Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Panzeh posted:

There's a good classic Rutger Hauer film Flesh+Blood which was verhoeven and european as gently caress.

Yes, Flesh + Blood is a fantastic 80s adventure film and one of my favorite movies out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
peter weller told a story once about how paul verhoven would physically fight him on set, just because he's paul verhoeven and not necessarily in a good mood

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I saw Peter Weller speak before a screening of Robocop where he said "Before you ask, it was 55 pounds."

The moderator blurted out "AROUND?" which got a chuckle out of me but clearly confused the hell out of Weller.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In the original movie Robocop never overcomes his programming and instead needs permission to blow the real bad guy away.

Also when he discovers his humanity he becomes more violent and starts killing creeps instead of arresting them.

It rules.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I appreciate Paul Verhoeven.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

In the original movie Robocop never overcomes his programming and instead needs permission to blow the real bad guy away.

Also when he discovers his humanity he becomes more violent and starts killing creeps instead of arresting them.

It rules.

This guy gets it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"one man's fascism is another man's patriotism" -current day hollywood idiot trying to justify a remake of Starship Troopers. i wish i were making that quote up

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I watched Starship Troopers and Robocop again back to back the other day. I remember I watched them 15 years ago or so last time and they seemed like an outdated vision of the future, kind of like Lawnmower Man. But when I watch them today suddenly they seem to have been totally on the nose.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

I watched Starship Troopers and Robocop again back to back the other day. I remember I watched them 15 years ago or so last time and they seemed like an outdated vision of the future, kind of like Lawnmower Man. But when I watch them today suddenly they seem to have been totally on the nose.

Starship Troopers had the bad fortune to be released in '97. If it came out in 2004, critics would be falling over themselves to slob its knob and compare it to the US reaction to 9/11 and subsequent pretext invasion of Iraq.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Arc Light posted:

Starship Troopers had the bad fortune to be released in '97. If it came out in 2004, critics would be falling over themselves to slob its knob and compare it to the US reaction to 9/11 and subsequent pretext invasion of Iraq.

The fact that it came out beforehand makes it so much better. It is so prescient because all it did was look at America and hold up a mirror before anything bad happened.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The guy who directed Robocop 2 did a good job of emulating Verhoven despite some script problems, imo.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Why was Robocop that weird shade of blue in Robocop 2??

I saw that movie when I was way too young to see it, and it scared the gently caress out of me because the kid in the movie dies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PinkoBastard posted:

I saw that movie when I was way too young to see it, and it scared the gently caress out of me because the kid in the movie dies.

That kid was a drug dealer, drug user, and kills people.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

That kid was a drug dealer, drug user, and kills people.

I didn't say he was a good kid. It was still pretty intense to see a child's death in a movie at that point in my life

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

The guy who directed Robocop 2 did a good job of emulating Verhoven despite some script problems, imo.

Irvin Kershner, iirc it was the last movie he directed.

The thing that bugged me about robocop 2 was how he tries to reconnect with his family/his humanity but they don't go anywhere with it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I saw Robocop when I was 11 and it fuckin ruled

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shbobdb posted:

The fact that it came out beforehand makes it so much better. It is so prescient because all it did was look at America and hold up a mirror before anything bad happened.

Well, I mean...Vietnam...

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well, I mean...Vietnam...

In 1997?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I love and totally get Robocop and Starship Troopers more than anything, really like Total Recall, but I don't know quite what to make of showgirls.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Showgirls is good. It just that the special effects don't matter as much since it is set in the "present".

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
could someone plz explain how/why Showgirls is good?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Delthalaz posted:

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

If you want to witness overacting at its finest, look no further than Elizabeth Berkley's performance in Showgirls.
The sex scene in the pool is especially hilarious

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

get that OUT of my face posted:

"one man's fascism is another man's patriotism" -current day hollywood idiot trying to justify a remake of Starship Troopers. i wish i were making that quote up

Trump gonna lead us against the bugs

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Delthalaz posted:

It's a movie that embraces the things American tastemakers are too stuck up to appreciate (hamburgers, movie boobs) and is scathing in it's rebuke to the things they perpetuate (the lie of The American Dream). It's intense and sincere to the point that people read it as camp, but it's so much more.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Starship Troopers deserves the praise it gets now as satire, but I kind of don't actually like watching it. I think it's because there is nobody to root for except the bugs, and they are still gross and terrifying.

Total Recall is probably my favorite. It's kind of a perfect 1980s Arnold hard-R rated action movie, but with just a little bit more going on to keep it interesting.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Delthalaz posted:

You tune in for the tiddies but stay for a pretty good flick. It had pretty interesting rivalry elements ala Black Swan, but instead of grimdark style of 2000s they are presented in the campy 90s style.

Also lots of nudity so if you get bored of the movie you can just watch the rest of it with your dick out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

Starship Troopers deserves the praise it gets now as satire, but I kind of don't actually like watching it. I think it's because there is nobody to root for except the bugs, and they are still gross and terrifying.

Why would you root for the bugs?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tenzarin posted:

Why would you root for the bugs?

I was half jokong, but the humans are Literally Nazis who likely started the war on a false pretext.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

I was half jokong, but the humans are Literally Nazis who likely started the war on a false pretext.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Those poor Mormon missionaries got used as sacrificial pawns.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Noticed Showgirls is streamable on Showtime.

Trip report: I cannot stress how bad the acting is, but I love titties. What is it about movie boobs that are so much better than internet boobs?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

elle is really loving good and people should watch it

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Delthalaz posted:

It's an extremely cynical take on the "a star is born" trope, and such a vicious takedown of Vegas culture that it inverts itself and works as a send-up of sorts. Some of the acting is atrocious, but a couple of actors are in on the joke, namely Kyle Maclachlan and Gina Gershon. The other actors are horrible to an extent that I fully believe in the theory that Verhoeven casts that way on purpose. Robert Davi puts all his heart into his portrayal of a disgusting man who he tries to play as noble. The "erotic" Vegas productions are amazing, particularly the naked cavemen dancing in front of a volcanic backdrop one. Gina Gershon is incredibly hot in a movie otherwise devoid of real eroticism. Elizabeth Berkeley's seduction of Kyle Maclaclan is a legendary disaster. It's a must-see.

I found Robocop on blu-ray at Goodwill for $5 yesterday, it's the first blu-ray I ever bought.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Filthy Hans posted:

Robert Davi puts all his heart into his portrayal of a disgusting man who he tries to play as noble.

Motherfucker's face is actually smoothing out with age:

And Starship Troopers is a kinda funny sci fi movie, settle down everyone.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

HP Hovercraft posted:

not a single mention of Black Book? what the hell, watch Black Book nerds! it's a great war movie and it's Verhoeven as gently caress. plus it's on Netflix streaming right now!

There is something wrong with the encode or my apple tv. The movie stutters constantly. After 10 minutes I turned it off.

mrlego fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 14, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really wanna see Elle.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Total Recall has my two favourite Arnie puns in:

"See you at the party, Richter!"
and
"You think this is the real quaid? It is!"

I love, love, love Total Recall. And Robocop. And Starship Troopers.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

VideoGames posted:

Total Recall has my two favourite Arnie puns in:

"See you at the party, Richter!"
and
"You think this is the real quaid? It is!"

I love, love, love Total Recall. And Robocop. And Starship Troopers.

Those aren't anywhere close to being puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Pneub posted:

Those aren't anywhere close to being puns.

Correct, the best pun in the movie is "SCREW YOUUUUU"

• Locked thread