Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Sorry to continue the derail, but as someone who works in construction all I ever see nowadays is kobalt/harbor freight hand tools. They make perfectly fine quality tools, and the prices are great. Plus the warranty doesn't matter anyway as you are ten times as likely to just lose,or have a tool stolen than break it. Few times I've broken a tool I just laugh and drop the like 3 bucks for a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

axeil posted:

This is interesting to read, thanks for sharing. I remember BB was always on the Corporate Death List a few years back, but I'm guessing closing redundant stores and re-focusing to have their employees actually know what kind of TV/phone works for you has improved things. I wish they'd carry computer parts again like they used to back in the 90s though. I've had parts crap out on me on my machine and it'd be nice if I could just drive down to Best Buy and pick up a good power supply/motherboard/etc.

I know being pro capitalism is pretty politically incorrect here in D&D, but I've recently read two really decent books that go over how certain businesses are really succeeding in the marketplace by re-focusing their company purpose to care more about customers and employees and not focus solely on increasing shareholder stock prices at the expense of everything else.

Firms of Endearment
Conscious Capitalism

Both are really good reads if you think there might be some redeeming merits of capitalism and aren't purely 'full communism now'

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

axeil posted:

Haha, you're talking to me, the guy who was screamed at in the Democrats thread for suggesting that running on "full communism now" is actually really dumb/bad and that competition can be a good motivator.

This is good stuff, thanks for the links.

I was definitely not implying you were full communism if that's how I came across. Mainly wanted to post those links after the most recent discussion, and your post was just the most convenient to quote.

I run a small business in an industry that is certainly lacking in conscious capitalism, but I find the concepts applicable and have already seen some small return on investment by changing how we approach projects compared to our competitors.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
The box issue really does seem like a mess. My wife is home full time raising our new son, and as such has found amazon to be the great deliverer of all things without having to bundle up baby to go get stuff every day. So over the last 8 months amazon has been shipping us craploads of food/baby gear/housewares, and I've been dutifully flattening all the boxes and storing them in the garage till I could get a van to take them to the recycle place.

This weekend I finally made the trip, I ended up with almost 100 lbs of carboard, filling up a 5' cubic space all flattened out. There has got to be a better way to get things to people without all that waste. (Even if recycled)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Heliogabalos posted:

:lol:

yeah, no, despite your pearl clutching. also I don't live in the US, I live in a country where the term organic is legislated and regulated

wtf?

No it is definitely theft, and you are a shithead!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Heliogabalos posted:

can I just claim I made a mistake even if the chronically underpaid staff discovered I inputted the incorrect code for excessively overpriced produce? yes
would I ever be charged? no
everything else: a bloo-bloo self-righteous bootlicking

Do you enjoy torturing small woodland creatures too?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Its a bit of a derail, but where I live the death or office space dwarfs retail. There are so many office parks near me at below 50% occupancy, going to then feels like walking through a cemetery.

I still see occasional small retail being built, but no one has built a dedicated office building in my area forever.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I never heard that story but the shopper's card definitely works on me. My grocery store gives me progressively bigger discounts for things I buy regularly, and since I eat exactly the same food six days out of seven I'm way into the loss leader zone for almost everything. But I never even think of shopping at another store for regular groceries.

Does that discount apply to fresh produce? Cause drat, I'd be all over that.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I hate it when the gluten free stuff is lumped in with other garbage because I don't want to be associated with that. Just put the non-dairy yogurt in the diary section, put the gluten free bread in the bread area. I hate the little sort of pseudoscience ghetto places make which makes me feel ashamed to buy the product for legitimate reasons. I don't give a poo poo if it's organic or how many GMO's are inside of it I care if it will make my guts explode.

I think though that there's so many "alternative" products and things for special dietary needs that they don't need to be put in a little ghetto anymore, most places I shop don't. But still there's the confusion, will I find the almond milk in with the milk, or in some weird special section? I thought one supermarket simply didn't carry corn pasta, but that's because they didn't put it in the pasta section they put it in their little gluten free zone.

