Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Strobe posted:

How'd eJyn/Ackbar play? That's the deck I'm making. Worried I don't have enough discard effects, but I love the idea of it.

It was good. It felt a little split in what it's trying to do is all. Kicking off with an Overkill on Jyn is terrifying, and can straight down a character with the right rolls. On the other hand, it has a decent amount of discard available to it, and he rarely had any issue running me out of cards and getting Ackbar's passive damage to trigger, especially in this particular matchup where I was burning through cards aggressively though. But doing a little of both damage and discarding left me with enough time to keep slamming him with Rocket Launchers and Batons. One of our six games did go to my deck being depleted, and being unable to finish off Ackbar due to Lone Operative and C-3PO, always ensuring he was healing 3 per turn, plus things like Field Medics.

Overall I just think more aggressive decks will generally outpace those characters. I'd be curious to see how it does against other more rounded, slower decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

guts and bolts posted:

Rebel War Room don't strike your fancy?

Certainly an option. I'd have to try it and see how I like it compared to Moisture Farm. With the Outmaneuvers it might be just right to keep tempo up without much resource loss. I did play War Room with Leia/Ackbar for a while and really liked it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

ShowTime posted:

Has anyone found any stores purchasing SW Destiny stuff yet? I have a ton of bulk and trading/Ebay isn't working out too well. Games been out for almost two weeks and still the only place buying is MiniatureMarket, which is offering horrible prices backed by a bad company. CoolStuffInc used to be my go to, but the only card they are purchasing is Force Speed. I have a feeling most stores are just waiting to see how things settle, as I know CoolStuffInc was offering amazing prices for Awakenings stuff right after release and may have gotten burned. Awakenings was an entirely different release, but I imagine they are still playing it safe.

I know you posted about some possible trades last week, and I was out of town. I'll shoot you a message and see if there's still anything we can work out. My buddy filled out most of our SoR playset while I was gone, but we have a lot of extra Awakenings rares still.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, I would agree. If you're paring 2199 with blue, I think it would mostly be for any specific Events or Support, since without going weapon heavy I'd wager you could do better than 2199 anyway. Generic Lightsabers wouldn't be terrible with him though.

e: Or the new Lightsaber Pike, which is especially potent with him since if you roll it out for free and aren't able to resolve it, you can use its Action for a shield, then re-roll it when you activate 2199. Seems fine.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Everyone is hot for ePalpatine. What have people explored for Palpatine/Other? I'm pretty interested in seeing what Palpatine/TIE Pilot plays like, and am going to give it a go for some casual games tonight and a tournament tomorrow. Several decks on SWDestinyDB.com think the only reason to run this pairing is to be able to use Cargo Hold to cheat Training over to Palpatine, which is cute and all, but I think there's an actual deck there built around controlling opponent's dice and winning the game by more incremental damage from Palpatine, and the occasional big hitting turns from the character dice + Lure of Powers, Force Pushes, and No Mercy. Anyone experienced this from either side yet?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Played in a tournament tonight to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Star Wars. Ended up with 10 people. Here's the list I ran:

My gut was that one of the better counters to Poe/Maz is have as much HP as possible, and your own high damage output to try to come through alive after a few potential big Poe turns. Seems simple enough, right? :v: So I decided on the 30hp all-in troopers. It went okay.

Round 1 - eLuke/Acolyte - Win
The guy was super rushed to get situated and as soon as he opened his deck box he said he had the wrong deck. Heh, whoops. Meant to be playing Luke/Ackbar apparently, was testing with Acolyte and forgot to change it back before the event. Went pretty smooth, took down Luke in a few turns and he never got any of my 3 down.

Round 2 - Unkar/2199/FOST - Win
This match was WAY too close. I took down Unkar pretty quick, and he took a little while to get down one of my troops after that, but then I stalled a bit and he was able to get the 2nd down. Then he stalled a bit and I was finally able to get 2199 removed. I had my last troop left with 2hp left, and two Holdout Blasters and a Training, and he had an undamaged 7hp Stormtrooper with a Riot Baton. I was down to my last 4 cards in the deck going into the final round, with him controlling the battlefield. He rolled poorly to start, I rolled out with a 2R, +2R, and two non-damage sides. I played some removal on his dice so he couldn't hit me, and it was at this point the round was at time, so we had to finish that round and then whoever had dealt more damage overall wins as a tie breaker (which he had, at 28 to my 21, so either I killed him, or lost to tie breaker). I don't remember the exact other cards I played or discarded, but eventually he Claimed while I had my very last card left in my hand, so I pitch it to re-roll my non-damage, and get exactly enough to one-shot his Stormtrooper before I would have lost to deck-out. Crazy close game, really enjoyable.

