Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Iglocska posted:

The surgeon in the meanwhile died of a terrible case of lovely finances, but to Cate's surprise a second surgeon also took a copy of the picture she sent in and created a photoshopped image of what he could sculpt out of her. She was absolutely enthusiastic about the result and partially due to the massive brain damage caused by the sledge hammer, she exclaimed to the world that she switched surgeons and that she now looks like the picture the surgeon created.
Yeah, I think this works better too.
Plus there is no way in hell Cate will ever recover from the damage she's done to her face and look anywhere close to her old self, let alone what the second surgeon photoshopped.

But at least she's happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Chalks posted:

So literally nothing has changed what so ever? How is anyone even talking about this?

Yes. And they do like to parp, so there is your answer.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So there's a version history that says Lumberyard 3.6, 3.7, etc?

Parry calls it that. But he admits it's essentially the CryEngine code. Because Amazon forked LumberYard and started adding and changing stuff at Cryengine 3.8.1.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Drunk Theory posted:

Not sure why. This is the most openly developed game in history. Which is why we needed to find this out from an non-engine team employee on a subforum for a competitors product.

Basically, what I'm saying is that no one will care except people who already critical of CIG.

Yeah, I kinda agree with XK here. Parry is blabbing too much for his own good, and him being a member of the development team his quotes could be used in the press/ articles about Star Citizen (like that Kotaku one) which could potentially hurt the company.

I do hope that he'll keep his job and no one will care though, because so far he has provided gold.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Chalks posted:

Hey guys, I've just found out that CIG have upgraded Crysis 2 to use the Star Citizen legacy engine! It's a big deal I promise.

Here, I drew a picture to illustrate it:

ComfyPants posted:

I guess what I'm not clear on is if they left Jennifer on the porch during the 3.8 Cryengine line, how does she appear on the porch in the Lumberyard line at the end of the 3rd movie?

These are both excellent.

his nibs posted:

Don't worry guys, Montoya explains all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UieVs5k0abU
Jesus Christ, he started off by doing the same paint figure that Parry did. (But then he naturally went off and speculated that a lot more was done, than what actually happened).

Edit:

Sillybones posted:

Does there even exist a 3.7 or what ever backwards version of the Amazon engine? It seems like they just decided that it exists. Did they download it from some Amazon repo? Is there anyone left from Crytek to sue them?

There's no 3.7 backwards version for Lumberyard. There's the CryEngine 3.7 version for which apparently Amazon's license includes access to its source code (as well as maybe more history versions stuff from CryEngines repository), but Amazon didn't change anything to CryEngine 3.7. They forked from 3.8.1 and only then did they start adding their own code. But because of the license thing, it's Parry's opinion that Star Engine can now say they switched to Lumberyard ("legacy code"), while essentially remaining forked off CryEngine 3.7 and doing nothing else.

For the record, and not to make anything more complicated, but Amazon's engine (LumberYard) is at beta 1.6

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 30, 2016

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Is it also spinning? Please, God, let it be spinning!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Yeah, it's getting harder and harder to contain the people making fun of the lovely pre-alpha build state and/or finding ways to make them "fun" for them (hence the hax!). It's definitely not just goons / leavers anymore.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Happy New Year.

And condolences to everyone whose 2016 was a lovely year and lost people close to them. Mine was like that too, and unfortunately some of it crosses over to 2017.

But, at least I'm excited about the gem that 3.0 will be. And S42 first pre-pre-proper episode.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Mr.PayDay posted:

So pumped for 2017 and 3.x :dance:

And those are just the most important bullet points.
Think of the fidelity and the loads of features that go unmentioned.

They are going to have a nightmare of an amazing year.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I like this, my prediction is no 3.0 this year.
I think he will change it again to 2.8,9 etc. all to keep the dream running.

My prediction:
They will go for a minimal 3.0 release on July. All or most of the important stuff will be shifted to 3.1, and nope, that is not coming in 2017, and there'll be still too much left to go until 3.2 and certainly 4.0 come 2018.
No SQ42 release whatsoever. Maybe a "demo" for their cons.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In the beginning backers were to get Star Citizen, Squadron 42, and early backers were also going to get "Behind Enemy Lines" which was some kind of expansion back.

Then it somehow ended up that Squadron 42 was being split into three episodes and that backers would only get Episode 1. Early backers would get Episode 2, everyone would have to pay for Episode 3.

As far as I know that's still how things are intended to go, but as is usually the case there's no point in expecting anything until it actually happens.

It doesn't seem to have changed much, but it still somehow seems messy...

Also, yeah I don't remember anything about episodes being mentioned when I pledged. And nothing was mentioned about an option for the "expansion pack".

But I wasn't an early backer so I must have missed that "Behind Enemy Lines" promise. Pity, because backer exclusive poo poo like that, do trigger me and I would have never backed this loving garbage company in the first place.

And then, what the gently caress is the prelude or whatever? Is it episode one, or a prologue to episode one?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's not backer exclusive. CIG would never avoid offering something for sale deny fans the chance to access content.
I guess you are right.

