Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ShowTime posted:

Set looks good. 160 cards is crazy, but I like that they are pushing out a ton of cards right away to build up the card pool. I'm guessing there will be another 17-18 legendary cards. I'm wondering if there will be starters as well.

Doubt there will be starters, since it says specifically booster packs. e/Palp is balls awesome. I like the idea of going full glass cannon with him. It will be really interesting to see how it fares against various archetypes. This game is only going to get faster with a wider card pool. FFG will have to be really good about balancing things like aggro vs control or they'll end up in a Hearthstone situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

gently caress that Maz should be blue she knows what's up

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You paid $216 for an $85 MSRP box? JFC.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

what do you expect from a player base that will fork over $6 a pack because they have no patience?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder how soon we'll see the next Vader with a different sub title like they do in AGoT. Seems like the cast will get a bit thin after maybe even the next set, when normies are going to wonder why they are buying boxes of cards to get a legendary ewok x-wing pilot or something similarly EU

What? Do you really think there aren't a poo poo ton of great characters from the Star Wars movies to print and that they'll run out after two sets?

Also, this is approaching Nintendo levels of production incompetency. Get your poo poo together FFG.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That normies care about? No?

Bunch of things because this is such a weird thing to be concerned about

1 - yes, there are a fuckload of characters that everyone knows without even dipping into the EU. More than any other large property probably, and Star Wars is the most popular IP on the planet. Just in the mainline, not books or EU material, we have 8 movies and two very successful animated series worth of material.

2 - the characters don't have to all be named. People will love getting different types of storm troopers and other non uniques to mix in with their favorite characters, which works great in FFG's other games too.

3 - if you're playing a loving CCG you're not a "normie"

4 - only a small portion of the card pool has to be characters in the first place, so they can spread them out for years before having to rely on alternate versions (which aren't bad anyways). They have vehicles, weapons, powers, support characters, etc.

5 - there are more movies coming out literally every year for the foreseeable future that will continue to introduce new characters

So yes, I think we'll see variations on some big characters soon, but not because they've exhausted all possible characters that people would care about as you said. They'll do it for the same reason they do it in AGoT, to give players different ways to use their favorite characters in different decks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If the next set or two don't let me make an R2-D2/C-3P0 deck I'm out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I want a Y-Wing bombing run card that spreads damage and takes control of the battlefield.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Think you got the last two haha

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

This whole unavailable Awakenings debacle makes me wonder how bad that Amazon mistake was. Potentially thousands of extra boxes were shipped to customers. Who knows how wide spread that issue was. There were some people that got up to 10 boxes that should have been booster packs. Tons of people got 3 boxes, because they were sold in sets of 3 at a limit of 3 per customer. I can't imagine how many people who never said anything or posted anything and just pocketed their extra product. I'm wondering if they made enough to last for a long time and that stock got massively depleted by an Amazon mistake.

That would be an incredible error, enough that I would think FFG would take action or stop selling through Amazon. Were the box/pack mix ups sold directly by Amazon, or a 3rd party fulfilled by Amazon?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Buying different stock as a physical store is one thing, but buying separate stock as an online retailer and selling singles when you haven't even fulfilled your preorders (and have no idea when you can) is lovely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm kind of curious how much store credit one of those boardgamebliss boxes turns into at cool stuff inc at their buy rates..

Even counting the bonus you get for going store credit at CSI you're better off selling singles on ebay/facebook at the moment.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

It feels a lot meaner (in the spirit of the game, not in real-life terms) to force them to reroll a good result into something potentially worse. It's also a game store setting, usually, and I'd rather make the least possible amount of contact with another person and things they touched.

Both of these are absolutely true.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The problem with any limited format for this game is that it would have to include some type of character base, since you can open an entire case and not have enough characters/die to build a full deck. The LCG's use something similar with "draft starter packs" but that makes the whole thing prohibitively expensive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeeeeah, I can't believe they didn't have the foresight to make Falcon effect exile afterwards. That's some amateur hour design.

