Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hey guys,

I've been following Star Citizen from a distance since 2012. Wing Commander was a little before my time, but I played the hell out of X-Wing Alliance and became a huge fan of the late golden-era space sims. I was hopeful that SC, or at least SQ42 could scratch that space sim itch for me; once EA acquired the SW license I knew there would never be a new X-Wing game. I never became a backer, mostly because I'm kind of old fashioned when it comes to crowdfunding/early-access; I always try to wait for someone to present me with a somewhat finished product. Also, my encounters with the "community" on Reddit were always awful, as they invaded the PC Gaming sub to endlessly proselytize SC and their savior Chris Roberts. Eventually after the epic delay of 3.0, SC kind of fell off the face of the earth as far as most mainstream gaming media coverage and interest. I lost track of it until a few months ago when I heard that it reached some new unfathomable funding goal. I thought "surely there must be something approaching a Beta build by now for so many people to be still throwing money at this project." Boy was I shocked once I started doing some research and digging through this dumpster full of burning money.

I stumbled on Bootcha's amazing series and became instantly fascinated with SC, not as a game, but as a bizarre social phenomenon. People spending tens of thousands of dollars on unfinished art assets, in a wildly unfinished game, that is still struggling to implement basic mechanics and integral technologies 6-7 years and 188 million dollars into development. It's still hard to comprehend.

Anyway, I've been lurking here for a few months and finally decided to create an account in the beautiful afterglow of Chris admitting that SQ42 is still years away and 3.3 will likely be heavily delayed. You guys are awesome, and have given me more entertainment than any released game ever could. I just hope to contribute in some small way as we all watch this dumpster full of money continue to burn.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

his nibs posted:

Welcome, please post any cats and/or dogs you have

Unfortunately, I don't have any pets right now. I'm in the US military, and have lived in 4 different states in the past 2 years. But this is my late pit bull looking sad because no one was willing to play with his favorite pull toy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

I think the reality of it is space games don't sell super well as "a space game" and they can be boring unless there's some clever aspect about them.

Star Citizen is basically trying to eventually be Elite Dangerous; and ED is unfortunately even kind of boring.

A lot of the additions SC is forcing is also boring, and will inevitably piss people off but they don't realize it yet. From having to walk around a place to sell your cargo, to the dozens of fidelity animations.

There are a lot of reason why this is going to look unappealing to a publisher. When asked "so why is it fun?" What can people really say about it? Why is it fun?

Is it the perma death component? Is it the combat that takes 10 seconds to complete but 2 hours to get back into because you respawn heaven knows where and why? Is it the FedEx quests?

Maybe it's the tedium that people are banking on?

I don't know. When looked at objectively and asked "why is it fun?" I'm not sure. I'd need a Citizen to answer that question. :(

However I think some people have picked up on it and are working with it and coming up with ways to make it fun. I'm looking at BGAE2 for example, if they pull it off. It looks like it's just crazy and that makes it fun to me.

Without some pretty big concessions taking you further away from "realism", any space game can be pretty boring. I've tried ED and I can appreciate it as a technical achievement, but not as a game. It's just long slogs of traveling through procedural nothingness, and then engaging in some repetitive and contextualess gameplay loop for a few minutes before being subjected to more travel. I can alt-tab out of the game fro 20-30 minutes and not miss anything. It's core mechanics are all solid, but no one has built a game around them yet.

SC was in the perfect position to basically be ED, but with much more and better handcrafted content, by virtue of a much larger development team and budget. The universe would be much smaller, but full of much more compelling content. But now, the PU is basically a small drop of ED with everything being completely broken.

Even if they could get that smaller vision of a game working, CIG is left with a fanbase of manchildren who want nothing less than an all-encompassing second life in space they can retreat to. CIG is getting into dangerous territory now, as we can see the promises of the game's scope being quietly scaled back.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 1, 2018

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I finally got to watch all of the recent ATV, and it was some quality entertainment. It was shockingly bad even by CIG standards, but also strangely the most honest I've ever seen Chris. I think we are reaching a threshold were the constant cavalcade of broken promises, failure and sleazy marketing coming out of CIG are finally taking their inevitable toll on a large portion of the remaining backers. The wider game community has written off SC as vaporware and/or a laughable scam, and even Spectrum and the SC subreddit contain unprecedented levels of negativity. It seems like Chris is finally starting to realize this, though of course he will never take responsibility for it and "absolve" himself by claiming to be too optimistic and too visionary for us plebes to understand.

Some thoughts I had while watching...

1.) Lando is the most awkward and insecure person you could possibly have as the face of your project. His feeble attempts to make up for his insecurities just make him even more insufferable, especially in 'Calling All Devs" . But, in front of his lord and savior Chris, he turns into little more than a squirming sycophant. A sad failure of a man, scrounging for meaning and self-worth, desperate to bask in the glory of talented people making the ultimate video game; which is all of course a complete sham. Like the most zealous backers, he has invested so much of his own ego into Store Citizen that he will never be able to admit that its a failure.

https://youtu.be/AMPTD3Dr4gE?t=55m46s

Once Chris finishes his rambling diatribe on how us mere mortals can't understand his vision of game development, Lando gasps orgasmically, barely managing a sheepish "I adore you sometimes..." over his own ragged breathing and thumping heart. It's the funniest and saddest thing I've ever seen in SC or in almost any media. It perfectly encapsulates the absurdity of this project.