Round 3 - Vader/Raider - Loss
I made a bad early decision, when even after seeing a Holocron come out on the Tusken turn 1, I honed in on Vader as he's bigger and scarier, theoretically. The idea being, if I can get Vader down, my late game damage can potentially blow out a Tusken in a single turn, right? Turn 1 Holocron Special into a Mind Probe was the first sign that I needed to shift gears despite already putting some damage on Vader, but I didn't. He proceeded to do a ton of damage by relying on Boundless Ambition to restock his hand twice in a single turn (draw 5 both times) to reroll for maximum Vader damage + Mind Probe damage, and my troops dropped left and right. I think it ended with Vader at like 8 damage total? Wasn't great. This guy went on to win the event 4-0.

Round 4 - Poe/Maz - Loss
This was actually my first time seeing Poe/Maz in action first hand and not just reading about it. The player is not a regular at all though, and in fact is really just a friend of my Round 3 opponent who comes along for some special events to help aforementioned friend win extra prizes and changes at door prizes and stuff (tonight being the full art Mon Mothma promo). So he's a bit rusty, though Poe/Maz is pretty autopilot so he had some pretty crap luck to be at 1-2 going into the last round. I took down Maz early enough (turn 3, missed killing before her 3rd activation by 1hp when I played Tactical Mastery to activate two troops with upgrades via Wingman + immediate resolution), and also had won the roll off so we didn't have Throne Room shenanigans happening, but once he hit his New Orders and had a Planetary Uprising on the board, his rounds were "roll Poe, then Claim for some free damage from hand, +2 from PU". I had him at 9 of 12 when he finished my last troop off. Much closer than I expected!

Overall the deck played well and I enjoyed it. I never once came anywhere near enough to justify having the Endless Ranks in there; it's a cute theory to suddenly gain 10 more HP, but even over half the deck costing 0, you're usually spending your 2 for the turn right away for either a Training or a gun of some kind, or holding it for the few 1 cost events which you'll certainly be playing that round. A couple times I ended a round with 1 left over, but was quick to spend it all the next turn, so 5 is just too far out of reach. I also never did play the 1 Rocket Launcher, though it might hold a slot as a replacement Upgrade over one of the other guns at only the 1 cost difference. Just never really presented its self in tonight's games. I think it ALMOST has a chance to stand up to Poe/Maz, but you HAVE to be able to get rid of Maz quickly I feel (I think it's more important than Poe to generally slow the deck down without Maz's free resolves, but idk, maybe that's not right still), and I'd really like to get a way to easily remove the Uprisings. Without that I think I'd have saved 6 or 8 damage AFTER Maz was dead, which is almost an entire other character, and I probably could have won that match.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Helion posted:

May I ask how Doubt worked for you? I was going to play it in my ePalpatine deck.

The times I played it I almost always appreciated it. There's some dice you are really happy to use it on, and others less so, but in general it was nice to be able to hit a damage die with it and get it of the table before being modified, not unlike using Guardian on it, except there was a chance they could just get a resource or something. There was once when I turned a 1R into 2R, but whatever. It certainly wasn't essential, but I'm pretty sure I had use for it almost every time I drew them, the only times I second guessed was in the Vader/Raider match, since I didn't want to risk giving him free specials from his various blue abilities. At the same time, he had Mikashi Training out which would have been a great target for it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Helion posted:

Can we talk anti Poe/Maz tech?

First: Anything that removes a character die without needing to have a die on the table itself. Electroshock, Isolation, Doubt, Confidence... I am also considering Overconfidence to reroll both Poe dice and discard the one that hits a special side. One nice thing is that these are basically all useful cards in their own right. All this stuff is less useful when and if fast hands hits the table, but even then one die is left behind.

Second: Cards that absorb significant damage cheaply. I especially like Force Illusion here, but armor plating might be good too. I don't like second chance or rise again because their prohibitive cost neuters your offensive capability.

Agreed on pretty much everything here. I also think that Planetary Uprising is a legitimate threat that people also need to be concerned with, and running something like Sabotage can help buy you some time. I don't love that specific card, but there aren't many good anti-Support cards yet, so it's one of the better (only?) options.

Helion posted:

Are shields worthwhile? What about choice of battlefield? What decks have you all seen success with?

