Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Werner Herzog is my favorite movie director of all time. I can't honestly say I've seen a movie directed or written by him that I disliked or found bad, which is actually a real big deal since there are amazing directors out there with real stinkers on their curriculum. I'm making this thread to get people to watch his incredible, poignant and powerful movies and to comment on them.

Recommended Films:

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - One of my favorite movies ever, this is Herzog's start of his partnerships with Klaus Kinski and the band Popol Vuh. Excellent acting with minimalist storytelling makes for a gripping portrait of creeping insanity.

Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call: New Orleans - The definite proof that Nicholas Cage is an excellent actor as long as he's on a movie that knows what it is doing, this is actually a better movie than the original Harvey Keitel movie. Iguana Cam ftw.

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser - An incredible movie, with an incredible casting choice. For the titular role, a child that was raised in a single room and abused for almost 20 years since birth during 19th century then let loose in the streets of Nuremberg, Herzog cast Bruno Schleinstein, an outsider artist with a history of mental illness, which delivered one of the most believable performances on all Cinema.

Recommended Documentaries:

Grizzly Man - Probably the most famous of them all, and one I regrettably only watched recently, this is Herzog trying to connect and empathize with Timothy Treadwell, a film-maker and environmental activist that was killed and eaten by Grizzly Bears in Alaska. Herzog's reaction to Treadwell's last audio tape (which we will never hear) and the Coroner's chilling description of Treadwell's death are perhaps stronger than any actual footage of the incident.

My Best Fiend - A documentary with footage from his previous movies, this shows Herzog's difficult relation with the brilliant, yet extremely volatile actor Klaus Kinski, and how two massive egos can clash with disastrous results.

Into the Inferno - Available on Netflix, his most recent documentary is supposedly about Volcanoes, which he became quite interested in since Encounters at the End of the World, but it is actually as the relationship between humankind and the volcano, from Polynesian Cargo Cults to North Korea's Foundation Myth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I love his movies. Wonderful films

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Even dwarwes started small is incredibly sick

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I liked that he voiced himself in that The Boondocks episode about Obama winning.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I recently bought the Werner Herzog blu-ray collection that Shoutfactory put out, and I've watched about half of it so far and it's awesome.

I recommend getting drunk and watching Even Dwarfs Started Small. I do not recommend getting drunk and watching Lessons of Darkness (a mostly dialogue-free documentary about the destruction of Baghdad in the 90s, mainly oil fires).

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
My favorite Herzog movie is probably Fitzcarraldo, but I've never seen one from him I didn't like. He's definitely my favorite director alive. Here's an interview he did on Letterman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruY1FrVW9KE

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My Werner Herzog list on Letterboxd.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

you need to watch woyzeck

e: didnt see it all the way down

my wheelhouse
Nov 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pY-0JfEdLY

dadada123
Sep 3, 2014

Im gonna watch Aguirre soon

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

discount cathouse posted:

you need to watch woyzeck

e: didnt see it all the way down

Yeah, not one of my favorites.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah, not one of my favorites.

the dialogue is really good because its a great play but it doesnt translate that well maybe

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's a post I made in the "Pick a Director, Watch Every Movie" thread just after completing Herzog (back when my name was caiman):

When I first started this endeavor I had seen a good handful of Werner Herzog's films, mainly the famous ones. If at that point I had to sum up what his filmmaking was all about, I'd have probably said something like "man vs the wild", or "the overwhelming indifference of nature" (to quote Grizzly Man). But now that I've experienced Herzog's entire body of work, I'd sum it up thusly: "People are fascinating creatures". Herzog is awed by strange human behavior, whether it's our drive to overcome obstacles and achieve self-prescribed goals, our need to conquer our environment and dominate those around us, our peculiar religious and cultural customs, our proclivity to lash out violently, or our need to overcome personal demons. Nature is merely a catalyst (or often times a hurdle) for our odd quirks and obsessions. Herzog has scoured all seven continents to tell the stories of the most fascinating people in existence. His gaze, whether in fiction or nonfiction, is always objective, unflinching, non judgemental, and honest.

At the end of the day I think what draws me to Herzog may have as much to do with the man himself as it does with his films. Herzog is as fascinating a character as any in his own movies. His tenacity, optimism, confidence, willpower and sense of adventure are truly something out of fiction. He goes to the greatest lengths, climbs the highest heights, submits himself to the most dangerous environments, and never compromises, all for the sake of his craft. He's truly larger than life. Everyone should check out the film Burden of Dreams for a glimpse into the utter madness that is Werner Herzog's filmmaking process.

When I think back over his films as a whole, what comes to mind aren't plots and stories, but individual images: Kaspar Hauser unable to stand under his own weight; the preacher Huey pontificating behind his alter; a sea of windmills spread across a vast valley; Aguirre's ugly mug glaring menacingly over our shoulder; a lone penguin rushing off to the distant mountains to face certain death, the disoriented blind deaf child hitting a ball against his face; a dancing chicken, the crazy-eyed Wodaabe people; the strange musical duo in Fata Morgana; a little person laughing incessantly at a camel; a giant boat being hoisted up the side of a mountain. I could go on and on. Herzog creates hauntingly unforgettable images. Sometimes they tie in directly with his themes, other times they remain enigmatic, just out of reach but always strangely appropriate. He's a filmmaker who digs into us by merely showing us something remarkable. I throw the word around a lot, but no descriptor sums up his films better than "memorable." Nobody will watch a movie like Even Dwarfs Started Small and then just forget about it. Nobody.

But his striking images do more than merely surprise and amuse us. From his depictions of these oddities often emerges much deeper emotional revelations. Herzog would be the first to admit that he often stages certain elements of his documentaries. He describes this practice in his Lessons in Film series, where he explains that he is not a cinema verité director; what he shows in his docs is not necessarily candid realism, but rather a presentation that may or may not be realistic on the most superficial level, but serves to reveal deeper truths.

So you may be thinking, "Okay that's all well and good caiman, but I'm not going to watch 62 movies! Give me a rundown of the essentials." Fine. Here are the movies of his that I feel should not be missed:

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
Grizzly Man
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Even Dwarfs Started Small
Into the Abyss
Land of Silence and Darkness
Death Row
The Dark Glow of the Mountain
Fitzcarraldo
Lessons of Darkness
The White Diamond
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Encounters at the End of the World

But really, there are very few Herzog films that I WOULDN'T recommend.

Werner Herzog has shown me the world, the incredible beings that inhabit it, and the tendency of humans to do awesome, bewildering, horrifying, wonderful things. This has been a great ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
He was a nice surprise in Jack Reacher

• Locked thread