Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The grocery store is doing pretty well. They just opened the biggest location yet downtown. I'd love to have checked it out but it opened up the last day of my previous job, a small walk away from my office. Aw well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dunking Log
Day 45

We have been dunking since daybreak. The dunk is relentless. I miss my wife and child.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope Microcenter takes over where the old Fry's locations were. Super unlikely, I know.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Please explain when this has happened to anyone. Every game I 'own' digitally on just about any platform I have free access to redownload and replay at any time. The one exception in my digital library is PT, which was a free demo for a game that ended up getting cancelled. But I'm sure, any day now publishers are going to start yanking away all those games I've paid for. Any day now.

https://youtu.be/5yUmR6eQNrY

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A number of the AAA publishers have been doing that. It's super annoying for Capcom game collections because they'll give some on cart and some on a code.

There's a lot of great indie devs who have waited for their games to be fully completed and patched before printing off physical editions. Shovel Knight will finally get it's physical Switch edition once the last expansion comes out in a few days. And The Witcher 3 managed to fit the whole game and the expansions on one Switch cart. (Not a small indie game, I know.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hungry posted:

There's plenty of reason to go all digital.

:filez:

Piracy is basically the best thing for video game preservation. Pirates and retro enthusiasts have done way more for preservation than the copyright holders have.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I just kinda realized something funny about GameStop. Some of their stores have a designated "Elite" status. I can't remember the qualifications, but I think they were stores that made $x (a million? It probably varies by city) each year.

Years ago, back when I worked there, the only location I knew had the designation was the one that had no stores within ~5 miles any direction.

Now that there's less stores, I noticed a few more Prestige locations in town last time I googled GameStop. Gee, I wonder why.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hot Pink Justice posted:

Prestige is based on survey scores.

They are? I totally forgot. I had too much dignity to beg for surveys.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No, you can get Tron 2.0 from GOG right now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I work in a meat department for a company that's currently in the process of driving out all their experienced meat market managers and folk. Why? Because they make close to twenty dollars an hour, lots of legacy workers from back when we actually cut the lion's share of our meat instead of selling a lot of pre-pack.

I've worked in the department for roughly two months now and we've still not had time to train me how to cut a steak. The time is not there. I know how to do it in theory, but I've only been shown once, and I'm not going to waste hundreds of dollars of ribeye and strip trying to wing out a sleigh of steaks to satisfy some finicky fucks who won't be happy with anything that falls from my knife.

We've people ask us if we cut roasts, or if we'll cut this that or the udder thing for them. No, we don't. No, we can't. Even if I knew how, if I cut anything that isn't authorized, I'll get extremely fired.

People ask me about the merits of this cut of steak versus that cut of steak. Just last night I told a guy, "I don't know, sir. It's a good week if I can afford to buy a cut of steak." It's even worse when people use old or regional names for cuts of meat. Y'all know what the gently caress a hog maw is? Pig stomach. You know what makes it better? When forty different geriatrics all have a different definition of what qualifies as a goddamn ham hock and none of them are satisfied with what you've got in stock.

One of the few rewarding things at work is when I learn to do new tasks and accumulate knowledge so of course they actively discourage it and everyone, managers and customers, get mad when you don't know.

What store do you work for, if you don't mind me asking? I have a friend who's a meat manager at a Sprouts and he's always bitching about how they never give him the hours to give his staff. A couple years back he even cut into his own hours to give some to his employees.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s mostly gonna be boomers who get mad and retail drones. I worked retail a lot longer than I would like to admit and most younger people get the answers they want from the internet. At this point if you expect any real answers from a big box retail stores you are a moron. They gently caress over their workers so much that it’s hard to even find a person that knows where general items are located in the store.

Yeah. I worked in retail for most of my adult life. And now that I'm out, I treat retail employees like royalty. Even if the service I'm getting is bad, because I know they're doing everything they can but haven't been given the tools to do their job proper and is probably barely making his own ends meet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know Abercrombie and Fitch would burn old unsold clothes because otherwise scary ugly homeless people might end up wearing them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had a college professor use the conveyor belt stage in Double Dragon as a metaphor once. Weird.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was how the overloaded US criminal justice system leads attorneys towards getting people to plea out rather than go to trial.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

About a week ago, two high level executives at WWE left the company under undisclosed circumcision. The stock prices went tumbling immediately after the news broke.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's a hell of an autocorrect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

^WWE's been slowly adding more MMA fighters to the roster. Last year, they signed Caine Velasquez, just so they could habe him feud with Brock Lesnar. (Velasquez won in Brock's first UFC fight over a decade ago.)

