Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Even the LCG got limits to 1 of, and pretty quickly at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

I expect prices to go up as product continues to dry up. Yesterday FFG and Asmodee started a new website function where you can see the availability status of their games, including games in development, at printer, on the boat and awaiting reprint. Awakenings is noticeably absent from anywhere on that list. They say games that have been out for 7 days are removed, but if they were doing a reprint i'd expect to see it on that list. This kind of backs up the rumors going around. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

I guess the only people that really know are FFG. My LGS is getting 3 boxes today, but they have orders in for as much as they can get, and they can usually get a lot. That makes me think we won't see any more for awhile. The game isn't going to die because of the lack of product and the cards will all probably rise. That's just speculation on my part though. I've thought about selling off as well, just until product stabilizes. But I also like the game and don't want to potentially pay more for the stuff I want when I start playing again. So i'm just gonna hold on to what I have and try and keep my local community playing.

That site function has been there for a while. There's a deadzone from Shipping Now +7 days to Awaiting Reprint.
Who knows what the trigger is for Awaiting Reprint status? They say it's when it's "out of stock at FFG", so it's a little nebulous.
Is it when they ship the very last of their stock downchannel? Do they wait until all the product trickles in, and no more is scheduled?

I expect that someday it will just pop in as "At The Printer" because the production will be scheduled immediately once they are sold through

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

For smaller and cheaper, the 400 card BCW "pizza boxes" can hold 84 dice with dividers and the associated cards. I use the starfield print cardboard jackets from the boosters as dividers.
Definitely more work to dig stuff out compared to the Plano case.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/trading-card/trading-card-boxes/400-card-storage-box

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

Played a couple games last night and a good 25% of all my rolls resulted in blanks. It was ridiculous. Saying that, I did discover that with Power of the Dark Side, rolling blanks isn't all that bad. Especially with Sith Holocon, since it has 2 blank sides. Just another reason why Sith Holocron is so good.

Power of the Dark Side is such a great card. It's one of my favorites to play because on some dice, you're going to be happy with literally any result that comes up.

Feel Your Anger is well named also, because it's infuriating to be on the opposite side of it :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Spirit of Rebellion spoilers below.

IG-88 in Spirit of Rebellion, cool!

Pasting in a google translation

Followers of STAR WARS DESTINY, this time it's time to do some accounts ... or be very lucky! Can you guess the result of the following sum?
The Health Value of I8-88 the next expansion.
The sum of the values ​​of its dice faces.
The point cost of his elite version.
Let a "like" our page, commented this with your answer (1 post per account) and share it on your wall PUBLICLY before the IG-88 paper is spoiled ... The first three guess or to go more They may be located near a rey in more!

Cool. :roboluv:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I opened up one of my boxes today.
My legendaries were, in ascending order of excitingness, Han Solo, Black One, Phasma, Crime Lord, Force Choke, and Luke Skywalker.

I was really excited for Han Solo, but then it turns out he's one of the infamous misprints with three 1 resource sides :smith:
He's not tournament legal and not even playable.

I also opened Jedi robes, 2 BB-8s, a Rey's Staff, and 2 bloody Tie fighters.

I rate that box a C-

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Team Covenant are kinda poo poo heads for being so connected with FFG while having the highest prices around for their product. gently caress their smug branding, I'm not paying $20+ more for something just because it's hard to find right now.

I keep refreshing the page. It cycles between "In Stock", "Only 1 left in stock" and "3 left in stock".
Weird.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Merauder posted:

$2.99 x 32 packs is $95.68 MSRP. Even with sales tax and shipping added in, the $106 they're asking is a bit high. I don't think it's quite as overblown as BottomLiner is making it out to be, but they're definitely above MSRP.

36 packs in a box, $107.64

They're actually cutting us a deal!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I've just always been rubbed wrong by their "we're so slick so you can pay the premium for our Brand TM" style, and this is just an extension of that. Their saga sets also pissed me off since they said it includes a playset of the entire set (1 of each legendary) but I had to go through 3 channels of support to get confirmation that it doesn't include starter cards. Literally every other big online retailer is a better choice for FFG product.

MSRP is $106 so I don't see how $106.99 is actually a little lower than MSRP.

Yeah Team Covenant has pretty awful prices.

They came up when I was looking for acrylic X-Wing templates and range rulers. They want $55 for their Official Team Covenant Branded template set. An Etsy seller Curled Paw Creatives has a complete set for $20, and has 1,200+ reviews from buyers of that item. They look really nice too, and can be customized.

