Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

The switch to lumberyard is the video game equivalent of someone slapping a type R sticker on their Honda Civic. It will be ready for serious street racing any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Sabreseven posted:

Might be because there's more than 12 goons here with actual working experience of software design and coding?

Hold on, there is no evidence of Amazons server hosting being cheaper or easier than running a home server setup.

I would expect to it be easier, maybe cheaper, but more importantly, CIG is never going to allow private servers.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I would really love to know where the "goons spent 55k" number comes from. I've still got my account, and I should probably refund, but right now I want to watch the shitshow come crashing down first hand. Got to actually play the game if I'm going to criticize it after all.

Sunswipe posted:

It's an MMO, there's no "win state," so it can't be pay to win. Checkmate, goonies. :smug:

Literally what the brown sea says on the matter.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

To be honest I think it's more likely that Frontier would do something to make Elite a compelling, immersive game with enough player-driven content to keep me interested than that CIG would ever produce anything worth paying money for. And that's in spite of the fact that Braben has repeatedly said that he has no intention of ever doing that with Elite.

I'm still hoping multicrew patch for elite makes it so I can casually play with friends, and not spend 2 hours flying across the star map just to play together. But I'm sure the care bears will demand doing multicrew is as dull as every other aspect of that game.

SC may be a buggy mess, but I still have more fun shooting people in SC than elites combat system.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Console release conjecture has been around since at least 2015. But just like your blog posts, it's piss in the wind until someone comes along with concrete proof.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Clearly you're ignorant and behind the curve if you don't know that until it becomes a reality, everything - and anything - about Star Citizen is all conjecture. And that includes the premise that they are actually making a game.

There is no doubt they are making a game, they are just making a lovely game thanks to poor planning, over promising, and spending money faster than they are taking it in. It doesn't exactly take Nostradamus to see the project is hosed; even without "inside sources".

But please continue blogging about how "big things are going to happen" and being vague on the details. For no other reason than making the SC cultists squirm.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Hav posted:

Firstly, deferred updates on some things. These are writes that can be queued. Also use a table driver that handles row level locking rather than table level.

Sharding in database terms usually means splitting actual tables, plus you can use temporary table schemas to handle adhoc transaction states that are 'bundled' back into the main table.

After that, you're into the heady world of binary replication and master/slave configurations. Binary replication is effectively a tight communication line to the slave that just replicates any changes on the master.

But no, you're entirely right, database scaling is a absolute pig. Row locking can be an arsehole, Sharding increases complexity and replication - I had a database fall out of sync once with a slave, and it took 45 minutes to rebuild from the binary logs; a straight dump and rebuild of the master would have taken fifteen. Admittedly that was late 90s, but the second you step out of the technological comfort zone, costs skyrocket.

Eve online had this problem with their MSSQL DB, so the first thing they did was slap it on the biggest SAN array available. They already sharded the systems themselves, but it still gave them an upper limit on number of things they could track that had nothing to do with Moore's law or elastic compute, and more to do with the honking bottleneck around table writes.

I used to work in high availability DB replication to banks and other major businesses; where the software wizards who make this happen fast with 100% reliability command huge salaries. The gaming industry could really benefit from that expertise, but gaming industry wages are poo poo, so its hard to get an engineer to make the switch.

If enough gaming companies move their server infra to AWS or similar there's an opportunity for a middleware company to spring up using the expertise developed in banking software. Response times would need to be faster, but reliability doesn't have to be quite as high so it might balance out.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Hav posted:

What are you doing now? Still DBs?

Banks are essentially betting huge amounts of cash on reducing latency, so they throw all those loving overdraft charges at the scaling issues. We have a bunch of HA stuff that runs the backbone, but I'm not a DB guy, I'm a network guy. I know some _very_ good DB guys who I get drunk regularly so they answer my phone calls, though.

Right behind the banks at the moment are the ad buying networks, which are effectively realtime bidding for eyes. The whole system is gamed to gently caress and back, but there are rules around comscore, and this creates more traffic than you'd believe.

AWS' other big issue, apart from shared infrastructure - unless you pay the big bucks, and you're still not sure where your poo poo 'lives' - is that they like to handle internal routing, so load balancing across availability zones is a bitch to the extent where we've had people routing west coast to east coast, then back to west coast after hitting the AWS network.