My wife is celiac so we've been through the same for 7 years. We much prefer the items to be mixed with the normal food. I'm already walking through the aisles, don't make me have to backtrack once we've noticed your lovely gluten free section doesn't actually have any staples and is instead piles of lovely cookies.

It's not hard to find out which foods are safe to eat if you actually eat this poo poo every day.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Only part that interests me is the expanded sandwich stuff.

Work construction in the Northeast, and Dunkin is already pretty high on the priority list for break time for lots of people. More food options and less donuts is a welcome change. Just hope the prices don't jump to high to cover that specialty coffee atmosphere though.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
They also mentioned attempting other bonus experiments for Prime members whatever that means. There is a WFM not far from me, though honestly their quality/price isn't normally enough to snag my interest over my local independent grocer. But I do love me my prime membership so I'll probably check them out as they iterate.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

CFox posted:

Yea this is a real thing. Back when the recession hit and I lost my retail job I spent awhile doing light construction. Building barns, putting on new roofs, things like that. In retail you can have a very busy day and get a lot of work done but when you come in the next day nothing looks different. It's a weird feeling not seeing any evidence of your work except on a paycheck twice a month. On the job site though you come in each day and there's this big physical proof of what you accomplished the day before staring you in the face and there's a real sense of satisfaction when it all comes together. I can drive down the road and see something that I had a hand in building years ago, that's awesome.

This truly is the best part of working in the trades. I try to treat my team as best an employer can, but honestly being a trade boss is actually kind of lucky because just performing the work brings about a ton of personal satisfaction. Even on balls hard work days the guys almost always wrap up the day in high spirits cause mad poo poo got done and we can look back and see it.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
It would be nice if we could stop calling people that enjoy partaking in business work ventures as dull. Quite a few people here have posted that they would enjoy running some sort of small business venture if they could. They would because they genuinely enjoy working in that field/trade.

UBI and universal health care are great things to work towards, but saying people are poisoned by protestant work ethic is no better then others calling you a lazy rear end for not wanting to work.

(“You” being used here in the general sense)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Our large and now growing extended family has finally this year after many years of persuasion, decided to go from individual gifts to doing a small and inexpensive round robin gift exchange for the adults and a select number of gifts for all the children.

I was so loving tired of getting 3 pairs of woolly socks, a new wallet and watch, some dumb gag gift, ect every year so, hopefully this year will be a bit more joyful only having to pick up two generic fun gifts for the round robin, and a gift each for my niece and nephew.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I hadn’t been in a mall in years, but now that it is winter and we have a 1 year old we go like once a week just to let him walk around and play in the play area since it is so cold outside. So basically the play area is only reason why we even bother to visit. We’ve even bought a thing or two while there.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
As someone whose wife is actually celiac I can say we never go to restaurants that are cuisine specific like pizza or pasta shops even if they do have gluten free marked on like one or two items. We know that if prepping gluten free food isn’t an every day thing then its going to be a pita for the cooks and probably risky for my wife.

We have like 4 restaurants that we visit regularly. One is a Pho shop that is 100% GF. The next is a Brazilian cheese bread place which is also 100% GF. Then we have a nice sushi joint and an last an american bistro that has like half a menu full of GF stuff, along with dedicated cooking area and machines for it.

Being actually celiac is serious and seriously sucky, and we really appreciate the restaurants that go the mile to make their food accessible. OTOH we’d honestly prefer the restaurants that don’t want to go all the way just skip it as an option all together. All it does is feed the fakers sense of importance, and real celiacs don’t eat there to begin with.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Well yea, at home we have like six or so different gluten free pastas we make because I grew up on pasta and god himself couldn’t take it away from me. We have red lentil, chickpea, quinoa, as well as a couple more standard ones that all taste really good. I just don’t expect an Italian restaurant to have them in stock.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Horseshoe theory posted:

A lot of publicly traded corporations are incorporated/organized in Delaware and so litigation against executives and the Board would therefore go through the Delaware Court of Chancery, which historically takes a very protective (to said executives and Board) view of the business judgment rule. In addition, in most publicly traded corporations, ownership isn't concentrated well enough often enough to seriously threaten voting out directors (and, ultimately, firing executives) or, alternatively, there are super voting shares owned by the founders/executives that prevent them from getting thrown out (amongst other things).

