Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

My landlady's dog (a ~9 year old golden/lab mix) was attacked by a rottweiler while out on a walk a couple of nights ago. The rottweiler had her own on the ground around the neck, and my landlady twisted her ankle kicking at it trying to get it off before the rottweiler owners managed to come out and get it. Landlady went to the ER for her leg, and the golden is physically okay except for a small wound that we're keeping an eye on and putting Neosporin on. Mentally, the golden has basically become terrified of going outside. We've had multiple people take her out, and she usually sticks very close to the human, sits on their feet, or just 'nope's right back towards home. She is terrified of firecrackers and does the same sort of thing whenever those go off in the neighborhood. I've done some googling on dog phobias and 'superstitions', but most of what I find is about people having phobias and superstitions about dogs.

Does anyone have any advice on how to do deal with this? My landlady also mentioned that she used to listen to a pet advice radio show, and one show dealt with dog 'superstitions'. This is where dogs could become fearful of something, and the fear would grow worse and worse over time. (The example in the radio show was a dog that developed a fear of his water dish after being stung by a bee that had been hiding in it). So there's also the chance that there's a time factor, since the golden's been less willing to go outside and stay outside when we take her. Specifically she seems to want to avoid grass, which is where the attack occurred.

Edit: She's taking the golden to the vet right now to have them look at the wound. Hopefully they'll have some advice on the fear thing.

Edit 2: Back from the vet, they gave her some antibiotics / anti-inflamatories for the dog. They also apparently have a sedative-type effect, so the plan is to give them tot he dog, get her calmed down, and then walk her while she's drugged.

Edit 3: It's about a week later, and things seem to be back to normal. Golden is healing up and no longer afraid of going outside (she actually pawed at the back door to be let out a few minutes ago, but then immediately did a U-turn on hitting the 33 F air). So the drugged walking + time seems to have done the trick.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread