Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying here? Are you saying that clothing sizes being non-standard is a very solvable problem? That's kind of insane, given that folks often have relatively different body shapes if you're looking for decently fitting clothing. There's no industry standard for sizing, which I've found makes it intensely difficult to anticipate how something will fit without actually wearing it or working one-on-one with the retailer. Even belts, which are probably the simplest item to measure given that it a strip of leather with a given length, have wild differences in actual sizes. A 34" belt from one manufacturer/brand can be several inches off from another. It's nuts.

Like, it's an issue that no store should hang it's continued existence on. Like some store can't look at their 50 year plan and look at that and say "it's fine, we are safe forever".

Like because of sci-fi reasons like someone will use the depth camera in some future iphone to custom tailor your clothes in ten years. To just organizational like the guy getting three shirts mailed to him and mailing 2 back. To just fashion trends of not every type of clothing needs an exact fit and if everyone is wearing togas and sagging rapper pants in 2045 then the store that counted on online never beating them because they will always be the local choice for fittings will just look and go "oh, well, we are hosed now".

Like right now it's better to get sizing from a local place but there is 30 different ways that could go from all sorts of directions and no store should just rest on that being eternally true even if it's true today and tomorrow. Someone is gonna solve that problem or someone is going to make it not a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

tfw you accidentally let slip how bougie you are "anyone can afford to hire a maid it's only a few hundred dollars a month"

Isn't the concept of having fitted clothes itself bougie.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Star Man posted:

Not all people have the means to order more than one size of shoes online just to find out which pair will fit and return the others for a refund.

La-de-da fancy fitted shoe man here, real poor people get "medium" shoes from walmart and buy their kids ages 5-7 shoes that have no specific sizing. Mr fancy here driving to a store to get his kings feet in brand named sized shoes.

(seriously most of america still isn't living in extreme poverty and it's fine to talk about people spending 40 dollars on shoes in terms of retail)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Returning poo poo is a pain if you don't have a car, too, especially if you don't live in an area where you can safely leave something to be picked up, and that's not a situation of "extreme poverty" (lmao).

Then you can't drive to a store either!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

For a lot of people tying up an extra $40 for a few weeks actually is a tough thing to do. I know that seems insane to people financially comfortable but a shocking number of people are that tight week to week. It's also a lot bigger time/attention focus. Just going out and getting the right thing in one trip and forgetting about it feels a lot easier than going online, buying a few things for $120, waiting a few days, picking one of the 3 that hopefully is good and correct, then sending the other 2 back and waiting for the remaining $80 to return to you. During that week they're going to feel financially strained as well, they now have to wait for the money to come back. What if something goes wrong? What if they filled out a label wrong? What if they didn't read some fine print? It can be stressful and why not avoid that stress. Online shopping isn't going to be chosen by someone if it's more stressful than shopping in person, especially if there's no savings.

Is the guy struggling and living paycheck to paycheck also the guy that is checking four different size 11 shoes to get the size 11 shoe he wants instead of just saying "I wear a size 11 shoe" and buying a size 11 shoe? The whole concept of getting very specific fits seems extremely fussy to begin with.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Polygynous posted:

"retail is dying because hammer pants are making a comeback" is probably a more interesting line of discussion

Like that seems like a real thing. If it's 30 years from now and everyone is able to buy everything online except clothing because clothing is too complicated to buy without seeing it in person it seems entirely possible there will be at least a segment of the population that will say "screw that, I buy everything else online and sizing online can never be solved, I'll just wear fashion that is less particular about sizes" even if it's not the extremes like jinko jeans or hammer pants or sagging or mumus or something.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

duz posted:

I noticed that Think Geek has a storefront at the local mall I go to. I've never seen so many Funkopops in one place.

gamestop stopped selling videogames to the point they co-branded with thinkgeek to sell stuff under that label instead.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me you've never once, in all your years on this Earth, talked to a woman about what it's like for them and sizing? Like not a single time?