Lumberyard was intended to lower to bar to entry for people to produce games, 'hopefully' re-creating the desktop publishing publishing model. It doesn't actually _fix_ anything. Now they have to slipstream their changes to take advantage of the development on HEAD after they aligned to a much, much earlier commit.

I was primarily a GUI developer that helped out in the DB/Network area (e.g. fixed bugs) I slowly moved into full stack developer and project lead. So I've got just enough knowledge to completely understand the issues of HA and DB replication, but not enough to do anything novel in the field. A few months ago I quit the banking/retail sector and doing education software.

But yeah, banks and retail are putting a ton of effort into cleaning up and optimizing their infrastructure. Many firms are trying to get rid of running as much of their own datacenters as they can. Its a fun but very un-glamorous field. Except for when I get to go inside the datacenter where literally all your electronic money is stored, that was fun.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Hav posted:

This is kinda where I am. We're in the middle of a multi-year move to divest datacenters into AWS (and other cloud services). We sold one of our datacenters for around $20m a couple of years ago. It's less about infrastructure and chasing the 60% utilization for us, at least.

To expand on that; business dev considers is wasteful to have boxes suck up cold air at 0.5% utilization, so it's all microservices and elastic computing. We'll spend twice the money getting there, but the overall feel is that the gains will be made over time.

Now, if we can stop people sending network traffic the wrong way around the globe, we might see that.

Indeed, half the reason I quit my old job was the management behind the predictive analytics and capacity planning product wanted to chase the shrinking datacenter market rather than expand into more cloud focused offerings, or at the very least consult on the transition. Companies would buy our capacity planning product for a discounted 1 year trial plan, use the product to determine where their under-utilization is, then drop the product. Our sales would then be shocked how this turned out every time.

Rolling the convo back to video games, I'd really like to sit down with one of the guys doing HA/Capacity planning for a major MMO just to get their insights.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unfortunately CIG's art direction, like everything else, is limited by the imagination of its creative director. Color is just one example. There's little inspiration with respect to any aspect of the game, from the appearance of characters to the starships to even the lore itself. It's pretty sad when the story of Star Citizen (the project) is more interesting and immersive than the story of Star Citizen (the game).

I feel like a lot of it is that Star Citizen has no soul. It has no defining characteristics or rules that dictate how things look or how the universe operates. If you look at something out of Star Wars or Star Trek you can associate it with that universe. Firefly did the same thing by focusing on a western, frontier aesthetic. Elite has largely done the same thing (although I think the Guatamaya ships are a bit out of synch). Wing Commander (the game) did as well with their jets in space and open hangars trying to create a WW2 look within the limitations of the technology. In WC1/2 the ships were bright and colorful, with distinctive silhouettes that attempted to evoke the look of a WW2 space plane. Between WC1 and WC2 the emphasis was placed on increasing the style by using the extra pixels to add paneling in a manner that suggested a riveted warbird. This aesthetic was also transitioned over to the Kilrathi ships, which had a distinct look but retained a "riveted together" appearance. Privateer also follows this aesthetic even with the alien Selkath craft which have a paneled look. The same thing is visible in the cut scenes, and in the inside of the cockpits. Incidentally the limited viewspace of the cockpits was a technical trick; the less you could see out the window the less you had to render.

Curiously Privateer shows an interesting turning point for Wing Commander. While the ships are still sprites they were clearly based off of 3D models. If you compare the difference between ships featured in the first WC and Privateer you can clearly see that the color palette is now muted. We see the same thing happen in later WC ships. As more freedom allows for more detail, it seems to come at the expense of color. This continues in the Wing Commander movie and ultimately now in CR's latest release.

Unfortunately the technological freedom of Star Citizen has resulted in a mish-mash of creative ideas with little in the way of a unifying appearance. Vanduul, Xian, Banu, and Human ships have little to suggest they're part of the same universe. Even the different Human manufacturers take wildly different approaches and leave a lot to be desired. Why does a Hornet have massive "hydrogen scoops" and wings but the Aurora has neither but relies on fans? Why does Drake have everything from a wingless stump of a ship in the Herald to a Cutlass to a space-jet Buccaneer? Where is the unifying theme? What universal rules bring everything together? I would argue there are none, and instead the various ships reflect the lack of vision of the creator. Given the freedom to do anything, Chris Roberts chooses to do everything.

I actually think the Art direction is one of the few ways SC shines. each manufacturer has its own distinctive look and silhouette; which is important when you let players pick their own skin and you want to visually identify them at great range. Unlike say Elite where the majority of ships are very angular and are unidentifiable by their silhouette alone.