I think shields are theoretically fine against Poe/Maz specifically, but other top decks right now are running Vibroknife that will render any shield shenanigans moot, so I'm avoiding shield-based cards for the most part. For battlefields, I'm liking the idea of running a control heavy deck with Snap, and using Carbon Freezing Chamber. Disrupt heavy to keep them from being able to claim, and use CFC to lock down one of their Poe dice each round to minimize their special triggers. I'm not sure if this concept has legs enough to survive long enough to actually kill things, though.

My previously shared 3x Death Trooper deck almost got there in it's match against it the other day, just due to sheer HP advantage (20hp vs 30hp). It can be fast enough to keep up with them and Claim before them if you get early Wingmans out, or at least things like Squad Tactics or Tactical Mastery to accelerate your activations. Admittedly have only played the match up once though, so this is incredibly anecdotal. Over a longer sample size it might just be a bad matchup and I was on the luckier end of still losing. Who knows.

Helion posted:

Also: Poe or Maz first?

I think this depends on what kind of deck you're running. If you're trying to out-aggro them, I think you need to bring Poe down first to really stunt their damage. If you're playing a slower deck Maz can be the right choice because without her Poe slows down significantly and buys you more time to control things. With my 3x DT deck I think I did this wrong by killing Maz first because I was almost able to one-shot her, but once the opponent flopped his New Orders (something I think more decks are going to need to slot in 1-ofs as a safety net) he was able to keep his two Poe dice hitting me pretty hard every turn and I lost the race.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Anyone tried Jabba/Unkar control against Poe/Maz? Any luck there, or is it just a bad matchup?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Had a store champs today as well. 14 players. I apparently tested long enough to become the villain, as I settled on just playing Poe/Maz instead of something cute. I was one of three P/M players, and the worst of the bunch. Ended with a sad 2-2, that should have EASILY been a 3-1 at least, if not for the worst dice luck ever.

Game 1 - mirror match vs Poe/Maz - Loss
He wins the roll, opts to go first, opens with Hit and Run into double-special with Poe. Rolls Maz, then resolves both specials with a Detonator and U-Wing for 5 to both characters on round 1 turn 1. Gross. I proceeded to roll average, and he outraced me. Eh, fine. Tie breakers will be good when he goes on, not worried.

Game 2 - Jango/2199 (I'm enjoying calling this deck Cash & Guns) - Win
Fairly unremarkable game. I killed Jango first which let them get my Poe down, and I ended up in a position where I actually played a U-Wing to the table which kept me going.

Game 3 - Apprentice Vader/Kylo - Win
Had a rough first round, but some smart plays in discarding upgrades for rerolls to ensure Kylo specials would hit 0 kept me in it and I proceeded to run nuts on Poe, and with a Rocket Launcher on Maz was able to have a hugely explosive turn on round 3 to seal it.

Game 4 - Vader/Raider - Loss
Sigh.
This went so badly. I try not to get too bent out of shape over it because this game has inherently more variance than other TCGs because of the dice, so sometimes you just lose to randomness. But goddamnit.
I mulligan into Detonator/Detonator/U-Wing/Falcon/Uprising. Feeling pretty good that I'm going to just blow this game out in a few rounds. Then, lose the roll off, end up playing without Throne Room. Eh, sucks, but with that hand, not huge, just need to hit at least one Special a turn. NBD right?
Three rounds later, including one discard>reroll action, I've rolled zero Poe specials, and every Maz roll was Blank + Shield or Resource; zero Focus. I've been stacking resources at this point, so I find myself playing U-Wing to the table for the second time today, partially because Poe is at 9/12 and not likely to survive another round. Sure enough round 4 Poe dies before he can resolve anything, and I'm left trying to do damage with Maz + U. Got 2 UWing specials off, and Maz ends at 7/8 going into round 6; both opponents characters were still alive and well. I have the choice of Dug In, or Field Medic. Figure saving 3 damage is better than healing 2, right? Oh what's that, I forgot to mention the Backup Muscle sitting there? Maybe that's because I forgot it was there too. GG. Probably didn't matter, but was just clear at that point that I was tilting over the bad rolls and not paying attention. Just a really frustrating end to a match up that should have been pretty favorable to me. But hey, dice. It happens.

Final table was ePalp vs Jango/2199 (not the person I played round 2). Palp won the game, but conceded some prizes to the Jango player. Other players in the top 4 included a unique eHan/eSnap deck in 3rd and a Poe/Maz in 4th (also not the guy I played).