Also can't believe they still haven't said anything about supply shortages and the rumors that it's not getting further print runs after this stocking. Tons of money being lost and player base dwindling :(. Should have stuck to the LCG model.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 26, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm sure they will print more later this year. If they can sell out boxes in 2 hours, why wouldn't they? What would be their business motivation? They don't make a profit on the third party prices or the scarcity of boxes right now. I expect that Awakenings will reprinted for at least one year from it's launch.

I also think that singles prices will come waaaay down once they do another big reprint. Worlds will have come and go and a lot of Legendaries and rares will be deemed as non-competitive. The 6/90 ratio of legendaries to dollars from boxes also suggests the prices are massively inflated due to scarcity.

The time between a launch and the first big wave of expansions is always the worst, anyways. People morbidly depressed about House Baratheon for months, etc.

No one is saying they're just stopping for *reasons*, but that they physically can't print more fast enough because of production issues and factory schedules. If they can't fix those problems in a timely manner then the game is going to be seriously hurt (if not already).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

K2SO and a non-unique villain version should both happen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Team Covenant are kinda poo poo heads for being so connected with FFG while having the highest prices around for their product. gently caress their smug branding, I'm not paying $20+ more for something just because it's hard to find right now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, all of their subscriptions are a loving rip-off. Everything they sell is basically. You can still make profit flipping Destiny boxes, but that's only because the market is so starved and prices are inflated. If FFG ever gets on top of production, Covenants prices will be a joke. $120 bucks for what other stores are selling for <$90 shipped is laughable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've just always been rubbed wrong by their "we're so slick so you can pay the premium for our Brand TM" style, and this is just an extension of that. Their saga sets also pissed me off since they said it includes a playset of the entire set (1 of each legendary) but I had to go through 3 channels of support to get confirmation that it doesn't include starter cards. Literally every other big online retailer is a better choice for FFG product.

MSRP is $106 so I don't see how $106.99 is actually a little lower than MSRP.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 30, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Merauder posted:

I mean... the math on MSRP is right above your post, so

Not sure what to tell you.

How is $106.99 "actually a bit lower" than $106.99?

MSRP for a display box is not the same as adding up 36 individual boosters, so

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Calling an all-around deck "real" is pretty dumb and underestimates the effectiveness of things like hyper aggro. You're talking about a well rounded deck, which is called mid-range. Combo, aggro, or control decks can all be just as "real" and the game is still so new that we have no data on the meta or how archetypes will shake out. And Rey is completely fine as is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Design wise I think they've done a great job with the first set of making most cards viable for some type of deck or character combo. There are very few cards that feel unplayable. The deck size and affinities limits decisions a big, but not in a bad way. If they keep up the power curve and overall usability of cards this game can have a long life of fun deckbuilding and a deep meta, not to mention the room they have for lots of new mechanics and interaction thanks to the nature of the design and dice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

I've been experimenting more with mono-blue villainy and finding I might actually think that eKylo/Vader has legs; it's not amazing, but I don't think it's complete crap, either. eKylo/eDooku just doesn't have the same gas in it, to me. Also? I think that FFG has to be incredibly careful about printing Hero uniques who can be played at <=10 points, because Luke Skywalker is really good. I've been on a tear with a mono-blue Hero deck (eLuke/Rey) that I mostly made as a joke and it's just been slaying some people. His ability lets you go and get at the very least a reroll, and sometimes will grab you something game-changing like All In. He's got 12 HP and monster die faces, including a valuable Focus side and a 3 damage side that doesn't cost any money. He's cheaper to play than Vader is and is, in my estimation, better.

That said, I still want to try for an eLuke/Ackbar setup at the next tournament, and I'm still working out what to include. eHan/eRey remains an effective deck and it's really fun, but with everyone teching for ranged damage I'm kind of excited to show someone exactly what All In can do with an eLuke and his lightsaber equipped.

I think eKylo/Vader is 1 or 2 cards from being really solid. The next set will hopefully round it out nicely.

Speaking of the next set, I hope we get some more cheap non-uniques so we can run a big squad of different storm troopers. That vs Palpatine will be really interesting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Looks like SoR set is going to have poo poo availability as well. CSI isn't doing any preorders.

quote:

Unfortunately yes due to heavy allocations we had with the first set we're unable to offer preorders for any of the upcoming set.