2.) Chris admits that SQ42 is not coming out this year, which isn't surprising. However, if you read between the lines a little you can see that its still years off, as its progress is tied to the pitiful state of the core technologies and mechanics we see in the PU.

3.) 3.3 (or at least 90% of its planned content) will be heavily delayed because they are nowhere even close to figuring out OCS. Chris was very obviously trying to let people down early on this point, but of course he still described it as some Herculean feat of game development never before attempted; even though every 3D game ever has had to manage how much is rendered around the player character. 3.3 is supposed to include Hurston and the first smatterings of real content in the game, and the backers are still hyping it as the new Jesus patch.

4.) The reveal that CIG has over 500 employees now and is still actively hiring was surprising to me. Aside from the end of refunds, we have no real evidence that they are running out of money yet. It lends credence to what's been discussed on the ARGcast about CIG likely having hundreds of millions in loans and additional private investment.

5.) Chris was visibly nervous throughout, but also the most honest and contrite (by his standards) that I've ever seen him. The enormity of the technical hole his project is in seems to have finally sunk in, after years of people both within and outside of SC trying to tell him this. He also seems to be realizing that SC is hemorrhaging its core fan base (he directly referenced Spectrum and Reddit). He must know that even if he can continue pumping money from the most hopeless whales, the game will eventually need a larger audience to be a viable product at release.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 1, 2018

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

There may be more at work than even this recognition. Given Roberts specific comments about Squadron, it was hard not to even wonder if he was laying the groundwork for its eventual termination. I know this seems unthinkable and yet Squadron has been nothing but a black hole siphoning away high margin monies from his money printing business from the day the motion capture plans began. In the early years it was assumed that Squadron would eventually return those costs in spades with retail release. Yet now retail release is all but impossible. They foreclosed on the possibility of any easy, early win and the market for a Wing Commander reboot — particularly a fidelitous PC only one — is quite small and likely already largely saturated.

6 years ago, Rock Paper Shotgun wondered whether that might happen and asked Chris directly:

Yesterday’s RTV was the first time Chris sounded like he’d been wondering the same thing. It seems impossible to entertain, given that Squadron is the collateral against which the Coutts was secured and the source of years worth of tax credits from the UK. But it seems harder and harder to imagine anyone at CIG including Chris believing that Squadron can be easily monetized. They’ve precluded that possibility with dozens of terrible design choices and now it’s monetization is key to the Crytek lawsuit, too. It could’ve been a little star but Chris turned it into a black hole and now seems faced with the choice to steer away from it or cross the event horizon. Given the choice between steering towards the thing still giving off some light and heat or heading into the collapsed, crushing void that Squadron represents, well, he might be entertaining the prudent choice.

Here I’m not sure I agree. CIG has been sending out new signals this year about cash that are loud enough that even the streamers all seem to be picking up on it.

Financial theorycrafting absent better inputs seems foolhardy but if nothing else, CIG has made their money hunting a big topic of conversation this year. It’s a far cry from the breezy carefree days of 2015-2016 when they didn’t seem so focused on the next buck that they couldn’t waste enormous swaths of time.

I think he and Erin are banking on real estate and possible stock sales as their new lifeline. It used to be Squadron but it sure doesn’t feel that way anymore.

SQ42 is still a weird topic to try and wrap my mind around. You would think a relatively on-rails single player game would be much easier to release. There has been an amazing lack of any sort of real information on it (especially in the past 2 years), and a lot of what we do have is just cutscenes.

I think there is some realization within CIG that it will only become harder to monetize with time, but there are still a lot of internal and external incentives to release it. Chris' own ego, Sandi's "acting career", the promises to backers who have already bought it and the need to draw in the mainstream PC Gaming audience; all add up in favor of it not being dropped. However, if the company reaches a truly dire financial state, I could see them quietly letting SQ42 languish in development hell, while they shift resources into desperately pumping out monetizable content for the PU.

As for CIG's financials, I agree they are far too opaque to make any more than guesses at. I also agree with your excellent posts and chart, that we are probably in the early terminal phase of Star Citizen, I just think that this phase will drag on somewhat longer. I think what we are seeing with the land sales, the LTI fiasco and the $27,000 JPEG collection; is a definite movement towards intensive revenue growth (relying on extracting more money from fewer people), which is only a short-term solution. They've realized at this point, nothing short of real playable game will draw in new backers. But, I don't see them as quite being at the point of real desperation yet, to me that would be things like introducing game subscriptions, riddling the PU with in-game transactions, doing something crazy with ship sales that would completely erase the value of old backer's JPEG's, or dumping a half-finished mess of SQ42 onto the market.

