Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rockopolis posted:

Maybe something to help the employees unionize?

That's a good way to get the store shut down and everyone fired.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/union-walmart-shut-5-stores-over-labor-activism/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inferior Third Season posted:

Making lists and having others fetch the things I want instead of getting them myself is the type of thing I'd do if I somehow became obscenely wealthy. So, yes, having to shop is a nightmare.

This already exists depending where you live. I think it costs an extra like 4 95 per 'order' 16.95 per month and 99.95 a year where I shop. You basically go through their website add what you want to a list it totals it all for you, hit submit and charges your card. You get an email when it's ready and pull up to what are basically special 'to-go' parking spots load all your groceries and you're on your way.

I really need to start using it more because I hate grocery shopping.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Does anyone remember service merchandise? I guess it existed in some form till the early 2000s but does anyone remember it in the old days?

Like they had a showroom instead of a store and you filled out order forms for things in the store and then brought it to a guy at the front of the store and then depending what you bought it'd either come out of the back warehouse of the store on a big conveyor belt or else they'd tell you to come back in a week and it'd be there then.

It feels like that sort of idea but with less filling out forms would work pretty well. Small area with display areas, large warehouse in the back, shipping options.

Yeah, this was probably the closest big box store that we had near my house, the other being kmart roughly the same distance in the other direction.

Service Merchandise was kind of an outlier though because they had a poo poo ton of stuff, kmart might have 2-3 shelf stereo systems but if I am remember right Service Merch had probably 10 on display and who knows how many more in the catalog. It was basically the ikea model, but with more 'sears catalog' thrown in. It was a pretty interesting place to shop. They sold everything from housewares to jewlery and clothes to guns and the catalog was massive. It reminded me more of a sears then walmart though, except that you couldn't just grab your box of whatever, you had to find someone to get it for you.

OwlFancier posted:

Then some kind of blend of an Ikea and an Argos. Argos functions like that but it generally has a catalogue rather than a showroom.

The catalog was a huge part of it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bates posted:

It is kinda odd that I have basically two options - either I go to a warehouse and manually pick out stuff or full service with delivery. Why can't I order my groceries online and then go pick up a box? I mean walking around looking for canned goods, toilet paper, tooth paste etc. is not really a good use of my time but with delivery there is a scheduling issue - at least until I have a drop box for groceries which most people don't have yet. It's just weird it became this either or setup.

I did this for the first time last week and will never set foot in a grocery store again unless I need like 1-2 very specific things or didn't plan ahead, it's so much better of a shopping experience. Put your order in online and pick it up in 3 hours or less, sign the credit card slip at the pickup window and you're off.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

I was willing to compromise on brand and model so long as I got a 60" LED of some description for around the same price, and it was a brand I'd heard of before.

No one had anything close in stock.

Are you not near a Costco/BJs?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Southern california is a shirts-optional kind of place.

Ok yeah, so it's every day clothes from what you saw pretty much everyone wearing.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Warehouses and self-storage. Where I'm originally from a place that was a small strip mall-ish thing (it was like 6 stores so I don't know if it really counts) is just storage now. Companies rent it intermittently if they need to temporarily store a K-Mart worth of poo poo for whatever reason.

I see those seasonal Halloween and Christmas stores pop up in dead strip malls around Baltimore every year. And fireworks stands in the parking lots around the 4th.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

By the way, whoever upthread had their phone and laptop working together for texting: I haven't been able to do that since Google broke the Google Voice plugin for Chrome. No idea what magic you're doing, unless you have an iPhone and a Mac working together. I like video games too much to buy a Mac.

Google Fi probably. I'm going to be really sad when they separate SMS and hangouts (RIP) because I can't have a cell phone at work and being able to listen to voice mails/read the transcripts of them and text people from my gmail account is amazing...and half the reason I signed up for it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

:same:
now if they would recommend me a good cheese grater that doesn't suck rear end right after i get frustrated as hell with my garbage rusting janky block grater, that'd be real great since i keep forgetting to buy a new one and everytime i get pissed off i'm like why the gently caress did i not buy a good cheese grater yet. tia advertisers

You want this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Z...w_1503912406481

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chakan posted:

Raw denim is just untreated, so you have to soak it once inside out in a hot bath before you wear it. It's really nothing special, but just like everything else people get obsessed about it trying to get good fade on their jeans & eventually you get a tweet about $500 jeans that were ruined by chipotle.

Yeah if you eat that much chipotle you're not going to fit in your skinny jeans for too long.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

And when we say "thousands", we're talking like there are many places where even crossing from one side of town to the other in some place with barely 20,000 people, and the sales tax is twice the rate across that boundary. Or how anyone who wants to run an ad on TV or radio in a major metro area is going to have their advertised price read to easily 10, 20 different tax rates applied to it.

