Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I won store champs this weekend (16 or 17 people?) with Emo Kids!

Honestly, you can play a non meta list and do well enough but you're seriously hampering your chances of winning. Obviously do what you think is the most fun, but there are enough good decks in tier 1/1.5 that you should be able to find something that you enjoy playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

http://www.thehyperloops.com/gauntlet/ is pretty good

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

I bought two because im a idiot and bad with money and even though I want to get rid of my awakenings cards i still got this :(

I believe you can immediately flip them for 50 dollars on ebay.

They'll be legal for Canadian Nationals but not available in Canada! :lol: FFG

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

Nah, they're still $30 or less on eBay (some went for $10-15 BIN :shrug:) A couple went for $50 on eBay on Friday, and I'm guessing that people panicked because their LGSes only got a couple of copies in and they couldn't get to a Target, so they assumed it'd be like every other FFG release and be unavailable if they didn't act right then. Target has a bunch in stock, but I'm guessing they don't ship to Canada or you wouldn't be posting that.

Yeah, my friend and I who share cards got 2 because another friend was at PAX thankfully. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it out to nationals though, the cost to travel there plus having to miss work because it's scheduled on a Friday afternooon makes it pretty unrealistic for me to go.

Also the prize support is real bad.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Grabbed my first booster box and pulled a Han Solo, One With the Force, Poe Dameron, Holdout Blaster and Crime Lord. Also got a Rocket Launcher from a pack I bought. Since me and my wife play casually I'm thinking I'll just sell the valuable ones to buy more booster boxes to get as many cards as I can for Deck building.

You should absolutely get two copies of the Two Player Game. All of the chracters are good and there are a bunch of good cards in it. If you wanted to play in a tournament at a store or something you can make two reasonably competitive decks (not going to win the tournament probably but should win some games) with just two copies of the two player game.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

At least here I feel like the meta is mostly diverse because people don't want to play FN or Thrawnkar or whatever. We'll see how it really is at the next big tournament. I guess people not taking the game too seriously is a nice side benefit of the bad tournament support.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm happy with the changes but at this point I'm sort of worried every time the meta settles and people start bitching we're going to see a bunch of nerfs.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Quidthulhu posted:

Went ahead and ordered a booster box from the new set. I pulled a Palpatine from my random boosters a few weeks ago so I'm hoping to maybe build a deck with him after seeing what else I get. I will need to find another Palpatine die, though...

How's the meta look nowadays with the errata changes?

Both of my local FLGS' do Destiny nights and on different days, so I'm excited to potentially bring a deck & cards to trade next week. Boosters come tomorrow!!!

It's pretty wide opened but there hasn't been a big tournament with the new errata yet. 4 wide or 5 die teams are really strong now because of the nerfs to every rocket launcher deck and the lack of burst damage.

I'm playing Bala/Ciena/Trooper 5 die redeploy today

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The redeploy list felt really good, honestly though I think one of the bigger problems with a lot of lists I see online is they don't play enough disruption so that's most of the modifications my friend and I have been making. I also tried playing with the Maz Hera vehicles list and it felt pretty smooth. In general just playing a bunch of characters feels really good right now. The redeploy list feels like it should lose to vehicles versions but I usually feel like I have enough dice/resource disruption that e-wings can't do much damage. Being able to play 5 dice, 3 characters and a ton of redeploy weapons just feels super strong in a meta where no one is bursting you down.

