Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

frameset posted:

Does anyone else foresee a Yoda nerf? He feels like the latest in the line of Maz style supports that are too good.

Aayla probably needs a Balance of the Force points increase more than Yoda but I don't think either of them are so overpowering that it's a need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

Off the top of my head the #1 card I'd like to see something done with is Running Interference. Not because it's running rampant through the meta, but because it's completely un-fun to play against. Even the people I know that play the card a lot agree that it's a little too much and brings the game down.

I can definitely see why someone would want RI changed but I love it and really hope they don't unless RI decks become opressive. It's one of the most unique and one of the most skill testing cards in the game and it is pretty much the only thing that makes Yellow Hero decks playable at all.

Edit: personally I really hate mill and find that the absolute most frustrating thing to lose against. Especially because for decks that don't burst the only counterplay is to not play your cards.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 16, 2018

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
I can't wait to go to the regional today after having worked all night long. Nothing says "12 mistakes a game" like getting no sleep before a long tournament.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

KO Derf posted:

I can't wait to go to the regional today after having worked all night long. Nothing says "12 mistakes a game" like getting no sleep before a long tournament.

Hey, same! Also coming down with something. Maybe we'll get matched up so we can make dumb mistakes together :unsmith:

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
Well that was an interesting day of playing Destiny.
For the last few weeks I have been working on my Finn-Yoda deck and had it just about as good as it could be. I was having issues with Sabine though, and couldn't win more than about 1 in 5. So when I got home this morning I made a new deck on the fly.
Bazine - FN2199 - Seventh Sister

Took 12th place, but I am sure I could have done better if I could remember how to play after being awake all drat night and day. Lost the last 2 games in swiss and then 2 in a row in the cut. I couldn't concentrate enough to shuffle the damned cards by the end (Next time I take the night off).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

KO Derf posted:

Well that was an interesting day of playing Destiny.
For the last few weeks I have been working on my Finn-Yoda deck and had it just about as good as it could be. I was having issues with Sabine though, and couldn't win more than about 1 in 5. So when I got home this morning I made a new deck on the fly.
Bazine - FN2199 - Seventh Sister

Took 12th place, but I am sure I could have done better if I could remember how to play after being awake all drat night and day. Lost the last 2 games in swiss and then 2 in a row in the cut. I couldn't concentrate enough to shuffle the damned cards by the end (Next time I take the night off).

I was doing pretty well all things considered, 2nd seed after the cut and 6-1 playing vs. my worst matchup all day long. In like 10 games I literally only played against two different decks even though the overall field was pretty diverse. Was gonna take notes, but why bother writing up the same match over and over. The guy I played after the cut had also teched even harder for that specific matchup, so that was rough enough as is in the first games, but our last game was just a complete blowout, I couldn't roll anything but blanks or disrupt sides when they didn't matter. I think I did like 3 or 4 damage total that game, and that was only off a Bait & Switch.

edit: man that is not at all what I expected for the finals, given the meta earlier in the day.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 18, 2018

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Wezlar posted:

Yoda decks can have a really hard time dealing with Seventh Sister decks and haven't really been doing well since everyone learned to tech against mill so unless there are some sweeping changes I kind of doubt it.

The metagame is in a really good place right now. Of the 18 regionals in the last month 9 different decks won and no deck won more than 3 regionals so honestly they would be kind of insane to start banning cards.

Yeah after playing a regional this weekend I'm inclined to agree with you. I think I might have been a bit hasty to call for a nerf.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think I'm probably going to play Thrawn/Talzin at regionals this weekend. Mill feels like an awful matchup but otherwise the deck feels really good and I think it has a ton of play no matter what matchup you're playing because you get so much free dice fixing and Thrawn really rewards matchup knowledge.

Plus I think unless the meta changes a ton it's probably a deck I can master and still play at worlds.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Thrawn/Talzin felt like a lot of fun and I debated it as a regional choice, I just didn't trust myself to not start miscalling with Thrawn after like the 15th game in a day. I think it's going to be my next project though, pretty bored with a lot of the major lists at this point.