I still find it lovely that after "pledging" for SQ42 I found that they had already planned a DLC for the non-existing vanilla game, and which later became a full episode, and a sequel to the non-existing game which later became episode 3.

But you know. You throw these on the pile until you get to the point where the stink compels you to get a refund.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

BeefThief posted:

Isn't the official SQ42 release date March 31st of this year?
lol, no. Officially there is no date; hence the "delayed indefinitely" recent article title, post cit-con.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The netcode analysis guy also wonders why the update packets get so big that they have to be split into segments sometimes (when other better FPS use way smaller packets, which is more efficient and alleviates lag).

I am guessing the 64bit precision may have to do something with this, as well as whatever inefficient format they use for the information in those packets (clear text? xml? json?)

He takes the time to do that elaborate intro and explain ping and additional delays due to update rates, and then tries to even the field by subtracting the round-trip lag for Star Citizen (since there is currently no server in Amsterdam); he clearly wants the game to perform better after a few months of updates.

Such as shame that it won't; it will become worse. Hopefully, that won't crush his spirit.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Hav posted:

Packets are usually around 1500 bytes (depending on MTU, and when you get into high capacity, jumbo frames), but there's a couple of headers, so that reduces the payload somewhat. If they're encrypted, that will reduce the capacity by another 25% - they should be encrypted, as that stops local injection. TCP is ordered, which means that you're supposed to get the packets in the right order; miss a packet and it's resent. For this reason people used to use UDP; drop a UDP packet and nobody gives a gently caress. Streams use this a lot because they're like hoses, whereas TCP is entirely transactional.

Content of the packets depends on the protocol; Again, some have very customized protocols that attempt to tighten up lag.

They are using UDP aren't they? The "netcode" analysis guy was looking at UDP packets. I think it makes sense for this case, even if some packets may get lost.

But yeah, the payload format depends on their protocol. And it seems that they are not doing something efficient with it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Merging SQ42 with Star Citizen would make sense. It's idiotic for them to keep to making two games when they practically and provenly can't handle developing one, while the project management is chaotic due to parpy Chris and marketing stuff is taking up all or most of their resources.

However, it would be another link in their chain of broken promises and they have already sold SQ42 as separate packets to get more moneys. It also dramatically reduces the scope of SQ42 (lol 3 episodes with hours and hours of missions and gameplay).

I was more interested in SQ42 than whatever impractical and unfeasable stuff they were dreaming about their MMO.

I am glad that I got out before SQ42 implodes and "is now in the game".

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

quote:

To sum this section up: I think CIGs focus is wrong. They got enough money. They are funded. They should focus on the actual gameplay and less on adding more and more fluff. Also rethink your PR. Act like the company you are, funded by the people. All your bills are paid by us, treat us with respect

Bingo.
Although, this is not a recent development. It's been this project's biggest problem (as far as actually developing a viable game goes) for years.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

This is awesome!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

tooterfish posted:

It's probably just a coincidence, "2016" could mean anything.

It's just a new shorthand date format "yymd". It means 6th of January 2020. I thought it was quite clear.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

lol. As opposed to the other stuff that are already in the game?
This. This is still to do?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Most everything is implemented in some barebones form so far in our hands or in dev. These are just far out features that haven't really been design doc'd out.

Hmm, I'm going to safely ignore the "or in dev" because of how CIG handles their open development and how much fake the whole 3.0 showcase was (or do you really believe they had a 3.0 slice back in August?)

What's "most everything" then? Specifically. From that list in the reddit quote.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Everything in that list is included in the game it just hasn't been implemented yet.

Yes. That makes it better.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TrustmeImLegit posted:

He was speaking off the cuff entertaining thousands of people and some took it extremely literally.
I am going to guess that among those who took it literally were the people who bought ship jpegs that day.

Then, CIG delivered nothing on the secrit 3.0 build, nothing on SQ42 and barely managed to have a half-assed 2.6 build ready by end-of year. All the while spending resources in demos and ship promos.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Amazon has also invested big moneys on Star Citizen, since they need CIG's precious fidelity code and 64bit precision to enhance Lumberyard.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Everything new I find out about this game's piece's of crap design and dreams makes me even happier I got out.

If you have put money in this scam, I suggest you start the process for a refund ASAP.

"I am no longer supporting this retarded project, which chases dreams, while still being in unimpressive pre-alpha and can't possibly ever be released " and it is so much better than "well, it's not there yet, but they are trying and I hope in the end it won't suck like it currently does".

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Fain80 posted:

And....

I am out of this poo poo show.

Holy Christ it feels great! It's like a huge burden has been lifted.
Congrats! It was the right thing to do.

And yeah, it felt great for me for the base amount. I can't imagine the relief after refunding that huge amount of money.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

no_recall posted:

What milestones? The ones they completely missed last year or the ones from the year before, and the ones before the year before the year before it?
I hope for more sloppy Gantt charts.

Kosumo posted:

Star Citizen: Where the only fun is in refund
Hey, I see it too! So , it was there all along.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

AP posted:

Interest in 2.6 is fading.