Other notables was an Aurra Sing deck, other Vader/Kylo decks, other Jango/2199s.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

CJ posted:

I just found out about this game through Tabletop Simulator. What's a good netdeck to practice with?

Apprentice Darth Vader / Kylo Ren is a great, strong deck that isn't utter poison to play with/against (see: Poe/Maz).

Another great high performing deck is Unkar Plutt / FN-2199 / Stormtrooper. Much more dynamic deck than the former (which is mostly just aggro hitting stuff).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, my FLGS just got a bunch more awakenings this week too. They must have close to 20 boxes and are still rationing packs daily. Demand seems to have died off for the set locally, and the store isn't doing much to try to bring in new players aside from hosting a poorly advertised weekly event. Wish they could offload some to people who actually need them.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, Palpatine really skews both of those variants. 40 points I'd run Elite Palp and a TIE Pilot which I think would be gross, and similarly with no point restriction 3-color he's a 15hp bear who still does sick damage.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'd argue less so than any other TCG, as the high-variance of the dice in Destiny can, no matter how strong the deck or sound the strategy, completely gently caress things up and bend over to solid "lower tier" decks.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Heading to a store championship today myself. Bringing Luke/Rey because it's what I have together and have been playing at our casual weekly tournaments for the last couple months, so it's familiar and comfortable. Not expecting huge results, but whatever. It's a fun deck when it gets its Force Speed comboing going, and I made a couple slight changes to my list last night. Was being janky with Premonitions which is awesome when it works, and feels bad when you never draw the 2nd, so I put in some Parrys for cheap removal, expecting Sith Vader decks and Apprentice Vader/Kylo decks to show up. Also switched my battlefield from Starship Graveyard to Frozen Wastes; I'm almost always claiming first with this deck, so further removal feels right, and while recurring Vibroknives forever is awesome in theory, I rarely end up in a position of doing it more than once per game, if at all.

Here's hoping! :jerry:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Merauder posted:

Here's hoping! :jerry:

Luke/Rey Trip report: Complete failure. Have accepted that the deck, while having the potential to deal explosive unmitigated damage, is far too dependent on good dice rolls, without which you simply flounder. If you aren't getting at least one (or ideally more) full turns with Luke still alive vs having already removed one of your opponent's characters, you're probably losing. Once Luke falls, you'd better hope Rey is STACKED with stuff other than just cute Force Speeds because single-die Rey just isn't great. Even then, it's going to be tough.

Game 1 - eJango/e2199
Was a newish player who I know well. She doesn't play often, but has pretty much just stuck with the one deck when she does play, so it was clear she's improved since I last played with her. I had a great start, opening with Swiftness>Force Speed, then a Vibroknife on turn 2, then another Swiftness>Force Speed on turn 3. All that Speed is useless though when you never hit the 50% chance Specials on the dice to combo off a bunch of action cheating. In my first couple turns she hit me with both of her He Doesn't Like Yous, removing 3-damage Luke dice and leaving me with nothing to do because of having just modified sides on Rey/Vibroknife. I did take down 2199 just barely before she killed Luke, but he died the next turn before I could get his dice activated due to Jango + Fast Hands. The end of the match came down to time (she's still a bit of a slower player), and with PERFECT rolls on my Rey and upgrades I could have taken her Jango to 1 remaining health, so she won on total damage dealt.
Loss.

Game 2 - Phasma/FOST/Guavian
This is the first time I'd played against one of these. I thought for sure that the Guardian business wouldn't be an issue, because if I'm putting enough damage out with Luke and Knives then sure, I'm slow-burning through the generic dudes, but they'll fall quickly and Phasma alone isn't particularly scary, so whatever, right? Still have to get that damage through. Turn 1 saw Force Speed>Vibroknife in my opening hand, again seeing no Special on the Speed. My turn 1 roll-out consisted of Blank Luke/Shield Luke/Shield Speed/Resource Rey/Discard Vibro. Cool. I got hit once again by two He Doesn't Like Yous whenever I got big damage out, and then the Guardian business kept him with a lot of dice to roll long enough to remove Luke. Continued its downward spiral from there. At this point I think I had resolved Force Speed Special once or twice across both games played, and never to any good effect (namely getting damage through before removal).
Loss.

