Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Mangoose posted:

So these ship prices.

I can see two things happening. Either the ships will be easy to get in-game and thus not warrant a price tag like $800. Lots of backers will be pissed off because some guy got the ship THEY bought for a shitload of money during Citizencon '17 after a few months of semi-casual play. Others will still be happy, because it was never about the ships. It was about backing the dream.

The other case would be that it'll take a stupid amount of time to get a reasonable ship in-game without paying real money for it. That would make it really hard for them to attract new players unless they have a loving amazing gameplay loop and tons of stuff to do for the players flying around in the 'verse in the equivalent of a Datsun Cherry.

As far as I understand it, there won't be a real money cash shop after release, or whatever they consider "release". Of course, this means that, since Crobbers has gone on record saying that the game isn't going to have a conventional release, they'll be selling ships until the end of time. But if they actually stop selling ships, how the gently caress are they going to balance time vs money spent, and how are they going to defend it to the whales who are in for 10k+?

This is all assuming that they somehow manage to create a playable product that would appeal to anyone enough to make them purchase and play it.

I see a third thing happening: Ships take a long time to acquire, but there are various money making "exploits" that cut the time it takes to earn a ship by 90%. So while playing the game the "normal" way means earning a big ship takes 100+ hours, savvy players can do it in 10.

The whales then scream constantly about how the economy is ruined by these exploiters, they should be banned, their game experience ruined, etc.

In other words: Imagine Elite but most of the original players paid $500 for their Anaconda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I am continually amused at the amount of stuff goons get blamed for, and the :tinfoil: accusations of power over SC.

"Trust me guys, I'm an expert on goons. I paid :10bux: to read 6000 pages of cat pictures and have determined goons no longer have any power. I stopped them!"

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

SomethingJones posted:

I don't buy Ben knowing the 'where the bodies' are buried line either

Because a leak saying that implies the leaker knows what Ben knows, so why not just leak it?

The truth of it is (if you ask me) that nobody actually knows what Ben does to justify his wage and Ben knows that people around him feel this way, or have made it known to him that they feel that way. At least Sandi tells people to tweet poo poo for her and shows up to do her makeup sit in front of a camera once a week.

If Ben's gone he has left by his own decision and past experience with CIG will tell you that he's likely signed something on the way out the door too.

But what the gently caress do I know.

Chris keeps Ben on because Chris is a narcissist and loves having a literal yes-man following him around telling him how great every idea is.

I'd love to know why Ben left, but I cannot imagine they got rid of him. My completely uninformed guess is a combination of his failing health and realization that there is no game.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

6 million, only because they introduce land for sale. They will literally sell an entire moon.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

The Titanic posted:

It could be, but that video is 4 years old. There is no female model today and there wasn’t one then either.

There is a difference between doing these things and using that data for something, and doing these things and then never using that data for anything but a creepy video about how you recorded naked women to your vastly male dominated audience at the height of hot tub ships and other such things.

Also this all took place around the time CR was talking about the characters getting naked, including the women, and it was just creepy. Meanwhile your community is clearly objectifying the female player base, and CIGs reaction is to save the money instead of the moral high ground.

You may be right and I may be wrong. I’ve never done motion capture before so who knows! Maybe it’s all a big happy naked orgy of video game production.

Take one figure drawing class and you’re so desensitized you don’t even notice. Having said that, drat it CUG just use some drat pasties you clowns. It’s not like you’re going to need perfect modeling in that area.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

As funny as picking that name is I've been trying to suppress memories of that book since reading it so drat yooooouuuu
Can someone actually explain this

Because it went from "interesting take on futuristic tactical gear" to "mr potato doom marine" and that's quite the progression

As far as I'm concerned they are both starship troopers.

There are some unique space-marine art styles out there, but few games deviate from the Heinlein archetype.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 1, 2017

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Krakenwagen posted:

We'rent the actual starship troopers jumping into hives alone from orbit and obliterating everything? I remember it was a major gripe I had with the film where they show them as cannon meat. They were more like mobile suits than just body armour.

Yeah, in the book they jump from orbit and are far more tactically intelligent and consistent with the tech a space faring civilization would have, the movie is poo poo.

The book described them as powered armor with jet packs, but it doesn't go into detail. I think its safe to say any of the fully armored space suits you see in video games owe their roots to the novel. So IMHO getting bent out of shape over ripping off "Doom" or "Halo" is kind of moot, because those games are just ripping off older sources. Even some of the old book covers look like the classic space marine we all know.

Now if someone would come along and have games where the Space Marines had multiple arms legs, and other features that blur the line between "armor" and "vehicle", it would be really unique. Then there are artists like StTheo https://sttheo.deviantart.com/ who doesn't deviate from the formula of "Taticool space armor", but does an amazing job of making them look distinct.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 1, 2017

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

This is Skyrim's gameplay loop:

Step 1. Install Skyrim
Step 2. Install some mods
Step 3. launch game and configure mods
Step 4. Go back to step 2 and repeat until
Step 5. Your game is broken
Step 6. Try to figure out which of your 250 mods broke it
Step 7. Delete Skyrim
Step 8. Wait some time then return to step 1.

