was Er_Dova one of the public nutcases, or more of an insulated reddit one?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Obviously, this finally proves that SC is a better game than E:D, since apparently there is no wallhack/aimbot on offer for that game and that can only mean that there is no interest in it.

Also, am I reading that right: are they promising ship combat aimbots? So much for an advanced flight model. :cawg:

Exinos posted:

Polished games like Infinite Warfare and ME:Andromeda are being released and all CIG has for their magnum opus, Due November 2014, is this lovely hanger scene .

Nuh-uh. What they have is pre-vis of a lovely hangar scene. Stop spreading FUD, goonie! :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Naw they only have one dude with those glowy wands.

…and with that kind of hangar clutter, I rather expect it to be tricky to parallel-park your X-wing without his help.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

What's the parking sensor for, then?

X-Wings didn't have those. Some fool mounted quad lasers and dual proton torpedo tubes instead. Makes parking harder, but blowing up Death Stars easier.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

SC is like 10% fidelitousness, 90% cradling your hairy knees and crying.

So wait, is this some kind of Naglfar deal? The more we shave our knees, the longer we can stave off the coming of SC?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Propagandist posted:

Can someone explain to me why they need to launch ships from a carrier as if they need to pick up speed and create lift?

Because Chris is a creatively bankrupt hack.

quote:

It's space. Just kick the thing out.

Chris doesn't understand how space — or indeed physics in general — works.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

thatguy posted:

Why did you get banned from that other website only you and Derek use? You should go talk poo poo at r/dereksmart since they don't seem to like you very much and it might be funny.

The problem with that is the r/ at the beginning. There is a limit to how much I'm willing to debase myself, and below that limit, there's roughly -∞ and then there's reddit.

I got banned from FDev (it should be up by now) because I called a guy a liar after he repeatedly lied about things I supposedly had said, which he “proved” by presenting quotes of me saying the exact opposite. He and I have about the same amount of infractions, and he reported me first so I got kicked out and he got to stay to lie some more. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Seriously watch this and check out how little Chris knows about gravity :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

Quite, and that clip is why I'm not just limiting it to space but extend it to all physics. The problem he's having isn't just one of not grasping zero gravity, but of not understanding the very basics of conservation of momentum. Now, I don't know if the UK educational system was particularly horrible in the '70s, but around here, we learn about that core principle in 7th grade (±confusion over what counts as, and the exact order of, a “grade” in various countries).

If he was even remotely as interested in the topic as he claims, he would have grasped what Garriott was saying based on that knowledge alone… and yet, he keeps trying to argue against a man who has actual personal experience with the effects.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TheLightPurges posted:

He has a large amount of excess fat from eating copious amounts of calories.

I say! :monocle:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dancy-catte!! NOOOO!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Daztek posted:

He's just being refactored, don't worry, everything is normal

You monster!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

XK posted:

There's a ship with a part marked parking sensor on it?

I remember seeing some picture with a thing circled talking about parking sensor, but I guess I didn't look close enough. I thought people were just making fun of faked gun locations or something, and circling a tiny feature where the shots appear to come from.

No, the rocket launcher-looking part in question was very explicitly labelled as an actual parking sensor.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Quavers posted:

What is a server 'tick'? Does that mean 1 frame per 10 seconds?

It's one round of calculations in the world simulation. It takes 10 seconds for the server to collect, process, and respond to the actions of players, whereas it normally does that process in 1 second. In most cases, this would equate to horrible lag, but in EVE, they've turned it into an anti-lag measure of sorts by actually slowing time down on both the client and the server end.

Everything moves at 10% normal speed, so the server can keep up without (some) of the usual breakage that would be created by that kind of latency.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Time to reintroduce the suicide hotline links in the OP.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Fooma posted:

Why does StarMarine matter so much when most players will abandon it after a month like Arena Commander? Just to prove Derek Smart wrong?

Because when you desperately need to show some kind of progress, as even your faithful have begun asking why there's so little of it, whipping up an FPS in an FPS engine seems like a pretty neat way of creating a lot of progress with very little work, thus ensuring that the faithful remain faithful and keep sending you money.

At the same time, actual progress would be disastrous because then the faithful might stop sending you money to make the dream come true. Thus, making progress in a wholly irrelevant area is an excellent way of progressing without actually getting closer to anything, which is why SM is so important.

Now, if they could only make the FPS engine behave well enough to actually allow an FPS to be made in it…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Skellybones posted:

What makes a $500,000 car ten times better than a $50,000 one? Like where do the costs go, does the chassis use iridium alloys or something? Endangered species hides for seat covers?

The $500k one is something your neighbours might notice; the $50k one is what your dog stylist drives. Welcome to the world of cost not being related to “better” or “worse” any more.

Or to paraphrase Christian von Koenigsegg: “you get our car because you don't want something mass-produced that everyone drives, like a Ferrari.” Now, granted, picking a Porsche means you've already debased yourself by picking a tasteless every-man's brand so that price tag just means you've overpaid… :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Skellybones posted:

You'd think a former luxury car salesman would be slightly more savvy when it comes to being scammed, but here we are.

Maybe he never actually managed to break into the upper tier of that market… kind of like how he never managed to break into A-list Hollywood. Or maybe he just doesn't have any taste.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tokamak posted:

Not animations, but animation. This is the one true 'getting in and out of chairs' animation that is going to be copy/pasted for maximum fidelity.

Pff. We already got that 11 years ago.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

tooterfish posted:

They don't have enough ping pong balls.

No one does.

So when Mythbusters tested that whole idea of raising a sunken boat with ping pong balls, they should have just inserted Ben instead?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

thats like raising the titanic with the hindenburg

So… absolutely awesome?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Amazing. And I seem to recall they've had similar problems before, but with characters being removed at the edge of FoV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

AP posted:

According to this guy the hangars are getting smaller, I assume they are trying everything they can to improve performance. "Everything" meaning the simple stuff that doesn't require a lot of effort.

Also, things that really shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to begin with. Wth?!