All in all though, the meta feels very healthy right now, even if a lot of it boils down to Rock Paper Scissors matchups. Our regionals had 5 distinct archetypes in top 8, and while Swiss had significant percentages of people on one of twoish decks, many of them didn't make the cut and there was a pretty wide variety represented amongst the remaining players. In any case, I had to elect not to go to worlds, so I'm kinda lacking goals at the moment and I think a lot of people locally are burnt out post-regionals so I'm not sure how much more of this meta I'll be playing.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Our regional will be fairly small (If people travel to it we might get 20+) so I will be pretty disappointed in myself if I don't get at least top 8. I got into worlds from the draw though so I'm really just playing for practice/prizes.

If anyone feels like running some sets on tts for fun/practice let me know. I'm Wezlar on steam or you can find me in the KoR discord

I want to get in a lot of practice for worlds, I don't actually take the game as seriously as my friend who I share cards with but how many chances am I ever going to get to be world champion of anything?

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
does anyone play online over webcam? one of my freinds moved away and this is p much the only way we play now. P fun but i guess it'd be very easy to cheat...

Hauki
May 11, 2010

lowly abject turd posted:

does anyone play online over webcam? one of my freinds moved away and this is p much the only way we play now. P fun but i guess it'd be very easy to cheat...

I’d wager 99% of online play is via TTS.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
It's really cool having absolutely no idea when the next set is coming, no clue when events like store Champs will kick off, and now online events (Artificery) shut down.

Lots of people in my area have died off recently, and we never really recovered from the Spirit of Rebellion Era in the first place. The only good thing so far is that I've met a bunch of cool people I can play other games with!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Tragically word on the street is there's a good chance we don't see Will of the Force until June, maybe even July. I'm pretty soft on the current constructed meta after playing a bunch locally since the release of Legacies, and have no interest in drafting since I don't need anything I'd be getting out of packs. Lots of others locally are in various degrees of the same position. Weekly events are firing but no one is really excited by them, save for the few people here who are practicing for Worlds in May. After that... :confused:

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

I’m just getting into the game, and so far it’s been interesting. I’m looking to build some theme decks that will (most likely) be non-competitive, but fun - is there a go-to place online to pick up singles? I can’t find a FLGS with an active play group to trade with, otherwise I’d hit them up.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Cool Stuff Inc and Miniature Market both have a pretty decent selection.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

I’m just getting into the game, and so far it’s been interesting. I’m looking to build some theme decks that will (most likely) be non-competitive, but fun - is there a go-to place online to pick up singles? I can’t find a FLGS with an active play group to trade with, otherwise I’d hit them up.

You can get most uncommons and under -except for the most in demand ones- for dirt cheap, like $0.25- 0.50 a pop. Much cheaper than buying packs, but if you’re going to be buying packs you’ll probably get most of them anyways.

Legendaries range from $2.00 to $60 for in demand legendaries like Yoda, Vader, OG Palp, etc.

CoolStuffInc is definitely the place to check out. They’ve got a deal on right now for two display boxes (awakenings + Empire at War, 36 packs each) and a two player starter for $149. That’s around $60 cheaper than normal for all that. Worth it if you’re going to take it seriously.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

If anyone is at Worlds shoot me a pm, I'm hanging out until IA starts then heading over to the Radisson for side events. I'll probably be here all week.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Wezlar posted:

If anyone is at Worlds shoot me a pm, I'm hanging out until IA starts then heading over to the Radisson for side events. I'll probably be here all week.

My buddy and I got into this money put a month or two ago and are probably gonna go to worlds next year; I’d read a trip report if you’re inclined to write one up. Good luck!

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm gonna write up a trip report when I get back for sure. Just want to mention that the prize wall is unacceptably bad. Worse than a GQ. Almost everything is leftover promos. The only spot gloss characters available are the unplayable droid panorama, Hondo, Kanaan and Phasma (which was the store champs top 4 prize). The binders you get for registering are complete trash compared to the leather deck boxes you got in previous years. If you want those leather deck boxes you can get them with tickets but they're leftover ones from 2016. It's absolutely ridiculous. gently caress FFG.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 3, 2018

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Wezlar posted:

I'm gonna write up a trip report when I get back for sure. Just want to mention that the prize wall is unacceptably bad. Worse than a GQ. Almost everything is leftover promos. The only spot gloss characters available are the unplayable droid panorama, Hondo, Kanaan and Phasma (which was the store champs top 4 prize). The binders you get for registering are complete trash compared to the leather deck boxes you got in previous years. If you want those leather deck boxes you can get them with tickets but they're leftover ones from 2016. It's absolutely ridiculous. gently caress FFG.