If you don't like Battling a mechanical dragon while riding a My Little Pony, swinging your Master's Sword while Optimus Prime is sworn to carry your burdens, you don't know how to have fun. Oh wait, nevermind that's the ending to Ready Player One.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Can someone with more time than sense link the citizens all the places where CIG themselves said the framerate issues were due to the network stack?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Bribase posted:

Exactly.

Employ some common sense and understand that CIG have financial adivsors and business managers who oversee the company's expansion and make prudent decisions about their projected income. Brian Chambers didn't just set up shop in Frankfurt on a whim, they didn't open up a new studio in Derby because they ran out of desks in Manchester. And CIG aren't taking growing their staff numbers and opening up new studios without the presence of mind to check if they can afford it.

I shouldn't have to remind everyone that CIG has open positions waiting to be filled, not people on staff waiting to be paid. If they were just stealing it, we would be seeing "wheres my paycheck" or no one even hired in the first place.

I mean seriously dusty, this guy gets it. No corporation in the history of time has ever made bad decisions, lied to staff, or defrauded investors. People are inherently virtuous, and its only those vile content locust gamers that cause anyone any harm.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nothing is going to happen feel free to quote the poo poo out of this.

DS is the CIG of ELEs at this point.

Lets see here:

1- CIG steals other peoples ideas and call them their own. DSmart steals SA poster leaks and calls them his own.
2- CIG promises release dates and never delivers. DSmart promises exclusives, breaking news, and insider info and never delivers.
3- CIG produces a lovely, bug ridden "Alpha". DSmart... Just Posts.

Checks out.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

AP posted:

It's actually happening, the next few days are going to be amazing.*

*2 weeks tops.

I'm hoping its so huge that /r/starcitizen has a complete meltdown and people start camping out in front of CIG offices.

But Derek has been crying wolf for 2 years straight, so meh.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Daztek posted:

Derek first had to build up his blogs, so technically crying wolf only started two weeks ago

You're right, Derek's Wolf Crying is still in alpha, and shouldn't be judged by normal "Called It" standards. It's well documented that Cassandra took 8 years to carve her omens into stone before presenting them to Agamemnon.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Codezombie posted:

I've done it for the daily totals.

1 Count 339
2 Count 237
3 Count 310
4 Count 251
5 Count 204
6 Count 194
7 Count 137
8 Count 98
9 Count 85
Grand Count 1855

Edit: Data is scraped from here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Unless of course CIG knows about Benfords law, and made up their fake numbers accordingly.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TheAgent posted:

gently caress me I think this is probably the worst bomb right here

that basically means

finally time for that full engine rewrite!

And now when CIG announces and engine change, the true believers will loudly proclaim "this is good for star citizen" and "The delay in release is totally the fault of cryteks' lovely engine" as loudly as they can.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Hav posted:

Weirdly, this is leading to a generation who don't understand that coding up a little something at work for your own purposes means that the people paying you own it.

Depends on the company. I've worked under three different software firms that have a "anything you code in your spare time, we own it too" clause as part of the employment contract.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

SoftNum posted:

I know this is getting into derail territory; but I was under the impression that much like tech non-competes, these sorts of clauses ended up being basically unenforceable.

Also they can have the sorts of poo poo I code in my spare time.

I presume so, but who wants to take the chance/expense over litigating it?

My most recent one they later amended it to cover only "Code in a similar manner to which you do as part of employment" (paraphrasing). The fear was that someone could take their insider knowledge, write a competing program from scratch, and go into business for themselves.

And to be perfectly honest, a few of us disgruntled programmers were talking about doing exactly that. "We can rewrite this 20 year old poo poo from scratch on the weekend, then immediately steal a couple of seven figure/year accounts!"

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TheAgent posted:

the biggest reveal in that is god knows how much they paid out to motherfuckin superman of all people

Probably very little. An agreement for a percentage of revenue that they intended to pay "after the game ships". Which will never happen.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

thatguy posted:

Imagine being Ben right now.

At this point I just feel sorry for him.

He goes to work for his idol, he destroys his body (he gained something like 150 lbs working there?), then his idol pushes him out of the limelight, then cans him as the dream comes crashing down.

I wonder if someone went through his twitter posting, as it shifted from excitement about SC back to WC, tracks of the fortunes of CIG and his treatment there.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

Not to poo poo on you cuz you're not generally wrong, but no, Witcher 3 has that much content. The combat is what it is, but it's a beautiful and massive world to explore.

The main storyline isn't gated behind taking 100 hours, it's much shorter than that, but you can spend 100 hours getting through. You can do the same thing in Witcher 3 as you did in Skyrim, when people say it took a hundred hours to finish, they mean they played like Skyrim.