The fact that even the starter sets are nowhere to be found this late into the first set's release is nothing short of pathetic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No, it's pretty damning that all distributors have told retail locations that allotment will be limited and unpredictable. Can't find the thread right now but that was the story from multiple sources.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Titling the card Darth Vader but having the artwork show emo Anakin feels so loving wrong. Bleh.

Rise Again is crazy good, 5 cost is right or maybe even cheap depending on what kind of resource generation blue gets later on.

Obi looks great at elite, expensive at non-elite.

Freezing Chamber is a good battleground, but can really screw you as well.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 7, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Play online via Skype or TTS. TTS is especially good for testing stuff you don't have.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well yeah, FFG will continue making it as long as their stock literally sells out instantly, but if they don't dramatically improve supply levels the game will remain a very small, very expensive niche game that can't grow because there is nothing for new players to buy. If they made 10x the initial run the game would still likely be selling out but the player base would be 2-3x larger and the second hand market wouldn't be ridiculous.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I avoided getting into Star Wars Destiny because I was worried it wouldn't have much lasting potential. Does this seem to be the case, or is it picking up steam?

You literally can't pick up the game unless you want to pay insane prices. There is zero stock of stuff, and not because of it being a huge game. They made so little of it and can't produce more in a timely manner, so the scene is small and stagnant. Play online or print a proxy set. The game is good but FFG sucks at production.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Man, this is the opposite of what they should have announced. They should have come out and been clear that they were ramping up production a lot to meet demand. loving hell FFG, do you hate money?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bowmore posted:

it's hard to get the first set of this stupid game

It's impossible unless you want to spend close to $1000 now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Well if you are ever planning on doing it, right now might be the cheapest it will ever be. If the games popularity continues to rise, so will the demand for cards. You could see prices going up quite a bit for certain very in demand cards. Holdout Blaster could very well eventually be a $30 card, even if that is several months from now.

Or the game gets very unpopular and all cards aren't worth poo poo any more.

It's almost guaranteed that either one of those options will eventually happen. Just which one?

It probably depends a lot on if the core set rotation makes past core sets non-tournament "legal". Even in small games like this, that would tank the second hand market.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Basically everything about this game is awful except for the game itself. :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Assuming FFG keeps the Star Wars license. Weren't there a lot of issues with them and Disney this past year?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The meta actually seems pretty diverse from reports here and other forums, especially for how small the community and release card pool is, but we don't really have regional/national statistics to back that up. Worlds will be interesting if for no other reason than seeing what decks people run and what ends up winning.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Word is that in FFG's presentation at GAMA trade show in Vegas today, they said the "limited" reprint of Awakenings does not mean a "small" reprint of Awakenings, and they are printing enough that they expect it to be in stock for a while.
Hang in there, dudes.

Holy gently caress, why are FFG so bad at communicating with their player base? If they had just said that in the article all the gloom and doom would never have come to light like it did. Even calling it limited is the opposite of what they're now saying. :psyduck:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Force Speed is dummmmmmb. Action stacking is getting kinda nuts already. Combined with Planned Explosion this might create some serious issues. The fact that your die faces don't matter and the other person potentially having no actions to respond to the stacking before losing pretty much any character immediately is going to make Han/Rey decks loving nuts. Part of the genius of this game is the back and forth nature, but they're already being really aggressive with allowing easy ways to go against that design pillar. The best analogy I can think of is land destruction in MtG and how WotC learned quickly how much that can gently caress up the game for the other player.

And WHY the gently caress is Planned Explosion 0 cost?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 26, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The dice are actually pretty non-offensive compared to something like Hearthstone, and overall Destiny still compares pretty favorably to MtG randomness. The smaller decks, ease of drawing through most of it, and ability to alter your dice through various mechanics means the RNG is much less deterministic than it could be. Sure, a game can still come down to a dice roll, but no more often than other games come down to a top deck or bad land draw, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So, Hyperloop + Planetary Uprising sure is a thing. A broken mess of a thing.