Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

I honestly think that is FFG's strategy with this game and why they went with the CCG model. They are directly competing with MtG with the only franchise that can possibly stand against it, and the mechanics and design and inclusion of dice are all super modern and fresh in a way that excites people tired of MtG's outdated mechanics. The CCG model lets them cultivate a second hand market, limited play, and "value" in collections that LCGs lack, all things that foster a community and scene around games. I hope they crush it, Wizards of the Coast is poo poo and MtG is way past it's prime.
:agreed: I started with SWCCG as a kid and would like to return to a star wars CCG again if this becomes successful. It'll be really funny to see MTG's secondary market tank if this takes off. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm kinda hoping an #mtgfinance scene develops for this game because card barons are always fun.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShowTime posted:

There will be a singles market. It's already set up on Crystal Commerce, which is the industry leading web developer more most magic stores (they also suck dick, but thats an entirely separate issue) so every board game store/comic shop has the tools to sell singles. MiniatureMarket is already deep into it. TrollAndToad and CoolStuffInc are set to follow.

There will be a singles market, as its a CCG thats pretty popular. I've personally made quite a bit selling singles, to the tune of having a playset of most things that were paid for off the proceeds of SWD singles. It's going to start dropping as more and more people get on board, but thats only good for the players.

Definitely. I have traded and sold magic cards as a hobby to pay for other hobbies and expenses for some time. But #mtgfinance is really special. These are all people believing themselves to be stock market tycoons but barely grasp the fundamentals of economics. There's a reddit and YT videos and everything.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I haven't used FFG art sleeves yet but if you do, you should probably get oversleeves for them because the art tends to rub off.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bring back locations from SWCCG. Having just one shared battlefield is the most boring part of MTG. But of course people will just say it's "magic with planechase :rolleyes:"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

:psyduck: really not understanding that decision with regards to this as a competitive game. Just do Bo3/1 hour.

Bottom Liner posted:

:psyduck: really not understanding that decision with regards to this as a competitive game. Just do Bo3/1 hour.

The reason why MTG does this is because of sideboards. SWCCG only ever had BO1 and it was fine.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So what are the chances we get this guy in this game? I liked that SWCCG, despite its deep mining of EU sources, chose to make him a generic miner.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's the best place to look at prices for this game? I'm going to trade some magic cards for these cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShowTime posted:

Ebay is the most accurate. Otherwise use a combination of CoolStuffInc and MiniatureMarket. They also have buy prices which help. But i'd just use Ebay.

Thanks. Guy ended up just wanting $80 of magic cards for a box+starters worth and I saw Han and Veers and Kylo's lightsaber and black one so I guess at least I get the $80 worth.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShowTime posted:

If it's a full box the $80 in MTG cards is a fantastic deal. A full box would mean there should be 3 more legendarys there, since each box has 6. Even knowing those few cards, $80 is still a decent deal. Kylo's saber is $20, Han is $35, a starter is $15 and black one is $10. So as long as there are some other rares there you are getting a decent deal.

Sweet. Got my husbando Poe and crime lord too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I understand them not wanting to send replacement dice because of people abusing it to get free epic characters. They've never asked for the parts in return which is why it is how it is but I think this now would be the time to do so.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

canyoneer posted:

The blog entries are sometimes good though. Except for X-Wing Theorist, that guy's the worst.
I haven't seen him play in events for a while so I wonder how he is even still in the game. Does he just do Vassal games now?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah sorry for bringing it up but I know him and just wondered how in touch he can be with the game now. I always assumed he was insufferable online since he brought up that he was the Theorist when I first met him in a tournament 2 years ago. I politely told him I didn't even know what team covenant was and that the pro tips and tricks I've learned was from playing some of the world's best on the regular. Does he do Destiny coverage now too?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I double upgraded Rey (Han partner) with DL44s the other day and it's pretty funny to see nested actions one-shot a Balatik and hope to do it often regularly. Is it possible to kill a Jango before he uses his activated dice with some combo of weapons in this manner? I can only think of having activated Han with some ranged damage showing already.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

guts and bolts posted:

1) Rey begins the turn with either a Holdout Blaster or a DL-44 equipped. You have either a DL-44 or a Holdout Blaster in your hand, as well as Scavenge. Infamous is in play. Han should have a Jetpack, probably, and probably a DL-44 or a Blaster of his own, but that's kinda just gravy.
2) Play your Ambush weapon on top of the existing Ambush weapon. You can now go twice consecutively, and Han gets a shield.
3) Tap Infamous to give Scavenge Ambush. Han gets a shield. Scavenge pays for its own action cost. Pick up the Ambush weapon you just overwrote. You still have two consecutive actions at this point.
4) Use one of your actions to play the originally discarded Ambush weapon on top of the one you discarded it with. Han gets a shield. You now can go three times consecutively.
5) Roll out Rey. He can roll out Jango or not.
6) Roll out Han. He can roll out Jango or not, if he did not already.
7) Resolve before he can.