Game 3 - eVader/eKylo
Had teched in extra removal (Parry) for this match up, won the opening roll and selected my Frozen Wastes for added Vader Special removal, AND opened once again with Speed>Knife, so was feeling pretty good. Fast forward to, once again, no damage rolled consistently, no Force Speed Specials, and a 6 damage No Mercy finishing Luke on turn 3, and you can guess where this is going. I almost had a huge My Ally Is the Force play which would have killed Vader on that turn 3 before Luke fell, but the 3 damage die got controlled, so that was out. Instead, planning ahead a bit, I was able to use the Luke's Lightsaber I played on Luke turn 2 (due to some extra resources I ended up with thanks to the lack of damage rolls), which still did a bit of work against Vader but was promptly replaced with a One With the Force, knowing he was going down very soon. That paid off, so with Rey + OWTF I thought I might still be in this, and finally finished Vader quick enough (albeit late). Still wasn't enough, and I was done.
Loss

Game 4 - Kylo/FOST/FOST
This was a new player, who had played a total of 1 game before the tournament, and was playing with the Kylo starter + 7 packs of random stuff he jammed in, like the second Stormtrooper. Nothing really to say here, but that I finally got a win.
Win.

1-3. Boo. Time to finally put some effort into building and playing something different. ...after I get back from Gen Con.

e: The event was won by an Unkar/FN/??? deck. I obviously never played any of the top tables so I'm not sure what the third character was. Second place was a Jango/2199 deck. There was zero Poe/Maz present (though it was only 10 players, 8 of which were all regulars at our weekly events, so I just think local meta-think shaped that a bit).

Merauder fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 13, 2017

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Welp, the top-secret 9/1 Star Wars release from FFG has been officially confirmed as a 2p Destiny box.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/31/star-wars-destiny-two-player-game/

Hopefully it helps with the hurdle of people actually getting into the game, but a regular supply of boosters is still so important. Hopefully the EAW release in a couple weeks proves plentiful.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

pbpancho posted:

No, there's currently no plans to make those a product.

Source: I'm the guy that hired you at GenCon. :)

Two player mats for Thrones (and another one, was it Netrunner?) got made last year. Did they not sell well?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
For anyone that hasn't played in a while, I agree that EAW is a great time to try it again. Lots of decks feel viable (though you'll see the same few rising to the top of tournament lists, as with most games), at least for local level play. The character and deck options are starting to become wide enough that there isn't just one way to build a deck with a specific character, which is a lot of fun. I've no joke made something like 15 different deck lists since EAW dropped, all of which feel like they could do well in the right micro-metagame. Mono decks are the only ones that feel like they especially suffer due to 2playerKylo, but even still, most two-color decks feel pretty heavily weighted towards one color or another anyway, so I don't think it's a huge differentiation.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Also limited using Upgrade replacement to once per player per round, which is arguably a bigger blow to FN than the point cost increase.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

bonds0097 posted:

Well, as long as they're releasing 3-4 sets a year, things will be kept fresh. I don't personally have any desire to see metas 'settle', I'm all for things that ensure you face different stuff all the time.

So I have a bunch of thoughts on this.

The issue is that even with 3-4 sets a year, each new meta largely becomes solved (meaning the best couple decks are widely identified and accepted) within the first month or so of competitive play, whether that's local tournaments, big tournaments, or just dudes jamming out games on TTS. It's not a thing unique to Destiny, that's just TCGs in general (though in other games there's usually a period of meta-response which Destiny has lacked in its first year, but that can certainly be attributed to the limited card pool). That leaves 2-3 months between each release of a naturally "settled" meta. Extrapolated across a year of releases and you're still playing in a "settled" meta a lot more often than not.

You then take that truth and apply a community of whiny players who want their personal experience to improve with a sense of immediacy (see: average TCG players), and who complain about whatever the top decks/cards are during those 2-3 month periods, except it doesn't even have to be obviously oppressive/broken stuff like FN, Vibroknife, etc. has been. It could just be them complaining about cards that are beating their chosen strategies consistently. If then, based on the precedent being set by FFG (remember this is not the first time they've errata'd cards; there have been several prior to this new announcement as well), they feel they need to answer to that vocal player base and go in and start tweaking already existing cards every few months, it's going to lead to a lovely competitive environment, mainly for new/casual players. They'll buy two copies of the 2-Player Starter and then learn their Kylo/Phasma deck isn't legal at 4 dice, or they'll open a pack with whatever sweet future legendary character they've always wanted, and then find out that it doesn't work like it says. Entry into the competitive environment will become increasingly more cumbersome and can stunt the natural growth of the game. As a player with a lot of TCG history I completely believe that being properly educated is the responsibility of the players themselves, but new players don't even know that's their responsibility until they sit down for the first time against an opponent who informs them their cards don't do what they say. Think that player's experience won't color their desire to explore the game deeper? It absolutely will.

