Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Listen, it's simple:

where's wegmans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OneEightHundred posted:

B&N actually got into e-commerce early and was one of the better sites selling books, or anything, online for a while and was a serious competitor to Amazon. If you compare their sites circa 2000, they were basically the same as Amazon.

The problem is Amazon diversified and is barely even remembered as the company that was once mainly a book store, meanwhile the changes in B&N's e-commerce can be summed up as ditching software, and adding toys/collectibles. Their music section still only sells physical.

B&N probably can't turn into a department store, which is what "going full Amazon" would really mean in practice.

Barnes and Noble diversified in the late 90s.

They bought a bunch of electronics and video game chains and merged them together.

It was called GameStop.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Wait, you can buy beer at a pharmacy in the US?

Like everything in the US, it depends on the state.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crow Jane posted:

Even on the city or town. The Rite Aid by me sells all sorts of booze, but it's the only one in the area that does, because liquor licenses come with the address here (and are otherwise difficult to acquire) and I think the space was a bar at some point. The new owners decided to keep it going, because there are a lot of drunks in the area and they smelled revenue.

In Massachusetts there's a super low cap of liquor licenses per owner (like 5 total), so most chain stores don't have alcohol.

Wegmans does, but Wegmans 9nly has a handful of stores

It's a real boom for standalone liquor stores though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Any shitheap that calls itself an outer ring suburb definitely isn't a city. Also yeah pretty much nowhere under 100k even begins to count unless it's some poo poo like you're Iceland and 100k people means 1/3 of your whole country. People from the upjumped suburban sprawl of America kinda need to accept that it's not impressive that you have both an Arby's AND a Subway AND a local theater troupe who plays one weekend a month in the high school gym, you know?

It's a tiny bit of farmland that's almost entirely owned by a university. It's thus not a bunch of available leased farmland someone's going to go around.

But yeah Madison's a shitheap like the rest of its whole area. Ruled by the ham sandwich golem the Kochs anointed.

generally the statutory legal concept of city is related to the incorporation of an administrative division in a state or province; it is highly dependent on the area of incorporation and the amount of responsibilities and governing authority and not necessarily population dependent

this is entirely separate from whatever colloquial definition of a city that you've cooked up

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Re: whatever garbage suburb you're trying to defend:

Stacking some people together doesn't make you a city, and merely being incorporated really doesn't - for instance Canada often just requires that you have a few thousand people across the area in question to have "city" status while the residents are well aware they aren't living in a city.

Boston is a garbage suburb?

Wow that's harsh.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

All food is made up of atoms, doesn't matter if it's normal fast food or holier than thou "home cooked" food, the atoms are all the same. You can't say some atoms are better for you than others, it's all atoms when you think about it.

Unstable atoms that emit radiation are bad for you

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

poopinmymouth posted:

You are so bad at this, lmao (and completely wrong, still)

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/about-our-food/nutrition-calculator.html

FRENCH FRIES
Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt. *Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.

soooooo trace amounts of flavoring and a food color preservative

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hand Row posted:

It's a merchant fee, that's why some places are cash only.

or they cheat on their taxes

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kefkafloyd posted:

New England has D'Angelo's. But you can also get grinders at pretty much any pizza shop.

d'angelos is just the lovely subs that papa ginos makes which is like a knockoff papa johns

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

This sounds like what General Mills or Quaker Oats did back in the 70s and 80s. I believe one of them (or maybe both) had a video game division and some other non-food holdings back them.

Quaker owned Fisher Price and some small video game company.

GM owned Play Doh, Parker Brothers, and had a holding company for chain restaurants (Olive Garden and Red Lobster being the more notable brands).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still think Bain probably just hastened the inevitable; TRU was a big thing when you could only reliably find All The Toys there, nowadays, well, you have Amazon.

The entire reason they were bought out by private equity firms is because Wal Mart ate into their market share and they had to declare bankruptcy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Because banks tried to introduce that back about ~5 years ago and it didn't catch on. My banks for instance issued me new cards with the tap stuff added in that time frame and then both sent me replacements without it a few years later without explanation.

I had an NFC card back in like 2008 or something

Only the CVS in the mall could take it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

gaj70 posted:

We're more trustworthy so a mere signature is enough...

In practice, it's probably mostly inertia :and transition costs:

in the northeast almost all places are now using chip cards especially all the big chains

not sure about elsewhere

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Also, what I discovered one time is that if you pre-auth $20 to obtain $20 of gas, the last 2 litres or so dribble out like a 90-year-old's pissstream because gently caress forbid you get 3 cents worth of free gas.

it's a consequence of not under dampening the feedback loop in the control system, which is the right call from a maintenance and safety perspective

Electrical control responses aren't instantaneous (to do so would require an infinite number, of data measurements, which is impossible practically) so you get an approximation

one of the consequences of using an approximation is that there can be ripple on the control signal if the feedback loop is under damped, which is going to be manifesting itself in inconsistent pumprates and overshoot where why it would give you that extra 3 cents of gas, the pump would kind of either not work or possibly turn into a vacuum and get hosed up

so the better way to approach it would be to ideally critical damp the feedback or underdamp it, which will still have the same behavior you're describing in your post, but without the ability to overshoot or ripple

note this is only going to really affect the prepaid amount, since that needs to have a pid controller to autonomously work, switching off from a full tank is pretty much a mechanical sensor that gets triggered when the tank is fill and bypasses the control loop entirely

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BrandorKP posted:

Businesses are just systems. The flows in systems are controllable with feedback.