EDIT1: It gets really good when you consider that all your increased action economy means you will have huge windows to grab the battlefield, and you should be running Starship Graveyard or Hyperspace Jump to get to it. You can keep Han alive with Second Chances or keep Rey's combo going almost indefinitely with that battlefield in play. It's gross.

Also, the combo costs, at most, 1 credit to execute once whatever pieces you want are set up. You can very easily execute a 100-0 kill on almost anyone in the game by round 2 with this combo, provided you roll decently and you got resources in round 1.
:getin:
I like these convoluted combos a lot more in this game because they don't take as long or as finicky to build like it does with magic. These combos usually only exist in EDH and that format has turns that take too long because it's multiplayer, in addition to mana requirements and finding it in a deck of 100 in the first place. Even in eternal formats, combos are 2-3 pieces only because of deck size and random mulligans. It's nice that destiny has a newer, fresher stance on resource mechanics that borrow from hearthstone/etc with greater chances to get enough resources/dice control in round 1 via discarding and focus actions.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wow, now I'm curious if the Nationals registration numbers for the Nova Open will fall. :v: Doesn't help that it's on a Thursday anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Me, whispering at the LGS: "hey, gimme one of those vibroknucklers"
*slip the guy a 50*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I got the shuttle, force lightning, and blackmail in my prerelease packs. I hope blackmail is good. it's an expensive upgrade but I want control to work. My usual deck is an unoptimized eBala, Phasma, and FO trooper so I already have my aggro needs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

People continue to play MTG even though it's a resource-based game that has hugely variable resources. You just need to convince the playerbase that there's enough skill in there to get through the variance. Or do it the X-wing way and make hyper-accurate attacks in the future.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:lol: Someone got really butthurt that Aaron doesn't post lists from the Stele Open. It was specifically Destiny, but you can look at list juggler online and X-wing is also absent. There's a huge rant and it's ongoing on fb right now but the relevant bit is below:

quote:

Decklists are expected to be provided after a national or regional event. That is standard practice, and you were advertising that this was the largest Destiny Tournament to date. The community is much more important than the wishes of a few players that are concerned their single pieces of "tech" in their lists will ruin their chances are worlds if they are exposed.

:lol: I guess it's just like MTG where people care way too much about what top __ played just so they know what the ~metagame~ is. I've seen people who cared about that for x-wing too but I wouldn't know since I don't really follow x-wing online.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm glad they were very conservative with their estimates. Last thing anyone needs is product sitting in shelves for months with no interest. I remember getting hyped for so many games and just seeing them flip over and over again. There's too many to list and even when then prequels were coming out, decipher tried releasing the young Jedi and CGI-based game which also flopped.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just pointed out two games another company released at the height of prequel fever before people started hating them. :psyduck:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Merauder posted:

It's also worth noting that because of the "waves" they're releasing sets in, that the second wave is likely to be quite a bit larger than the first (release) wave for SoR, because it's pretty clear how badly they wanted to force the marketing to make the set available on "May the 4th", regardless of supply.

I save up some money for every may 4th so yeah it's good they do that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ville Valo posted:

Good luck getting to use PayPal for anything but friends-and-family transfers though. Somehow the online card trading/selling community has convinced everyone that buyer protections are unreasonable and will not accept the fees as a seller.

OTOH, buyers also want "market price" at ebay less the %ebay and paypal fees and think it's unreasonable to split the difference at least.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

"I'm surprised taking extra turns in a card game is so popular and strong"
:psyduck:

for that to come from the lead designer of a flagship game in 2017 is embarasssing.

Designers still make the same mistakes over and over again even in newer games so I'm just glad they didn't fall into the trap of making yet another professor oak/elm/ancestral recall/gary as well. The time walk pitfall is a pretty big one but kong's got it right in that there's some sort of sweet spot between too few and too many considering how control (decks) and tempo in this game are different from their versions in MTG.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Meanwhile, the stores in my area are filled with the product and everyone's already had their fill. A store or two even lifted the maximum purchase/customer to 12 and they still have a couple boxes left. Everyone's waiting for the awakenings reprint instead and I guess there's been enough of a drop in regular players that demand just isn't that high anymore. Prerelease had huge numbers, maybe ~20+ per store, but the few weekly events have dropped to ~6-8 regulars.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShowTime posted:

A lot of why some stores have little and some stores have tons is because FFG/Asmodee didn't base order numbers off of previous Destiny orders, but orders of their entire line. So stores that order tons of other FFG/Asmodee product had huge allocations if they wanted them, and why wouldn't they considering how popular the game was? But they don't have a local community that is consuming all that product so it just has to sit there. And only a few retailers can sell online, so those stores have no other way of getting that product out there.

Kind of a mistake but they probably didn't have many other figures to base allocations on considering there is only one other set.

Makes sense. There's a strong overlap between the destiny and x-wing crowds and product allocation/satisfaction here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bowmore posted:

mostly because crime lording palps is hilarious

My friends been doing Jabba/Vader and crime lord palp is in fact hilarious. We've been calling the deck the fat and the furious.