Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Dmitri-9 posted:

There was no NIDA research embargo on the other Schedule 1 drugs just cannabis. I'm sure you need a DEA license and everything

The first chapter or two of Rick Stassman's decent book DMT: The Spirit Molecule does a pretty good job laying out the hoops he had to jump through to legally administer DMT to humans. It's a good read for anyone with an interest in the subject, even if the end result of the work described was completely losing his pure-science perspective and then going on to write another book speculating as to whether or not DMT might actually allow communication with some kind of cosmic alien hive mind. (To be fair, I think this just shows the perils of trying to pin down ontology with chemistry in a lab setting; some of these questions have no answer. My own takeaway from DMT was "that was loving weird, intense, and 'real', I have no idea what it means, and I'm not in a hurry to try it again even though I feel like I benefitted from the experience").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

that poo poo ain't illegal. it's only after it's been used that it becomes paraphernalia.

just don't refer to it as an "herb pipe" or "bong"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

people might feel funny about getting high but they will take notice of sick children suffering.

Only if media time is bought and then served to their facebook feeds. This is the landscape we're operating in now.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Toasticle posted:

Has there been any studies in states where private growing is legal in how its affected street dealing?

No idea, but I know someone who sells in a place where it's now legal to grow your own, and he hasn't seen any decline in business.

Growing lovely weed is super easy, but growing really good weed that can compete with commercial grows takes a lot of time and effort and upfront costs, and I think most people just don't care that much, especially people who smoke an eighth a month.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

so, is the smart money that we descend into outright authoritarianism but the gestapo lets us have weed so people are cool with it? :-/

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I saw that on Reddit, and apparently it's because VT might pass it legislatively in short order

yeah but it's a sort of idiotic bill in that it provides no path to tax/sale, to a degree that strong proponents and lobbyists here are accusing the GOP minority of basically trying to tank this by passing a bill that won't bring in revenue and then giving them a way to say "see it doesn't work". We (the state) commissioned a study by the loving RAND corporation which basically concluded that there's a $120,000,000 market in state that could be tapped here, and that doesn't even account for tourism dollars (we may not be CO but we've got a ski lift or two). So, it's just tone-deaf idiocy to proceed with this without tax/sale attached -- especially since the lack of tax revenue in the model was one of the reasons our piece of poo poo governor vetoed this same idea after the legislature overwhelmingly passed it last year. The only reason it's being taken up now is that he's trying to have his cake and eat it too as we roll into election season; I'm going to be out actively banging doors opposing him. (He got elected because the hair-brained Dem candidate wanted to make gun control their signature issue, in a state that has a huge hunting culture and the lowest per capita violent crime rate in the country).

Anyway, that's my VT rant. If this passes I'll be able to grow a couple plants, which is cool, but what I really want is to be able to get 5:1 CBD:THC 510g e-cig carts at the corner store.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

To give the devil his due, Sessions has previously raised the valid point that the current status quo is ridiculous, and that if Congress wants him not to enforce the laws, they need to do their job and change the laws.

To Godwin myself (and maybe divulge my overly simplistic understanding of the 30s), it strikes me a bit like Hitler going on TV in 1934 and saying "Hey Europe, the punitive legislative measures and regulatory framework imposed on my country after the first great war, were excessive and destructive to the economy and social fabric of my country". That is -- Sessions point here on this is certainly valid, true and obvious, but he's also said so much poo poo that is clearly insane, racist and backwards that I think this falls into the "a stopped clock is right twice a day" bucket.

I doubt if you disagree with any of this so I'm really not trying to be argumentative; I just can't stand to see any of these fuckers normalized, to a degree that if someone makes a reasonable point that casts one of them in a light that is other than cartoonishly villainous and conniving, my immediate reaction is to make a Hitler comparison.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Stand by for a massive gray market, consisting largely of packaged goods from Massachusetts weed-shops.

probably, but I personally plan on just straight up giving a shitload of it away. I barely smoke anymore, at least compared to decades past, but I remember how to grow good poo poo, and it seems like a fun little project. People seem to have no problem pulling a gram for watt out of the various pre-fab LED cabinets, so just doing what's allowed under law without pushing it at all, that's like 10 ounces every 6 weeks. I'll smoke 1% of that, but there seems to be little reason to not just grow that and give the rest away. I personally am not going to gently caress around with skirting the retail restrictions through "barter", because the amount of money involved is super not worth the risk to me, even figuring current day east coast prices (which seem to be headed slowly towards convergence with the left coast anyway).