Combined with no signs of CIG scaling back its own corporate scope, my own guess would be that they aren't facing an imminent financial disaster. Barring them being shutdown by the Crytek lawsuit, I think they will be able to at least limp through 2019 operating much the same way as they are now. But, who knows?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

CIG is giving us too much with each quarterly patch! It's an embarrassment of riches! They need to slow down this endless banquet of content.

This level of delusion is amazing. They still haven't even released 75% of the content promised in the original 3.0, which was supposed to come out in 2016. On top of that, Chris all but confirmed that Hurston and any real content for the game will be delayed into 2019. All of the quarterly patches (released and projected) are just band aids on CIG's mountain of broken code.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

SomethingJones posted:

I see them losing their marketing as a significant event. That PC Gamer article is the first bit of positive press they've had in 6 months and there isn't even a video with it.

Erin talking about 1000 player instances coming next year is as big a flop as you could get.

And that's the height of their marketing right now. The ATVs and RTVs are a load of bumbling bollocks.

Oh yes they did have a video for mining, except it showed gameplay that wasn't even in the patch.

If they can't produce trailers at all right now? Then Gorf and Bootcha have some quality videos ready to fill that void.

The brand is so toxic it would take years and millions to recover it, they look like they have totally lost a grip on everything to do with how their company and game looks to the outside world.

You don't come back from that.

Scruffpuff posted:

That's because it's impossible to predict when they will shutter, but they're still dead.

Imagine you've got some deadbeat dude who decides to put up a GoFundMe to pay his rent. He's a shitstain without a job, but he has enough takers to float him a few months rent. The guy will never get a job, never amount to anything, and never be of any use to anybody, but he has random people paying for his rent. Now they're paying his power bills and for his food, just for a lark.

It could go on indefinitely. It doesn't mean he'll ever go get a job or become useful or at least self-sustaining. In fact the free money stream specifically encourages him to remain useless, or the reason to keep funding him will disintegrate.

How can you predict when the free ride stops? It stops when all the idiots funding it stop. But that doesn't mean that the declaration of insolvency is useless.

This was an analogy.

They've definitely crossed the threshold into their terminal phase; CIG is plainly doomed, but it is still early days. They've obviously completely lost control of the narrative of Star Citizen both within and outside of their backer base. It's impossible for them to draw in new suckers, and most of their smaller backers and a growing number of whales have left. But, they still have a core of hopeless rubes they can extract cash from almost regardless of the state of the game.

The staff vacancies probably don't bode well, but we've always known that CIG has a toxic work environment and likely pays below industry standards. Also, I'm sure that few experienced devs want to work for an obvious sham of a project. But, the very fact that they are actively hiring in such a large quantity, even to the point of advertising it on their lovely Youtube shows, means that they probably aren't facing an imminent financial collapse. I think that they can limp on for quite some time yet.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Well you know what this means. :)

Time to start letting loose some big news. Making sure the big guys are innocent. And start focusing on a new Kickstarter project (because after this there is no way you don't believe you can tap gold twice, and gently caress a real job; not that they could land one).

So expect lots of Chris Roberts love, forgiveness of himself and those around him, and some news dropping about nee future upcoming projects these guys are starting to "think about".

Part 1 of this campaign I'd reducing your media footprint. So the less videos will be more out of sight-out if mind. Chris and crew will probably play more reduced roles.

That, or, the nest egg in the dozens of shell companies is large enough they can just gently caress off and do whatever they want for the rest of their lives. Who knows!

Yeah you can definitely see Chris, Erin and Sandi retreating from view, and their videos are more just going through the motions now to keep their remaining whales on the hook. The profile of the project has been severely reduced in wider public, mostly because of the 3.0 debacle, but also because CIG itself has seem to have largely given up on external marketing.

You can already see the narrative of "Chris dared to dream big, but the world wasn't ready for his vision!" starting to form at both CIG and the among the backers.

Chris' dream of being a media mogul, Sandi's dream of being an actress and the whale's dreams of a second life in space will probably all die hard though. I can see SC as having a long and entertaining afterlife of additional crowdfunding campaigns and enlisting backers as volunteer developers, all while the PU sort of lurches on in the same broken and content-less state with sleazy monetization.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCtG4Zpl9nA

TLDR:

1) Vaidas, Sys Designer, Frankfurt
Q: Will life support system have limits to have many people they can support (wtf?) - 50 people in an Origin 600i
A: uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. the plan is.... uh.... we have rooms, each room has gas, we track the amount of gas in each room! so yes, you can technically breathe out all the air and die horribly. (then he goes into shittalk), will track internal suit oxygen and gas in the rooms.

2) Andrew, Sys Designer, F42 (Was QA)
Q: Can we get more keybinds for actions? Innerthought sucks.
A: Yes!! Intention to have as many as we can get in!

