Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I doubt your deck will move fast enough to get to use that card in most games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ville Valo posted:

I bought 3 boxes and got a lot of dupe legendaries (3 Baze, 3 Chewie, 2 of several others) and I'm missing a decent number of rares all together, like Jyn and Chirrut. Do I go for more boxes? Or is it time to just snatch up singles? Do the math for me, thread.

I feel like if you can buy boxes at or below MSRP, do that. Singles prices are going to be a little high in the 3-4 week drought before the second wave of shipments arrives. Best time to sell stuff is when nobody can buy sealed product, and best time to buy stuff is when product is plentiful.

Destiny arbitrage.

Also, I read this funny thing on reddit

Premonitions Trap! self.swdestiny
Submitted 1 day ago by regularguy2121

quote:

So after the FAQ update I suspected there would be a lot of upgrade steeling under Premonitions from my opponents. I decided to throw one copy of it in my eBen/Maz deck and play a game with it.
I got it in play against my opponent who happened to be running ePalp. So he plays his Premonitions all smug at me in the chat box before I can say anything "I'm going to play the card under yours for free! :)".
Okay bro
What does he play you ask? Noble Sacrifice, congrats bro you killed yourself on Round 2. Rage quit.

Guy inadvertently Noble Sacrifice-d his own ePalp :laugh:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

It's pretty lovely that they'll send the card but not the dice. A friend opened a Palp card with a tie die so there goes $50 :v:

It does suck, but they have to stick with one or the other.

What really sucks though is if you get a misprint. They just send a new random pack. A local dude got a misprinted Han die (I did too), and they sent him an unopened pack. It had Jedi Robes inside :sad:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hauki posted:

Speaking of misprinted dice, do you guys just like look at every side and compare to the card as you open them or something? I'm not sure I would notice otherwise.

I only check on the legendaries.

You'll typically notice it in game though, as your duplicate side comes up on average in 1 of 3 rolls

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

Has anyone found any stores purchasing SW Destiny stuff yet? I have a ton of bulk and trading/Ebay isn't working out too well. Games been out for almost two weeks and still the only place buying is MiniatureMarket, which is offering horrible prices backed by a bad company. CoolStuffInc used to be my go to, but the only card they are purchasing is Force Speed. I have a feeling most stores are just waiting to see how things settle, as I know CoolStuffInc was offering amazing prices for Awakenings stuff right after release and may have gotten burned. Awakenings was an entirely different release, but I imagine they are still playing it safe.

TCGPlayer.com is adding Destiny and Final Fantasy to their system soon, so you'll probably see shops that use increase their buys

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Lump Shaker posted:

Has anyone tried increasing the character point limit and deck size to 40? I wonder what that would look like.

Also, this is my first time really getting into a CCG and I've seen a lot of people trading online in facebook groups, etc. Is there a particular protocol people follow or do you just hope that your trade partner is trustworthy?

Use PayPal, get tracking numbers. I haven't had issues but all my deals have been for money, not a trade in product.
It works well for facilitating local trades too

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ville Valo posted:

Good luck getting to use PayPal for anything but friends-and-family transfers though. Somehow the online card trading/selling community has convinced everyone that buyer protections are unreasonable and will not accept the fees as a seller.

Truth. People are idiots.

The fees are easy to calculate (30 cents plus 2.9%), so if they insist on getting the fees covered for them (in violation of Paypal's TOS) and I really want to make the deal go through, I just add it to the transaction and then never deal with that seller again.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

Also, eLuke/Maz Fast Hands Force Speed is like Mario Kart or Monopoly - fun, yet an incredibly fast way to lose friends for life

I'm hearing the same buzz around ePoe/eMaz. Maz has got fast hands built in, and if you can draw into Fast Hands on Poe first turn your opponent is going to lose very quickly and have 20 minutes left in the 35 minute round to complain about it before the next round starts.

But there are a lot of decks out there that can one-shot Maz in the first round, so there's that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hauki posted:

Yeah, a lot of people have been arguing that you should focus Poe or Luke first, but if I can drop her round 1 or early round 2, I think it's absolutely worth it. Not having to deal with her rolling in and immediately focusing and resolving a Poe special or a pair of Luke dice for a pile of damage makes a substantial difference.

Cool, thanks. Yeah I'll try to check it out, will depend heavily on a bunch of other factors.

There are a few decks that can roll out enough damage to oneshot Maz, and I feel like if that's an option, you really want to take that. If you can squish her before she gets second chance, even better

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Benthalus posted:

Edit: Never mind I need to read more.

As a question, what cards are people usually playing on Premonitions? Seeing how well ePalp is doing, I'm wondering if including Premonitions in my Luke/Maz deck would be a worthwhile counter to steal their Rise Again, yet still be able to use it for my own upgrades if the opponent doesn't run it.