Forget about talking to one about this, have you never come across a single article or opinion piece by a woman talking about how maddening the whole process is if you're outside a standard deviation of the mean in any possible metric (height, weight, bust size, hip width, etc)?

This is a thing..it is the thing with women's clothing since like the 1950's.

With guys you had three measurements, tops, unless you were fitting for a suit or buying high end: Waist size, inseam and neck size/shirt size (dress shirt/casual shirt). It's only recently, since we got over that whole yards and yards of fabric thing that you started to see indistinct sizing show up...stuff like the difference between...classic, slim, skinny, athletic..etc. All of which vary by manufacturer, which means our sizing is becoming more arbitrary and maddening like women's. We simply never really had to take torso to shoulder ratio and stuff like thigh circumference into account until pretty recently.

having infinity sizes in very fine variations sounds a lot more like a thing an online store would eventually be the one to solve over a retail store where you gotta just try stuff on until you hope something is close enough. Like having to randomly try on clothes until something fits right is the way it is now because it's a bad system, not an advantage of retail.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cicero posted:

I mean tech-wise it seems like the solution would be a depth-scanning system that scans your naked body so that you have precise and comprehensive measurements, and then retail websites could use that to show how different pieces of clothing (which have similarly precise measurements) would fit on you on a 3D model. But even people who have no privacy concerns with Google or Facebook would probably balk at that.

If they have a giant database of clothes you would just need to submit some piece of clothing you already own that you like the fit of and then they can use that as the fit, no need to submit a photo of your anus.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Magius1337est posted:

exactly, a retail store is only going to sell some sort of generic that kinda fits women with big boobs vs an online store that can match variations of your cupsize, all you have to do it just hit slightly bigger or slightly smaller

Yeah, it sounds like retail currently has the advantage because you can walk in and randomly try all the size 10s and maybe one will randomly happen to fit and that is better than the internet's solution of just order a size 10 and hope it fits. But that overall seems like a comically supremely bad solution. But the real solution of having a hundred permutations of every possible slight variation in fit seems absolutely totally unworkable from a retail shelf space standpoint but much more workable on a website.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Also lol, facebook just actually announced a service where you can upload photos of your b hole

(with the intent that you can upload a photo you want forever banned, like if you worry your photos leaked you can upload them to say "block this everywhere forever" but it involves uploading it and people reviewing it which is lol)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BrandorKP posted:

I have less than no regrets about missing the bhole pic parts.

The Bhole thing is people imagining that some sort of cloths fitting app would for some reason involve sending nude photos to someone, which is absolutely insane and not how any actual company would ever design anything like that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hungry posted:

As a Brit who has lived in America for the last 10 months, yeah you can't get a good pastry here, they don't exist (at least out here in the far-flung Midwest). I did find extremely overpriced frozen cornish pasties marketed as "hand pies" which tasted fine but nothing like a pastie was meant to.

Hot pockets

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

learnincurve posted:

Seriously, am I reading this right that America has no decent bread? The British would starve without it. There isn’t any difference in price between hand made or the mass manafactured stuff, only shelf life. Also bread makers are dirt cheap.

There is plenty of bread and people are just being snooty that because wonder bread exists that means other bread doesn’t exist. Even Walmart sell bread that is fine in the bakery and actual grocery stores and bakeries sell good bread that uses the same recipe anywhere uses. But the existence of ultra cheap bread makes people act like that is all there is and you can’t get anything else.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RuanGacho posted:

The bread we're talking about as "good" is actually high in protein and has flavor. I'm not a snob when it comes to food but it's like the difference between frozen and actually prepared food. The recipe doesn't matter if your ingredients are bad and lazily stored.