3) Dan, Lead Sys Designer
Q: Will there be a way to play the PU in PEACE?! Without being griefed. PVP Slider!? PVP mandatory?
A: PVP is NOT Mandatory, at the same time, its close to IMPOSSIBLE to guarantee players will not deal with you in a bad way. You will get people who will crash into other people just to annoy them. (some bullshittery here) The people can open a TICKET with US. l

Conclusion : NO SLIDER,

4) Jonny , Sys Designer
Q: What kinda of NON Combat equipment are planned?
A: Multitool, a pocket switcharmy knife thing. Multiple attachments, Cutting attachment, pocket welder and cutter. Can cut through surfaces! Repair and salvage attachment, go to the damaged part and fix your ship! Superficial damage only. Mini tractor attachment! In Zero G, can push and pull things, pull yourself towards objects heavier than yourself. So... COD IW's grappling hook? (ok i'm not going to listen to the rest)

Lol, I love how they always choose the most delusional theory-crafting type questions for Calling All Devs. How the hell could they possibly make an atmosphere system that tracks gas volumes and mixtures in each room of your autism chariot? They can't even get the basics of the game working yet. I'm sure if you asked they would say that it will take into account the breathing rate and unique metabolism of each of those 50 people you cram into your ship. And of course no one considers that your suit just has unlimited air anyway, when there isn't even enough volume in the suit to store more than a few minutes of breathable air, so none of it matters from even the most tedious gameplay perspective.

A multitool and all of those mechanics are so far away from implementation at this point, they're on a cosmological timescale.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 3, 2018

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Daztek posted:

Also what happens when you open a snub fighter with a different air composition inside it's carrier ship???

Yeah what they're talking about isn't just some meter that ticks down oxygen levels. Its a full fledged fluid dynamics simulation of gas flow throughout your ship.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hav posted:

I know simulations, and I know how far they are from a simulation, while trying to use simulation language.

Heat signature has a mechanic based around breaking spaceship windows to gain entry, kill people and exit any given spacecraft. They aren't modelling volumes, they're attaching particular scripts to entities based on the window breaking, which is a viable mechanic of the game.

In Star Citizen, if someone can lock the doors open, you'll wear a suit, leading to the minor inconvenience of wearing said suit.

They're using a developer to theorycraft a theorycraft onto a theorycraft, leading to this recursive poo poo fractal of stories that don't actually fit into the wider narrative, and leading to a tree structure of dependencies on every drat server-tick.

Personally, I'd use an integer for 'breathable atmosphere' pressure and leave it at that.

Yeah, this. Those atmosphere emitters don't work all of the time, otherwise they'd overpressure, so they have a maximum rate of pressurisation, what happens if I open three compartments neighboring, etc. "That's just Boyle's law", boom, temperature.

It's needlessly complex for something that will barely add gameplay, when they should be thinking up more mission structures to stop the faithful chewing their ankles in frustration. Hardly anyone plays Arma for a reason. Call of Dutys print money for a reason.

People buy space flight games for space flight, not sitting in bars alone.

This is all just FUD! The atmosphere mechanics in Store Citizen will be so fidelicious, that you will have to constantly manage the Argon levels in your own home for your PC to maintain a stable 30fps.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Star Citizen never ceases to amaze me how it pulls in all of the best elements of the internet into one convenient package.

This guy is so amazingly full of poo poo. I'm in the US Army, and while I'm no weapons expert (I'm an intelligence weenie), I have fired all of the weapons he is talking about, except for the M3 which was phased out decades ago and was barely even used in Vietnam.

He seems to think that the tiny reciprocal force of the ejection of the shell casing moves the whole weapon towards the right in a noticeable way. But. even if this were true, it would influence the recoil to towards the left, because the casing ejects on the right side of the weapon.

The bit about the three round burst is even funnier. It just fires three rounds in quick succession with one trigger pull, it doesn't change "the physics". It's purpose is to provide a higher rate of fire than semi-auto for suppression or CQC, but with more control and accuracy than full auto.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 4, 2018

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The whales really don't want starter pack plebes to ever be able to earn better ships in game. They want an underclass of space poors to lord over. They all dream of someday pulling up to Space Home Depot in their Idris and offering space minimum wage to some space day laborers who lost their starter ships to mop the hallways. Since 90% of the remaining engaged backer base are hopeless whales, there is zero pressure on CIG to ever change their "pay to engage in basic game mechanics" model.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 4, 2018

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

tuo posted:

I am a veteran of a couple of wars, sometimes having fought on both sides at once to make it fair for everyone. I shot all the firearms plus secret ones you can't even find on wikipedia. I also once downed a bear with a lipstick. You can trust me when I say (with about 150 years of experience as a close combat fullstack secops german auditor in battle): Star Citizen is bad.

Thank you for your service.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

THEUNITEDSTATESOF posted:

https://i.imgur.com/XuHc1iv.mp4
John Candy as Beer4TheBeerGod
Dan Aykroyd as Beet Wagon
Chris Roberts as Bear

This is the sort of high art that I paid 10 smakeroos for.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

It's a Tier 0 Beta implementation.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

CrazyLoon posted:

also, while looking this poo poo up :laffo: at that dude who was like '1080ti is 30% better than 980ti, scrub!'

