Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
notepad++? more like DOPEpad plus plus :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SpaceClown posted:

notepad++? more like DOPEpad plus plus :grin:

ya it's p dope when u need it

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

carry on then posted:

once i was given a no poo poo 2gb large trace file and notepad++ handled it like a champ

yea it comes in handy when dealing with weird encodings too. so good code editors are no replacement for this tool, friends!! god bless

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
:science: :science: I dont debug, i just keep fuckin codign :science: :science:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm using sublime

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the good thing about notepad++ is that it launches very quickly from the context menu

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bloody posted:

the good thing about notepad++ is that it launches very quickly from the context menu

atom literally slowed down the context menu

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i honestly don't understand how atom isn't completely dead since vscode exists and is better in every possible way

or maybe it is

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

triple sulk posted:

i honestly don't understand how atom isn't completely dead since vscode exists and is better in every possible way

or maybe it is

people love their lovely french text editor

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I remember this

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
vscode

anyway thanks for listening

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

COOL CORN posted:

vscode

anyway thanks for listening

it's pretty good!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hey just an update guys I switched my laptop to Linux so I'm using sublime now thanks again

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

Hey just an update guys I switched my laptop to Linux so I'm using sublime now thanks again

does the sound and ethernet work?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

VS Code works on Linux.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
scite. it's been my one and only editor ever since I found it, over ten years ago (!). I use it on windows, on linux, on mac. back in college we weren't allowed to install anything on the lab machines nor use usb drives so I made a portable version of scite and put it on a floppy disk. I'll sometimes install x11 and gtk on headless linux machines just so I can use it there, too (I've since learned enough vi commands to avoid this. for bigger jobs I'll scp files back and forth). I use the x11 version on mac despite the fact that x apps on mac suck. that's how much I love it

except recently on windows I've switched to notepad++ (which is based on the same editor as scite, scintilla)

it's mind boggling to me that you people would seriously consider using a text editor, of all things, based on node. what the hell is wrong with your brains. what the gently caress. I can't even

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hackbunny posted:

it's mind boggling to me that you people would seriously consider using a text editor, of all things, based on node. what the hell is wrong with your brains. what the gently caress. I can't even

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hackbunny posted:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

As a web developer, using node based editors is bringing the power of emacs and lisp customization to the 21st century. Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
vi

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

atom is a good OS with an ok text editor

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

hackbunny posted:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

VS is the best, op

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

SpaceClown posted:

:science: :science: I dont debug, i just keep fuckin codign :science: :science:
hey i think i've worked with you

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Vs code is good and can pretty print JavaScript out of the box - not something I could ever get sublime to do

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sublime is the best. super fast and handles everything and looks great and very refined. they should actually put some continued development effort into it and drop the price to 20 bucks but it's still the top, regardless.

np++ is the second best, it's fast and light and opens quickly but it feels more hacked together and the dev is a weirdo sexist

haven't really used vs code, it seemed feature-incomplete compared to sublime or np++ last time i used it. might give it another shot.

atom is unbelievably slow laggy poo poo garbage with an actively hostile development community. don't touch it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

haven't really used vs code, it seemed feature-incomplete compared to sublime or np++ last time i used it. might give it another shot.

it's extremely good. there's a ton of extensions and most likely anything you'd want exists at this point, the community around those extensions is vibrant, and accidental regressions have been patched very quickly

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

unfortunately, it is crippled by node, meaning somehow a text editor is a performance tragedy

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

power botton posted:

As a web developer, I

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

vs code also refuses to open files past the 200mb mark, meaning it is inadequate for working with Big Iron

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

unfortunately, it is crippled by node, meaning somehow a text editor is a performance tragedy

it performs just fine. it's not like eclipse or anything

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yeah eclipse is useful lmao.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I don't think its unreasonable to expect a text editor to open in less than five seconds

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

the mistake is treating VS Code as a text editor. it's a mini-IDE.

what use case does that fill? well, you see

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

power botton posted:

as a web "developer," I

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

hackbunny posted:

I use vim on the command line, atom on the desktop

node.js is trash, but I literally don't care about ~bbbb..b..buutt...My RaMs :whitewater:~

Also I don't edit text-editors or write text-editor plugins, so it might as well be written in brainfuck for all I care? Runs fast enough for me, highlights the newest versions of languages I use, and it's got some p. good plugins

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 9, 2017

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
lol you have a 21st century computer, who cares what language your ~text editor~ is written in

like what kind of packard bell 486 nonsense do you have to be using to have sublime take 5 whole seconds to start up?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

which makes it all the more amazing that i've never seen atom take less than 5 seconds to start up on any computer

what does a text editor need with a web browser?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

its me, the terrible programmer who opens and closes his text editor repeatedly just to see how long it takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i just timed visual studio chode on opening a 3 kilobyte text file. took eight seconds

gvim took five, but also ran it through two slow as balls linting compiling plugins

np++ took two

notepad took 300 milliseconds

• Locked thread