Aren’t they making a fuckton of money off of the shitload of games they make? I mean poo poo, my buddy and I have spent $500 on this game easy. Why cheap out on Worlds? I assume that it’s the most visible event, so why wouldn’t they put their best foot forward?

Very strange.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Wezlar posted:

That's abysmal. I'm glad I didn't go at this point, I had the option to buy a ticket but based on what I've been hearing, I would've been pretty frustrated at dumping many hundreds of dollars into travel expenses and taking time off work for that. I wish a competent company would take over this game, or at least manage the organized play aspect.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Never played but I like the idea of building a cube for this as drafting sounds like it would be a good time with friends. Anyone have experience with this? If starting from scratch, how would you build the cube?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Ok so, trip report!

Tuesday we drove down to Minneapolis from Winnipeg because my friend Mat had Imperial Assault pools on Wednesday. We got in fairly late and went to our airbnb which was pretty weird. It was like a house where 3 or 4 guys lived in dinky town and they gave us a code that just randomly let us in when no one was home. It was nice though and they were cool enough. We went to go get food and I hit the worst pothole ever and broke a strut on my car. Thankfully we managed to get it fixed the same night and also catch the Jets game.

Wednesday my friend played IA pools (made top 16) and I played pods. Pods were fun but I absolutely bombed in them. I went 1-2, 0-3, 1-2 playing Boba Seventh. I was super unprepared for worlds due to exams/our friend visiting town the week before so this was most of my practice.

Thursday was my pool. We left the airbnb to find my truck had been towed. I raced down to the impound in an uber and actually beat the tow truck there. My friend took the uber to FFG Center and they let him register my deck for me. Thankfully I made it in time for pools. I was stressed out and feeling bad about my deck. Here's where the fun begins

Game 1vs eBoba/ePhasma
Turn 2 I used Alter into 8 damage with double boba special, +1 on vibroknife and +3 on ancient saber. Turn 3 he had 2 life left and controlled the battlefield, rolled out and couldn't kill me, I rolled out lethal and he couldn't mitigate so I won
1-0
Game 2 vs eYoda eZeb
Opened with friends in low, removed pickings, saw truce so I saved my saber pull for mauls. He hit my boba for 7 round 1 but used the truce. I pulled mauls, hit Zeb for 8 round 1. He played Maz's vault and claimed. Round 2 I started with 4 resources. He rolled out but didn't roll damag.e I rolled two 2 stick sides on Boba, he had no pickings. Killed Zeb. Saber pull again for Ancient. Played it and rolled out sister. +4 and 2 stick for 6 into Yoda. Power action into rerolls for the win.
2-0
Round 3 vs eAayla Padawan Padawan
Really nice guy from Calgary. I don't really remember anything crazy specific about this match, I drew a ton of control and he didn't draw enough. I had double Ancient on Boba. I won and we played on my battlefield. I had brought Ewok Village as tech against the hero sheilds matchups. Used it to remove 5+ shields
3-0

At this point I was riding high. My luck had turned around and I only needed one more win to day 3...

Game 4 vs eYoda eHondo
Couldn't roll unmodified damage sides to save my life. I discarded a Vibroknife instead of Shoto which I think was a mistake. I followed it up by missing a Shoto trigger. I got greedy with a bait and switch trying to reroll my Mauls. Overall it was a good game but there was a point at the end of the match where I had 3 dice with a combined 5 unmodified sides and I pitched to reroll 3 times. If I had hit a single unmodified side I win the game but I didn't and I lost.