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-turing-release-date-2952823

Welp, time to break out the piggybank again, cuz 1080Ti will be trash in 2 months time! Tho yea, at least you get something for paying 700-800 bucks every 2 or 3 years, unlike SC where you still only get a broken tech demo for paying 30-40k bucks over 5-6 years.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gtx-1180-release-date/

quote:

More likely is that Turing will be a similar rollout to Pascal. The first GTX 1180 cards will launch this year, but they won't be the full-fat version of Turing. Instead, we'll get GPUs that look a lot like the current GP102, meaning up to 3840 CUDA cores, only with improved efficiency and features and slightly higher clockspeeds. Then in another 9-12 months, we'll get Big Turing and GTX 1180 Ti, with more cores, more memory, and more performance.

In the enthusiast range, its always been better to wait for the XX80Ti. But my i7 6850K, 1080Ti and 32GB DDR4 can max out any game on market right now in 4K/60fps. The big jump in hardware requirements wont happen until the next gen consoles launch in 2-3 years. I'll probably just hold onto what I have for now and build a whole new rig at that point. The only major hardware purchase I'm tempted to make in the mean time, is one of the newer QLED monitors from Samsung.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

:lol:

I’ve tried to cut back, though, especially on Reddit.

Matilda hurt my feelings and told me I’d never reach anybody with my “sugar turd” posts anyway. Which, after a few years across a few alts, proved basically true. So now I’m just another person making Youtube videos about Star Citizen.

On that note, I just uploaded a simple one, and it’s free of editorial entirely. (Save for the closed captioning.)

YOUTUBE: A One Minute History of Squadron 42

Great job GORF. I like how you let Chris speak for himself this time. I think that's the central point in the SC meta game. If you just give it a little time, CIG will always just bury itself in its own lies, greed and incompetence.

Also, that ATV was terrible. "Look you can shoot a laser at some rocks with a $150 space ship and earn some worthless funbucks!" They really are just going through the motions now. They've also gone straight back to hyping 3.3 and 3.4 as God patches, even though Chris all but confirmed in is his sweaty RtV performance that any worthwhile content will be delayed until they can figure out OCS and all of the performance issues.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Colostomy Bag posted:

To this day I still do not understand their fascinations with Uncle Derek's junk.

Like all forms of Goonfear, it's just Citizens projecting their own insecurities and frustrations outward.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Virtual Captain posted:

:woop: ARGCast Season Two will likely be recorded LIVE on Saturday, July 7th in the afternoon :woop:

If someone can mashup a new intro with Stephen Mocking and Chris "I don't manage peoples time well" Roberts, that would be cool
Derek Smart was invited but can't make it on short notice
I don't know how to patch Skype users into Discord so all recording will occur on Discord
If you have never been a guest; here is a group DM invite to express interest: https://discord.gg/d6bT7r (previous guests don't need to click that)
Listen live at https://www.twitch.tv/virtual_captain
:siren: There will be booze :siren:

YESSS! I really enjoy your show.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

Because in EVE you can't stand on the bridge of your ship and enjoy a quiet cup of space tea like Jet Black, or meet Miles "Three Jackets" Prower in a seedy bar to pick up work like Mal Reynolds.

Seriously, for probably most of the people still left in the game it's the ridiculous "space second life" fantasy aspect that keep them as hooked as they are. It's what got most of them into it (I should know, it's what hooked me before I realized how retarded and empty it would be), and it's what will keep them dreaming of jacking into The 'Verse RPO-style long after CIG has shuttered their offices and started crowdfunding digital bottled water or whatever the gently caress they're gonna do next.

You see that on the Reddit, with how the majority of the posts are just pretty looking screenshots devoid of any real gameplay. It's just people imagining that they're in space and theory-crafting about some never to be released fidelicious second life mechanic. The 600i is really the pinnacle of this, as it does not and will never serve any real gameplay function, or move the game that's supposed to be about space ships shooting each other towards being actually fun. It exists only as a static object to be fetishized. On a subconscious level, I don't think any of the remaining hardcore backers really want a game. Any sort of release with a defined set of features would collapse all of their fantasies.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beautiful.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Xaerael posted:

It must be so humiliating for CIG staffers when something like that gets revealed.

Multiple systems they've been floundering on for years, and milking their fans to produce get announced and demonstrated live by another company... for a free to play game with the least obnoxious monetization system going.

Chris on monday: "Aerrhhhhm, That other space game had hoverboards. I want hoverboards. Get to it. JUST DO IT! Aerrhhhhm, they also had a drone take a cool video of their convention audience, I want that too."

Its going to happen more and more. The game industry and general level of technology are passing them by. Space is back in gaming in a big way, Beyond Good and Evil, Starfield and a plethora of indie space games are on the horizon, and you can bet everything that CIG is struggling with and proclaiming to be a Herculean task of game development will be easily implemented by other devs. Even SC's graphics are starting to look dated and will only get much worse once the next generation of consoles launches is a few years.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

How long before the narrative on r/StarCitizer and Spectrum becomes that Digital Extremes blatantly stole ideas and technology from CIG and should be taken to space court?