Do it with Noble Sacrifice as a trap, so Palp steals it and dies

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yes, there will certainly be a red Luke too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

eLuke Max all day err day

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Two local stores had store champs today too. I couldn't go, but the top decks were:
ePhasma/Bala/Trooper
ePoe/eMaz
Unkar/Nines/Royal Guard
eVader/Raider

They guys who were there said that 10 players out of 30 had either Poe/Maz or ePalp.

The other store (with, candidly, a less skilled player base) had these in their top 4:
ePalp
eJango/eFN2199
eVader/Raider
eLuke/Maz

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/16/empire-at-war/

Daggum Mace Windu and Master of the Council :stare:

Mace Windu is going to be the chase legendary of this cycle. Look at those damage sides!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Merauder posted:

Apprentice Darth Vader / Kylo Ren is a great, strong deck that isn't utter poison to play with/against (see: Poe/Maz).

Another great high performing deck is Unkar Plutt / FN-2199 / Stormtrooper. Much more dynamic deck than the former (which is mostly just aggro hitting stuff).

Baby Anakin and Kylo have the advantage also of not costing a fortune to buy the cards for

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

EaW spoilers make Poe/Maz even better, with no real answer to them yet. Lukas said the new set was all about aggression. Joy.

http://imgur.com/a/0BxIp

Yeah.

Honorable mention:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I guess a new FAQ went up on an Italian site and was immediately pulled, but here's the translation:

Fast Hands = yellow character only.
Ammo Belt = weapons only.
Shields = other effects that block damage (Force Illusion, Armor Plating, etc) can be used before OR after using shields to block damage. Not sure that wasn't already played that way, but it clarifies that shields and other blocking effects resolve simultaneously, so you can choose the order, if it matters.
When two effects trigger simultaneously, and each are controlled by opposing players, whoever controls the battlefield determines the resolution order. (Think Tusken activating, which triggers his ability and Jango simultaneously)
When an attachment is "moved" the associated die goes back to the card.
Surgical Strike = You cannot remove 0 dice to remove a support that costs 1.
Qui-Gon Jinn = When QGJ has the maximum of shields, you can still use his ability and remove 1 shield before getting new shields.
One with the Force = When it becomes a support, the die goes back to the card.
Training = When Training is discarded, the controller of that character determines which die is removed.
Carbon Freezing Chamber = you can choose a die that is not in the pool.
Force Illusion = You can use shields or FI in whichever order you want (as stated above)
My Ally is the Force = You can turn a die showing focus to another side of the same die.
Ventress = clarified to specify that she makes you discard 2 total cards, not a different, single card.
Cargo Hold = You can ignore game restrictions when move an upgrade

https://www.reddit.com/r/swdestiny/comments/6luqjv/goodbye_ammo_beltsc_loop_and_poe_with_fh_new/

Interesting clarification about how when cards move (or become supports like OWTF), the die leaves the pool and goes back onto the card.
The fast hands errata affects Poe/Maz and Vader/Raider in a pretty big way.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Are they even playtesting this? I'm becoming more and more pessimistic for the long term health of this game, and wondering it's all going to be worthless in a few years like the Decipher CCG.
There's inability to fill demand for sealed product, really questionable cards, and half the hall of fame of top meta decks are incredibly oppressive to play against.

Jango/Veers could pretty reliably kill characters in 2-3 turns, frustratingly leaving the other player unable to manipulate dice.
Hyperloop was, well, hyperloop. Wasn't the winning-est thing, but would completely ruin your day if you're forced to play against it.
That morphed into Poe/Maz which is the most obnoxious thing ever. It makes you feel like you're being goldfished because very few of your choices matter.

This game is really fun but man oh man the top meta tournament stuff is very un-fun.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/7/sleight-of-hand/

Looks like it's official.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Errata for balance, in 2 sets from launch.
There are 3 straight up balance errata (hyperspace jump, fast hands, ammo belt), and I'd count the Outer Rim Smuggler card errata as just poor wording to get an infinite resource loop.

Contrast that to X-Wing, which has been running for 4 years now. There are a bunch of errata'd cards, but most of them are just errata'ed from dumb wording or to be consistent with rules language from later sets.

The balance errata are pretty few, total of 10. (cluster mines, decloaking rules, red move when stressed, deadeye, Palpatine, heavy scyk title, tactician, TIE /x7, Zuckuss, Manaroo). And 8 of those happened within the last year (all but decloaking rules and tactician) due to releasing some expansions that screwed up the balance big time.

I understand there's a lot more content that comes out in a card set with 160 cards, but man, at this rate it's going to be a big mess of errata a few cycles in.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Hera is cool as hell.

Hera looks really slick with a Quadjumper.
Reckless Reentry looks really great with the Millennium Falcon/Ghost/U-Wing, as they have no blank sides.

