Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I fully respect that and encourage you to give them to friends and family. But if you do so, don't be upset if some people end up selling off what you gave them. And be careful for people you don't know who are trying to rip you off. I've played these types of games for 20+ years now and know they are out there and are even in this thread. Human nature can be a bitch sometimes and I find it easier to just be cynical and careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I could agree with that. I didn't even know there were sides in the game until another poster told me. It might be in this thread, super early on, or the general FFG games thread. I just didn't know and must have skipped over that rule in the rulebook. A different frame would help.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm trying to build a deck that utilizes Poe Damerons ability to do broken poo poo and i'm looking for more ideas. I got excited earlier when I thought I could roll with Finn and run Crime Lord in my deck, but no go since his ability only applies to weapons and vehicles. Right now the best thing is Thermal Detonator which is a straight 3 damage from the hand to every opposing character. Obviously gonna roll with Launch Bay and Black One. I could still run with Finn which gives me access to AT-ST.

Can you guys think of anything else stupid I could resolve right from my hand in a Poe Dameron deck? Or cards that let me return cards from the discard pile to my hand.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea that's kind of what I was thinking, just looking for things I hadn't thought of. But yea, you start having some really powerful options when you have Finn. Not only is he yellow, but you get the Red Villain vehicles. My only concern is that I can't run ePoe, since Finn is 13 at his lowest. Ideally you'd run Poe with 2 dice to increase your odds of getting a special. I don't want to flood the deck with cards that I basically only use with his ability since the odds of hitting it aren't great. There are plenty of ways of rerolling dice, but its still not a guarantee and two dice helps the odds. Other stuff I thought of was Ackbar, since his ability with the Launch Bay discard option can be kind of nasty.

Edit: Might as well repost my trade wants/haves since i'm kind of on the topic

Have:
Darth Vader x2
Luke Skywalker x2
One With the Force x2
IQA-11 Blaster Rifle
Immobilize
Force Protection
First Order Tie Fighter
Promotion x2
Jedi Robes
DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol
Cunning x2
Black Market
Infiltrate
Count Dooku
Leia Organa x2
Rebel Trooper x2

and the things I want:

Han Solo
AT-ST x2
Force Choke x2
Millennium Falcon
Captain Phasma
Qui-Gon Jinn
Scout
Survival Gear

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 28, 2016

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'd recommend preordering if you want to make sure you get one. It's looking like January 12th might be the restock date. If not that week then the week after. The game is incredibly popular and because of that, more and more people want to play it and because of that, more and more stores want to get into the singles game. Vicious cycle. It's a good sign for the long-term health of the game, but it does suck for the product launch.

I wouldn't expect product to be regularly available, as in walk into a store any day of the week and expect to see stuff, until late February.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
There are people on reddit that are making laser cut trays you could contact and order. Etsy is usually what they use. I just use a regular deckbox and it holds my deck and dice very well. If you can wait, FFG will almost certainly have a storage product coming out in several months.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I would hope that if a mill deck is gonna win then it can be done in less than 35 minutes. I guess that applies to damage as well. With how this game works I would think that mill decks would actually be faster. At the beginning of turn 1 there are only 25 cards left in each deck. There are so many methods to discard cards from hand, in addition to each player having the option to discard to reroll dice. You have to draw up to your max hand size each turn. I don't think the time limits will be an issue.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Funnily enough i've played the other way around and the other deck takes wins pretty easily. The most abusive cards played against me were starter cards and starter character powers. loving Kylo Ren. I'm actually cutting legendarys from my deck because all but 1 of them isn't doing anything. Thermal Detonator is good though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

canyonero posted:

I'm not sure why you're putting scare quotes around collusion. FFG semi-recently changed X-Wing's tournament rules to get rid of draws specifically because of collusion. Maybe they're just gun-shy at the moment and they'll adjust as time goes on. It seems reasonable to give them the benefit for now.