I can't imagine I'm the only person who feels this way. There are a lot of goddamn priviledged ex-hippies around here, it's kind of the big blooming and festering demographic shift that many of the natives are (rightfully) concerned about.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 26, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I found this article fairly depressing.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/meet-crusaders-clean-pot-w517264

quote:

pretty much all of the marijuana in the United States is drenched in harmful chemicals. There's no good way to quantify the problem, because the majority of weed is still sold by drug dealers, and no one has done studies on what smoking or vaping these substances can do to you. But let's just say that if you like pot, you have absolutely exposed yourself to chemicals that can damage your central nervous system, mess with your hormones and give you cancer. There are toxicants in our vape pens, in our fancy prepackaged edibles and in the soil and water near many marijuana farms.

For legal crops, an agrochemical company will create a product to combat a bug or fungus, pay for research and then submit the results to the Environmental Protection Agency for review. But because the federal government is pretending the whole state-legal weed thing isn't happening, the EPA won't put money toward the approval of insecticides or fungicides for marijuana. Legalization has allowed pot to be grown at a larger scale than ever before, requiring far more pesticides, but without EPA guidance, state governments are stuck making educated guesses about what to ban.

NBC Los Angeles found that more than 90 percent of pot products randomly purchased from 15 local dispensaries tested positive for pesticides known to cause health problems. In October 2016, the Berkeley-based Steep Hill Labs found that more than 83 percent of the products they were given over a 30-day period would have failed under Oregon's new regulations.

This makes it sound like stuff from the CA-diversion market is less likely to be clean than the stuff my neighbors grew in college.

One more reason to just grow my own once it's legal here this summer.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But come on this isn't a revelation, if you think all that illegal weed from Mexico or wherever else you've smoked wasn't full of pesticides you're kidding yourself.

what I've noticed in the only markets that I have much insight into (making this highly anecdotal) is local production being offset by boxes of CA overgrow. Mexibrick and beasters have always been sprayed with poo poo and/or processed through dryers set up to shake off kief, but I used to know a bunch of people growing extremely high quality stuff locally who could tell you all about what nutrients they were using and how they flushed it. Of course this still happens, but they're competing with huge price undercuts from CA excess.

I mostly have an academic interest at this point, because I don't smoke much compared to years past and in a matter of months I will be setup to legally self-produce.

The contamination issue is not the only thing I found depressing about that article, by a long shot.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

For me personally that article made me think much more seriously about cultivating my own marijuana and possibly taking any risks associated with it. I have a FL state card, why the hell can't i grow my own weed?

Absolutely agree, that's dumb! My state's "legalization" means I can't buy pot at a store or at all, but I can grow it. We need to get our poo poo figured out, but if the choice was "be able to buy weed but not grow it" or "be able to grow weed but not buy it" I would definitely choose the latter in all universes I can imagine.

Our family consumption is less than 4oz a year; I am looking forward to growing as much as I legally can with a 400w setup and then legit giving the rest away...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

DiamondCBD appears to be a sketchy Florida-based company which is selling potentially lethal synthetic cannabinnoids as "CBD"

I am real tempted to forward the GC/MS results to their local police department, but, not sure anyone is likely to understand/care, given that it is, afterall, florida.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

because there a tons of vendors marketing and selling Hemp oil as CBD and it's bullshit.

I assume you are not talking about vendors like this who publish their GC/MS reports, so what are you referring to?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Yes I am. Just because Hemp oil has trace amounts of CBD doesn't mean you should market it as a medical treatment because it's not. 3.22% is basically worthless as a legitimate medical treatment.

Hemp is not Cannabis, and you can only get medical grade CBD from Cannabis.