The blog entries are sometimes good though. Except for X-Wing Theorist, that guy's the worst.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I haven't seen him play in events for a while so I wonder how he is even still in the game. Does he just do Vassal games now?

No idea. I have no idea who he is.

I don't know if he's the worst, but his opinions about the game are.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

Is he the one that thinks his homebrew poo poo doesn't stink because he thinks FFG uses his mods as design guidance?

Same one who gripes that Card of the Day warps the meta too much and makes it so there's only one or two viable builds now.
Sometimes Palpatine, sometimes Zuckuss, sometimes Autothrusters.
Sorta ignores the huge amount of diversity in top 16 lists we see.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Benthalus posted:

Same here for the first two boxes I opened, they were nearly identical except for the legendaries. Before opening the third box (which I hadn't planned on but the disappointment of the second box fueled some rage rips) I had a total of 4 Holocrons, 4 Datapads, 4 Survival Gear, 4 First Order Ties, and 4 Infantry Grenades. First two are fine, they have value. The last three are worthless.

Clearly the randomization of the rares between boxes is highly suspect.

The decision to make some, but not all, starter cards also available as rares in random boosters is so bizarre.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

So I've got 2 boxes on the way now, and I'm tempted to ebay scalp a 3rd...

Ask me about the 10 boxes I'm sitting on :smaug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

stoko posted:

So how about those 10 boxes you're sitting on?

They're alright, thanks for asking.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The decks are going to feel sorta similar right now, because of the limited card pool.

You have ~25 characters. Besides that, 140 cards that can be included in a deck (excluding the one-of battlefield).
Card pool is further split by affiliation, Hero or Villain, and then some Neutrals. Then for color, you have 3 spheres plus general.

Using an extreme example:
If you're running blue heroes only (combinations of Rey, Qui Gon, Luke), 70% of that 140 card pool is unavailable to you, due to color or affiliation.

A quarter of the remaining cards are going to be obvious auto-includes. Then maybe a quarter portion of the remaining cards are going to be duds that you would never want in that deck (sorry BB-8!).
Now you're only really making a decision on the last ~10-15 cards to fill out your deck.
So yeah, they're going to feel similar.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

I agree with most of this post. Obviously it's fuzzy to claim that 25% of the remaining cards are useless and 25% are auto-includes, but I get the gist of your point.

Yeah, a little bit of hyperbole never hurt anyone

Benthalus posted:

Yeah, I picked up on this in your response to Bottom Liner and definitely agree that the game will change as the card pool expands. I really hope they don't emphasize control too much, because in my experience playing Magic it tends to make games longer, more frustrating and less fun. We already have enough frustration when the dice roll poorly for us and/or well for our opponent.

Also, I have the feeling that Hyperloop was an anomaly that they just didn't expect. I still think that the Emperor's Throne Room is the real problem as I mentioned in a prior post. The Falcon's special is still only 1/6, and if you want to manipulate that die it takes actions to get there, leaving the die open to manipulation. Claiming ETR allows automatic use of ANY special, which constrains the design space of any card using a special side, far more concerning and difficult to work with than just yellow hero and neutral events.

35 minutes for a game is already such a tight deadline if any player is taking a while to make decisions. Games will go to time unless you have explosive aggro.
Tiebreakers are never perfectly fair and balanced, and it would be bad for the game to see slow-playing control decks exist with the expected win condition of "do some damage, then run out the clock to time and win the tiebreaker"

That's what X-Wing had with double Millennium Falcon lists before the regs were changed. If the game went to time, the player who had fully destroyed more points of enemy ships won the game. Small based ships can't cover as much distance as large ones, and have lower health.
The strategy against swarms was to zip in, tank damage, fully destroy one or two enemy ships, and then just scoot the faster (damaged) big ships around the playfield until time was called. The fix here was to give half points to players if they destroyed half points on a large ship, but man that was a very crappy negative play experience.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm running my first Destiny tournament tonight. It's just going to be a casual thing because my store doesn't have the tournament kits, so we're doing the same prize structure we use for Magic. Four rounds, and prizes based on record. 4-0 would get 9 packs of Magic, which is $27 store credit, 3-0-1 gets 6 packs, so $18 credit, and 3-1 gets 3 packs, or $9 credit. If anyone has a better way for a four-rounds-and-done structure, let me know! In Magic, usually people who are 3-0 going into the last round intentionally draw their last round so they're 3-0-1. I can't find anything in the tournament rules about intentional draws in Destiny, but I guess I'll try it this way for now. This has worked for us for Magic for about eight years, so it's worth a shot as a baseline. I have some things I want to give away to new players (playable commons, a couple of the lesser point characters I bought for $2, etc.). I wish we had actual packs of Destiny for prizes, but there are none on Long Island.