JustJeff88 posted:

This is spot-on. Vince was born dirt-poor in the Carolinas and never knew his dad, Vince Sr. He developed a hatred for southern people (both Jim Ross and Jim Cornette have often mentioned this), and he met his father later who "sold" him the WWWF New York territory during the days when wrestling was all about regional territories. By "sold", I mean that his father gifted it to him and let him pay him back with profits from the largest and most prestigious territory in the country based out of the largest city in the US. He loves to talk up that "self made man" crap, but talk about starting life on third base.

He became the top dog in wrestling due as much to the gently caress-ups of his competition and the overall huge contraction of the business as anything else, and he only got in it because of accident of birth. He just wanted to be rich and powerful and he had a golden opportunity to do so, but Hussein is right in that he's always been embarrassed by it and wants to get into something "respectable" instead. That's one of the reasons that he literally forbids anyone in his company to call it "wrestling" - because he's embarrassed - and makes them call it "sports entertainment". We've all heard of that huge event every spring, "Sports Entertainmania", of course, where sports entertainers in a sports entertainment ring use sports entertainment holds and throws to win a sports entertainment match.

Vince is one of many on my "can't wait to watch him die" list, but pricks like him live forever. I was a huge wrestling fan as a kid and there is just something so appalling about someone who is the #1 figure in his industry but absolutely hates what made him a billionaire. When it's in an industry where so many guys have suffered so much pain, injury and tedious travel in order to make him what he is, it's just insulting.

If anyone wants to know how big Vince's ego is, the man once wrestled God and won.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 6, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vinyl is back but it's in danger right now. One of the two remaining factories in the world that produced the laquer needed to make records burned down last week.

https://loudwire.com/apollo-masters-fire-vinyl-record-production-endangered/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Tons of people would get horribly sick from those mud runs too because it turns out having hundreds of people running through mud and getting it in your mouth and eyes can some how be a vector for disease????

I remember hearing about one particular incident because the event was held downstream of a chicken farm, so people got sick from chicken poop mixed in the mud.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

Tough Mudder "benefited" a hilarious "charity" the wounded warrior project, which would literally throw parties for soldiers who were injured. That's it. They didn't like... give them money or help them get access to needed things like prosthetics. Nope, they just threw them a party. With the donations and fees. Less expenses.

I would love to read more about this. I always thought there was something skeevy about that organization.

Also I always imagined that their logo was some kind of mutant man with a scorpion tail for an arm.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've had a great idea that would revitalize malls with little effort.

Dramatically lower the rent. Make it affordable to do business.

loving property owners would rather have "high property value" and no tenants than lower perceived property value and paying tenants. This loving economy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Never heard of them. Guess that's why they're bankrupt.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wouldn't count on the government to do anything that would benefit people these days.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty happy to have so much physical media these days.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Digital vs physical games comes up a lot in this thread.

While digital is getting bigger, physical is still here to stay. Last month in particular was big for physical. Final Fantasy 7 Remake is sold out everywhere. Definitely due to a combination of shipping chains being hosed and everyone being quarantined. Physical media is more important now than ever, given that ISPs and digital storefronts throttling their servers due to all the stresses.

Game publishers are trying to make physical media obsolete, but they've been doing it through consumer unfriendly tactics. Many AAA game publishers have been trying to phase out single player games in favor of live services that they can rush out the door in a bare bones state and sell microtransactions perpetually to.

Luckily, there are smaller developers who have been doing really well making indie titles that are usually completed when released, or give free dlc expansions (in the classic actual content sense.) later down the road. And often times they'll wait until the game is totally complete to release the physical edition.

There are also smaller, boutique labels that have been flourishing. Companies like Limited Run Games, Fangamer, and others have been specializing in make beautiful, complete physical editions of formerly digital only games. (How exploitative they are about limiting their numbers and variants is a different can of worms :can:, a different conversation altogether.) And this isn't limited to video games. There's tons of boutique labels for movies and music. Vinyl has been steadily rising for a decade now. Cassettes are coming back. You'll even see demand for minidiscs depending on what music scene you're into.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pretty much every major indie game you can think of has been getting or got a physical release. Especially on Switch. I can't speak for all, but I'm certain many indie developers dream about seeing physical editions of their games.

Just today, Hotline Miami got a Switch physical release across two different labels today and it sold out within the hour.

They've also been working with bigger than indie but not quite large studios to release new physical editions of remasters of old games. LRG has been working to release many of the Star Wars remasters that came out or are coming out.

