Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Glad it's only three cards, but it's still annoying.
Personally, I think putting 7 of the 43 rares in the starter packs is more annoying. Does a card really count as rare if everyone and their dog has a playset from buying the starter packs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
I missed the preview event, and got tired of waiting for my coolstuff order to get here, so I swung by my LGS during lunch to see if I could grab a few boosters. They were completely sold out, but the store down the road had received their shipment late and just put it on the shelf. I bought 5 packs, figuring that I probably wouldn't get any legendaries, but I didn't really care that much.

First pack was Commanding Presence. Second was Luke's lightsaber. At which point I pulled out my phone to google the rarity colors to make sure I hadn't mixed them up (I hadn't). Then my third pull was Jabba. I haven't even played a game yet and I'm hooked. And I'm pretty sure I've used up all my luck for the rest of the year today - I'll probably open 10 BB-8's when my booster box finally gets here.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

Yea, that is insanely lucky. Make sure you only ever buy full boxes after today. I don't imagine you'll ever pull another legendary from loose packs with that kind of luck. Did you fish around or were they 5 that were handed to you/at the front of the box?
Just the first 5 at the front of the box. It looked like a few had been bought, but the box was still mostly full. Strangely, my first thought was how much that box is going to suck for anyone else who buys boosters from it.

And it's been way too long since I was in school, but if I did the math right that was a 1 in 224 chance :psyduck:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Merauder posted:

Yeah, I've been around TCGs enough to know not to overvalue them, and expect most commons will in fact just be bulked out at some point and a non-issue to attain. It just surprised me that even with the small sample size (actually doubled, as I have a friend who also bought 10 boosters and got only 1 other BG card) that they seem to be seeded very rarely into the packs.
There's only 10 battlefields in the set, and 2 are starter only. They're not seeded any more rarely than any other cards, there's just not enough of them to be commonly pulled. They're not like lands in magic, you only need one per deck.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

Looks like stores won't be receiving additional booster packs until Dec 22nd. Starters will start shipping next week. Hopefully you got everything you needed while you could!
I stopped by the store which again today, and not only did they still have a few boosters, they had a sealed booster box. Which took awhile to buy because it wasn't in their system and wasn't giving a box discount, and one of the employees was pretty sure that they weren't supposed to be selling the whole box because their distributors didn't have any more. But there was no one higher up to check with, so they sold it to me for $90.

I do not feel guilty at all.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

So i'm trying to understand this more. You play a Holdout Blaster, then use the extra action to play another Holdout Blaster, then use that extra action to play a Infamous/Scavenge, putting Holdout Blaster back in your hand. Then you use that extra action to play the Holdout Blaster again, i'm assuming using the 2nd Holdout Blaster to pay for the first one. But you still only have 1 Holdout Blaster on the character and one extra action, right? I'm just trying to figure out what you are trying to do. After you activate Rey or Han using that extra action, your opponent gets to act, don't they? I'm just not seeing where the consecutive actions are coming from, because you are using all those actions to play the other cards and then the last one to activate a character.
I think I get this. The blaster has ambush (get another action after playing), and Rey's ability is "After you play an upgrade on this character, you may take one additional action.", which is like ambush but isn't, so it can stack with ambush.

So, you start with a blaster on Rey, and Infamous (Before you play a Yellow card, you may exhaust this support to give it the Ambush keyword. ) in play. Play the blaster to replace the blaster on Rey (cost 0 because you're replacing it), giving you 1 extra action from ambush and a 2nd action from Rey's ability. You now have 2 actions, a blaster on Rey, and a blaster in the discard pile.

Use 1 action to play Scavenge, exhausting Infamous to give it ambush. Use Scavenge to take the discarded blaster in hand. You still have 2 more actions to take (Rey's ability, and the ambush from Scavenge).

Use an action to replace the blaster on Rey with the blaster in hand (cost 0 because you're replacing it), triggering Rey's ability again for another action, and getting an action from ambush on the blaster. You now have 3 actions left.

You can use 2 of the actions to roll Han and Rey's dice, and then your third action to resolve dice. All without your opponent getting a chance to do anything.

The biggest problem will keeping track of things without it turning into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ROhf5Soqs&t=20s

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Caedar posted:

Pulled a Han Solo and a Black One in my first twelve packs. Did I just get really lucky, or are many legendaries just overvalued right now? Is there any reason not to just sell these for ~$70 total and buy twenty-some more boosters?
Everything's overvalued because the supply is low. With current online prices, you can double your money selling just the rares/legendaries from a box. That's not a stable situation, and will end as soon as people can get enough boxes to open (which might not be until January).

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

This doesn't mean what you think it means. It's saying "we got burned on the last set, so this time we're not paying with fire". It says literally and absolutely nothing about SoR's availability or lack thereof.
Especially with all the poo poo Miniature Market is taking because they had to cancel a bunch of preorders, I can't really blame any retailers who refuse to take preorders for the next set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

Kinda leads into the rumor that Awakenings is being phased out :(
The plan has always been 2 starters and a main set each year, with two other sets each year. So around November they should come out with two new starters and a new set which will stay in print all year like Awakenings.