Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

peter gabriel posted:

Lumberyard working well

:eyepop:

What am I laughing at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Lumberyard working well

Netcode 2.0 is going to make those ms figures even higher so get used to being owned by Chris Roberts goonie.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

What am I laughing at?

Can somebody make that image into a gif and put a half second delay on the Star Marine figures appearing?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Lumberyard working well

LOL!! That's not Lumberyard. That's EC2 (they are using the abstracted access version that's built into Lumberyard). Nothing to do with any network change, as it's just a cloud server (Google Compute to Amazon EC2) change. :smuggo:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

What am I laughing at?

ping vs client lag.

Latency can causing lagging in the client, but the client also has lag in taking an input and doing something with it.

it would be interesting to compare a cryengine game in there.

edit: ^^^ If true, that's loving horrible. What does it use, magnetic platters?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That looks like input delay to me, not ping.

e;fb

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

Lumberyard working well

I particularly like how those values are after the guy took away 75ms from the Star Marine numbers since he's used to servers in Amsterdam and Star Marine only runs in Virginia.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

beep_boop posted:

I don't know anything about game development, but if the player truly becomes the ship, why does the old player model even need to be anywhere? Can't it just, like, be unloaded or something? Also what the gently caress is with the archway/engine grill thing?

They load a separate model, part of the ship, with minor hand animations linked to the control rig of the spaceship. This is for "immersion" so the ships look like someone's flying them, and also to perpetuate the specific lie ("confimed" by Jared) that "you're not controlling your ship - you're controlling your spaceman who's controlling your ship."

To a certain type of autist, that sentence not only makes sense, but is the only "right" way to have full fidelity. They couldn't get it working, so they faked it and lied. Which come to think of it should be CIG's tagline.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

loving of course Grem would link an anti-climate change paper that not only uses a survey of loving tv weatherpeople as one of its supporting pillars, but then fails to accurately report the survey results. Of course he would. Why would I ever expect an outspoken SC shill to not be a huge terrible piece of poo poo? :argh::argh::argh:

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 6, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

loving of course Grem would link an anti-climate change paper that not only uses a survey of loving tv weatherpeople as one of it's supporting pillars, but then fails to accurately report the survey results. Of course he would. Why would I ever expect an outspoken SC shill to not be a huge terrible piece of poo poo? :argh::argh::argh:

Apparently climate change denial and shark murdering are Beet's triggers.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Why would I ever expect an outspoken SC shill to not be a huge terrible piece of poo poo? :argh::argh::argh:

You're a human and give people the benefit of the doubt before they prove themselves to be unredeemable?

Edit: ^^^ The first is definitely mine.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Apparently climate change denial and shark murdering are Beet's triggers.

I can't stop melting down. Please send help.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

loving tv weatherpeople

Yeah baby!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Go pet your dogge. If you cannot pet your dogge, go pet something else*.

*I am not responsible for any consequences for this action.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/817387001867542529

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://gfycat.com/SickRightCoral

:gary:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The netcode analysis guy also wonders why the update packets get so big that they have to be split into segments sometimes (when other better FPS use way smaller packets, which is more efficient and alleviates lag).

I am guessing the 64bit precision may have to do something with this, as well as whatever inefficient format they use for the information in those packets (clear text? xml? json?)

He takes the time to do that elaborate intro and explain ping and additional delays due to update rates, and then tries to even the field by subtracting the round-trip lag for Star Citizen (since there is currently no server in Amsterdam); he clearly wants the game to perform better after a few months of updates.

Such as shame that it won't; it will become worse. Hopefully, that won't crush his spirit.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Go pet your dogge. If you cannot pet your dogge, go pet something else*.

*I am not responsible for any consequences for this action.

lmao

"No wait officer I can completely explain! Okay so there's this company making this video game..."

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

chochmah posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akwVVi6weKQ

Somebody did a lag-analysis of Star Marine, gist is movement has a lag of 370ms with a 25ms ping. Means everyone who isn't from Virginia suffers lag of more than half a second. For an twitchbased shooter every player might as well be in his own private autistic instance at that point.

