Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lebrons-business-partner-strikes-back-at-phil-jackson-over-posse-remark-041501487.html

quote:

When LeBron was playing with the Heat, they went to Cleveland and he wanted to spend the night. They don’t do overnights. Teams just don’t. So now (coach Erik) Spoelstra has to text Riley and say, ‘What do I do in this situation?’ And Pat, who has iron-fist rules, answers, ‘You are on the plane, you are with this team.’ You can’t hold up the whole team because you and your mom and your posse want to spend an extra night in Cleveland.

https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/798567609633533953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

rkajdi posted:

Agreed. I have a lot less respect for civil liberties as they are defined, since they often are stilted so that the neutral position is incredibly regressive by default. And again, I don't see why entrusting anything to the hoi polloi without a democratic check seems like a good idea after we just saw how that resulted.

A jury is the democratic check you fuckwit.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

rkajdi posted:

No they aren't. It's only 12 people, and the lawyers immediately select out people who feel strongly about the issue or are similar to either side. It's the shittiest form of democracy, where anyone with an actual dog in the fight (or at least the ones who don't lie) or a level of education on the issue is selected out. Qualified professionals elected would do a better job by a long site.

I think the difference is I have zero faith in the average American to do anything other than gently caress things up when left to their own devices. So you don't give them the power where a single unpredictable person gets that much control over the government. We do this all the time with checks and balances in the government, so I don't understand why giving that much control to a rando with no checks is a good idea.

That bit about "lawyers selecting people out" is in fact a case of the "qualified professionals" being given extra power in the process. So I agree, more democracy would be good.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

stone cold posted:

Your math, like your ideas, is bad.

I don't see any math in that post, unless you are questioning the numbers themselves. Do have better figures on the IWW's historical membership totals, or how many people identified as Bolshevik's?

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Thug Lessons posted:

That should have been 12% of US industrial workers, (though admittedly not all at one time), and estimates of Bolshevik membership in February 1917 range from 20k-30k. Obviously those rose massively, especially following the July Days, but that's exactly my point!

stone cold posted:

IWW at its peak in 1917 totalled 150,000 members which is not 12% of the 1917 US population.

12% did seem high to me, thanks for the clarification.

• Locked thread