As of this writing they're still taking preorders for the upcoming Streets of Rage 4 and the newly digitally released Panzer Dragoon Remake. They're even releasing a special edition of loving Chex Quest.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is why I'm saying these things will find new life as boutique products. A lot of these things aren't being bought as someone's first experience with the title. They act as a way to physically preserve the games.

On the film side, The Criterion Collection has been working for decades across many different changes in medium. They've been flourishing, despite all their movies also being available in digital form.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GoG is cool, but it's gotten far bigger than it's old games roots.

Criterion Collection isn't even the only boutique label of physical movies in town. There's Arrow, Olive, Vinegar Syndrome, Shout Factory, and I'm sure some more that I can't think of. They all license from the bigger studios, similarly to Limited Run Games. Arrow has some crazy box sets. Heck, even the bigger studios are now making their own boutique labels for their own films. They're doing well, selling movies, some even older than anyone currently alive right now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. The real meat of their profit came from pre-owned sales. They got super greedy over the years, offering less and less credit for trade and making the pre-owned games cost more and more to the point where a pre-owned game cost a dollar less than a new copy. They even got rid of their discount card a few months ago.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm not smart in business but I kinda think the pandemic had little to no effect on Fry's Electronics since they already shifted to that weird consignment model and gave up on having trivial things like computers, televisions, and up to date graphics cards.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know exactly how this GameStop Surface tablet poo poo is gonna work out because they've been down this road before.

I worked at GameStop for a few years and for a good chunk of it, they gave every store an ipad. The idea was that you could look up customers on it, see other store's inventory, and if there was a line, you could start a transaction on it and ring them through on the main register. All pretty good ideas, but never fully realized.

Typing stuff on a tablet is an incredible pain in the rear end. The inventory tracker wasn't reliable so you'd still have to call the other store to have them check. I don't think we ever used the transaction feature, I think it was never fully implemented or something. The worst was that they gave us quotas on looking up people's power up cards. They wanted us, for every customer, look up their account on the tablet, see what points they had, and encourage them to use their points for poo poo. It felt incredibly invasive. They also wanted us to do it away from the counter, out on the floor, which wasn't going to happen because people naturally went to the counter when they wanted to talk to you and the registers were easier and faster to use. To get around the quota we just looked up our own accounts or pulled up random people so they'd get off our backs during the conference calls.

I mostly used the tablet to watch youtube videos when nobody was there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LionArcher posted:

I've actually gone out of my way to support Gamestop over the years,

Please don't do this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1324479369994211328?s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I work for the state in an investigative capacity (not a cop). A large portion of my job is requesting records from hospitals and banks and sometimes the DMV. One of the major banks and most hospitals require requests to be loving faxed in and will either fax them back or send them via the mail. They refuse to send me records through my secure encrypted government email address, which would take a fraction of the time and be massively easier for me to work with.

COVID has slowed everything down across the board, so there's some slowness to be expected. Wells Fargo laid off 90% of their fraud team so now it takes weeks to get records. Giving their remaining team 90% extra work. Very efficient and innovative. Thanks capitalism!

(Last time I went to the DMV to get a record she had it printed and stapled for all nice before I even sat down.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When I see basic poo poo locked up behind glass I don’t think “oh no I can’t shoplift,” I think “that’s a pain in the rear end. I’m gonna buy it somewhere else.” Stores want me to summon an overworked staff member to get a box of ibuprofen but also only staff the store with an overworked skeleton crew.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do like that Sam’s Club lets you scan and purchase your stuff using the app.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

What they want you to do is put in a pick-up order hours in advance. It sucks so much, there's a whole class of products you can't just walk in and buy now.

They reinvented Service Merchandise, but shittier.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/neilretail/status/1723467588322378136?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

I’d just turn around and get that stuff elsewhere.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even outside the whole humanitarian angle, it’s just humiliating to have to ask someone to get you underwear.

Fry’s (a Kroger grocery store, not the defunct, semi-related electronics store) has been stepping up their non-grocery sections the last few years and have a surprisingly decent clothing section. I usually do get those Longfellow socks at Target but I’ll see what Fry’s has to offer next time I need some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Have you worked retail? Aint nobody gonna confront someone stealing when theyre paid min wage

When I worked at GameStop years ago, the DM made us put these 3DS’s on the back counter so they were visible in an effort to sell them faster. One night, a couple of guys came into the store, and they did that thing I’ve seen a lot where one asks me questions at one side of the store to distract the clerk while the other takes poo poo. I knew it was happening. I noticed that two of those 3DS’s were gone after they left. It was an hour before closing time. I didn’t want to deal with calling the police or my DM. gently caress that. I just pretended I was none the wiser.

Nothing came of it.