MTG also recently changed their rules to combat collusion. It's a problem for a lot of games, especially games with a pro tournament scene. Turns out pros like other pros.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That little diamond is the unique symbol, which means you can only have 1 of them in play a time (this applies to each player). Luke's Lightsaber is unique, so you can only have 1 in play at a time and your opponent can only have 1 in play at a time.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

KO Derf posted:

I think you've run into an issue I've seen a few times. Your costs are too high for only running a single Poe die. If you miss your 1/6th chance, you will have difficulty paying for things.
You could add 2 Cunning to give you 2 more chances to feax-Poe, plus two more focuses. Or you can cheapen your support and weapons and treat Poe like a bonus if it hits.

This is exactly what I learned when I played my Poe deck. I cut down the amount of expensive vehicles I was running because of it. I still run 2x Thermal Detonators, because lets face it, Poe dropping a Thermal Detonator from the hand is basically the best thing in the game right now. It's so nasty and has resulted in countless wins for me. But I won't run more than 1 Launch Bay or Black One until I figure out how to run ePoe and stay in yellow/red. I don't think needing to play Finn is as important anymore. AT-ST is great, but I think running ePoe is better than having it.

Thermal Detonator is insane and i'm not surprised its picking up in value.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I don't believe you'd be able to using Poe's ability. It says to discard and resolve, if able. Some cards work differently. Mind Throw, for example, works because it says to remove and deal damage equal to value showing. Poe is trying to resolve a die, which works differently.

Edit: I kind of read your post wrong. In that instance I think you would be able to, as long as you had a normal ranged dice showing. Because, again, you are resolving the dice just like you'd normally resolve dice.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It fits because gently caress that card. It can be absolutely devastating when timed right. I had someone remove a focus 3 and damage 3 in a game last week. Removing a focus 3 has to be one of the best hits with that card.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

HidaO-Win posted:

Yeah definitely slotting in Cunning, reckon I'll cut a Black One for it and maybe a Launch Bay. I'm hoping the Hired Guns help with resource generation.

Play The Odds is another possibility, if you want to try it out. From my experience it wasn't reliable enough, but it does have the secondary effect of just being another way to reroll yellow dice. I found myself using it more as just a reroll effect and less of a resource generation effect.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Yep. My local store says they are being quoted by distribution for product delivery on Jan 12. Maybe we'll see something like that timeline for the big online retailers

All stores are being told not to distribute product until the 19th. Even if they get it on the 12th they won't be able to sell it until the 19th. They could always break street dates if they wanted, but thats a risk. FFG wants everyone to sell it at the same time to prevent scalpers buying what they can and reselling online.

In short, about two more weeks. This wave is much bigger than the last one. I know a few distributors are sitting on pallets of the stuff waiting to ship.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I guess I don't understand business, because if I was Mr. FFG I'd be telling people to sell the product as soon as they get it so my game doesn't crash and burn. It's frustrating to only have four of us able to play right now because nobody can get so much as a starter deck. I hesitate to hype the game up too much because people just laugh at it when they hear it's going to take two more weeks for them to own anything for it.

Having to wait a few extra weeks for product is not going to kill the game. It basically hasn't even been released yet. You sound like every Reddit poster who thinks just because product isn't around right now people are never going to play the game. People aren't going to quit the game because they have to wait a little bit and people that haven't played yet aren't going to give up trying to play it because they haven't been able to buy anything for it. They'll just keep waiting. If anything, the wait is making people ravenous for product. Which is why FFG is waiting to release the product at the same time everywhere, so those customers don't go online, buy product with inflated prices and then get jaded because they paid more than they should have paid. This game is incredibly popular.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Uh yeah, I know of one local shop that already stopped their weekly nights for Destiny because of the shortage and falling interest. The game isn't dead because of it, but it drat sure hurt the launch.

So a store is no longer going to support Destiny because they couldn't get enough product in the first month? Not running events now does not equal a dead game. My local store also isn't running events right now and is waiting for product to become more readily available. When it does, they'll start running events.