Star Wars has a clear "this is empire" and "this is rebel" aesthetic for the original trilogy era. It gets far more muddy in the prequels.

I think its fair to knock the use of fans vs scoops vs fins on the CIG ships, and there are some definitely questionable design decisions, but I'll take unique looking buy absurdly unrealistic over designs that all look the same because the artist is forced to put function over form.

SC is a mix of sci-fi tropes and art styles. Its a collage of mismatch junk that creates its own aesthetic. Like a hipster's apartment full of reclaimed furniture.

Having said that, CIG would have been a lot better off if they went for a more cartoon/artistic style in their art direction instead of "Fidelity", because then the hodgepodge of art styles wouldn't look so out of place.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 5, 2017

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TheAgent posted:

hello

all of these are god knows how credible
  • chris roberts is transitioning away from any game or art design to focus more on company matters
  • someone close to chris (sean tracy??) will be handling all end stage design and art approvals
  • expect 3.0 features in 2018 at the minimum
  • sqlude is still scheduled for this year
  • sqlude is working off a different engine branch than 2.6/3.0 (???)
  • mocapped assets are undergoing redesigns (again)
  • some mocapped characters have changed due to rewrites, causing dialogue to be re-recorded
  • crawling/wall/fast attacking vanduul were too "problematic," will now stand and fire normally
  • AI still broken (shooting through walls, instakilling the player, animations not firing correctly, spazzing out into the great beyond on death anim)
  • netcode still broken
  • updated design docs are forthcoming and will detail some "minor" changes to scope
  • larger ships with full player crews will be hamstrung fighting against AI ships until problems are fixed
  • larger battles are still not possible (2018/2019 minimum) and SC will focus more on smaller player driven skirmishes
  • end year sales "barely put our nostrils above water"

Prediction: cig rolls 3.0 out in a few months, with a dramatically reduced feature set. CR makes a bunch of excuses, and MOMA accepts the excuses as fact and declares that 3.0 was delivered feature complete as promised. This coincides with a ship sale of course. Oh and Derek blogs about how he predicted the above sentence, but it's waiting too clear legal.

What has happened before will happen again. What has been done before will be done again. There is nothing new in the whole 'verse.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh sure, totally agree. I view the PvE and PvP as a general disagreement. Sure there are nutballs that want a cargo rape mechanic but those are outliers.

Guess my point is that at the end of the day you take a random sampling of their dreams and you'd be hard-pressed to find two opinions that would be congruent. Thanks to the lack of design documents, imaginations run wild and ultimately they pat each other on the back thinking Robert's grand vision will address all their individual needs before they snuggle in under a warm blankie for the night. The perpetual dream factory not only keeps cash flowing in, it is more or less a lifeline for these souls. Refactors and adjustments are just a patch away that will solve all of their individual issues.

So, when the real details actually manifest themselves from four studios and they disappoint everyone...that's when the real fireworks will start. Releasing the game is the ultimate mistake.

Case in point: some fan made a video detailing how instancing works; and now the cultist pass it around as fact to justify their 1000 player space battle delusions.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Does this mean I should take my Cobra III out of retirement and start doing things with goons?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Ramadu posted:

something something COSMIC RADIATION

The Expanse has so far had the best depiction of what happens if you open your helmet in space i.e. nothing if youre holding your breath and its not for very long. Pretty cool depictions.

Now that I think about it, they could def take some monster design cues from the crazy bendy people for the Ceres asteroid infections.

If you are holding your breath the alveoli in your lungs will pop. You need to exhale completely.

But the expanse is awesome and book 6 is great, mandatory nerd reading.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 9, 2017

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TheAgent posted:

hello

• backers will be able to "early access" (alpha test) the sqlude
  • this will be considered the "preview" release version (mvp I guess)
  • this will also count as the first episode

MOMA : Care to offer an opinion on what the Minimum mission length SQ42 should be in order to consider episode 1 delivered as originally promised in 2012? I think it was 50 missions?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

Backers are not getting early "alpha" test access to SQ42. I don't really have a clue to mission lengths yet. SQ42 is very tight-lipped.

If it turns out backers get alpha access to SQ42 would you consider it that The Agent was right, or that CR simply changed his mind and its totally unrelated?