25 bug reports in last 24 hours.

From what I understand SQ42 doesn't work at all and work hasn't really started on 3.0.

Gamescom is in August, so given past history don't expect a major patch before then. I dunno if they'll make to August given the numbers of senior staff leaving and the start of the rumoured lay offs.

Please be nice to moma during this difficult time.

Their current plan should indeed be to have something significant ready by August. Typically this could be a fake demo/ doubtful gameplay like last year (which albeit fake, achieved its goal and got everyone and their dog excited). So they would just put in crunch time (like they seem to do) for an isolated demo.

However, fingers crossed, this scammy technique had its last good run last year and can no longer fly with most of the backers. In spite of the most stubborn shills efforts to spin this somehow. CIG probably has figured that out already or will be very soon.

So, bottom line, I expect more interesting ways for them to disappoint and fail this year.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sillybones posted:

I'm so sorry. I have no idea.

Wonderful and accurate.

The art in this thread can be so good.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

But can he do the expressions of sleepy coked-up Chris?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
2.6.1 in mid-February, for Christ sakes. And then already planned a 2.6.2 after that?

And that means more delay for a decent patcher (which is "planned" for one of the 3.x builds).

Wasn't the whole point of the jesus 3.0 branch that they would drop 2.x not-code and not-planets and focus on stabilizing 3.0 awesomesauce asap?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Except for the fact that there are indeed also deadlines in a project.
Or there should be.

There aren't any for scams, though.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Darkman Fanpage posted:

im obsessed with a video game i claim to hate
That seems to be the least of your problems.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sillybones posted:

Do you still have to download the whole thing every patch?

Yes.

According to the guy on that video, they also do this internally. Exchanging 10s of gigabytes for each build between developers.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I am not sure what I would prefer most.

- Game review sites increasingly starting to hint or openly warn people to stay the gently caress away from the train-wreck that is the Star Citizen project or
- SC reaching beta or release something in some form (SQ42 prelude) and getting terrible reviews with no "but it's still pre-alpha" to hide behind.

I tend to think the second option would be more hilarious; and more realistic considering that game sites would rather hide behind community polls and cautious optimistic commentary while SC is still officially under development (and in pre-alpha).

It would also be interesting to hear what people in the industry and popular title game developers really think about what this project's feasibility and viability chances are. Based on my experience, I'd bet that there wouldn't be one among them that wouldn't consider this project at this point hosed and way beyond salvageable.

But again, at least publicly we won't be hearing much of that (ok Derek is one, but he is pretty much it so far, right?) until it's absolutely safe to say so and not get attacked by colleagues and especially Shitizen cultists/shills.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Wiz posted:

It really doesn't get discussed that much, honestly. Usually only in context of comparing it to other disastrous projects or mentioning Roberts when talking about incompetent bosses. It's a standing joke but the joke's pretty old by now.

Also the occasional "how do we get these guys as customers" joke about the megawhales.

Hmm, I expected as much.

The joke getting old and people sort of kind of forgetting about it (even the small backers) is probably the best "place to be" for CIG. Drawing more light and attention to the project (with a beta SC/PU, or a SQ42 prelude) is more likely to hurt them than anything else.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Quavers posted:

The Early Access launch of Hellion has been delayed to Feb 24th:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5ttU1q8qRI

The feature-progress page is suspiciously open development: https://www.playhellion.com/features

Looks interesting and ambitious but more grounded than Star Citizen's dreams. It will be early access and it's multiplayer only so I'd still be cautious to buy this day one, but I'll keep an eye on it.

They state that many of their planned features are "complete"; they will be included in the Early Access release but they will be expanded upon and improved based on feedback.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
That's their standard process for refunds, and, albeit it seems like you are talking to some polite robot I think they are not entirely automated and they do update this (maybe trying different stuff to convince you to have a change of mind).

All of the people who request a refund will get an e-mail with a bunch of videos and text that says that you will be missing out on this great game they are making and talking about weekly and showcasing at conventions. Mine did mention at the end that if I still wanted a refund all I had was to confirm that (again) and then send my Paypal info.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Ghostlight posted:

In the future star citizen will have perfect vr because when it's being played by robots it can just worry about rendering the virtual space without needing to work around things like motion sickness and other problems peculiar to the human brain.

In the future, someone figures out that Chris'wavy hands are accessing an AR game dreams programming interface that only he is able to see to weave his ideas into SC.

Or they find out he is a hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

trucutru posted:

From the montly report:

quote:

The Oxygen, Breathing & Stamina systems have started being implemented and soon we will have players begin to carry their own oxygen supplies or risk turning blue in the face. The system should handle everything from how the oxygen tank delivers breathable air to the helmet, to how the player breathes said air and how his body converts that into actual usable stamina. At the same time, all actions are being converted to consume this stamina, so you will want to keep your character supplied with oxygen if you want them to be capable of performing various actions.

:downs:
This text is a direct interpretation of Chris' random wavy gestures.
And nothing more.