Also I've missed being able to untap Bala and wreck people.

edit: Unrelated to the deck, the number one piece of advice that I have for new players is that in a situation where you have nothing to do if you have cards in hand you NEED to bluff disruption if your opponent has dice in play and continue to pass instead of claiming. On the other side of the coin if you have a bunch of dice in play or even characters you haven't activated yet and someone claims if you have 3 or 4 cards in hand it is your opportunity to absolutely destroy them and unless one of those cards is crucial to your gameplan you should be discarding all of them to reroll for max damage, even if you're just rolling 1 or 2 dice.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 5, 2017

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah we have so few events to begin with, having to have multiple constructed formats + draft seems like way too much

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm not surprised about rotation (well, i am sprt of surprised theyre introducing it so soo) more about 3 different formats. Two would probably be enough for the game to function on a competitive level for the next 5+ years.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Devlan Mud posted:

Yeah I've got one Yoda and no Force Speeds and I'm pretty much just telling everyone who makes me an offer to throw a pair of Force Speeds in and I'll consider it.

So far nobody has, but I'd really have to think about that.

two force speeds are already worth 20 dollars more than Yoda is worth so yeah they would pretty much have to be idiots to do this.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Part of me wants to buy a box to try and flip then, drat.

I've been thinking about breaking down boxes/cases to flip and it would definitely be profitable, but you probably need to sell common/uncommon sets and a bunch of cheaper cards and it could definitely take a while to make your money back/profit.

Also if you only buy one or two boxes and brick badly on legendaries (the titles especially) you're going to lose money.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 14, 2018

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

overdesigned posted:

edit: how the hell do you store all these dice

Most people I know use big disorganized Tupperware containers hah.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Draft is a very very slow format. Just so you're aware.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah, Hero Vehicles and Hero mill are definitely good options to start with.

I played Sabine/Ezra at the ND regional yesterday. Finished 21st at 4-3. Last round my tiebreakers were awful (Kid I beat round 1 was 0-6, dude I played round 2 who was playing OTK ended up losing a few other matches were the main issues) so I had no shot at top 8. Luckily I was paired against my best friend who was also 4-2 and sitting in 9th place so I scooped him in and we went to get food. He was playing OTK and ended up losing in top 8 to eBoba/e7th which seems like right now the deck to beat, at least going into next week.

Luckily we both got into Worlds through the draw! If you applied make sure you check your spam folder

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Hauki posted:

Boba/7th is explosive with a decent draw. I'd consider it for sure if I already had everything, but I only picked up one sister back when and now I'm kicking myself since they've doubled in price.

Anyway, been practicing with Sabine/Yoda, Zeb/Yoda and hero vehicles for regionals lately, still can't settle on a deck. Zeb/Yoda just feels like a more 'fair' Sabine/Yoda with 1 extra point of health and the extra Yoda die, but I don't think either of those make up for Sabine's card text. I also want to try out RI/jump Obi/Maz. Hero vehicles is pretty consistent, but there's some hero mill in our meta and some OTK, both of which are pretty awful matchups.

Part of my issue settling on a deck is our local meta is in constant flux, so it's not really easy to tech against it. A lot of the better players switch between various tier 1/2 decks frequently and while they're not exceptionally skilled with any one, it's hard to prepare for any specific matchup. A lot of the mediocre-to-worse players just bring... whatever homebrew they feel like in the moment and while 9 times out of 10 it's over in a couple rounds in my favor, there's that occasional weird inclusion/combo that just completely blows you out of the water when they actually land it. I fully admit some of those losses are 100% on me, because when I see someone newer-looking lay out like Gamorrean/Magnaguard/eGreedo or whatever I hold back a little on Sabine action cheating and RI fuckery.

I feel like in general the Sabine decks have a really unfavourable matchup vs the 7th sister decks, and as the meta has progressed the hero vehicles deck just feels too slow. For Sabine it feels really hard to burst 7th turn one and if they play aggressively on your Sabine it can be over so fast.
If you have the cards, a deck you might want to consider is Thrawn/Talzin. The guy piloting it scooped a teammate into the finals at ND regionals because he already got into worlds but apparently it has a good matchup vs Boba/7th and the OTK list. I didn't really see it play and I don't have the list yet but if we can't get enough dice to run two 7th sister lists it's probably what I'll be playing at our regionals.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

20 cost elites :negative:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

frameset posted:

Does anyone else foresee a Yoda nerf? He feels like the latest in the line of Maz style supports that are too good.