Original promised mission length is 50 missions at the 5 million dollar stretch goal. 35 from an earlier goal. (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals) I figured you would know this.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

To give you an idea of how god awful the tutorial was, if you had a joystick it would not work in the tutorial only. The the one place you got taught how to fly was the one place you could not use your HOTAS

I played through the tutorial with a joystick. Although that was when the first released it. This one of the things they broken in the later releases?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Here's a question for you nerds:

Is a dog in alpha a:
  • puppy
    or
  • wolf

Neither. Its a lizard with gills, or if you prefer a fish with legs. Checkmate goonie.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

How is there not a loving full-scale revolt going on over the fact that some dude who gave them 12 grand to make a game could potentially be banned and lose everything before the game even leaves alpha?

I suspect CIG plans do do nothing about this problem and just saying they will is to placate the carebear citizens. After all, we've established they will believe every other empty promise coming from CIG, why not this one?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

That may be the first time I've got more than 30 upvotes in that sub. Normally I'm in the -10 or less range.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The response when more and more people lose faith is going to be even more interesting. Some folks will just shrug and move one. Others (like me) will watch the whole thing burn, and then of course there's the subset of folks who might get violent or self-harm. I hope that subset doesn't exist, but you don't scam hundreds of thousands of people without getting a few outliers.

I think the odds of self harm are unfortunately really high here. People are dumping more money than they can afford into this. NMS was just a $50 game and people melted down. What happens with those that dropped $5k+?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I'm pretty sure /r/dereksmart subreddit is a direct violation of the no harassment rules. Their little hate box exists because Derek allows it to exist.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Please tell me there is an unintentional slur in Chinese or Arabic in there somewhere.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Decrepus posted:

The Skyrim Dragon language was the best because it sounded cool. It was just English with different letters because WHO GIVES A gently caress

Its almost as if Bethesda was more concerned about making a fun video game than a fictional universe. Clearly the makes of the best selling Fallout and ElderScrolls franchises don't understand video game development.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

OhDearGodNo posted:

Simply put, they don't have a revenue stream.

Oh they have a revenue stream, they just don't have a product stream.

I look forward to the day lethality or cymelion has a 3 page :reddit: post blaming goons for all of it.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I think I'm pretty moderate.

A lot of my org buds think no SQ42 shown is no big deal, everything's great etc. I thought it sucked I was looking forward to seeing some stuff. But I don't spiral into negativity and see stuff that simply isn't there. Some of you make Annabelle Huxley on RSI look unbiased.

How late would 3.0 need to be before you start to question CIG's ability to deliver on their promises? If Sq42 isn't the 50 missions it was promised to be would you still consider it delivered?

CIG is always moving the goal posts, so man up and Draw a line you don't think CIG will cross. Because they are going to disappoint you.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Seriously. Every game has negative consequences if you mess up and don't do your homework. This is a not a new concept.

The stronger the negative consequences the greater effect of griefing. But SC fans are mostly care bears who can't even handle dissenting opinion. These two facts are incompatible. Thus SC, even if delivered as promised,is hosed.

Even elite had to create the solo play mode so the Care Bears could be space truckers in peace.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

aleksendr posted:

As for the "Elite players are Carebear and had to have a solo mode". This was what was pitched back in the original funding rounds. The concept for E:D was just that:An up to date version of Elite, a solo game. It grew into a Hybrid MMO but Frontier got a lot of flack for it from some backers, thus the compromise of "solo play" was born.

That is true, but being able to swap between solo mode and open mode is kind of bullshit. It very much reminds me of server hopping in DayZ.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

aleksendr posted:

It may not be fun for those wanting live or PvP interactions, but some players sometime just want to chill back, see the stars and pew-pew at some poor helpless Ai pirates. The game model does not require a minimum viable population like most mmo for participating in some content, so why not have both kind of players enjoy the game ? You can play Mal Reynolds on the frontier if you want to or go all Diamond Frogs and mess up other players for fun. Being able to pick either make for a better game in my opinion.

You are totally missing the point. Solo mode itself isn't a problem: Its that you get to bring your stuff with you when server hopping. Want that expensive autism chariot? You should be forced to to earn it in PVP land from start to finish.

To rolls this back into SC: Assuming CIG managed to make a game, they will probably be forced to do the same thing because the SC carebears already lose their minds over the mere thought of "Non-consensual PVP".

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 16, 2017

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

It seemed like it'd be easier and more ethical to just type "yea my bad didn't see it I'll be sure to do my homework next time" instead of digging a hole another 6 feet and making yourself look like a horse's rear end.