I am confused why you think this, and what you think the difference is. Hemp is cannabis, it's the same species of plant (relevant link). The high end "hemp" I can get around here looks like manicured marijuana, and several farmers have told me that even with careful breeding the end product is sometimes "too hot" to sell once tested (meaning, the THC content is > than the 0.3% hemp is allowed to contain). Ultimately the ratio of the various cannabinnoids to each other is what matters, because if you want you can make shatter from CBD buds and approach the same ~90% cannabinnoid content that high end shatter does. (This is Phytodabs entire business model).

"Trace amounts" is sort of a strange statement, too -- lots of the CBD flower being marketed now is >10% CBD -- and that's just unprocessed buds, prior to any extraction into flower. (Example GC/MS). That's a hell of a lot more CBD than most recreational marijuana contains.

I think this is all the wild west right now, and there are definitely a lot of lovely or sketchy CBD products on the market, but I believe that either we are not communicating clearly, or you are misunderstanding something. With the exception of the old CWBotanials Web tinctures (which likely were 'too hot'), I haven't had an experience of getting particularly intoxicated off of a CBD tincture product, but the high-end of the hemp-derived products absolutely obliterate my insomnia and mitigate some of my joint and back problems. Grocery stores have for years sold "hemp seed oil", which is a different animal entirely and has essentially no CBD/THC/etc in it; I would imagine that would not have any of these benefits.

Left to right in this picture is decent pot, decent hemp ("CBD flower") bud, and then shittier/cheaper/less manicured hemp. It's all cannabis.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 9, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I've been perusing SAM's Twitter, and I'm always impressed by their attempts to put a positive spin on anything at all:

Yes, an entire state saying "sure, whatever, go ahead and grow and smoke weed, we're cool with it now" is a staggering blow to the potheads.

Haha, hilarious. As a Vermonter, I think the law is silly because what we should be doing is tax/sale to be the East Coast Colorado (MA has the weed but not the glades) -- and I hope that happens over the next few years. I am hard pressed to see how "grow all the weed you want, given a slightly silly limit on number of plants, and give as much as you want away" is "the end of legalization in the state". Who funds SAM, is it the private prison industry basically? (apparently not, according to their FAQ anyway).

I'm looking forward to everyone having enough weed to just give away to people who don't want to grow it, and at least in the narrow demographics of users I interact with, that's absolutely going to happen.

It's gonna be a green summer and fall here.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Surely throngs of morally upright silent majority Vermonters will come out off the woodwork and pressure the legislature to ban weed forever.
What I glean from Reddit (which is very skewed demographics compared to VT overall, but still) is that most of the people who are upset with Gov Scott's endorsement of our new gun control law, are ALSO upset with how long he dragged his heels on pot. The number of anti-pot posts that show up which aren't from obvious bots is miniscule. I'm not thinking there's a huge rift even among older residents, because most of our old white dudes here drive Subarus with SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CO-OP and MAD RIVER GLEN SKI IT IF YOU CAN bumper stickers.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 11, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Alright, yes, so you are confusing 'hemp seed oil' with 'hemp products'. Right from your own link...

quote:

Hemp oil is produced from the seeds of the hemp plant, much like oils derived from olives, almonds, and coconuts. CBD is produced from the flowers, leaves, and stalks of the Cannabis sativa plant.

The products I am talking about (including the one I linked to a GC/MS of) are made from the "flowers, leaves and stalks of the cannabis sativa plant". I am not talking about "hemp seed oil". Yeah, that's a thing that you can buy in the grocery store, but it's not what anyone is talking about here, until you brought it up. In fact, a lot of what I get is just buds, stalks and leaves be damned since they're garbage for anything other than cooking/extracts.

https://www.greenmountaincbd.com/
https://upstateelevator.com/
https://www.cwhemp.com/
https://cbdhemp.direct/

These are all companies selling 50-state legal products which contain as much CBD as products available in legal states do, they just don't have much THC in them. They are all made from the "flowers, leaves and stalks of the Cannabis sativa plant".The idea that you can't get products with pharmacologically significant amounts of CBD in them outside of legalized states, is just wrong.

