Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

anonumos posted:

Let me reiterate. American Christians worship God in strip malls.

Yeah, watching one wing of my local failing mall slowly morph into a church and several subsidiary businesses over the years is wild. Interested to see what Sears shutting down will do to it, but not interested enough to go to the mall.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

How the gently caress is this a thing? It's already criminal for people who need legitimate glasses to be charged that much. But what kind of sadistic lowlives charge that make for glasses that don't do anything?!?!

And this wasn't some unfortunate occurance on my part. I called up three other stores that had similar pricing as well.

WHAT.THE.gently caress.

When I got new glasses I bought them online at Zenni and my parents were straight up shocked they were 30 bucks. First thing my dad, who loses his glasses regularly, did was order three pairs. They might not be beautiful designer frames or anything but this is the first time in my life I have considered buying a pair just for the look and not raw functionally.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Are there any reputable studies that demonstrate the Amazon deal would have been a net benefit for NYC?

It almost certainly would have been a huge net gain, just not for the people who already live there. Amazon has already totally warped Seattle, and not in a way that is beneficial to people who are not servants of Lord Bezos. If I lived in the area Amazon was coming and didn't already have a 100k+ a year job I would be mad too.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Follow up question: why is AOC being blamed for Amazon pulling out? I know she was opposed to it, but it didn't seem like she had much influence since both De Blasio and Cuomo supported the deal.

Yeah, I can't imagine she had anything to do with it other than getting people active and upset in a general way.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Nationalize Star Wars, imo

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Death of Author is one of those things that makes sense, but is so variable that it is inherently unfair. I think that 30 years after initial publication or so would be much preferable. That way you don't have to worry about your family getting screwed out of what they deserve if you die suddenly, but also there is a known end that you can financially plan for no matter what happens.

30 years is a good chunk of the average persons working life time at a job, so that seems like a reasonable benchmark.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I assume that Amazon snapping up the mall locations for practically nothing where possible is a big part. Also most contracts for malls and strip malls require there to be some kind of anchor store, so there are lot of reasons to jam a wasteful Whole Foods in a rotten mall husk.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that they do a similar thing with a lot of breakfast cereals. I've been told by reliable sources that the Raisin Bran (tm) in the big purple box, for example, is the exact same as the raisin bran that comes in a big; the only difference is that the former has a much higher price per ounce.

Oh yeah, this happens all the time. There are other costs associated with these things than just raw production of the items. Raisin Bran has even had TV commercials!

Really though, just buy whatever you like the most. That is the only way to let them know that people want these things. I buy plenty of cereal in the bag because mostly they are the same as the more expensive and I eat it regularly enough to justify the amount.

Sometimes good things go away if people don't support them. :rip: Ovaltine Classic Malt flavor, gone from my region too soon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Y'all dummies must hate all entertainment because it is funded almost entirely by ads. Just television (cable and otherwise) and all search engines and free websites shutting down would result in massive societal change.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Publicly-funded models of entertainment don't exist I scream as I send my hard-earned dollars to Belle Delphine so I can gargle a GamerGirl™'s dirty asswater.

Sure, buddy. :unsmith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Sometimes going out with a good reference is what you need to move on.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Awful CompSloth posted:

The Kmart that I worked at as a teenager in my city closed recently, and the one in the neighboring city before that. Now I'm wondering who the hell let these stories build such big loving parking lots and buildings for these stores and what they're gonna do with them now that they're just giant empty grey buildings. It's bullshit.

Based on the corpse of K-mart in my town be transformed into "luxury" apartments and let chain restaurants claim the parking lots with new buildings .

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

echinopsis posted:

What do you people think about something like a pharmacy? It has a more fundamental reason to exist than a department store.. but.. landscape still changing

People get sick everyday, especially our rapidly decaying Boomer population. Pharmacies are something that when you really need them you need them TODAY and not in a few days shipping time. I wouldn't be surprised if there are less free standing ones over time but when was the last time you went to the grocery store and their was a full Gamestop inside? That is definitely getting to be more common.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, it is a way to incentivize hiring mentally handicapped people. Any business would obviously hire a non mentally handicapped person given the opportunity for identical pay. I think they should definitely be paid more, minimum wage is a minimum for a reason.

I don't think it should be this way, but it isn't all bad. Some people do get a lot out of it. My store gets a lot of autistic kids and their caretakers in all the time, and talking with them after seeing them out working they can be just so happy to be part of normal society.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

now imagine instead of leasing space in a shopping center every half mile for a Gamestop, you built a giant building every half mile. the CVS/Walgreens experience.

At least that way you own some real estate assets instead of nothing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I prefer it because it makes listening a more active experience, rather than just mashing play on a Spotify Playlist.

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 18, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

I don't know if Hungry Man is a good example of "food". It's essentially Bachelor Chow from Futurama (now with flavor!). It's for slobby single men with no one who cares about them in their immediate lives.

And I do mean men. I've never seen a woman buy one. Many of my guy friends otoh.

Devour has taught me you can have Mac and Cheese for dinner every night!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Black Friday is definitely nothing like it was even a few years ago. My store opens early for it and has a huge sale (9 AM what madness), but it is merely a really good day and not a crushing human wave like it used to be.

Online shopping deals are so easy mainly. Sitting in line for hours to get whatever doorbuster deal the big box store loses its magic once people realize it only matters for the first handful. I have never been super excited about buying things I wouldn't normally so most deals are easy to ignore.