Right now, willful ignorance seems to be the order of the day, and apparently SC's biggest problems are the lack of warp-in sound effects. Let's all go on Spectrum and vote to get this added to the game!..Oh wait, there is no game.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

Also in FUD news...

YOUTUBE: FTR: Star Citizen - 3.2 - Things Can't Get Worse, Right?

... so get to work, thread lurking Zealots, Shills, and CIG monitors!

I lost it when he encountered the killer ramp. His space buggy gently touching the ramp just bounces his entire ship like a helium balloon. Then he somehow winds up clipping under his ship and having it crash and explode on top of him. REAL NEWTONIAN PHYSICS™

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 8, 2018

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

This is a good callout. Its so easy to get online now, its way better to make a good multiplayer mode than spend eons trying to make a decent game AI. Other human beings will be better, but also worse, than your AI, which is more entertaining.

There's not much about great enemy AI that you can really sell a game on. With the exception of FEAR / Halo campaigns where you have a single player or co-op situation and you need to have asymmetric combat with mooks and bosses instead of fighting on an even level against other entities that share your powers and abilities. But then its not about making smart AI its about making fun AI, which if anything means predictable so the player can exploit them and feel satisfaction from doing so.

I haven't played Civ in years so that's interesting that they're turning the AI into an asymmetric hoard waiting for you to come and conquer them, but it totally makes sense. If you want competition in civ against factions that play the way you do, just play multi instead.

It's an interesting point, AI always seems to be one of those things like physics that never really seems to advance. Most of the innovation's we've seen in last 10-15 years have been in graphical fidelity, not really in the depth and realism of the game world.

That was sort of the promise of Star Citizen in the beginning, that it would actually innovate in areas that were neglected by major publishers; until of course it became a fever dream of an all-compassing second life in space.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

FailureToReport posted:

Nahhh, Montoya knows EXACTLY what he's doing. He plays the victim/white knight/drama queen on purpose because he wants to be the next BoredGamer. I used to have logs of his Discord conversation with me admitting he was starting drama with me because it was good for exposure. He spouted off a bunch of poo poo on SC Subreddit he KNEW was not true and I called him out on it like the asshat he was being, so he DM'ed me on Discord apologizing and saying the drama was a good thing.

He's literally the biggest shill of Star Citizen, but that TEST merch won't peddle itself.

The guy is like a ZZZZ list YouTuber though, his videos average around a few thousand views, but he parades about the internet like he has some sort of fame and authority. He'll even show up in the comment sections of much bigger YouTubers who criticize SC and act like he's on their level. He can lay claim to being game's biggest voice, but in a world in which breaking 500 views in SC Twitch stream is a major accomplishment, that's not really saying much. His only following is the few thousand remaining hardcore SC whales.

I guess he really believes that once SC launches and is an unprecedented smash hit game to end all games, it will catapult him into internet stardom. But the reality is that he's just the pathetic and overcompensating king of the man children, the leader of a nonexistent org in a nonexistent game.

But anyway "Anthem looks underwhelming, therefore Star Citizen is good."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-2yEQkTQI

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Morphix posted:

Games to me are in a similar funk right now, indie was supposed to be the savior but once they got a taste of the money it turned to poo poo quickly. Now look at like 99% of indie titles on steam and tell me about some new gaming revivial. The market is bigger sure, but quality wise it's shittier. It's like the old floppy disk demos of yesteryear, the jazz jackrabbit knock offs, but times infinity.

I feel this too, to some extent at least. For example, if you look at the recent output of non-combat story based games kicked off by Gone Home and The Stanley Parable, they have never really moved on from the template of a Bioshock like story without the combat. So you have dozens of walking simulators where you walk around an environment devoid of NPC's (usually everyone is dead), poke around in the aftermath of a story you had no part in, and get some bits of exposition thrown at you in the form of notes and recordings. They're generally well written, but they all refuse to break that mold and rely on the same tropes. The obvious next step for the genre would be simply to allow you to play as a character with agency in that original story, and have the gameplay focused on choices and interactions with NPCs. But, no one seems to be willing to take that next step.

There are a lot of talented people working in indie games, and indie devs make some great games, but you don't see many novel experiences coming out of the indie-sphere compared to the sea of knock-offs and nostalgia exploitation. To me, the biggest contribution of the indie games was to launch new mindie publishers and studios like CDPR and 4A games, which at least can nip at the heels of the EA's of the world and make them less complacent.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I feel bad for Ben in some way. He was fired by his idol and now has nothing left but a sad life devoted to a long dead sci-fi franchise forgotten by everyone including its creator. Even by the late 90's, Wing Commander was vastly overshadowed by the X-Wing series.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I enjoy a vast amount of games on the market today, and I don't think that we are living in a dark gaming dystopia. I'd just like some forward progress once in a while in areas other than graphics (give me the Star Wars space to ground combat from the cancelled Battlefront III god dammit!), but at the same time I realize that the market has spoken and most gamer just don't care enough about deeper and more complex experiences.