None of that touches on the impacts major erratas like this can have on the secondary market. I don't personally believe a publisher should (or even can) allow themselves to be concerned with the price of singles over the health of their game, but never the less is a reality. Somebody drops $40 on a Thrawn to finish their Unkar/Thrawn Buy Out deck: Sorry dude, not even playable now. It feels bad to be on the receiving end of that, and if the possibility of strong cards changing all the time simply because they're strong exists, it discourages players from investing too deep and the whole ecosystem changes.

The whole thing is also generally a red flag on the back end in terms of their design team/process. I'm willing to give them a pass in this first year of a new game; figuring out what works and doesn't outside your own four walls can be difficult in a design setting like this. Hopefully now with some experience and data for how the game has trended they'll be able to identify more issues ahead of time and design a more stable game from the outset. There simply shouldn't be need for this level of retooling every few months if the design and development processes are dialed in. Single cards every once in a long while sure. A half a dozen of them a few times a year, not so much.

All said: I think 100% of the changes they made were good, and for the most part necessary. I just don't like that they had to be done in the first place, and the precedent now set.

tl;dr: 3-4 months between sets is still a long time where cards will become the "strongest" for a period, and knee-jerk reacting to those cards all the time has a bunch of negative side effects.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

bonds0097 posted:

Have you considered just building cool decks from the cards you have instead of spending money on singles to build the most OP decks available?

Being snarky with someone because they chose to play a specific deck doesn't absolve the bad feelings the process brings about. Maybe they're limited on the budget they can spend on the game and don't want to buy tons of sealed product in hopes of finding stuff that they can build a playable deck from? Maybe they simply don't have the desire to collect a ton of extra cards and are happier with their one or two decks to play consistently? Maybe they're simply spikey players who derive their enjoyment from winning, so they want to play strong decks? Literally none of those possibilities, or any other reasons people may have make pulling the rug out from under players like that a good experience.

Again, I do think that the health of the game ultimately outweighs these kind of impacts, but never the less it's completely justifiable to be upset about it if you're in that position, and will cost them players.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I've noticed that for whatever the reason, maybe it's just the reach of the brand, that this seems to be a lot of people's first foray into TCGs. As a result they don't seem to have perspective on why certain things happen the way they do, which keep being perceived as negatives. First I keep seen people both locally and online complain that "new products are releasing too quickly, I can't keep up, they should slow down/do less", which would be disastrous to the game, letting it stagnate for more than the few months with the same card pool. Now it's rotation and lots of people are throwing up their arms complaining about being unable to use their cards and how they're quitting, without any concept of how dull the competitive game would get if there was no rotation.

Hearing that rotation will "kill" the game in a given area is completely preposterous to me. It's quite literally the only thing that is going to allow the game to grow and hook new people by not making the card pool insanely cost-prohibitive to catch-up on. I'm super in favor of the LCG model vs TCGs, and I even wish FFG would do more aggressive formatting and rotation there for the same reason.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Okay let's break this down, because you seem confused by the points being made:

banned from Starbucks posted:

If they havent hooked new people by now i seriously doubt the idea of rotation is going to draw in a ton of people.
The fact that rotation exists isn't going to overtly draw people to the game, but the fact that a year from now a player can walk into their FLGS and say, "Hey, I want to try SW Destiny, what do I need to get", and the clerk can say "Well these two sets are currently legal for the standard format, focus on those" instead of "Well you've got 2 years of cards to catch up on, start wherever you want because it's going to be expensive"... is a good thing, and will allow the game to gain new players. No one is asking "does this game rotate product?", but as a by-product it allows the game to grow.

Trying to be exactly like magic isnt going to do anything since the people who already like that type of poo poo are already playing magic.
I mean, we can all agree that no game, brand, or approach is going to actually compete with Magic in terms of bringing in players anywhere near it's base. 20+ years of history means that it's just not going to happen. But not learning from their 20 years and what works and what doesn't would be incredibly shortsighted on the part of the publisher, any publisher, looking to keep a new TCG alive for more than a couple years. Acting like "Magic's ways are only good for Magic players", and that they aren't the way they are for quantifiable reasons is just silly.