The only black Friday deal I ever bought was the PS4 with Spider-Man bundle. I wanted to play Red Dead 2, and figured hey free Spider-Man. I ordered it online, and even picked it up, almost a week before Black Friday even happened too. Thanks Target.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

One of the saddest clear evidence of my local mall rotting away is watching this one unit church thing slowly fill nearly a whole wing with its various related businesses.

That or the first time I noticed one of the long running kiosk stores was now in a normal, nearly empty unit.

They just started tearing it down to build more mixed use housing and light retail just last week. RIP

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Everyone I've talked to that's run a game store has to run it with this same mindset, the store is a storage space for your online business that people can walk into and buy stuff directly from too.

Yeah, the local indie game shop next door to my store does this. It is either that or go out of business, and they are doing well.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Laterite posted:

It does seem very simple to just write zeroes across the ledger.

This.

Switching to a consignment based model is an interesting idea, but if nobody bites you just don't get to have inventory.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

At CVS we couldn't buy eye rinse, but we could buy this:

To be fair, that is a great product

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

People in this thread have a huge problem with the Oreo Dunking Industry. Pretty hosed up that society has lead to this.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Sounds like the military needs to add some non compete clauses in their contracts.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am glad I have fully embraced going digital. Not having to locate a physical object when the whim to play something is a benefit that cannot be overstated. I used to play a lot more video games and the space a collection can take up is definitely not trivial. Collecting and playing video games are two different (if related) hobbies. I just want to play fun games and the second a more convenient option than going to a store and buying something appeared I jumped on.

I still have all my NES and SNES cartridges kicking around in storage out of nostalgia, but I have not needed to use one in over 20 years thanks to emulation.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just lol if your alarm is anything other than the Pillar Men theme from Jojo.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

My ring tone for years was just my brother saying "Ring Ring" in a firm voice. He switched it as a joke, and I kept it because was extremely distinctive.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I just cannot fathom how we teach economic theory based on actors not only having perfect information but also being rational when literally anyone over the age of 6 realizes both of those are bullshit.

Richard Thaler is the prophet you are looking for.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

One of my professors had a huge problem with most scientific research mainly because people don't publish studies where they prove they are wrong very often. Things not being true can be just as important.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

It is the year 2035. Christmas displays are available all year long. The space from January through September is a jumbled celebration of all events. Easter eggs for New Years, American Flag-colored Valentine's cakes.

Chaos reigns.

I embrace our candy oriented future.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Cheesus posted:

I was shocked a few years ago when on a smallish lot they built a standalone Trader Joe's and a standalone Pier1.

As expected, TJ's is always super busy and it seems like even wasting the footprint for the Pier1 building took away valuable TJ parking space.

Trader Joe's actively rejects large parking lots so it's stores can seem busy and vibrant without actually seeming too crowded inside. It is an idea that seems to be working well.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Epitope posted:

Pier 1's greatest achievement, papasan

How to murder an entire quadrant of a room in one easy item!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

WWE is selling out shows, just signed a deal with Fox and has their own streaming platform... why are they in trouble again? The product has been dogshit for years, but the financials are ( :sigh: ) bulletproof.

Stock Prices are on some level a popularity contest. At the end of the day Vince is clearly rolling in that Saudi money, so much so he is still doing those shows even though a lot of fans have a huge problem with them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

^WWE's been slowly adding more MMA fighters to the roster. Last year, they signed Caine Velasquez, just so they could habe him feud with Brock Lesnar. (Velasquez won in Brock's first UFC fight over a decade ago.)

If anyone wants to know how big Vince's ego is, the man once wrestled God and won.

God still has one of the best intros I have ever seen.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I have some bad news about Best Buy, my friend.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Huh, that is all pretty interesting. I went in a Best Buy around Christmas and was surprised how empty it felt, but they did always stock a lot of stuff I assume never sold.

Seeing vinyl records was so weird.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Have you been living under a rock? Vinyl has been "back" for the better part of a decade now. Still dwarfed by streaming, of course, but I'm fairly certain it has overtaken CDs pretty much everywhere and is now the top selling physical format.

Yeah, I am a big vinyl collector myself but I always stick to smaller business.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Color runs were the perfect scam because people always assumed that they were for charity, then I found out that they usually gave a relatively tiny donation and pocketed the bulk of it.

Then the fad ended.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just so many factories being closed for so long is going to be a big deal, fairly long term. How many smaller businesses are going to be in trouble just because all their suppliers have nothing to sell them? There are tons of places that if forced to randomly close for a month would go under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Plastik posted:

When I was in Movie Theater management our chain lost more than a few theaters to dramatic rent hikes in failing malls. If you build your contracts expecting 80% retail occupancy to cover 20k in monthly costs, dropping down to 72% means going into 2 grand a month in debt, and most of the malls we were in were closer to 50%.

Movie theater management seems like an awful job. I have some friends manage the nicer movie theater in town. A few years ago the company remodeled the whole thing with nice new reclining seats a few more IMAX screens. A little more expensive to get a ticket but not by much.

Now they are in trouble because two years later they can't hit their old numbers before the expensive remodel. Guess when you nearly cut the number of seats in half even nearly selling out regularly doesn't help.

Good job corporate.