Yoda decks can have a really hard time dealing with Seventh Sister decks and haven't really been doing well since everyone learned to tech against mill so unless there are some sweeping changes I kind of doubt it.

The metagame is in a really good place right now. Of the 18 regionals in the last month 9 different decks won and no deck won more than 3 regionals so honestly they would be kind of insane to start banning cards.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 16, 2018

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

Off the top of my head the #1 card I'd like to see something done with is Running Interference. Not because it's running rampant through the meta, but because it's completely un-fun to play against. Even the people I know that play the card a lot agree that it's a little too much and brings the game down.

I can definitely see why someone would want RI changed but I love it and really hope they don't unless RI decks become opressive. It's one of the most unique and one of the most skill testing cards in the game and it is pretty much the only thing that makes Yellow Hero decks playable at all.

Edit: personally I really hate mill and find that the absolute most frustrating thing to lose against. Especially because for decks that don't burst the only counterplay is to not play your cards.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 16, 2018

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think I'm probably going to play Thrawn/Talzin at regionals this weekend. Mill feels like an awful matchup but otherwise the deck feels really good and I think it has a ton of play no matter what matchup you're playing because you get so much free dice fixing and Thrawn really rewards matchup knowledge.

Plus I think unless the meta changes a ton it's probably a deck I can master and still play at worlds.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Our regional will be fairly small (If people travel to it we might get 20+) so I will be pretty disappointed in myself if I don't get at least top 8. I got into worlds from the draw though so I'm really just playing for practice/prizes.

If anyone feels like running some sets on tts for fun/practice let me know. I'm Wezlar on steam or you can find me in the KoR discord

I want to get in a lot of practice for worlds, I don't actually take the game as seriously as my friend who I share cards with but how many chances am I ever going to get to be world champion of anything?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

If anyone is at Worlds shoot me a pm, I'm hanging out until IA starts then heading over to the Radisson for side events. I'll probably be here all week.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm gonna write up a trip report when I get back for sure. Just want to mention that the prize wall is unacceptably bad. Worse than a GQ. Almost everything is leftover promos. The only spot gloss characters available are the unplayable droid panorama, Hondo, Kanaan and Phasma (which was the store champs top 4 prize). The binders you get for registering are complete trash compared to the leather deck boxes you got in previous years. If you want those leather deck boxes you can get them with tickets but they're leftover ones from 2016. It's absolutely ridiculous. gently caress FFG.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 3, 2018

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Ok so, trip report!

Tuesday we drove down to Minneapolis from Winnipeg because my friend Mat had Imperial Assault pools on Wednesday. We got in fairly late and went to our airbnb which was pretty weird. It was like a house where 3 or 4 guys lived in dinky town and they gave us a code that just randomly let us in when no one was home. It was nice though and they were cool enough. We went to go get food and I hit the worst pothole ever and broke a strut on my car. Thankfully we managed to get it fixed the same night and also catch the Jets game.

Wednesday my friend played IA pools (made top 16) and I played pods. Pods were fun but I absolutely bombed in them. I went 1-2, 0-3, 1-2 playing Boba Seventh. I was super unprepared for worlds due to exams/our friend visiting town the week before so this was most of my practice.

Thursday was my pool. We left the airbnb to find my truck had been towed. I raced down to the impound in an uber and actually beat the tow truck there. My friend took the uber to FFG Center and they let him register my deck for me. Thankfully I made it in time for pools. I was stressed out and feeling bad about my deck. Here's where the fun begins