We are talking about weeks of unavailability, not months or years. People are willing to wait a few weeks. It also helps that it coincided with the holiday season, which means people were already doing other things. I can't think of a single other product that was harmed by a delay of a few weeks. The only game I can think of that had a problem with product availability at release was Dice Masters, and it was most popular when the second set came out. The first set was very hard to find and it only got more popular. I ran a WizKids Open right when it came out, so i'm pretty familiar with it.

Clearly enough people are still playing the game and FFG is still promoting it heavily. This is their CCG/TCG. They have spent more money marketing destiny than they have spent on any other game.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Every quote i've heard has been the 18th. Saying that, SouthernHobby has solicits that look very close to that. They could very well have gotten it in time to release this week. I do know there are some stores that seemed to have gotten a restock late last week. It's entirely possible. I would contact your local store and make sure you have a preorder.

Edit: Just checked and it is official. So it will be out this Friday.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

I assume so, but yeah the term "wave" threw me off, too. I'm used to that meaning new expansions for x-wing/armada.

It's because they are releasing Awakening in 4 shipments, or waves. They initially let distributors know of the delay sometime around late Nov, when the launch was planned. They said that they didn't anticipate the length of the manufacturing process and that affected their release. So they were going to push it out in waves. This is the 3rd wave of 4.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Set looks good. 160 cards is crazy, but I like that they are pushing out a ton of cards right away to build up the card pool. I'm guessing there will be another 17-18 legendary cards. I'm wondering if there will be starters as well.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

You paid $216 for an $85 MSRP box? JFC.

Yea, that's insane. I almost think you should let FFG know. While it's true that MSRP is just MSRP, FFG has taken a stance on really controlling the price of their product. It usually means the other way, as in selling for too cheap, but they might do something about the store charging that much. It's not good for their image. That is one greedy loving store. What is the name of the store btw, so I can know never to shop there.

Edit: Apparently BattleFoam is releasing a line of carrying cases:

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 13, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This is not the final printing for awhile. They announced it would be shipped in 4 waves and this is only the 3rd. There will be 1 more sometime early February. This one was also quite large. My LGS got 9 when they were only getting 3 before. The people at the FFG have been wrong about Awakenings stuff before, as recently as the 2nd wave of this set.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Some people have too much money.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea but it's kind of a scummy thing to do anyway. If people that were able to buy kits did that then game makers would stop making the stuff.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It will die down when stock stabilizes and stores that have fucky prices will be worse off for having lost customer loyalty.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That's different. Those acrylic tokens are available in tournament kits, which are only available to stores and are meant to be used for events. That's a little different than opening up boxes and selling singles. They are much, much rarer and FFG only sells them to stores with the intent to distribute them at events, not to sell them.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've been seeing a lot of MM preorders who keep getting their shipping date pushed back. Which really pisses them off because MM is still opening boxes for singles.

I may sell off the bulk of my collection and just keep 1 deck, and then rebuy at a later date. Prices are so inflated right now because people are ravenous for product.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
There is still 1 more wave planned, but I can't imagine they ever stop producing it. Just like their other games, you can still get stuff for them. Netrunner, X-Wing, Armada, etc. All the initial releases are still made, just in smaller amounts. Maybe they go the route of MTG and stop producing it after a year or two, but that is still awhile from now. Even in the odd event that they do stop, there will still be singles and the market will stabilize as the people that are seeking it do find their product.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Nah those trades are about equal. Vaders stock has dropped quite a bit while Lukes has dropped considerably less. Those other rares bridge the gap. Plus, it's all about if you are happy with what you have now. As long as you get within a few dollars and are fine with it, it's a good trade.