I think VR will eventually be the catalyst for a lot innovation. It's just a matter of time.

Anyway, I'm excited for the additions to Warframe and the renewed in interest in space games in general. Now if EA would only announce X-Wing Alliance 2, I would literally mail them a briefcase full of cash.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Loxbourne posted:

It occurs to me that CIG's ideal outcome is that they dial back their ATVs to the point of complete shutdown, but let the streamers take over. All the content, none of the expense (and all of the layoffs).

Look out for some kind of formal affiliate program for streamers, with exclusive access to early content.

They're definitely scaling way back on their marketing and public profile, probably because they've reached the saturation point where they can't bring in any new backers no matter how many insane promises and grossly misrepresentative sizzle reels CIG churns out. I mean look at CIG's official videos and anything on YouTube or Twitch related to Store Citizer, the views are in the toilet. RtV and Calling all Devs average around 20-30K views, and that's probably close to all that really remains of their engaged backer base. Downward thrust's video criticizing SC has 487K views, and Montoya's magnum opus response to it had 14k views. That shows you what the public perception and interest in the game is right now.

They still need some sort of weekly video releases to keep their remaining whales excited and spending, but they'll probably cheapen out and outsource to their own fans as much as they can get away with.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sigh... Montoya... I can't even watch his videos for laughs. He is just such a repulsive person, like a black hole for charisma and likability. He's a ZZZZ list Youtube personality ignorantly wallowing in a sea of self-importance and the leader of a nonexistant org in a nonexistant game limping into its 7th year of burning money for no appreciable result other than funding a has-been 90's game developer's lavish LA lifestyle. He's the king of the rubes, slightly smarter than the rest only because he is skimming some money off the top of this mess with his worthless Test Squadron merch. He honestly thinks he can save SC's public perception by going after all of its critics with his nonsensical and empty arguments, that can only be swallowed by his tiny cult following; then he'll be the most important man in the best video game ever made.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

ManofManyAliases posted:

Not true. I wanted the space game of my dreams. If it was about the money, I'd either have donated more or have gotten a refund. No for me (at this point), it's about principle. I want people in this thread to be proven wrong. Which, won't happen because the shifting narrative will be "well poo poo, they did it. We'll just buy in now and grief your 27k ships you spergs. We still win." But not really, because there's only like 15 of you who actually give enough of a poo poo to post the dissonance here and somehow, you think that's going to make the difference to the overall public who want the game made. Keep at it though?

The public perception of Store Citizen is already in the toilet, it can't really go much lower. If you give CIG enough time it will always dig its own hole further and further with lies and incompetence. Personally, I don't care about changing a single remaining backer's mind, CIG and them deserve each other. I see whales like Clifford who is 50K and counting deep in this mess and I want them to pledge even more. Store Citizen is a shambling money-stuffed animate corpse of a video game project lurching into its seventh year of development hell, I just get some laughs from poking it with a stick once in a while and seeing what comes out. The more money the whales keep throwing at it, the longer its darkly comedic death agonies will go on.

Really though, if by some miracle Store Citizen launched tomorrow in all its promised glory, I would be ecstatic. It's a project that I always really wanted to succeed, but over these almost 7 years, CIG has never once shown me that they are in any way capable of delivering it. All there is a basket of promises and dreams surrounding a broken tech demo that encompasses less than 1% of the hundred star systems they have promised. There is no rational argument for Store Citizen at this point, there is only blind faith rooted in willful ignorance and cognitive dissonance.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 13, 2018

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

hot balls man no homo posted:

Sure, just invite that friend that you've been evangelizing to for the past 7 years, you know, the one that rolls their eyes when you gush about Store Citizen for an hour straight.

Somehow seeing a coked-up bear present a hopelessly divorced from reality sizzle reel of dreams is always more convincing in person.

What are they really going to show for themselves this year though, aside from Space Real Estate sales? Sandworm riding to recruit desert nomads for a holy war? A giant vertically oriented space bomber that doesn't even make sense in the universe it was ripped off from?

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 13, 2018

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

AtmaTheWanderer posted:

Do not fear, all. If you can't afford to buy a real ship, you can still live out your days as a citizen by becoming a glorious space peasant in service to the landed gentry.

Because I know when I think epic space sim with emergent gameplay, I think toiling away in a futuristic boiler room shoveling space coal into the space engines.

Bonus points for mentioning new players can still have fun in EVE.

Of course they are leaving out the fact that Store Citizen isn't just "Pay to Win", its "Pay to engage in basic gameplay loops". You have to pay $150 just to mine, and every profession is gated off by JPEG purchases.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Daztek posted:

A citizen wrote it over on the official forums

Was it a joke though or were they actually serious? Because the Stimpire seems like a parody of terrible sci-fi lore writing.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

LOL Store Citizen brings together the internet's best and brightest Incels.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

I kind of miss the procedural bird guy, and how he'd always try to ask how some crazy new feature would fit in with his perfect vision of procedural birds. He wasn't a crazy guy who actually believed it though and was trolling, but it was funny since he tried to hold CIG to their insane promise and try to have them justify how it'd all fit together.