Telling people "hey you need to drop even more money more often but dont worry its better in the long run" isnt very reassuring when the game is already struggling to stay above water.
Wait, why is anyone having to spend "even more money" on the game? Are you suggesting that there are players who invest half-way into a TCG, build a single deck and expect to never buy product again, playing only one deck for the rest of their time with the game? I'd love to meet these people, because I've surely never known one. Even casual players will buy new cards on the regular, regardless if they're full playset-chasers or not. Suggesting that rotation is forcing them to increase their spend is fairly disingenuous, when we all know that anyone who actually enjoys the game will be spending money on new cards as long as they're still interested in the game.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

You honestly think thats a selling point over "Here buy this poo poo that you can use for a year or however far along in the cycle it is before you have to shelf it and buy all new stuff. Also good luck selling those old cycled out cards."

That's the great thing about being able to look at past examples, is I don't have to "think" it's a selling point. History has proven that to be the case with other games. I'm not sure how you think there's any argument to the contrary. Once again, suggesting that because cards only legal for X duration (not even accounting for the fact the Infinite format was also announced so nothing is ever 100% gone), that suddenly someone HAS TO BUY NEW STUFF, as if they weren't going to buy new stuff anyway, is nonsense. If someone is invested in the game they're not going to stop purchasing new product once they have the cards they want right this moment. It just doesn't happen.

And "good luck selling those old cycled cards" is equally disingenuous, considering that A) the cards will still have the Infinite format, and B), weren't retaining poo poo for value in this game BEFORE the rotation. I looked into selling my surplus of Awakenings singles online a week or two before Spirit of Rebellion came out, and even with the shortage that set saw initially I wasn't getting any more then a couple bucks for the extra (non-Vader) legendaries I had. Most rares weren't even on the buy lists at that point. In other words, with the exception of a few select cards, you're not going to EVER get your money's worth out of your cards, rotation or not. TCGs are a loving TERRIBLE INVESTMENT, and approaching one with the presumption that you'll be able to just get all your money back later, or that you deserve to be able to, is flat wrong.

I obviously have some stark opinions on this, but I've seen these same complaints ring through communities in the past, and in the end it always ends the same: the game nets a healthier, more interesting environment to play in (the point you make about rotating out problem cards is valid, but is clearly not the only reason to rotate), and the ability for new players to jump on is infinitely easier and creates steady growth.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I played in a sealed tournament last night at my FLGS. That's 8 packs + a Rivals box. In my 8 packs, I managed to open the following:

Kylo Ren's Starfighter
Force Wave
Tarkin
Yoda

... and then after my 3-0 win, proceeded to open Obi-Wan's Lightsaber from a prize pack. poo poo was bonkers, and everyone hated me. Especially since the Lightsaber is the only one of the bunch that I needed to finish a play set.

Really enjoying deck-building with Legacies. Lots of crazy new stuff I'm considering. Anyone see the 7th Sister OTK combo deck that's making rounds? Local guy played it a week or two ago and it was hilarious to see go-off.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

whats the build and hows it work

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/16730/rainbow7sotk6-0galacticqualifierday2-1.0

Full write up is there on the site, but the short version is ideally by round 2 you're setup to activate Seventh Sister 3-5 times through the use of Feint, Price of Failure, or Leadership, and using things like Boundless Ambition or Cheat to draw and/or recur those cards. You never resolve the ID-9 Droids until you're done re-activating SS, then once you've got 5 or 6 droids in play, in addition to resolving any other dice along the way, you resolve them all for presumably a poo poo ton of damage (using a single big X Focus side to fix them all to melee). I was dealt 20+ damage in one turn by the deck when I played against it, but was 4-wide on characters and managed to survive it, barely.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Somberbrero posted:

I got into this game a couple weeks ago and I love it. I picked up two 2 player starter sets, a Boba starter, and a box of EaW. Also like, a lot of Legacy. I picked up two Auto Cannons and I had the idea to make a Boba/V Stormtrooper/V Stormtrooper deck themed around indirect damage. I'm using B'omarr Monastery right now to mixed success. I have Lookout Post and Locked & Loaded, are there any other cards that synergize well with indirect damage?

Hey, welcome to the game. It can be a ton of fun. First and foremost, if you haven't come across it yet already, check out https://www.swdestinydb.com for deck building, list sharing, discussion, and collection management.