It's in Selden, NY, which is in Suffolk County, Long Island, at 7 PM. If anyone's even near there, which I doubt, PM me for details.

There are no draws in Destiny. Tiebreaker is health value of defeated characters + damage on surviving characters. Second tiebreaker is number of cards in hand + draw deck. Ultimate tiebreaker is whoever controls the battlefield.
So, no need to worry about draws.

I went to an event where they gave out the top prizes from the OP kit and two starter packs to the winner. The rest was distributed via random drawing, so even players who scrubbed out like me had a chance to win stuff.
Since you don't have sealed product or an OP kit, I guess you could do the same with store credit?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I really like holdout blasters with Rey. Cheap upgrade to trigger her ability, and gives you an extra 2 actions.

Actually I like Holdout Blaster with everyone

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Jyn is 15 points and has great damage sides. She might be a good buddy for Poe

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

For those who don't want to watch the video.

Obi Wan Kenobi has an incredible die, and he's crazy expensive. Love all those focus and damage sides.
Elite Darth Vader Dark Apprentice is the perfect cost to pair with Elite Kylo Ren :haw:
And the Carbon Freezing Chamber battlefield pretty much immediately makes the Emperor not worth running.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

That Obi looks like so much fun. A side with 3 melee and a side with 2 focus, combined with the Guardian keyword and playing an upgrade for free. In fact, you can place a One With The Force on him from your hand or discard pile for free and it turns into a support right away. Nasty.

I like the idea of Willpower too with Obi Wan

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

I randomly checked ebay today and booster boxes are up to $210. I wonder how much higher they will go. That's almost double MSRP.
Looking at recently sold listings, it looks like they're getting sold in the $190-200 neighborhood after shipping. :eyepop:

I considered your advice of cracking open my dragon hoard of ten boxes and selling the singles, but I just sold them as complete boxes. Probably left some money on the table, but there's something to be said about being done with it. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.
I just listed and sold all my boxes on a facebook trading group for $145 shipped today, and half the comments were the price police tut-tutting about :byodood:PRICE GOUGING:byodood:. Shipping these things with tracking and insurance averaged me $20/box (when I was estimating $13), with Paypal fees taking another $5, which puts me at net revenue of $120/box, which is MSRP+tax if I had bought them locally (I didn't, but that's my own business).
That's why I like selling/trade forums (like SA Mart) with rules against non-buyers commenting on price or telling people where they can buy it elsewhere. Don't worry, the internet strangers didn't hurt my feelings.

The alleged price gouging didn't dissuade 15 people from messaging me in the first 30 minutes buying them all.
A guy messaged me right after I had sold the last one saying he owned a store, and he would buy literally every box I had left at that price just so he could get SOME product in store. Guy probably could have cracked them for singles and made $150 profit per box selling them at his location if he was selling at online prices.

This is nuts. I'm making arrangements to sell locally the rest of my collection. I'm about $180 deep in product that I kept for myself (box and a half and one of each starter) and I've played maybe 10 games because I don't have the time to play Destiny in addition to the other stuff I want to do. On a $/game basis, it's turning into a poor value for me. Maybe once product becomes available and prices level out, I'll get back into it. Assuming that I find more leisure time (unlikely) and/or get bored of X-Wing (also unlikely)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

Those niche games just die around here (Long Island), which is why I'm extra salty about it. It won't be a rich kids' game, it won't be a game I get to play among a small group of friends, it'll just completely die out.

On a more positive note, I am excited to see what's in the new set, the upgrades and events more than the characters. I've got a Leia/Ackbar deck that is great, but is literally using every red and gray card that can possibly fit in the archetype. Some more hero/neutral guns and that deck's going to open up. Same with Han/Rey, it needs more ambush cards to be more consistent. I was excited about the prospect of a Grevious/Raider/Raider deck, but there aren't nearly enough supportive cards for it in Awakenings and that could change in SoR. All the red villain cards in Awakenings are about disposable non-unique red characters.

Looks like the card pictured (with Maz) is an upgrade, and the die pictured with Maz could be a character or support.
A 1 resource upgrade with a 2 focus side looks pretty spiffy. Wonder what that 0 cost blue card is too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The facebook SW Destiny marketplace that I sold some boxes through has been a fun place this morning. A guy posted a picture of a full case of 6 boxes, asking for $1,200 for the lot. Then a handful of people had MELTDOWNS and at least one guy got banned.