If there is no more Awakening planned for awhile, which I can't believe could be true, i'll probably sideline this game for a bit until it is reprinted and prices stabilize. I just can't imagine what the next 3 months would be like without more. The markets would be crazy and people would be so pissed off, which would be really bad for the game.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Thanks for posting that. I went ahead and bought 2 because they are much cheaper than even my local store. Came out to like $86 a box with shipping.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This whole unavailable Awakenings debacle makes me wonder how bad that Amazon mistake was. Potentially thousands of extra boxes were shipped to customers. Who knows how wide spread that issue was. There were some people that got up to 10 boxes that should have been booster packs. Tons of people got 3 boxes, because they were sold in sets of 3 at a limit of 3 per customer. I can't imagine how many people who never said anything or posted anything and just pocketed their extra product. I'm wondering if they made enough to last for a long time and that stock got massively depleted by an Amazon mistake.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

That would be an incredible error, enough that I would think FFG would take action or stop selling through Amazon. Were the box/pack mix ups sold directly by Amazon, or a 3rd party fulfilled by Amazon?

Directly by Amazon. Amazon is one of the only places FFG allows to sell online. I'm not exactly sure if they had a partnership or if Amazon purchased product to sell online and it was their mistake. If it was Amazons mistake, I imagine they repaid FFG, but Amazon is so huge you don't really want to ruin a relationship with them. I have no idea how it was fixed, I just know a bunch of people got shipped the boxes instead of packs. It's hard to tell exactly how widespread the issue was.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 20, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's not the standard at all. This is the only game i've heard that has two separate prices, and i've purchased many different tcgs from many different distributors. It's pretty unique, almost to the point of being unbelievable if Asmodee/FFG wasn't in a league of their own right now.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea I bought 2 the day before and it came out to $86 a box, which is fantastic. They sent a shipping notice the day after as well.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Gumdrop Larry posted:

With how things are at this point it's actually kind of crazy how reasonable buying sealed product is. I bought a single box with that restock on the 13th, and even with keeping the rares and legendary stuff I wanted alongside playsets of commons and uncommons, I was able to sell off the remainder and make exactly my money back. You will consistently open like double MSRP in value if not more. It's all dried up again, but if I chance across any boxes and boosters in the wild I'm absolutely going to buy all of it that I can right now.

The last box I opened had a Darth Vader, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Jabba the Hutt, Commanding Presence and Kyle Rens Lightsaber. Just the Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are worth more than what I paid. It's kind of dumb how expensive this stuff is getting. I could sell the other 33 cards from the box and it would all be considered profit (if sold together as a lot), with just the 3 cards I mentioned covering the cost of the box, fees and shipping.

Edit: Also, that Han Solo finally got me the 2nd one I needed to build eHan/eRey. Anyone got a good decklist?

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 21, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm kind of curious how much store credit one of those boardgamebliss boxes turns into at cool stuff inc at their buy rates..

I just submitted a buylist to coolstuffinc that contained Jabba the Hutt, Kylo Rens Lightsaber, Holdout Blaster, Jango Fett and 8 other $1-$4.50 rares for $70. So, i'd guess enough to justify buying one.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It is one of those cards that started out at a semi-low price and has steadily been climbing. Everything about it just screams value. All of its sides are usable, it sticks around as a support when the character it attaches to dies, as you said it is not unique and its cost is perfect, especially because blue decks almost always run It Binds All Things. Focus 3 is probably one of the most powerful die sides in this game, with only some specials being as powerful. I ran it in a eLuke deck for awhile and changing him and his lightsabers dies with it won me many games. 9 damage off 3 die is insane.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Sneaky Homunculus posted:

There are drafting events at NOVA 2017 aka Destiny Nationals, so we shall see soon. I am excited for limited.

They pulled that event and said there would be another event instead. They said they'd announce details at a later date.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Its value isn't only in removing dice with good numbers showing, it's also in removing potentially powerful dice. Not only specials, but any dice that could potentially have a good side or a special effect you don't want to see. With how you can reroll in this game or set dice to specific sides, just getting rid of a die can be worthwhile enough. Some special effects can be devastating and if you can remove say a Thermal Detonator special or Poe Dameron special, it's probably still a good move to go ahead and Force Throw that die and stop your opponent from using it. It counts as a 0, but you also stop the effect from ever getting used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone get a decklist for a nice, well tested eHan/eRey deck? Finally got everything I could need for it and haven't been able to find one. I'd just like something to start with that has been tested.