Where I lived in CA cigarettes from the safeway on one side of the street were about $1.50 a pack more expensive than from the walgreens on the other side of the street because that street was the dividing line of the incorporated/unicorporated part of the city it can get pretty absurd.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's been explored in other threads, but simply that naturally formed communities barely exist any more, especially among the young. There's no point getting to know your neighbours because chances are they'll be gone in a few years. All the social groups that older generations took for granted don't exist for the young, between the irrelevance of religion, disintegration of neighbourhoods, and atomisation of the personal identity.

This is the kind of alienation that the alt-right rose out of.

Your social group is who you work with now, your church (if you do that) of your significat other's group or who ever around you can afford to also participate in your hobbies. Unless you live within like 30 miles of where you were born and still hang out with people you've known since middle school. I would bet that most people have a healthy dose of all of the above to some extent.

Community involvment though comes through all of those other things and really kicks off when you have kids and meet other parents.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cheesus posted:

While i realize the operating officers don't have any plans beyond "Do the necessary to make my quarterly bonus", after they shutter all of these retail giants, what's next? Do they "slum" downwards to eliminate any regional/ local chain (that wasn't purchased by the giants in the past 30 years) and work their magic there? Or do they fail upward to...Amazon?

take a parachute and end up somewhere else

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

B&N really should have just gone full-Amazon but this might be a bit too late.

They tried, remember the nook?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

Virginia has a huge selection of whiskeys but it's a pain in the rear end to get a lot of mixers. For many liqueurs, your choices are either one name brand, or bottom shelf DeKuyper and the like. Sometimes the bottom shelf option is the only option. Once a year I find a reason to stop in Delaware en route to visiting my in-laws, so that I can get decent creme de cassis, creme de menthe, and the like. And without paying sales tax.

Almost every VA liquor store near me is next to a grocery store, or in the same strip mall. So park, get booze, put in car get mixers and beer/wine then walk next door and get a burrito.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
How is Shaper Image still around?

It's just lovely amazon full of poo poo you don't actually need.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

It's not, is how.

The store and whole business went under in 2008, all retail locations shut down, etc. In 2010 it was brought back as just a website and catalog by a different company, which occasionally has sections in normal retail chains that are branded as a Sharper Image section.

that makes much more sense.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Toys R Us: Millenial's Fault:

http://www.businessinsider.com/toys-r-us-closes-millennials-babies-birth-rate-2018-3

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Depends on what you mean by "better." That isn't profitable.

Sounds like postal banking which has been gaining a bit of steam lately.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Its really, really common to just pattent everything these days even if you won't ever use it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think people are really picky about which "robots" they get upset at. Like if mcdonalds doesn't have cooks at the mcdonalds forming burgers from on site ground steaks but has it happen in a factory on a large machine that is fine, and if the guy controlling the supply chain with a stack of notebooks is replaced by a bunch of boxes and a barcode scanner or something that is seen as neutral or progress. But certain people are super upset at this new thing 'automation" if the cashier is replaced by a touch screen, like any other job could get replaced and it's no big deal. If someone invented a good self cleaning toilet people would be good with that, but if you can't yell at/flirt with the girl taking orders at mcdonalds it's all over. And that sort of touch screen stuff is specifically the kind of 'automation' that is extremely cheap and dropping in price rapidly.

I was at a McD's in Trump country PA a month or two ago, and they were basically trying to teach everyone how to use the touchscreens, which is odd, because this is like the birth place of sheetz and wawa. Anyways, the guy comes up to the register and the lady behind the counter is like 'we're moving to all touch screen ordering, let me show you how to use it' old guy yells 'gently caress this, I'm not gunna order from a computer' and walked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HEY NONG MAN posted:

It’s none of those.

They recently expanded their cafe menu to include items that require more prep work than the hot dogs and pizza slices (like cheeseburgers for instance) and so as a result, the cashiers who are some of the same labor who prepares the food have to leave the register to put the order together. They can’t add more bodies behind the counter without renovating the cafe to be 2x bigger than it is.

As a further result, lines started piling up at the cafe and it became a logistical challenge to physically get your purchase out of the store if you wanted to skip the cafe. Also note that the lines are full of people who have staged their cart somewhere nearby which furthers the congestion.

Now all of that is solved and the same # of people are employed as before.

They could also sell food cards at the checkout that sends it over to the cafe so they have a 2-3 minute headstart on prep before you're done checking out.

Like laminated ones like ice UPCs in grocery store or whatever, but then people would forget poo poo or want to change something, nevermind, just set up kiosks all over the store and you pick up a tracking bracelt when you come in and they just track you down when your food in ready in whatever isle you're in.