Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

EmesiS posted:

And he allegedly spent 8 hours composing this pile of nonsense.
The labor of SomethingJones transcriptions in total could hardly have consumed more than 8 hours, and that was an arduous effort. Chris expressing himself, whether positive or due to frustration, should not be like removing impacted teeth. The man is emotionally bankrupt.

I can believe it, that pile of nonsense is 5800 words high

Really puts all those college papers I bitched about writing into perspective.

*does point-by-point deconstruction of own post*
"I can't fathom why you would think I sound batshit crazy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

aleksendr posted:

Who the gently caress design a reactor with control rods you have to lift between the fuel rods ? This is ''Unshielded Deathstar ventilation port'' level of stupidity.

That's actually standard for boiling-water reactors, since the steam separators and dryers have to be directly above the reactor core
:goonsay:

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen, meanwhile, supposedly is going to have areas where PvP is unavoidable because Roberts played Demon Souls once and thinks that other players make the best threat. The carebear spergs hang out in lawful space and have NPC patrols swoop in and save them while in lawless space folks have to get through PvP in order to access The Good Stuff. This has been something the spergs have bitched about from the beginning but CR has been remarkably consistent on the issue (and by consistent I mean he hasn't said poo poo about it for years). It's one of the things that appealed the most to me when I first got into this thing.

Of course nobody knows what the gently caress to expect anymore, and if I had to guess I'd say that PvP mechanics will be hilariously exploitable and most of the content that encourages players to go into the lawless regions (like player controlled stations, exploration, etc) won't exist anyway.

Did he specifically mention Demon's Souls or something? Because otherwise this is a perfect description of EVE mechanics

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Codezombie posted:

Just digging around on TCE at the moment. I've dragged up one possible pay point for the Santa Monica studio, $85k for a graphics coder (2016), dunno if thats good or bad as I'm UK based.

That's about what you'd expect for software engineers with 0-3 years of experience in Texas, which has a lot lower cost of living than Santa Monica, so it sounds pretty low.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

loving lol at that last sentence
Maybe it'd be jaw-dropping if I hadn't been doing orbital maneuvers in Kerbal Space Program for the last five years

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Ash1138 posted:

"grim dawn" more like "grim dawn of war II: retribution: warhammer 40k there is only war check out our black-clad totally not a witch hunter on a red background box art this certainly hasn't been done before"

"Grim Dawn"? More like "Diablo 2.5"

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Tokamak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUaLb0-HGGg&t=256s

Am I missing something obvious or is his explanation completely wrong? I thought the comparison in if (integer != 0) is redundant (since every integer that isn't 0 evaluates to true). There is no problem being verbose for clarity (since the compiler should optimise it away), but his reasoning sounds like his doesn't understand how an int is implicitly converted into a bool.

His explanation is wrong and he's clearly just not reading the warning that Recode thing is spitting out, but at least he backed into better style for anything that isn't 25-year-old C

Edit: Him talking about passing in a "reference of the structure" because the function takes a raw pointer isn't filling me with confidence either

Winter Stormer fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 16, 2017

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

no_recall posted:

Does anyone know how LTI works yet?

It's a bit like buying an extended warranty on a Moller Skycar

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

trucutru posted:

Expect a space motorbike that is just a giant railgun with a commando on top soon.

Original crobble, do not steal

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

D_Smart posted:

To show you how utterly ridiculous the 3.0 schedule is, whereby they are promising a MASSIVE list of stuff for release END OF JUNE 2017, someone spliced it all together in a nice graphic.

I'd love to see a side-by-side of this and something showing what all they've released over the last 6 months

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
How much mocap have they done for this one loving mess hall scene?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Literally what is the most successful, notable thing she has appeared in as an actor

Dick

loving

All

I think she was in a commercial once

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Hav posted:

*It's not uncommon to find uninitalized variables in physics code, and a lot of the time they're actually there on purpose.*

:allears:

Part of my job involves maintaining a large, old physics & signal processing codebase written in C, and it really isn't uncommon to see lots of automatic variables left uninitialized at point of declaration for performance reasons.