Something you might run into with Boba/VS/VS is the wide range of damage types on your character dice, which across the three of them have all three types of damage (melee, ranged, and indirect). Damage is damage, but needing to take multiple actions to resolve different symbols instead of being able to lump them all into one action can A) mean you're going a lot slower and unlikely to be claiming the battlefield & having action priority in subsequent rounds (and also can be an issue if you're playing Lookout Post), and B) opens up more opportunities for opposing removal of your dice.

What you might consider instead is to run Boba elite (16 points and you get two of his dice instead of just one), and pair with two First Order Stormtroopers instead of the Vetrans. You still have 3 characters, just a few total health less, but are getting 4 character dice instead of 3, and you're doubling down on your strongest dice (Boba's). You then also are much more focused in on direct ranged damage instead of adding the indirect side into the mix. It probably isn't significantly different and might just come down to taste or preference, but something to consider.

If you're set on going the indirect route with Lookout Post and such, here's some cards I'd consider:
> Fragmentation Grenades are super cheap and have high damage potential, but only once. Probably better in a deck that has some Focus sides so you can more likely fix it to max damage, but might be worth trying. I'm still on the fence about them overall, unless you're running a faster deck with which to recur them from your discard pile via Starship Graveyard. But who knows, with Lookout Post they might be big value.
> Cover Team is a support that can give +1 to an indirect damage side. Since you'd only have 1/6 chance on both Troopers to hit their indirect it might be tough to get value out of it until you get an Autocannon out. Though with the aforementioned Locked & Loaded you might be okay.
> Target Intel will let you finish off a specific character using one of your indirect sides as ranged once they have someone within 1 or 2 HP from death.
> Sudden Impact could be good to turn your Lookout Posts into surprise damage if you don't have something to pair it with due to bad rolls or removal.
> A single copy of Scorched Earth as a late game surprise burst can be awesome (or 2 copies if you think you'll be able to afford everything, which brings me to...)
> Some kind of resource generation will be important here to get lots of stuff going, be it upgrades or expensive events or supports, etc. Chance Cube is often my go-to, but again without any kind of easy dice fixing it's a little questionable. Could pair it with Imperial Discipline which is cheap and can be versatile for either making money or damage happen. But since Veterans don't have a natural resource side, you run the risk of having them never help with money unless you draw the cubes.
> I'd consider an upgrade or two with some big damage sides to pair with Boba's special. Seems like Rocket Launcher might be a great fit in a list like this, since it's high sides that you'll get from Boba easily, or the Launcher's special is solid damage in its own right. It being another 3-cost like your Autocannon is rough though, and drives home the above point.

That's some basic ideas to get you started I think? The DB site will help you a lot with honing in on what you want to do; that and just playing. The game has a very different flow and feel than most other TCGs I've played and takes some time to really get in a rhythm for deck-building and the like.

Good luck have fun!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

PlesantDilemma posted:

I'm a casual player and have a question. Does anyone use the battlefield card "Outer Rim Outpost"? It's claim is "Gain 1 resource and draw a card." I don't understand the advantage of drawing a card when claiming the battlefield. I'm about to draw cards until I have 5 in my hand anyway when the other player ends the round. Is there some other card or strategy that this pairs with?

Yeah, big thing to remember is that during upkeep you can discard any number of cards from your hand before drawing up to 5. So it gives you a little more wiggle room to fix your next round's hand.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
^Also true, in which case it's also important to remember that Claim effects are always optional.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Rieekan / Yoda / Partisan has been the best iteration of Hero Mill since the game's inception. I believe it actually won a regional somewhere recently, and I know it took second in Portland a month or so ago (lost to a friend of mine playing Poe/Hondo). So yeah... It's solid.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Tragically word on the street is there's a good chance we don't see Will of the Force until June, maybe even July. I'm pretty soft on the current constructed meta after playing a bunch locally since the release of Legacies, and have no interest in drafting since I don't need anything I'd be getting out of packs. Lots of others locally are in various degrees of the same position. Weekly events are firing but no one is really excited by them, save for the few people here who are practicing for Worlds in May. After that... :confused:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Wezlar posted:

Yeah NA championships look sweet it's unfortunate (for me) that it's at Gencon and also during the summer. I wish things would get announced with more advance warning like how WOTC announces their gp/pt schedule

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure they did Destiny nationals at Gen Con last year too. Safe to assume it will continue to be there in the future if you want to plan for the future. And if it isn't, well, you'll have a sweet time attending Gen Con anyway, because it's loving Gen Con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I don’t personally, but know of several friends who do or have. There’s a lot of great game stores in Austin.