Hera with Quadjumper and either Falcon/U-Wing in hand could drop one of the latter into the game off a special for just 2 resources, nice.

With all the new vehicle stuff, I wonder if we see Veers again.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Communities vary, even within communities!
About half the players here are players who also play X-Wing and know each other from that, and the other half are MtG grinders who also all know each other already and are not interested in growing the community.

They've even named their clique :rolleyes:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

I find it intimidating to play otherwise I'd go to tourneys. That said I have a bunch of repeats and cards I don't need from this booster box so I kinda wanna network and trade some away :(.

Is there a online resource for trading?

There is a facebook trading group that's OK.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/StarWarsDestinyMarket/

You might check your local area to see if there's a facebook trading group too (there's one in mine for all star wars games, X-Wing, IA, Destiny, etc.)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

cool thanks for the lists and suc hguys.

forced my girlfriend to play with me last night using the startes (I don't even wanna touch this pile of new cards yet haha). was fun.

I was looking up some decks on SwDestinyb or w/e it's called to see what I can incorporate my cards with, didn't really see any of the characters that i'd like to play because they have cool art :shrug: . Relaly want to use this Grievous and Jabba as a team :getin:

Also was surprised to not see many decks with Luke in them!

That said, if anyone has a Force Choke and another grievous they're looking to trade away let me know and what you want.

You're in luck, because Grievous goes real cheap on the secondary market.
http://www.thechancecube.com/card-price-watch/
This site does a weekly update pulling in card prices from online retailers to serve as a sort of price guide. You can frequently find Grievous for $3 or so.

Luke has good damage sides and a good ability, you sometimes see him with Rey. I expect Luke will get better if a new and better buddy gets released for him, or if monoblue stuff gets a deeper card pool

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hauki posted:

It's kinda mind boggling to me that they decided not to do any live coverage of one of their biggest tournaments to date

Didn't want to shell out the $4k for an internet connection that the venue wanted, I bet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hauki posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff I'm excited to try even if it doesn't really pan out. I guess my lgs still has a 1 box per person limit at the moment, so my gf and I are gonna go pick one up each in the morning and I'll probably try to get another tomorrow night.

Yeah, my LGS has no such limit. They got a literal pallet of it, 20 cases I think? 6 boxes per case.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Quidthulhu posted:

Picked up the 2-player box this weekend and ran through the game with a friend and man, is it fun and do I wanna do some deckbuilding. I guess my local FLGS has a regular Destiny group that plays on Tuesday nights which is even more awesome!

What's the best way to get my card pool up? I know a 2nd core box of the 2-player is a good call, but after that, I'm assuming Booster Box + prayer? How much do I need to branch out from the new expac into the older two for cardpool?

And is there a deckbuilding database like some of the other CCG/LCGs?

Thanks for fielding the newbie questions I'm sure have been answered a bunch~

http://swdestinydb.com/

As far as acquiring cards, I think the best strategy is to crack open a box or two, see what you like inside it, and trade away the other stuff to complete a deck.
http://www.thechancecube.com/pricewatch/
Looking at the prices, your highest EV in a box right now is with the most current set, Empire at War. If you grab a box or two of that, you're going to have no problem trading away the stuff you don't want to keep for older stuff that you do want.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/8/swd-what-lies-ahead/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/8/galactic-qualifiers/

Rotation is in. Three formats, Standard, Trilogy, and Infinite.
Trilogy looks like a nice format for someone like me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

At $25/head everyone should be walking away with something, and the winner definitely should have gotten something. A box or something, seeing as though they pulled in $400 in entry fees.

You should never play at that store again.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So, some feedback from the people who drafted last week (sounds like they all had a great time)
They said that drafting a decent character is really, really important, and that's what really moves the needle on a deck. Also, mill decks are super good in draft format.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Could be worse, someone put together a Palpatine/Ezra deck :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

uncle blog posted:

The game seems to be having a small resurgence in our community as well. Seems there is some hype brewing with the impending release of Convergence. Team Covenant have been putting out tons of videos showing of some of the new cards in play. Many of us are excited about the game having its first ever rotation. In general, people seem to think that the second cycle being much better designed than the first one. So now we will get rid of the underpowered characters and broken event cards from the first sets, and have a game that's better than ever, mechanically speaking. Seems to be a great point to jump [back] in.

I haven't been playing or keeping up with Destiny, but I was talking to some players at the System Open last month. They were telling me the same thing. Specifically, that Spirit of Rebellion was so badly designed and full of way too powerful cards that warped the game (Force Speed lol). They said they knew of a few people who were waiting to get back into the competitive scene once SOR rotated out.

On the other hand, FFG doesn't have a great record of games staying healthy with rotations. That appears to be changing now that their biggest one, X-Wing, is using a rotation format (Hyperspace) for more of their premier events going forward.