I love this particular comment.

quote:

Oberscht
Have you thought about testing the dogfighting module, too? It's much more mature than Star Marine.

Like the dog fighting module will not be worse in every possible way.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

You know the problem with fighting with retards on the internet is they have the home advantage and Dunning-Kruger on their side.

We're just lucky that Twitter doesn't allow for smearing excrement. Other than metaphorically.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

my bad

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 6, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Irony.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

From the YouTube link: "UPDATE: Streamer is JOEDADDY_505"

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 6, 2017

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm pretty sure that COD: Infinite Warfare's zero-gravity combat took less than a year for Infinity Ward to develop.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

From the YouTube link: "UPDATE: Streamer is JOEDADDY_505"

ok, can you erase your quote

I'm not sure why that came up with WTFosaurus

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

The netcode analysis guy also wonders why the update packets get so big that they have to be split into segments sometimes (when other better FPS use way smaller packets, which is more efficient and alleviates lag).

I am guessing the 64bit precision may have to do something with this, as well as whatever inefficient format they use for the information in those packets (clear text? xml? json?)

He takes the time to do that elaborate intro and explain ping and additional delays due to update rates, and then tries to even the field by subtracting the round-trip lag for Star Citizen (since there is currently no server in Amsterdam); he clearly wants the game to perform better after a few months of updates.

AWS' European endpoints are Frankfurt, London and Ireland, and there's literally no reason, other than they can't split their traffic, to route someone to the access point, then use the fat pipe in the back. Other than expense.

Packets are usually around 1500 bytes (depending on MTU, and when you get into high capacity, jumbo frames), but there's a couple of headers, so that reduces the payload somewhat. If they're encrypted, that will reduce the capacity by another 25% - they should be encrypted, as that stops local injection. TCP is ordered, which means that you're supposed to get the packets in the right order; miss a packet and it's resent. For this reason people used to use UDP; drop a UDP packet and nobody gives a gently caress. Streams use this a lot because they're like hoses, whereas TCP is entirely transactional.

Content of the packets depends on the protocol; Again, some have very customized protocols that attempt to tighten up lag.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

Lumberyard working well

Bigger bars means better game though

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

loving of course Grem would link an anti-climate change paper that not only uses a survey of loving tv weatherpeople as one of its supporting pillars, but then fails to accurately report the survey results. Of course he would. Why would I ever expect an outspoken SC shill to not be a huge terrible piece of poo poo? :argh::argh::argh:

Also Tucker Carlson wears a bow tie

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Also Tucker Carlson wears a bow tie

Not since 2006; "if you wear a bow tie, it's like [wearing] a middle finger around your neck; you're just inviting scorn and ridicule . . . the number of people screaming the F-word at me ... it wore me down after a while so I gave in and became conventional."

Still dumber than Hannity, though.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Hav posted:

Packets are usually around 1500 bytes (depending on MTU, and when you get into high capacity, jumbo frames), but there's a couple of headers, so that reduces the payload somewhat. If they're encrypted, that will reduce the capacity by another 25% - they should be encrypted, as that stops local injection. TCP is ordered, which means that you're supposed to get the packets in the right order; miss a packet and it's resent. For this reason people used to use UDP; drop a UDP packet and nobody gives a gently caress. Streams use this a lot because they're like hoses, whereas TCP is entirely transactional.

Content of the packets depends on the protocol; Again, some have very customized protocols that attempt to tighten up lag.

They are using UDP aren't they? The "netcode" analysis guy was looking at UDP packets. I think it makes sense for this case, even if some packets may get lost.

But yeah, the payload format depends on their protocol. And it seems that they are not doing something efficient with it.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

You're in for problems if you keep stealing pgabz's schtick.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

beep_boop posted:

I don't know anything about game development, but if the player truly becomes the ship, why does the old player model even need to be anywhere? Can't it just, like, be unloaded or something? Also what the gently caress is with the archway/engine grill thing?

That is a good question. The only thing I can think of is that they fudged it so that you can have other players inside your "player" AKA ship.

It's all a guessing game since no one here has direct access to their development.