You know what, nevermind. I don't care enough about this to debate it. The supermarket bread in America is just as good as all bread everywhere, god bless America :911:

"It is not possible to buy bread in the US" is a really dumb claim. Don't be silly. It's like saying that because gross kraft american cheese exists that you can't buy morbier or fourme d'ambert. It's not even hard to buy that stuff, you can just walk into a supermarket and buy it and if that isn't good enough you can go to a cheese store or farmers market in most places. You can buy whatever kind of bread you want, wonderbread isn't even the highest quality type of bread walmart even sells, let alone a regular supermarket let alone a bakery.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

serious gaylord posted:

They have no decent cheese either. Or bacon.

european bacon is the one thing that is legitimately a little hard to find in the US. And shelf stable milk.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Beachcomber posted:

It's getting worse as US companies are making the "good" brands with the same corner cutting as Hershey's.

"American chocolate has butyric acid" has been a thing since the 1800s. It was actually a good idea when it was invented but by the time it wasn't needed anymore america thought it was what chocolate was supposed to taste like.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think sears has a name that means something to someone and at least some chinese website that wanted a US presence would buy it out, JC Pennies seems like it could just die die and go away.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

learnincurve posted:

Side note, in the UK we have Argos (founded 1972) which is basically a store with big laminated catalogues with codes next to the item. You put your code in the machine (or take it to the counter) get given a receipt and then wait for somone to bring it out from the warehouse in the back.

They are beating amazon at their own game. You see humble Argos has so many of these warehouse stores and an established fleet of its own delivery trucks that it can deliver same day, for the same price as any other deliver, and not only that, if you live close to one of them then computer says yes and it gives you the option of putting your item on the next van to leave the store. I once had a phone delivered 2 hours after I ordered it. Yes on some large items there can be a 2 days to a week’s wait, but then they know they aren’t competing with amazon on them - I suspect this will change now.

From the 30s to like the 80s (it apparently lasted as a company until 2000 but was long dead by the time and closed with a stock price of one cent per share) America had "service merchandise" with that model.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, the store is designed to prompt you to walk all the way through it, but you can walk right in and right out pretty quickly if you just follow the shortcuts. I actually rather like IKEA'S store design. Folks treat it more like a destination rather than an everyday shopping experience, so walking through a series of showcases is actually fairly useful and/or entertaining.

As for Amazon getting into the furniture game...they kind of already are, but what about stuff like Wayfair that already exists? Would they really be more convenient than that?

That sounds like the D&D system mastery thing where they intentionally design bad skills and feats to trick dumb people into taking them because it makes "smart people" that know better like the game better. Like making two skills that raise HP but making one sound good and be bad and one sound bad and be good so you have to be "in the know" to pick the right one.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

what the gently caress

There is a skill that gives you 3 hp and one that gives you 1 hp per level so by level 3 you have 3 hp. When asked about it they said that that DOES have some use (campaigns that will never get to level 3, wizards with 1 hp at level 1 that need more now, etc) but they like to keep that sort of "system mastery" stuff in because people like the game better if they feel like they made the right choice by having other wrong choices exist.

If you know the secret ikea shortcut you like ikea more because you feel better at ikea than the hoi polloi

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

l failed my roll to detect secret doors at Ikea and got trapped.

your cinnamon roll

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crow Jane posted:

So I drove by a Best Buy at around noon today, and saw about 10-15 people camping out, for a 5 pm opening. How good/bad is that?

I think at some point people just started doing it because urban camping is kinda fun. Like it’s the sort of thing you aren’t supposed to like because rural camping is better and greed and capitalism are sins and some people’s lives have urban “camping” they don’t just to do as a lark. But I think people kinda do it because they like the “adventure” of doing that dumb thing of hanging out in a parking lot all night.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cicero posted:

Didn't camp out overnight, but I waited for several hours in line at the iPad 2 launch and honestly it was a fun experience.

Yeah, it's not like they come make you line up silently or something, it's not something I'd want to do very often but like you go with a couple people, bring food and warm clothes and it's generally a good atmosphere. Basically the same sort of thing as going out on new years to watch the ball drop or something.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You could just go hang out with your friends and not have the event climax at all of you emptying your wallets over a perceived Great Deal.

Doing one thing doesn't stop you from doing another thing. Telling people they shouldn't like doing something or listing something you'd think is funner to do doesn't make it so they don't have fun doing the stuff they like to do.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Also playing "homeless transient for a day" is extremely fun. A huge hoot.

