Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I opened a Vader which is super cool and was able to slot him into the Kylo deck pretty easily by swapping out the handful of red cards with other booster bits and pieces. Not a huge fan of the fact that you have to get a hold of a second die to use the more powerful version of a character though. Upside to that at the moment is that the one die Vader goes well with the two dice Kylo points-wise.

All of the elements are different enough from something like Magic to make me totally unsure how to build decks in terms of general card type, resource cost curve, effects, etc. though. Looking forward to figuring everything out over the holidays because it seems like a cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Since storage talk is a thing; I was looking at what Magic storage stuff I already owned and figured out that Ultra Pro Satin Towers are perfect for holding single decks. It holds a sleeved 30 card deck plus heroes alongside dice comfortably, with room for a few more cards/sleeves/a divider of some kind. That's eighteen dice in there, so three stacks of six, and you could add one more layer of six as long as you're careful about opening it.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Mono-blue villains definitely does feel tough if one goal is trying to avoid all the grossly inflated money cards at the moment. You can make do without Force Choke for sure, but it's harder to flesh out if you're also avoiding stuff like Vader, Sith Holocron, Kylo's Saber, etc. You've got so few options in a single color that all those pieces feel that much more critical. I guess the question is what do you have available to make it?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I was wondering the same thing, since they took kind of the opposite approach with X-Wing; Use OT and and a lot of EU stuff and avoid the prequels entirely, whereas they seem to be all in on prequel material for Destiny. EU stuff generally is pretty stupid, but if Kyle Katarn was available I know what would become my main deck.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

With how things are at this point it's actually kind of crazy how reasonable buying sealed product is. I bought a single box with that restock on the 13th, and even with keeping the rares and legendary stuff I wanted alongside playsets of commons and uncommons, I was able to sell off the remainder and make exactly my money back. You will consistently open like double MSRP in value if not more. It's all dried up again, but if I chance across any boxes and boosters in the wild I'm absolutely going to buy all of it that I can right now.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The complete lack of information on how both physical product and stuff like formats and errata will work in the long run makes it hard to predict any calls like bans at this point. Really it's almost tempting to just cash out while prices are still loving insane; Not in any real negative sense, but rather to just be prudent and let them get their sea legs and publicly establish what the trajectory of the game is. I love X-Wing but didn't really sink my teeth into it until they had a few waves under their belt and started to figure poo poo out. Moreover, if prices and scarcity stays where it's at right now it would do a lot to kill my interest anyway. I had to pull out of Magic largely in part due to the cost, and I ain't doing $50+ slips of cardboard ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah I made the decision to cash out a couple days ago. I do agree that it's a mechanically interesting game and conceptually the idea of alternating actions that allow reactions and dynamic play is really cool, but they're fumbling around pretty badly with it all still. If the game has legs things should at least theoretically stabilize, and there will be product available in the future. If it sticks around while also keeping MtG level single prices then they can just keep it. At the moment though, having two decks of Vader and Jango, it seems crazy to hold onto this much cardboard money and not do a whole lot with it. I place a lot of value on healthy competitive scenes, so if that ain't there then it's a huge ding against any game for me. The high prices/unavailability of sealed product are just more wood for that fire. I'm comfortable washing my hands of it all for now and just waiting to see where it all ends up.