I totally agree that no one should try to pass off "hemp seed oil" as a medicinal product, but as far as I can tell, you're the only person making the claim that people are. Maybe that's happening in shittier states? I remain curious where your misconception is coming from.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 16, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

The CBD oil I get from the dispensary has a count of 21%, the last test shown from your green mountain link is showing a count of 1.24% and on the other websites you linked I couldn't find any percentage amount of their products.

right, that's a lab report on a cocnut oil suspension before it's been concentrated and standardized. The end product is 20mg of cannabinoids per ml. You can certainly get stronger CBD products (phytodabs shatter is up to 70-80% CBD by weight), I only linked green mountain because it's what I use because it's been they best ratio of price to desired effects (60-80mg/day is where I like to be). I can certainly provide lab reports of other VT CBD oils which are more concentrated, again, this is just the one I use, but if one understands the chemistry then you know it doesn't matter. I've made a hell of a lot of cannabis extracts in my day, back when I was more willing to periodically fireball my kitchen.

There are strains which can be as high as 20% CBD right on the bud (the CBDHemp direct link I provided has a strain that's 15), but mostly stuff that high is being sold as high grade cbd bud, not extracted. If your dispensary oil is 21%, you can bet they started with plant matter that was a lot less.

anyway, the idea that there's anything magical about dispensary oil that I can't reproduce in my garage with a bunch of cbd bud and a closed-loop extractor, is just wrong. I'll stop beating this into the ground; the thing that triggered me was "hemp is not cannabis", when it literally is. If two products both are full spectrum cannabis extracts, one of them is 10x as concentrated as the other, but the other is dosed 10x as much... you're taking the same thing.

Hemp seed oil is not cbd oil, no disagreement there.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 16, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I like to imagine what the briefings are like about this at MPD. Do they just roll their eyes a lot, are they really spun-up about it, or is there some basic "yeah whatever, bust two of them a month just on principle, not even worth trying to tackle more of them."

there was some early enforcement against a couple vendors, one of whom had his car detailed with giant pictures of bud, last I heard he was in the process of a countersuit. That was the situation when I moved away two years ago; friends who are still there say there's really no enforcement at all these days and these open air "farmer's markets" that get organized on Instagram or wherever are allowed to operate.

presumably the people operating as a real business, "donations" or no, are paying DC tax on their business. Even without a real legal sales mechanism with a sin tax, that's got to be contributing significantly to the city's coffers.

I liked to joke that DC was the only place hosed and divided enough to legalize weed and not make a dime off of it, but then I moved to Vermont...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

This drives me insane also, Godspeed cbd shatter mad scientist (do you really have a closed loop extractor??)

For slightly more content, we tried to grow a high CBD strain (The Wife, 25% CBD) where I work, and there ended up being an issue where it seemed to be against the rules to sell ~0% THC weed. Or they just told us that, but I haven't seen any 0% strains advertised anywhere else.

nah, I've looked at them but I'm waiting for the legal framework here to settle. As written now, you can't work with hexane or butane at home, I'd prefer co2 anyway because fireballs are bad and so are petroleum fumes, but they're really expensive. Once I have a legal op setup, I'm going to get a press and just make rosin for myself and cook the remains into butter.

that's sort of funny, I've never heard of a minimum content. I guess if it's less than 0.3% thc, federally it's not "marijuana", but does that matter?

I want to grow harlequin and white widow. Harlequin can be 20:1 cbd:thc. For totally thc free stuff, I've got to see... since that's not marijuana, it's possible that growing a couple of those doesn't count against my plant limits, I need to talk to the local weed legal experts.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 16, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

It's not labeled, that's the problem. It would be like labeling all beer "contains alcohol".

Everything I buy here is clearly labelled, and I'm pretty sure that the products I'm getting are going to end up being as cheap / cheaper per gram of CBD than whatever you're buying at the dispensary. I'd be real curious to know, though!

quote:

You don't see a problem with a tincture of 3% CBD being the same price as one with 20%?
That is not how the market works, here.

quote:

those websites you posted besides Green Mountain weren't very clear about the amounts of CBD in their products.
Upstate Elevator's products are all very clearly labelled, "1000mg cannabinnoids", "600mg", etc.