This is true, but plenty of pressure can still be applied by activist investors, and other troublemakers that can really drag a decent company down quickly. You dont need a lawsuit to get a bevy of dumb Wall Street articles written about how x company is doomed to failure because it treats its employees like humans.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Yeah, I can agree that probably happens a lot too.

It’s to bad that I’m pretty sure a Capitalism thread in D&D would be the biggest trash fire in history. There really is lots of fun stuff to unpack between big and small businesses and how some companies do manage to succeed without being total hellholes.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

ryonguy posted:

lol if you think completely unsustainable business models for short term profit is a reasonable situation that needs to be perpetuated. Just because corporations forgot how to function due to an over-reliance on paper tricks to increase cash flow at the expense of actual revenue streams doesn't mean the fundamentals of a private enterprise have changed; financial gimmicks are not the end all and be all of private industry no matter what MBA douches say.

This, plus at the high end some of the better schools are really pushing heavily into changing their curriculum. It will be horribly long process to fight back against years of inertia in business practice, but places like Harvard, Oxford, Columbia ect... have all been working with MNCs to start fixing the structural problems with the shareholder first and only mentality.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

crazy cloud posted:

Yeah you're right I'm sure capitalism will start "functioning" correctly any time now. The fact that it never has before and there is no proposed mechanism by which it will, that's probably irrelevant. Any day now, those noble-minded captains of industry, who totally exist, will right the ship, I'm sure.

:wrong:

There are multiple groups of businesses and schools that are each attempting to tackle these problems. Like I said in my last post, it is hardly an easy task, but work is being done to try to right this sinking ship.

Triple bottom line, the conscious capitalism movement, the completing capitalism research program, ect are out there and are interesting topics for those with enough brain power to think critically beyond "full communism now" as the only answer.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

BrandorKP posted:

This is not untrue.

But you know what I found, only 20-30 % of the students buy it. The remaining 70-80 % are just looking to jump through the hoop get the masters / credentials. Of the ones that buy it half are competent.

Then there are the groups that are doing the opposite.

We need a larger change.

No doubt.

A complete rewriting of financial and business regulations is definitely in order. So many things need to change it is almost impossible to pick a starting point. But even a few people and businesses on the other side of the coin starting to realize what a colossal mess they've made will only make these changes easier.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

That's not what they do at all. Market leaders have very little potential for explosive growth so what they typically pick up is market followers which strengthens the position of the market leader in the long-term.

Who said anything about functional? I'm just stating that this is the current state of affairs and that it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

It's not that simple, some of the biggest corporations on the planet with massive war-chests have tried and failed. Microsoft couldn't compete with Google on search engines, Google couldn't compete with Facebook on social media, companies are still struggling to catch up to Amazon's early lead on cloud-based web-hosting. A problem with a lot of internet businesses is that they are what we economists like to call 'natural monopolies'. That is, some aspect of how they function make them fundamentally unsuited for competition. High-barriers to entry, economies of scale effects, limited access to resources or network externality effects are usually the causes.

Google's search engine is the most classic example of this of all time and right up there with railroads. Modern search engines (unlike the ones that came before google and yahoo) get better the more they get used. This means that by the time Yahoo started losing the arms-race the chances of any competitor ever entering the arena again without government intervention was zero. The cost of delivering a competing product would be astronomical and the odds of ever catching up slim, so it doesn't happen.

