Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

Its not a gimmick, and its not weird.

The difference is, I know that there are places more rural than where I've visited. Most people in Eastern states like Ohio, Wisconsin and Arkansas seem to be honestly unaware that wilderness areas and isolated areas exist. They do think that the difference in America is the difference between New York City and Dayton. I am the one who has said there are gigantic gradations, the Easterners are the ones who believe that the only choices are hipster city or dad city.

Ohio is the 7th most populous state, and is the 10th most densely populated state. Starting in New York City, if you are driving across the country, Cleveland is 1/7th of the way across the country. Ohio might be slightly less urbanized and integrated into the transportation grid as New York State, but its not "The Middle of Nowhere"

Southern Ohio does have some pretty rural areas though. They have special scholarships and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pharohman777 posted:

This thread has gone from 'are big retail stores good or bad' to 'which stores will survive the ongoing apocalypse occurring in US retail'.

The one you feed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

rudatron posted:

(eg - the idiots who still buy vinyl because they enjoy the sound of the placebo effect).

Should they instead be paying to license digital goods? Or perhaps trade their bloodwork and full medical history for 20 minutes per day in which they can listen to whatever* they want?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
An organic cake is healthier than a GMO carrot.

Sometimes I scan carrots and then put a cake on the scale. Then it sells me cake at just 69 nice cents a pound. one weird trick!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
At what point do my gift cards stop having legal value? poo poo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I hand grind my beans every morning for my clever drip because I like tasty coffee and also am a crazy person. I like this thread but I don't have anything to contribute about retail. :(

Maybe I should open a coffee shop, seems like there's good money in it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FCKGW posted:

turn all sears into stores that exclusively sell prepper supplies

Edit: are there prepper stores besides army surplus?

Costco

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

:hfive: got'em

paragon1 posted:

What we need is for everything to be owned by one monopoly. And for that monopoly to be employee owned.

And then broken up because competition is still pretty useful.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

luxury handset posted:

are you seriously arguing that companies make more profit by selling product which you assert in your own argument is unpopular and tastes bad

And to make that product facially indistinguishable at point of purchase. That parts important.

luxury handset posted:

"god, this place is slammed. it's no wonder people stopped coming here"

That's next quarter's problem

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

You're going to tell me that this meal is healthy?
https://www.nutritionix.com/i/hungry-man/classic-fried-chicken-mesquite/5854e3e2c57e95f91e7f6158

It's one serving, 1,050 calories, and contains 111% of your daily fat, and 86% of your daily sodium intake for the day. It also only contains 10%-20% of your required vitamins a day. You could eat two of these a day and stay pretty close to the recommended daily caloric intake while doubling the amount of fat you should consume a day while also getting a quarter of the vitamins you should be consuming a day.

:fishmech:: Eating two of those a day every day would be an unhealthy eating habit yet you could eat that from time to time and be fine so that food is not 'unhealthy'.

This is how every example goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lambert posted:

Dumb enamel pins are going to be easy to copy either way, I don't think going all yellow peril is necessary.

I think enforcement of your IP may be easier in your own country.