:munch:

I wonder if Spirit of Rebellion is going to have the same availability issues.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

$1200 isn't even much of a bulk discount though. You'd think you'd get a bit knocked off for buying all of them at once.

Are people just choosing to ignore reality when it comes to prices? Everyone can go to Ebay and search for themselves. Boxes are $200 at least and are only going to rise (though I think the cap is coming up soon, at some point people just won't pay. That point is probably at about $220-$230). There is something to be said with purchasing on Ebay and getting a buyer guarantee, which you don't necessarily have on Facebook.

I agree, that probably isn't the right price for almost anyone. Guy *might* have sold them one by one at $200/ea eventually, but there's probably nobody willing to pay $200/box who is also looking for 6 boxes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Rumor mill:
My local store is opening up pre-orders tomorrow at $86/box for Spirit of Rebellion. They also stated in the same announcement that their policy is to open up pre-orders at exactly 30 days from release date.

Putting those two together, I'm expecting that we see SoR in the last week of March

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Policy is to have starter sets and a base set reprinted for a year.

"What about the base set Awakenings?"

"Naah"

I'm ready to start panicking about the long term health of the game if they continue to have sealed product availability issues.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why does noone play hyperloop? If X-wing had a broken as gently caress gimmick like thta you'd expect to see 30% of any given tournament running it.

How soon you forget the old Whisper days

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Merauder posted:

I think Starter Exclusive cards are fine, if they actually put 2 of each exclusive in the decks to avoid the issue you mention of people having to double-up on them. The bigger issue, I think, is including rares that AREN'T starter only in them, which completely sucks for people opening packs and getting stuff they already had. BB-8, Jedi Robes, and Rey's Staff are the worst things ever to see when opening stuff, and hold no value because of their fixed distribution in starters. I know, woe is me, I have too many of some cards while other people can't get any, but once availability is resolved with future releases that's still going to be an issue.

I always just use my spare BB-8s to hand to my curious kids as they come up to the table and want to touch all the cards. Here kid, play with a BB-8 die. They're always excited because they love BB-8 :3:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

That Overkill card with Baze looks like a great addition to Ackbar+Guns/Troopers deck

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

Sucks to see another player quit, but i'll be perfectly honest: i've seen tons of people quit already. Saying that, people getting rid of their stuff might one day want to come back and will have to pay quite a bit more for the really solid cards from Awakenings. I can't imagine what Sith Holocron, Holdout Blaster, Jetpack and a couple other cards might be a year from now.

Truth. There will be more desirable Vaders printed, and a blue villain ability better than Force Choke printed, but I bet Sith Holocron is a real snowflake.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Elblanco posted:

Everything about this game kinda sucks, except for the game itself.

Good thread title

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Word is that in FFG's presentation at GAMA trade show in Vegas today, they said the "limited" reprint of Awakenings does not mean a "small" reprint of Awakenings, and they are printing enough that they expect it to be in stock for a while.
Hang in there, dudes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

That Finn alt art is raddddd

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/17/unlikely-heroes-1/

New preview is up, for yellow hero cards.

That bowcaster looks great, so does Maz and Lone Operative.

edit:
eChewbacca's special feels real good next to Force Throw's special.

double edit:
LOL Maz is going to be ridiculous in a hyperloop deck. Get a decent weapon or upgrade on Maz, roll some damage and resolve immediately, then hyperloop claim the battlefield to reset the round.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 17, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Holy crap Rey/Luke deck with Vibroknife

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ronpaulit'shappening.gif

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I almost can't believe that no designer or playtester saw FN-2199 and said hey let's try a deck that's just full of weapons and see what happens, so if that deck is actually super powerful I'm going to be a little surprised.

Hyperloop was a little obscure and I think it even took players a while to pick up on. I'll give them a pass for it existing, but not for it getting a win condition now.

Hyperloop used to be "try to lose more slowly than your opponent" but now it's "get out Planetary Uprising and the Millenium Falcon and win"

How does FN-2199 work? I'm thinking you overwrite the weapons to roll out and resolve dice one at a time for free? Sounds pretty bogus.

This game is fun but I think I don't want to chase the meta and participate in it competitively at all. I'll just buy a box or two of each expansion and keep some decks to play with my buds at home.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/1/galactic-law-section-2278a/

Hyperloop is errated out. Hyperspace Jump is now set aside after use, instead of added to the discard pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Considering SoR gave hyperloop a win condition it's good that they're being proactive.

Right. Literally once you get the Hyperloop pieces on the board and Planetary Uprising out, you claim the battlefield continuously and your opponent never gets another turn