Let me count googles current monopolies:
1. Youtube, complete dominance in a staggering number of countries
2. Google, between 80-90% market share in most countries (notable exceptions being Russia and China)
3. Android OS, the de-facto most used mobile operating system on the planet

Google is well aware of this and it's also why they capitalize on it further by tethering these services to each other to facilitate creating extensive intermingling network externalities. You talk about the barriers to entry to switch being zero but Google has intentionally made it so that is is not so. That's why they started tethering free services that they operated on a loss to the search engine like Youtube and Gmail. In any other sector this would be recognized as the anti-competitive price-dumping (which it is) but in tech were the law is seemingly never catching up it's all fair game. Internet explorer was not dominant for as long as it was because it was a great product, it was so because it came bundled with another monopoly (Windows) giving it an inherently unfair advantage against competitors which was really only shaken up thanks to smartphones.

Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft and increasingly Apple are all in the monopoly-building game. If you believe it's in our interest as consumers then you are a sucker. Content creators on Youtube being arbitrarily bled dry, Facebook driving news-organizations worldwide by 'borrowing' their content and Amazon's ever-increasing list of labor abuses and supplier shakedowns are our canaries in the coal-mine.

Good post! So the question becomes how you can use antitrust to break them up? Like I could see forcing alphabet to break up search from YouTube from services. Same with amazon I guess forcing a split between physical products, digital, and AWS. Facebook though, no idea there.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just as one argument that should appeal to libertarians:

Large retailers like Amazon and Wal-Mart deliberately pay starvation-level wages because they know they can get away with it due to the existence of the food stamp program and Section 8 housing subsidies.

In effect, your tax dollars are being taken to subsidize Wal-Mart's low wages. Because food stamp programs exist, Wal-Mart gets away with paying their workers less than those workers need to stay alive.

this is why we need a raise in the minimum wage

I just last night read this exact tidbit in Robert Reich's 'Saving Capitalism' book. His example was the $6 billion in Food Stamp costs that have gone only to workers in the fast food industry as a direct subsidy to their profit line as corporate welfare. Funnily enough I used the example this morning to an acquaintance who is normally pretty obstinate about this kind of stuff, and I think he actually absorbed it.

If you(non-specific you) are not in the 'full communism now' camp I definitely recommend the book. It's really well written, and offers tons of compelling explanations as to what caused the shitstorm we are in.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I read a bit just the other day that specifically mentioned shelf sensors, but I also remember hearing about camera only a long ways back. Maybe that was one if the changes they made while delaying the open for so long.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

BrandorKP posted:

Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and JPMorgan Team Up to Disrupt Health Care https://nyti.ms/2GuXbBp

Teehee, the Dow is really enjoying this news this morning.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But yeah one of the things with the suburbs is that they're pretty hostile toward outsiders in multiple ways. Not just because of who tends to move there but also because the roads are typically not walkable and they're designed to direct traffic away. The people are the biggest one; they tend to want to create their own little bubble in the world where they can be 100% totally safe and keep everybody they don't like away. The level of paranoia in suburbia is insane and God help you if you ever have to deal with a home owner's association. Anything that might make the neighborhood look the slightest bit idyllic or drop land values by any value greater than zero is either explicitly verboten or will make your neighbors shun you.

God I hate HOAs with such a passion. I just started doing service work on a new complex that has six large 18 unit condo building with interior entrance halls. Every individual unit is locked up like a drum, and there are no master keys for service work even though there are common systems. Everyone has private alarm systems just to make life even more complicated. Lastly the main common doors into the shell have keypad access, but now they suddenly are demanding that the special access codes we are given to enter the building get changed every 2 months.

gently caress.

All of this in what has to be the safest god drat area in the entire country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

eyebeem posted:

It's one of the only use cases for empty big box locations that seems to be profitable.

We have several indoor play area things nearby and they all appear to be doing well

Heck yea, a couple trampoline parks have opened in my area lately and they have time set aside for under 5 years old so you can let your toddler go hog without worrying they will get run over by a teenager. poo poo, one of them does 90 minutes for $10 which for the area is pretty decent. Great for those 90 degree days that make the park a nonstarter.