The only big gripe I have with Witcher 3 and it's content is how they integrated the DLC (terribly) and how there's a couple chokepoints for the game it can get confused over. But largely, it's over a hundred hours of detailed stuff.

Seconded. It’s a 100 hour game that flows by quickly because everything you do feels fresh and engaging.unlike elite which is grind by design.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

My "source" is pretty tight lipped of recent, so I don't have the juicy tidbits that I called in the past such as SM actually in the code of 2.6 when released, or accurate player counts being tested, certain ships and their prices, etc.

Is this the same source that told you 3.0 by June?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Preen Dog posted:

Respectfully disagree. I know it's crazy to say they wouldn't sell something, but hear me out. A big mech would require some programming changes to get them to move and balance right. Also, they would have collision problems with an object that big that animates (ceilings not tall enough, etc).

Are the two guys who wrote the original MWLL mod still working for CIG or have them moved on? Because they got it working with mod tools.

Besides "Working Mechs in game" and "Selling mechs" are totally different things.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Shame most of those players are on private group and solo mode.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Thoatse posted:

Not at all, you're right on the money and it makes me a bitter grognard. This hits to the core of why I want to punch Star Citizen in the throat -it was exclusively supposed to not be another one of these generic pieces of poo poo for the unwashed masses and that is 100% the flag crobbler and co wrapped themselves in that got this project off the launchpad in the first place. 'dust off ur joyticks' 'no guns follow the ship' 'no freelancer controls' 'no point and click', 'controls agnostic!' and such were all actual answers given in official capacity to early worriers with enough foresight on the subject to ask specific questions to suss out this issue.

Around the 50-60 million dollar mark though they threw out all that 'niche game to revive a niche genre' talk and entered the 'too big to fail' territory and started selling mutually exclusive ~dreamz~ to the much wider/generic FPS crowd once sim whales were running out of milk. They have maintained the illusion they will one day make that flight sim (just wait till beta!) they sold to the delusionals still hanging on, all the while cementing everything in place that will prevent that from ever happening just like they did with VR.

As far as I can see, it's literally the biggest bait and switch in the history of making games, at least to my autistic brain

I think people filled in the blanks with *dreams* more than any kind of bait and switch on the flight model. For all of CR's lies, he did say that combat would be similar to Wing Commander (aka arcade); just with "realistically modeled thrusters".

People read "realistically modeled thrusters" and concluded it would be full newtonian 3d Asteroids style combat and not wing commander.

I don't think anyone actually wants to play a realistic space dogfighting game; fun against dumb as bricks AI. Terrible against humans.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

It never felt like wing commander though. It felt like I was trying to play a FPS with a joystick circa 1996 with Jedi Knight. When you play freelancer then try Star Citizen with a MKB set up it became obvious who was being catered to and priority given for flight controls. I signed up for a new wing commander/Xwing like game not War Thunder in space that it became.

That being said Elite 3.0 beta should be downloaded. Took the doge to the park since it's 60 in Jan.

Yeah, they never quite got it right, and probably never will. One of the early alphas was *close*, but it got continually worse as they continually confused "realism" with "fun", just like they do with every other aspect of the game.

I'd be very excited for Elite Beta if it wasn't for the fact FDev decided Elite needed to be MORE grindy.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

code:
// Determines which actor is at fault for a collision
// returns true if actor a is at fault, false if actor b is at fault
bool IsBlame(entityActor a, entityActor b)
{
	if(a.name.equals("Paul Walker")) {
		return true;
	}
	return false;
}
Fixed that for you.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Bayonnefrog posted:

They're definitely working on a game. They're just terrible at it. It's Harvard Business School case study levels of mismanagement. And the product they're working on no one wants. A small group of single, no-lifer males with disposable income are the one funding it. This has no broad based support across the gaming industry. We're having a good laugh at the whole thing.

Lets be honest, this is Greendale Community College case study levels of mismanagement.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Meanwhile the makers of Rebel Galaxy have another space game in the works....

https://twitter.com/RebelGalaxy/status/998735783463923713

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 22, 2018

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Nyast posted:

The other day in one of his videos, he said the reason he still supports CIG is that he was waiting for private dedicated servers and modding which will save the project. I don't think he realizes that CIG considers private server one of the lowest priorities, which says a lot.

Didn't CIG cut those features like 3 years ago?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

This would be impractical unless your butthole were gimbaled FYI

You also need a counter force from the opposite direction to arrest the rotation. e.g. You need projectile vomiting.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a thing, complete with mocking SC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjlDDZOGWvo

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Out of curiosity I looked into the state of Star Citizen now that you can buy ships in game. I'm not sure this has been mentioned already but the top tier ship costs 21 million credits; which means you have to run 20-30k missions to earn that ship in-game, no idea how many hours that is, but 5,000 hours is a conservative estimate.

Totally not pay to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

EvilMerlin posted:

Elite does it just fine...

And they refuse to add some keybinds specifically because they don't want to exclude the console users.