That said, with the quality of static analysis tools (clang-tidy, ...) and dynamic analysis tools (ASan, MSan, even valgrind) nowadays, it's pretty trivial to find erroneous reads of those uninitialized variables.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

tak posted:

Neither of those use uninitialized variables though. The first one initializes them twice

Tell me more.

Edit: If you mean that neither one attempts to read uninitialized variables, then yeah, okay.

Winter Stormer fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 16, 2017

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Lol Lethality

I'd love a citation for the big studios spending a lot more, because Star Citizen is well into the top 10 of most expensive games ever, even including marketing and inflation

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

The Titanic posted:

They keep promoting their facial animation, but it's in regards to motion capture movies. They should be trying to press the boundaries and allow users minute control over facial features, like small smiles, knowing winks, clever things that no MMO (that I know of) have done before to feed a social role playing community instead of a action based one.

Final Fantasy XIV is a real and good MMO which has facial emotes as well as the regular MMO bullshit emotes. Here's my catgirl demonstrating "/ouch" during /blackrangerposea in front of some shifty dude the latest expansion added.

(Sorry for darkness, it's night in game)

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Roflan posted:

Something he does that gets to me is over explaining simple things to make them complicated. Like in that quote at the top of the last page, he's explaining a world server and a transaction server in terms he made up as though they're not something that's been in use since EQ.

He hasn't done any research at all into prior art, and is just riffing on whatever ideas his minions have managed to drive through his thick skull
Obviously it'll come out a little muddled

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Balls or no, I appreciate him coming back from the dead to entertain us in this dark hour

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

squirrelzipper posted:

Nope. 85m/s is 510 Kph or 316 mph. Not that it matters - the Chevy exists.

I'd like to see your math

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

thatguy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tznbxuUbEwI&t=399s
I skipped to this point in the video and the absurdity of it all hit me at once and I just started laughing.

uao. uai?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

From the same dude's last "debamboozled" estimates on Sept 23:

that dude on reddit posted:

Worst-case (p90) feature complete date: October 25th (originally Oct 27)

Live release date guess: one week after feature complete (Oct 11 - 19; worst case Nov 1)

the classic mistake, really: assuming good faith on CIG's part never wins

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Bootcha posted:

The VP of Marketing was given to Sandi before there was a P of Marketing. The lady that was the P of Marketing recently left.

:iiam:

wtf?

There shouldn't even be a "president of marketing"
Usually your company has a President and then the VPs of X, Y, and Z all report to him

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

I like how they can't be assed to give their devs offices, cubicles, half-cubes, or even just some loving sound deadening on the ceiling and/or walls
This workplace is basically a barn for humans

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

They asked for my take and I gave 'em my answer,
to find the truth, just solve the cipher.
Don't be bashful or gron at the shift,
the puzzle is rot with at least 10 gifts.

Unlucky for many and scary for some,
this number will help to find the outcome.
No need for a PhD in the text you chase,
Be double precise in choosing your base.

A bit of French will help if you're eager,
to slice through the riddle as they did to Caesar.
Only a pure and clean templar can weather the hunt,
but if you failed, you can suck my oval office.

oh nice

well his clues are ROT13, Base64, and Vigenere, but I can't be arsed to decipher this so

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

The Titanic posted:

This is great only because the longest running joke, and CIGs sad reality, is that no matter how many years they get into this thing, and the promise of so many things like AI indistinguishable from humans, is the fact they can’t figure out doors in their game.

loving doors will be what brings CIG down.

or will doors be Star Citizen's charming little quirk, like Skyrim's corpses that occasionally spin wildly and fling themselves 50 feet into the air?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Cameroon_TLPC posted:

There's been some talk of stalled progress on our end. I'll have you know our pipelines are pumping!

https://twitter.com/PledgeTeam/status/1030111084395425792

love them struts

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
What does injunctive relief look like if the "competing game engine" that Star Citizen switched to (i.e. Lumberyard) has all the old CryEngine code in its source repo?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

"Your friend probably threw a grenade. Ships don't blow up for no reason"

that's the kind of unshakable faith that keeps a man a 𝒮𝓉𝒶𝓇 𝒞𝒾𝓉𝒾𝓏𝑒𝓃

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

They come back later, after Derek stops paying again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

update: it seems the last person to stalk Chris and his family was Sandi