I am going to guess they are using what amounts to a jeep in Crysis. (I'm making this guess from watching all the other tidbits of failure coming out of this heap)
This giant "jeep" has also smaller "jeeps" attached to it that other players can use to shoot things with (turrets).
(Single seat "jeeps" work the same way as bigger "jeeps" so you only have to maintain one base object type.)

Now you got this giant "jeep" no-clipping through the air, you wan't to lessen the amount of objects being tracked so instead of having a player inside a "jeep" moving around, you fake a player inside the "jeep" and you offload the player onto a separate grid where it doesn't move or get calculated on. (All the geometry is still there hello, so wtf are they thinking)

If the "jeep" takes enough damage state for it to explode, you swap the player model back in at the end of the animation with an instagib modifier applied.

This could then explain the mysterious shooting the pilot in the head does nothing thing (that's not the player it's just a facsimile), as well as sometimes some weird ragdoll will spawn in your seat thing (that doll is actually the player).

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ripptide posted:

You're in for problems if you keep stealing pgabz's schtick.

I suppose if I have to be killed I'd rather it be at the hands of an adorable dancing cat than anything else.

But you're right, I should stick to what I do best - Beakman STILL isn't finished yet...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

They are using UDP aren't they? The "netcode" analysis guy was looking at UDP packets. I think it makes sense for this case, even if some packets may get lost.

But yeah, the payload format depends on their protocol. And it seems that they are not doing something efficient with it.

Christ no. If they're segmenting packets AND using UDP, things will get janky. That could explain some of the really loving weird behavior. Given an MTU of 5;

|This |sente|nce w|ill b|e spl|it|

It only makes sense if you get 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 in that order. If 2, 3, 6 don't arrive, then you have problems.

Even more so with encrypted packets because each 'block' would be split and possibly be missing chunks of data.

Something that people used to do with planetside and other shooters was to throttle their bandwidth as it makes updates slower, so the person starts rubberbanding. if you're missing sections of a positional update, it'll produce jitters because some of the significant bits are missing.

IMO; games are not my thing, but we serve a fuckton of video.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yep, it's pretty bad for 4 or 3 years too. I mean hell it's pretty bad if it had only had 2 years of work.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

quote:

This ill be spl
makes perfect sense.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

That is a good question. The only thing I can think of is that they fudged it so that you can have other players inside your "player" AKA ship.

It's all a guessing game since no one here has direct access to their development.

I am going to guess they are using what amounts to a jeep in Crysis. (I'm making this guess from watching all the other tidbits of failure coming out of this heap)
This giant "jeep" has also smaller "jeeps" attached to it that other players can use to shoot things with (turrets).
(Single seat "jeeps" work the same way as bigger "jeeps" so you only have to maintain one base object type.)

Now you got this giant "jeep" no-clipping through the air, you wan't to lessen the amount of objects being tracked so instead of having a player inside a "jeep" moving around, you fake a player inside the "jeep" and you offload the player onto a separate grid where it doesn't move or get calculated on. (All the geometry is still there hello, so wtf are they thinking)

If the "jeep" takes enough damage state for it to explode, you swap the player model back in at the end of the animation with an instagib modifier applied.

This could then explain the mysterious shooting the pilot in the head does nothing thing (that's not the player it's just a facsimile), as well as sometimes some weird ragdoll will spawn in your seat thing (that doll is actually the player).

It would help explain why they 'decided' to go with long canned animations for the transition from walking to controlling a ship too. It's a little bizarre that even having seen hard evidence of one of SC's biggest selling points being a lie, people are still crowing about CIG's technical achievement.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Finally caught up on Star Citizen after leaving the thread in last year and boy there's a lot of stuff that had happened.

Chalks posted:

Yep, it's pretty bad for 4 or 3 years too. I mean hell it's pretty bad if it had only had 2 years of work.

"you don't understand game development" is a common excuse when Star Citizen delays its promised features. Are there games whose development is well-known enough now that we can see how much is "done" after two years, after three years, or after a certain number of years?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also offloading assets onto an far away grid is a technique that's been used in games since forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beet Wagon posted:

loving tv weatherpeople

Not all tv weatherpeople are bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePG6zUYvUZg

E: quality snipe. Thargoid catte:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 6, 2017