We are posting in a thread about a lovely non game that will never be delivered. We are all horses asses here.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Goobs posted:

Gremlich and Erillion will kill themselves when SC doesnt come out. Calling it.

I think Beer called it 2 years ago. I used to feel bad for the die hard whales. Now I feel they have been sufficiently warned. I hope they find the help they need. Seems like even if the game was delivered as promised, it still won't live up to their dreams and they melt down.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Madcosby posted:

Just curious, how would people in thjs thread rate derek smarts games?

Why would I want to play games that are worse than Duke Nukem Forever?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Your cynicism is unreal

For example, the multi-crew tech that Chris specifically mentions will be in 3.0. That is something that is arguably in development (or at least nailed down enough to start development) for the near future. Even if 3.0 has only basic versions of persistence (not just loadouts like now, but actual positional persistence), insurance, missions, planetary ecosystems/hazards, landing zones, multi-crew stations, and the other advancements slated to come with Items 2.0, then every item they talked about that covers those topics likely very much qualify as in development for the next content patch, even if you are skeptical of 3.0 imminence.

So 3.0 is the Jesus patch eh? When should we expect to see it?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Posts like this are frustrating.

The problem is that if they tell you how they plan to do it and it doesn't go exactly that way, this entire thread will have shitfits even more than usual. That's why they say that's how we'd like to it, that's what we're hoping to aim for. People really don't get how insanely complex, dynamic, and constantly changing game development is.

It is one of the most blatant real-life examples of "a well-laid plan never survives contact with the enemy unharmed/without having holes punched in it". You can lay a general plan; you can say, we want to do this, we think this will be fun, we hope to do this, but the actual day to day development, much less long-term layout, is changing constantly and messing with those plans. Especially on a game that is trying to do this much, that is this big, and is doing so many things that haven't been done at this scale, fidelity, ambition, etc. Iteration is constant, unpredictable, and necessary to get something good.

Most people outside of the industry don't seem to be able to understand, conceive, or deal with this reality, and it's part of why most games, especially of this scale, are not developed even remotely openly. Because everyone who isn't in the trenches can't handle how unpredictable, difficult, iterative, complex, and nonlinear it is.

What separates a good software developer from a bad one is the ability to scope a project and deliver it on time.

I'm sorry you're a lovely software developer. Git Good, Lern-2-Project-Manage.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

SC is clearly Agile. We get constant updates, buildwise and information wise on a near daily basis. A project like SC is going to take a long time to iterate to the final product to be sure. But to say this isn't Agile is really ignorant about what is being released on this project on a regular basis.

If SC was agile, they would deliver many vertical slices with minimal feature changes that were Stable and On Time. So far CIG has done exactly the opposite.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

gently caress you, Chris Roberts! You piece of poo poo motherfucker, I hope you choke on a caviar hors-d'oeuvre in the middle of the Atlantic.

e: f;b

Is this guy playing the same SC I'm playing? Because SC has none of these things.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

The Titanic posted:

This is so sad. :(

I hope this guy gets to be satisfied with the game at some point.

Roberts is looking less and less like an incompetent given too much money, and more like Willy Wonka.

Someone should visit the Santa Monica office and see if a team of orange programmers sing the oompa-loompa song as a warning.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Are we mocking fat people again? Because I'd really like to dump on some slob who can't resist putting down the cheetoes, but I want to be sure that's a thing before I unlease my blog about it. But first it has to get past legal.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

DapperDon posted:

I think what just gets me the most about this lunatic is his inability to distinguish what is actually in the game right now vs whatever word vomit the handwaving idiot crobbers shits out of his mouth hole. When this thing goes tits up, he is one of the first ones I will make sure to ask where all of these things were. Although I suspect he will just hit the ejector seat button on his accounts to run from the embarrassment. No way is this fucker facing that music.

It is going to be infinitely disappointing to be unable to rub it in the face of the die-hard superfans who insist everything shown is in game and CR just needs to "flip a switch" to enable it for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

DapperDon posted:

That is why when people speculate if the "True Believahs" may off themselves when CIG collapses, I just don't care. Not one bit. If they are hinging their entire identity and life over a video game? That's natural loving selection at work in real time. That kind of mental illness needs to be culled from the gene pool.

Well, judging by the average age of people who grew up loving Wing Commander, they probably already have kids.

I just hope some of these people get the help they need.