3-1

Game 5 vs eYoda Padawan Wookie Warrior
Really really good close game. I lost both bait and switches to friends in low. Eventually it came down to me running out of cards with 5 damage sitting on Wookie Warrior

3-2

Game 6 vs eThrawn eTalzin
Normally I don't really get too emotional when I play card games but at this point I was super nervous. I completely forgot everything I know about the matchup and I saber pulled as my opening action. He obviously Thrawned me for my upgrade and I was on the back foot and just crazy mad at myself. It was another game where I couldn't roll a damage side to save my life but I'm sure I was tilted and made a ton of misplays. I wished my opponent good luck but I was pretty clearly angry. I found him on Day 2 and apologized for my tilt and we laughed about it a bit. He needed a win to get into top 32 and I hope he got it!

So that's the story of how I went 3-3 and missed day 2 of worlds! On the other hand while I was there I scouted some spicy tech and we made some modifications to the deck. My friend Mat played his pools on Day 1C so we switched out Vibros for Crossguards, added in It Binds All Things instead of the yellow ramp to help with the Hondo matchup and removed Vibro Cutlass. He ended up making top 8! If you were watching the stream I was behind him on most of his feature match in the Bullet Club shirt.

Even though I was super salty on my day and swore off Destiny forever, and the prize wall was kind of awful, worlds was a ton of fun. Everyone we played with and talked to was super cool, we met and hung out with the X-Wing Junkies guys who actually play at the same store as us but on a different day and watched the Jets game at Buffalo Wild Wings with them on Friday. It was a really good experience and I would definitely recommend people go in the future.

Just practice more than I did before you do :suicide:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Never played but I like the idea of building a cube for this as drafting sounds like it would be a good time with friends. Anyone have experience with this? If starting from scratch, how would you build the cube?

I've been curious about the idea, but haven't had time to really look into it at all myself and a lot of destiny friends couldn't care less about limited formats. At any rate, here's a brief article from a while back by a dude trying to figure one out. Most of the iterations I've seen so far are just like "full playset of SW:D to date" and as someone who's cubed a ton in magic I'd like something a little more...curated and focused than that.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Glad you enjoyed your time at worlds, nice writeup. On that note, from this announcement today it looks like prize support might be improving marginally? At the very least top 4 are getting free entry to worlds instead of just the option to pay for a ticket normally and the winner actually gets travel expenses & hotel room covered, which is more than could be said before. Also that two-faced spot gloss Kylo/Rey is kinda rad.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah NA championships look sweet it's unfortunate (for me) that it's at Gencon and also during the summer. I wish things would get announced with more advance warning like how WOTC announces their gp/pt schedule

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Wezlar posted:

Yeah NA championships look sweet it's unfortunate (for me) that it's at Gencon and also during the summer. I wish things would get announced with more advance warning like how WOTC announces their gp/pt schedule

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure they did Destiny nationals at Gen Con last year too. Safe to assume it will continue to be there in the future if you want to plan for the future. And if it isn't, well, you'll have a sweet time attending Gen Con anyway, because it's loving Gen Con.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Merauder posted:

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure they did Destiny nationals at Gen Con last year too. Safe to assume it will continue to be there in the future if you want to plan for the future. And if it isn't, well, you'll have a sweet time attending Gen Con anyway, because it's loving Gen Con.

Yeah thats fair, I wasn't as big into the game laat year and the prizes and everything were much worse so it probably wasn't something I would attend before.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Appreciate the trip report, dude. Seems like it was a ton of fun, I’m gonna try to get my buddy to go to worlds with me next year.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

Wezlar posted:

Just practice more than I did before you do :suicide:

Thanks for the awesome report!

Would you be willing to post your revised list? I have a Galactic Qualifier coming up over Memorial Day and haven't played a competitive game of Destiny in 5 months. I'm trying to follow your advice to practice, but I'd love to see how your Boba/Sister list compares to what I dreamed up. I had never even thought of It Binds All Things.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Red Hood posted:

Thanks for the awesome report!

Would you be willing to post your revised list? I have a Galactic Qualifier coming up over Memorial Day and haven't played a competitive game of Destiny in 5 months. I'm trying to follow your advice to practice, but I'd love to see how your Boba/Sister list compares to what I dreamed up. I had never even thought of It Binds All Things.