Don't live your life fearing that certain things will make people think you are homeless, that is an absurd fear.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah like that's the core issue I'm trying to point out here. That you should be worried that people will think you're homeless. Solid deduction skills, Poirot.

Do you just stay in your house 24/7? or do you need to walk down the street constantly looking at photos of your house because being outdoors might be like being homeless?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's just dumb how much people write stuff in terms of "don't you know how much people are SUFFERING just to save a few dollars on the latest deal or bobble" when if you actually go talk to people doing it a lot of them have a pretty fun little setup and aren't suffering nearly as much as people want them to be. Someone somewhere is sitting in the dark crying alone in freezing cold but a bunch of people doing it are having a good time doing it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unoriginal Name posted:

Of course they arent suffering. Its a choice, so they can have a bigger television or whatever retail good they believe makes them better than the filthy poors.

I pretty sure people buy tvs so they can have a tv. Not whatever thing you are imagining.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
go to Canadian tire and buy ketchup and/or all dressed chips

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

anonumos posted:

It seems to me that most of these retail stores that go bust also just happen to have some very rich owners, executives, investors, and lenders. It seems everyone involved got their cut at the expense of the business itself. Am I wrong?

Isn't that why you run a business?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

WampaLord posted:

People must love the $5 sub thing, personally I'm okay spending $10 to have an actual good meal.

Sandwiches seem hyper regional. Like for a hamburger you can walk into any city in the US and rapidly find a hamburger that beats any fast food hamburger. Same with pizza or burritos or tacos or whatever. Good sandwiches exist everywhere. They aren't that complicated. But what sandwiches are common seems way more regional than other foods. Like I live a place that is super obsessed with a very specific version of "italian sandwiches" that I like a lot and are sold literally everywhere, but the more you wanna go outside that the more you kinda gotta know where to go. I would have to think to name a place around here to go get a good pastrami sandwich.

Like only hot dogs seem more extreme with "if you like a certain type then move you will literally never be able to get it again". Subways is bad sandwiches, but at least it's a pretty wide cross section of different types. Like pizza hut is awful and you should never eat there because if you want a sausage pizza there is always a better pizza place you can find by putting in literally zero effort that also sells sausage pizza because it's every pizza place that is better and sells that. If you are in the wrong area maybe you just can't buy cheese steak sandwiches and the bad subway one is it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah quality pizza is worth the price, I guess part of the problem is the mindset that pizza is something you should eat everyday so it has to be cheap.

I think it's more that a pizza is made out of like 8 ingredients total and all of them are basically the cheapest things that exist. You can make a pizza to feed a family for like 2 dollars of ingredients. some sort of pizza was always going to end up being super cheap.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Reveilled posted:

I have a cousin who owns a pizzeria/chip shop. He once told me that every day he gives thanks that Pizza Hut and Domino's managed to convince people that a large pizza should cost £15.
Meanwhile, a pizza place opened up right across the road from my local Domino's which does traditional sourdough wood-fired pizzas for £7, and honestly I don't think I'll ever get a Pizza Hut or Domino's at my house ever again, the difference in quality is staggering and it's practically half the price.

The business model of fast food pizza seems to have settled on some sort of weird coupon and deal based thing where a medium sized pizza costs 13 dollars but a large pizza costs 8 dollars (but two medium pizzas also 13 dollars). I have no idea if it's some "people like deals" or "we don't really want to sell all these sizes but we have to for some reason so we will hyper steer what gets bought" or if there is some secret time they don't have the deals and having deals literally every day is a secret way to raise the price on certain dates or what.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

The “$10 large pizza” is the dollar menu of the fast food world. The cheap item to bring people in and hope they spend another $8 on breadsticks too.

