Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This game is a lot more fun than I expected, I thought it would be a real gimmick with the dice. The back and forth of actions and the ability to react to what your opponent is setting up adds a depth I didn't foresee. My only problem is finding people to play with, my local shops are saying the thing is flying off the shelves but I haven't seen anyone sitting down to play.

I opened a Vader, just wanted to make people jealous. Also I want to make an Ackbar mill deck because winning with Ackbar must be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Triple-Kan posted:

They've mentioned they plan something like 3 sets a year of equivalent size to Awakenings, but nothing about rotation yet. I wouldn't doubt rotation, though.

Cool, all I need to do now is find a playgroup. Melbourne seems to have no games running (so far).

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cheers for the info, Thursday's are normally netrunner for me but I'm tempted to come along. I'm in the cbd so it's not too hard tonget out to Fitzroy really.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I had my first proper game last night. I was playing Vader and 2x Stormtrooper vs Phasma and 2x Tuskan Raider.

Turns out Guardian with hunker down is very strong. Vader not rolling any melee damage for a long time is very frustrating, even with Power of the Darkside. I had an endless ranks that really surprised my opponent who focused down one storm trooper after the other. I played an Immobilise on turn one which was very useful throughout the entire game and used an Occupation to lock him out of advancing on turn two.

My opponent didn't have any melee weapons to give his raiders and I think that was the only thing that stopped him steam rolling me, as they had F-11D's and couldn't use the modifiers for more damage.

It came down to Vader and Phasma both having two hp left and Phasma rolling three different damage sources of which I could only disrupt two. Very close and a lot of fun.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a general turn by turn strategy? I've played and understand Magic but never got into advanced things. What should I be looking out for, when shouldn't I do this or that action?

My general rule of thumb so far has been to endeavour not to run out of actions before my opponent. Whilst I am unsure about the actual value of cards like Take Cover, they do provide you with a delay of sorts, so that you can react before your opponent does something nasty. If possible you want to be rolling and resolving your most powerful dice after your opponent has exhausted their resources and ability to disrupt them.

You can even do things like resolve one dice with a particular symbol, even if you have more than one with that symbol to make the turn last a little longer. Claiming the battlefield can be powerful, but having free reign to setup a perfect attack after your opponent has claimed can be game winning.

Just my 2cents of course.