Go to swdestinydb and carefully look through the upgrades/supports/events, if it’s the first time you’ve looked for a build or the fifth time, I almost always find some card that I hadn’t considered for whatever deck I’ve built. I can’t emphasize how much swdestinydb owns.

If you’re out of practice and don’t have someone to practice with, watching streams of people playing decks similar to yours helps get you in the right mindset and usually gives you new ideas on how to use your deck.

Good luck!!

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Pods at Kublacon start in about 30 minutes. Pretty stoked to get some practice in before the GQ starts tomorrow.

If any of you goons are here, let me know, I'll buy you a beer.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Kublacon is over and I had a great time. Saw tons of people and played more Destiny over that weekend then I think I had in a year. All three Galactic Qualifiers, plus I think I did 4 pods over the course of the weekend. 6-0 Friday, 0-2 in Trilogies Saturday, 4-2 Sunday with the same deck. Got a Boba spot gloss, a Yoda spot gloss, and a Ewok Village spot gloss.

Overall had a really good time.

I ran Boba Fett/7th Sister as I had mentioned earlier. Here's the decklist and a rundown of my opponents.

I guess I have to go to Worlds now?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Red Hood posted:

Kublacon is over and I had a great time. Saw tons of people and played more Destiny over that weekend then I think I had in a year. All three Galactic Qualifiers, plus I think I did 4 pods over the course of the weekend. 6-0 Friday, 0-2 in Trilogies Saturday, 4-2 Sunday with the same deck. Got a Boba spot gloss, a Yoda spot gloss, and a Ewok Village spot gloss.

Overall had a really good time.

I ran Boba Fett/7th Sister as I had mentioned earlier. Here's the decklist and a rundown of my opponents.

I guess I have to go to Worlds now?

That’s super cool man. What made you pick seventh sister over other characters?

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

tehinternet posted:

That’s super cool man. What made you pick seventh sister over other characters?

Intimidate/Frighten, and Hidden Motive honestly. I knew I'd be seeing a ton of shields, and I felt like having that shield hate was necessary. (And it was). Plus you can't turn down zero-cost removal.

Also, I'd been running Ranged decks with red in it since Awakenings (Jango/Bala/Trooper then FUNkar then 5 Die Villain), so going with Phasma didn't quite excite me as much.

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 31, 2018

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Makes sense. My buddy and I were talking yesterday about how easy shields were to deal with if you spec right and how hard they were if you didn’t. Good on you.

I’m kinda disliking how good Kylo2 is right now tbh. If you’re running monocolor you’re in big trouble.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Congrats on the 6-0 GQ I hear they're really fun but can also be a crazy grind. Hope to see you at worlds!

Sorry this is super late but here is my friends tournament report from worlds/decklist

https://www.thehyperloops.com/b7worldstop8/

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 31, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played in a while, even though I love the game. I have almost a full set (plus some extras) of the first set, and a lot of the second set. Trying to sell them in the local groups but no one's biting. Are those cards still usable?

I'm still a member of the Destiny discussion group on Facebook, and in the past two days there's been some war going on where people are shitposting and the admins are fighting and changing the title to shitposty things. Today it was changed to "FYAD: Game Dead So What".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

I haven't played in a while, even though I love the game. I have almost a full set (plus some extras) of the first set, and a lot of the second set. Trying to sell them in the local groups but no one's biting. Are those cards still usable?

I'm still a member of the Destiny discussion group on Facebook, and in the past two days there's been some war going on where people are shitposting and the admins are fighting and changing the title to shitposty things. Today it was changed to "FYAD: Game Dead So What".

There are a handful of cards from both those sets that still have some value. They rotate out of standard after this block finishes (2 sets left) and the next block starts. After that, the value could easily tank, but who the hell knows. Also, that rotation could happen anywhere from early next year to never.

That particular discussion group was basically murdered when an admin decided to step down and foolishly gave someone else admin and then immediately left. On Facebook you can't remove an admin until you've been an admin for 7 days, so all hell has broken loose. It's honestly been the most fun I've had in a Destiny group in a while.