Game 1vs eBoba/ePhasma
Turn 2 I used Alter into 8 damage with double boba special, +1 on vibroknife and +3 on ancient saber. Turn 3 he had 2 life left and controlled the battlefield, rolled out and couldn't kill me, I rolled out lethal and he couldn't mitigate so I won
1-0
Game 2 vs eYoda eZeb
Opened with friends in low, removed pickings, saw truce so I saved my saber pull for mauls. He hit my boba for 7 round 1 but used the truce. I pulled mauls, hit Zeb for 8 round 1. He played Maz's vault and claimed. Round 2 I started with 4 resources. He rolled out but didn't roll damag.e I rolled two 2 stick sides on Boba, he had no pickings. Killed Zeb. Saber pull again for Ancient. Played it and rolled out sister. +4 and 2 stick for 6 into Yoda. Power action into rerolls for the win.
2-0
Round 3 vs eAayla Padawan Padawan
Really nice guy from Calgary. I don't really remember anything crazy specific about this match, I drew a ton of control and he didn't draw enough. I had double Ancient on Boba. I won and we played on my battlefield. I had brought Ewok Village as tech against the hero sheilds matchups. Used it to remove 5+ shields
3-0

At this point I was riding high. My luck had turned around and I only needed one more win to day 3...

Game 4 vs eYoda eHondo
Couldn't roll unmodified damage sides to save my life. I discarded a Vibroknife instead of Shoto which I think was a mistake. I followed it up by missing a Shoto trigger. I got greedy with a bait and switch trying to reroll my Mauls. Overall it was a good game but there was a point at the end of the match where I had 3 dice with a combined 5 unmodified sides and I pitched to reroll 3 times. If I had hit a single unmodified side I win the game but I didn't and I lost.

3-1

Game 5 vs eYoda Padawan Wookie Warrior
Really really good close game. I lost both bait and switches to friends in low. Eventually it came down to me running out of cards with 5 damage sitting on Wookie Warrior

3-2

Game 6 vs eThrawn eTalzin
Normally I don't really get too emotional when I play card games but at this point I was super nervous. I completely forgot everything I know about the matchup and I saber pulled as my opening action. He obviously Thrawned me for my upgrade and I was on the back foot and just crazy mad at myself. It was another game where I couldn't roll a damage side to save my life but I'm sure I was tilted and made a ton of misplays. I wished my opponent good luck but I was pretty clearly angry. I found him on Day 2 and apologized for my tilt and we laughed about it a bit. He needed a win to get into top 32 and I hope he got it!

So that's the story of how I went 3-3 and missed day 2 of worlds! On the other hand while I was there I scouted some spicy tech and we made some modifications to the deck. My friend Mat played his pools on Day 1C so we switched out Vibros for Crossguards, added in It Binds All Things instead of the yellow ramp to help with the Hondo matchup and removed Vibro Cutlass. He ended up making top 8! If you were watching the stream I was behind him on most of his feature match in the Bullet Club shirt.

Even though I was super salty on my day and swore off Destiny forever, and the prize wall was kind of awful, worlds was a ton of fun. Everyone we played with and talked to was super cool, we met and hung out with the X-Wing Junkies guys who actually play at the same store as us but on a different day and watched the Jets game at Buffalo Wild Wings with them on Friday. It was a really good experience and I would definitely recommend people go in the future.

Just practice more than I did before you do :suicide:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah NA championships look sweet it's unfortunate (for me) that it's at Gencon and also during the summer. I wish things would get announced with more advance warning like how WOTC announces their gp/pt schedule

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Merauder posted:

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure they did Destiny nationals at Gen Con last year too. Safe to assume it will continue to be there in the future if you want to plan for the future. And if it isn't, well, you'll have a sweet time attending Gen Con anyway, because it's loving Gen Con.

Yeah thats fair, I wasn't as big into the game laat year and the prizes and everything were much worse so it probably wasn't something I would attend before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Congrats on the 6-0 GQ I hear they're really fun but can also be a crazy grind. Hope to see you at worlds!

Sorry this is super late but here is my friends tournament report from worlds/decklist

https://www.thehyperloops.com/b7worldstop8/

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 31, 2018