I am sure they would like people to also buy breadsticks but the joke is always that the most expensive ingredient of a pizza is the box. Fast food pizza is probably less than 3 dollars of ingredients and labor.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It should be proof of our sadness as a nation that people travel to one of our greatest metropolises, but then get too scared to eat anything except overpriced American chain comfort food. All of Times Square is this crap. The Applebee's & TGI Friday's are also insanely priced. Pretty much any restaurant there has to account for the crazy overhead, and it comes out in the food pricing.

Why would you travel so far and pay so much to EAT THIS poo poo.

Going to other countries then eating their crappy chain restaurants is really fun. (eating at mcdonalds in other countries is also very fun if you do it exactly one time then spend the rest of your meals eating real food. The mcdonalds take on a bunch of cultures is really wild)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Parasol Prophet posted:

Last page but yeah, I'm the kind of idiot who would travel across the world and make a point to try some cheapo fast food chain at least once. I do like new and good food, but I also want to try the stuff people don't even think about when they eat-- the convenience store snack you grab for a busy commute, a regional burger special, some interesting drink or candy flavor they just don't have where I'm from. Normal junk food poo poo, in addition to the "favorite local restaurant tourists don't know about (except now they obviously do judging by the line)" poo poo you're supposed to do.

Of course it's a moot point because I'm never going to have enough money to travel the world lol, but that's my take. Someone else's mundane can be fun too.

Yeah, it's fun to try things across the whole range. It's super cool to go to peru and eat anticucho (seasoned beef heart) and drink super traditional chicha from a street stand but it's also fun to go to bembos and try the peruvian version of a fast food chain with a coke brand inca cola or to go to india and eat street food and get panipuri that is maybe made of unsafe water but tastes amazing, or sit down at a traditional restaurant, but also go to burger king and get a mutton burger, or go to japan and try mos burger (it's very bad) along with going to a traditional ramen stand or going to a conveyor belt restaurant.

There is a lot of different food that is good or fun and it's stupid to limit yourself any one way to only going for one type. You should go to china and eat glutinous rice dumplings and also stop at mcdonalds and get a taro root pie. No one has to pick a side and no one should. If you go to egypt you absolutely should eat a bunch of kofta and koshari for a bunch of meals but you also should go to the KFC in front of the sphinx and eat a horrible friggin bowl of chicken nuggets, rice and bbq sauce.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Panfilo posted:

And honestly eating fast food in foreign restaurants gives you some insight as to local tastes and cuisines, since they tend to tweak their food toward what local people are used to tasting.

Yeah, it shouldn't be all you eat or the majority of what you eat but it's really interesting to see food that is built around uniformity made very differently. A Mexican coke tastes different. A kit Kat bar is like three totally different candies depending what continent you are on. An Indian mcdonalds doesn't serve beef. A Korean pizza hut is an alien world of corn and mayo and seafood. It's cool to go around the world and see what's different as what's the same.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

skooma512 posted:

I also tried Mcdonald's in France, but the stuff there was so different it might as well have been a different chain entirely. Like gruyere in fast food, what the hell? The French do not gently caress around.

Good call! Do you know the story with that? The first mcdonalds in france opened in a time that was really hostile to international business and mcdonalds became the figurehead of a really big protest movement to the point people burned down mcdonalds. The solution was for the mcdonald's central office to go totally hands off and let the local franchise owner totally control everything, So mcdonald's france really is a totally separate chain that kinda just licences the name and a few menu items. It's almost entirely one of a kind sold no where else stuff. You can go to mcdonalds a lot of places and find a pretty different menu but it always feels like mcdonalds, its different ingredients served in a mcdonalds like fashion, the french one is just something totally else, it's still fast food, but it kinda tastes like wendy's or something and has a bunch of actually fancy toppings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
ps. I know a nearly sickening amount about regional junk food variation. Did you know that the coke bottling plant in west texas (the town, not the western part of texas) used to make doctor pepper wrong and everyone loved it But eventually coke cracked down and said "you have to actually make the soda correctly" and fixed it. This is why nearly every restaurant in austin texas sells maine root soda. Maine Root "Doppelganger" soda is the copy of the incorrectly made doctor pepper.