Here's another way to put it, a simple control works like a wall air conditioner. Get above the set point it flips on until the room has cooled below the set point. This produces a boxy looking wave around the set point. This is equivalent to letting inequality get so bad the population gets the friend of the forum out the guillotine.

In the trade thread Willie brought up the Dengist chinese use of institutionalized corruption to control capitalism, this is like slapping an orifice in a pipe to reduce its flow. Eventually that's going to stop working for them.

What we need is a properly damped control.

the term you're looking for is hysteresis

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

The truly insidious thing is their AmazonBasics stuff. Amazon has all the data in the world to know what products are selling and what kind of money their marketplace sellers are making. Once Amazon sees a product is doing gangbusters on their site they go up to the OEM supplier and have the same thing made up with an AmazonBasics label. They then start selling that product on their site with premium search placement and drive the other product either out of business or much lower on the rankings.

are you new to white label stuff or what

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sitchensis posted:

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Tears for Sears

This is good

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

And that's just fine. The immoral thing would be Trader Joe's selling other products and then using that sales data to create and sell their own, identical products while hiding the originals in a box labeled "ROTTEN FRUIT".

Good thing that Trader Joe's is an eclectic boutique grocery instead of being part of some gigantic international grocery conglomerate taking in some 50 billion euros of revenue

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

It has an advantage in that it's probably hitting like 50% of electronic retail sales these days

but at the same time, Wal Mart probably has about a 25% overall retail share and Amazon is somewhere around 5 or 6%

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raldikuk posted:

Here is an example or perhaps this product isn't significant enough? Or maybe the company is too big/too small/just right to count? Or maybe a laptop stand isn't considered an invention? I'm curious what your rationalization will be.

they had a design patent and didnt get a utility patent

so yes, it wasnt an invention, just a common application that had protection for the specific ornamental design

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

They're not. Microsoft wasn't (and isn't) a monopoly, either.

Why do you keep saying that I'm doing something that I've never done?

when you draw comparisons to a situation where the US charged Microsoft for acting as a monopoly and violating the Sherman antitrust act, and say "hey this is comparable to AmazonBasics", you may actually be suggesting that Amazon and/or Microsoft to be monopolies

especially considering the case that the courts decided that Microsoft was qctually acting as a monopoly in the case that you brought up

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

I pointed out that Microsoft wasn't a monopoly in the early 2000s but was sued for violating antitrust laws anyway. Microsoft wasn't the sole distributor of software or operating systems, so they weren't an actual monopoly. It helps to illustrate how silly it is to say that everything's fine so long as they're not the sole seller in a market (e.g. an actual monopoly)

Microsoft's operating systems were installed on 90+% of computers when the lawsuits were filed. Apple was sitting somewhere around 4% as the second place OS.

They were absolutely a monopoly and were leveraging that position to push out 3rd party software by pushing their own software as built in installs to Windows.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

Even that was stupid since it turns out when people want an OS, they don't literally just want a bunch of API calls and the barest possible interface, they expect some standard applications to be present. Nobody wants Windows to come without any browser whatsoever, and a standard of "for every program they add themselves, they have to add several competitors to it" would be silly and impractical.

at the time Internet Explorer was a standalone commercial product, and part of the argument against MS that you shouldn't be bundling IE and Windows was that the price of the OS was being inflated to subsidize IE, so why should someone be paying for standalone commercial software that they didnt intend to use when free alternatives exist

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Having their operating system on 90+% of computers means that they were not an actual monopoly

the US justice system and courts disagree

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Please write this on a chalkboard 100 times:

Recall that Microsoft has not ever satisfied the thread's definition of a monopoly but was still busted for having anti-competitive practices that they were forced to give up.

they did however satisfy the conditions for monopoly set forth in the Sherman Anti Trust act per the US DOJ and US federal courts

US DOJ complaint posted:

2.  Microsoft possesses (and for several years has possessed) monopoly power in the market for personal computer operating systems. Microsoft's "Windows" operating systems are used on over 80% of Intel-based PCs, the dominant type of PC in the United States. More than 90% of new Intel-based PCs are shipped with a version of Windows pre-installed. PC manufacturers (often referred to as Original Equipment Manufacturers, or "OEMs") have no commercially reasonable alternative to Microsoft operating systems for the PCs that they distribute.