Naturally he got mostly ignored since a feature CR dreams up for one promotion or sales is only really valid for that period, and bringing it up again at a later date is somehow FUD or something.

That brings up something I've been thinking about, how backers and Chris go on and on about fidelity, and we all imagine it as hamstringing the development, but hardly any of those fidelicious second life features ever seem to make it into the game, and many of them seem to die a quiet death behind the scenes. Commandos can't even engage in riveting trace gas balancing gameplay yet. It seems like CIG starts a circle jerk among the backers about some new ultra-realistic feature that wont use "cheats and trickery" like other game devs, then years after screwing around with that feature they give up on it, and then implement a hollowed out version with the same "cheats and trickery" of other devs just with an extreme level of incompetence. The whole argument that "CIG isn't cutting corners and they are taking their time to make the most detailed and ambitious game ever" continually falls apart before our eyes, but backers continue to applaud CIG for these sisyphean tasks that waste time and money without ever producing anything usable in the game.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Morphix posted:

It's because "gamers" think gaming is an identity that defines them. So if someone says they're a gamer, suddenly it's like 'oh hes just like me!'

You don't see this poo poo happening with movie watching or book reading. I actually think gamers are waaaay more susceptible to confidence scams because most of them aren't confident, so when they see someone who is they assume certain things. What they usually don't do is stand up to the confident person and confront them in their bullshit. And since a bunch of 'gamers', 2 million in fact, have signed onto this project, that means other smart individuals like myself, the gamer, must be seeing the correct version of the world.

We live in the age of identity, in fact we're drowning in it. Everyone is constantly Balkanized on dozens of levels, based on superficial things from race and gender to PC vs console gaming. It creates atomized humans with the belief that identity is a zero sum struggle, there is always the ominous other out to destroy them as a bisexual black female or a straight white conservative male. It's a nebulous struggle for the expression of identity in the public sphere, producing only a vague anger and fear from which no concrete or actionable understanding of the world and power structures that govern it can ever be formed, leaving people isolated and powerless.

People feel this dis-empowerment on some instinctual level, but they're incapable of understanding its source, so they paradoxically cling more and more to intrinsically meaningless forms of community in a search for agency and meaning. There are whole multi-billion dollar industries that cater to this, from blatantly predatory things like Scientology and multi-level marketing to the more innocuous renaissance of "nerd culture" entertainment and merchandising.

Star Citizen is one of the more comical examples of this. It's a fantasy for citizens to retreat into from the harsh realities of a world devoid of meaning and fulfillment, a replacement for traditional forms of community that have either atrophied or they are alienated from, and a vehicle to feel empowerment through changing the entire landscape of gaming forever. They will be important and respected people someday in this new world they helped create. Star Citizen is a social phenomenon which acts as an easily accessible microcosm of post-modernity, and that's why its so fascinating to me.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

colonelwest posted:

We live in the age of identity, in fact we're drowning in it. Everyone is constantly Balkanized on dozens of levels, based on superficial things from race and gender to PC vs console gaming. It creates atomized humans with the belief that identity is a zero sum struggle, there is always the ominous other out to destroy them as a bisexual black female or a straight white conservative male. It's a nebulous struggle for the expression of identity in the public sphere, producing only a vague anger and fear from which no concrete or actionable understanding of the world and power structures that govern it can ever be formed, leaving people isolated and powerless.

People feel this dis-empowerment on some instinctual level, but they're incapable of understanding its source, so they paradoxically cling more and more to intrinsically meaningless forms of community in a search for agency and meaning. There are whole multi-billion dollar industries that cater to this, from blatantly predatory things like Scientology and multi-level marketing to the more innocuous renaissance of "nerd culture" entertainment and merchandising.

Star Citizen is one of the more comical examples of this. It's a fantasy for citizens to retreat into from the harsh realities of a world devoid of meaning and fulfillment, a replacement for traditional forms of community that have either atrophied or they are alienated from, and a vehicle to feel empowerment through changing the entire landscape of gaming forever. They will be important and respected people someday in this new world they helped create. Star Citizen is a social phenomenon which acts as an easily accessible microcosm of post-modernity, and that's why its so fascinating to me.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Gamergaters.

I've noticed without exceptions so far that every aggressive "CIG can do no wrong" star citizen backer in their subreddit is also an active gamergater, redpill, the_donald or some various other related group based around angry young white male identity politics.

Yeah there is a big overlap with Star Citizen and the extreme alt-right/Incel communities. But, Star Citizen seems to have an equal number of nice guy neckbeards who at least pay lip service to left-wing identity politics in the vain hope of getting laid someday. You also have your ostensibly more socially well-adjusted bro-gamers like Montoya who want to pee higher on the tree than everyone else. It all seems almost exclusively male though, even compared to the rest of the games industry that has a small but growing female customer base. You can see this in how there is almost no demand for female avatars in the game.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 16, 2018