US District Court findings posted:

33.  Microsoft enjoys so much power in the market for Intel-compatible PC operating systems that if it wished to exercise this power solely in terms of price, it could charge a price for Windows substantially above that which could be charged in a competitive market. Moreover, it could do so for a significant period of time without losing an unacceptable amount of business to competitors. In other words, Microsoft enjoys monopoly power in the relevant market.
34. Viewed together, three main facts indicate that Microsoft enjoys monopoly power. First, Microsoft's share of the market for Intel-compatible PC operating systems is extremely large and stable. Second, Microsoft's dominant market share is protected by a high barrier to entry. Third, and largely as a result of that barrier, Microsoft's customers lack a commercially viable alternative to Windows.

US Court of Appeals, DC Circuit posted:

A. Monopoly Power
While merely possessing monopoly power is not itself an antitrust violation, see Northeastern Tel. Co. v. AT & T, 651 F.2d 76, 84-85 (2d Cir. 1981), it is a necessary element of a monopolization charge, see Grinnell, 384 U.S. at 570. The Supreme Court defines monopoly power as "the power to control prices or exclude competition." United States v. E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., 351 U.S. 377, 391 (1956). More precisely, a firm is a monopolist if it can profitably raise prices substantially above the competitive level. 2A Phillip E. Areeda et al., Antitrust Law p 501, at 85 (1995); cf. Ball Mem'l Hosp., Inc. v. Mut. Hosp. Ins., Inc., 784 F.2d 1325, 1335 (7th Cir. 1986) (defining market power as "the ability to cut back the market's total output and so raise price"). Where evidence indicates that a firm has in fact profitably done so, the existence of monopoly power is clear. See Rebel Oil Co. v. Atl. Richfield Co., 51 F.3d 1421, 1434 (9th Cir. 1995); see also FTC v. Indiana Fed'n of Dentists, 476 U.S. 447, 460-61 (1986) (using direct proof to show market power in Sherman Act 1 unreasonable restraint of trade action). Because such direct proof is only rarely available, courts more typically examine market structure in search of circumstantial evidence of monopoly power. 2A Areeda et al., Antitrust Law p 531a, at 156; see also, e.g., Grinnell, 384 U.S. at 571. Under this structural approach, monopoly power may be inferred from a firm's possession of a dominant share of a relevant market that is protected by entry barriers. See Rebel Oil, 51 F.3d at 1434. "Entry barriers" are factors (such as certain regulatory requirements) that prevent new rivals from timely responding to an increase in price above the competitive level. See S. Pac. Communications Co. v. AT & T, 740 F.2d 980, 1001-02 (D.C. Cir. 1984).
The District Court considered these structural factors and concluded that Microsoft possesses monopoly power in a relevant market. Defining the market as Intel-compatible PC operating systems, the District Court found that Microsoft has a greater than 95% share. It also found the company's market position protected by a substantial entry barrier. Conclusions of Law, at 36.
Microsoft argues that the District Court incorrectly defined the relevant market. It also claims that there is no barrier to entry in that market. Alternatively, Microsoft argues that because the software industry is uniquely dynamic, direct proof, rather than circumstantial evidence, more appropriately indicates whether it possesses monopoly power. Rejecting each argument, we uphold the District Court's finding of monopoly power in its entirety.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 2, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Beachcomber posted:

Yeah, they've been at it for awhile now.

the catholic church is kind of the exact opposite of franchising though

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

This is pretty far off-topic, but can someone explain how homeopathic bullshit became so widespread and acceptable? It's demonstrably worthless and makes claims which can potentially encourage people to choose it over treatments that are actually safe and effective. It seems like an absolutely massive regulatory failure.

in the grand scheme of things homeopathy has been around for millenia and it took well into the 1900s for widespread eclectical medicine to be stopped

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Nah, we know this douchebag invented it in the 1790s and is even to this day revered in the name and practices of several otherwise reputable medical institutions around the world.
Unless you're mistakenly doing what a lot of alt med sellers want you to do, and lumping in general herb poo poo as "homeopathy".

I am being a bit loose with using homeopathy for non scientific medicine. The point still stands. Modern scientific medicine forcing homeopathy its ilk out is still a historically recent phenomena and homeopathy and the such still has managed to maintain a supportive minority in spite of it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shrecknet posted:

I can say confidently that every city I've ever lived in (in America) is definitely not interested in providing anything resembling "a nice place for people to just sit and chill for a minute*"

*except in the lily-whitest suburbs

*looks at Central Park*

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

employees were given a box and told to drop it off at the post office on their way home

cold

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

I had no idea that MMA PVPs were so expensive; it says something about a culture that people will pay that bloody much to see two roided-up rodeo clowns legitimately hurt each other. WWF/E used to have pay-per PVPs, but they never were that much. I'm no longer a subscriber, but I have to admit that WWE network is great value for money. I took the one-month free trial a while back and the amount of content is massive given that WWE has absorbed virtually every other promotion that ever was due to their privileged position, underhanded tactics and the incompetence of their competitors.

right now it costs $65 plus a $5 ESPN+ monthly subscription to watch a UFC PPV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

Never heard of them. Guess that's why they're bankrupt.

they're big in the northeast