CWBotanicals used to be, now they say "25mg hemp extract" which is yes, confusing, because based on my experience with them that probably means "25mg cannabinnoids" but who the gently caress knows (also that stuff is ludicrously expensive, like 10x as much as I pay for high-end).

CBDHemp direct is literally just selling bud, they provide GC/MS per strain, so you can calculate grams of CBD in product by multiplying number of grams purchased * percentage. Notably, it ends up being much cheaper than processed CBD oil, as you'd expect. Ex: "gunpowder" is 11.34% CBD, $239.99 for 1/4lb = 113.25g = 12.84g of CBD = $18/g of CBD.

I'm not disagreeing with you in that there's a lot of sketch and bullshit out there, but it's not hard to find easily quantifiable products with lab results.

Green Mountain is on the lower end per G CBD pricewise for finished products -- but they have been on the record publicly stating that they believe the market is being inflated by nonsense and they are aiming to bring prices down by 50-75% over the next 2 years as they hit scale. We'll see...

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 17, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

You don't think the percentage should be labeled? I think it should be to make everything more transparent. The beer alcohol percentage is actually a pretty good analogy, why can't i see the percentage of CBD in the product I'm buying?

It is labelled. The thing that matters is the total dose you take. That is, if you're consuming 50mg of full-spectrum cannabinnoids it doesn't really matter if it's suspended in 1ml of MCT, 2ml of coconut oil or a quarter tablespoon of butter -- you're getting the same thing either way. Also, if you really want to know the concentration % for some strange reason, knowing the total quantity of cannabinnoids and the volume of the container (both of which are listed on every product I've linked) is all you need, you can use basic math to calculate the concentration. To do this really accurately, you'd need to look up the specific weight of the carrier as well as specific weight of cannabinoids, so we're talking ~9th grade math and not 5th grade basic division. It's not very hard, but it also doesn't really tell you anything of value?

quote:

I pay $60 for 500mg tincture, at 21% from the dispensary.
Assuming that you're paying $60 for 500mg total cannabinoids, which is in a tincture at 21%, that's just over twice the cost of what I usually pay. Is the tincture you're consuming intoxicating / high-THC in it in addition to CBD? If so and you want/need the THC, yea, you're stuck paying the dispensary tax. On the other hand, if all you care about is full-spectrum cannabis extract with a significant and known quantity of CBD in it, Green Mountain is like 40% the cost.

To be really clear and pedantic on the math -- the "21%" is not important, what's important is the "500mg" total cannabinoids. If you take your 21% tincture and mix it with MCT oil at a 1:1 ratio, then you'll have something which is 10.5% CBD, and if you take twice as much of it, you're getting the exact same dose. The total dose is what's interesting, not the weight of the carrier substance. The cost per MG of cannabinoids is what's financially important, not the cost of the carrier substance.

quote:

with something less potent I'm obviously going to be using more so the whole cheaper thing kinda goes out the window.

No. If you're paying $60 for 500mg, that's $0.12 per mg. I pay $30 for 600mg which is $0.05 cents per mg. The fact that the product you're buying is more concentrated just means you're consuming less oil, not that you're saving money (you're spending more).

If I wanted to be real clever and cook my own, then I would get a quarter pound of the high-CBD flower I linked above, decarb and extract it by sautéing it in butter for an extended period, and strain. Assuming 30% loss, that still only ends up costing $0.025 per mg. That's less than a fifth what you're paying now, and about half of what I'm paying. If cost were an issue, I'd definitely just be making butter myself. The nice thing about going that route is that if you're in a legal state and you also want some higher amount of THC in the mix, you can just add whatever other cannabis you want to the CBD flower before cooking.

Downsides to that DIY route are that butter, while very good at pulling out cannabinoids and a number of other parts of the plant, is not going to give you a truly full-spectrum extract. Additionally, the amount of butter needed to approach optimal extraction, is going to be greater than the amounts of other solvents used when this is done industrially, so you're going to have an end product that you have to consume more of to get the same dose. I wasn't kidding about DIY with a closed-loop extractor letting you make dispensary-grade stuff in your kitchen, but the equipment needed to get up and running on that is going to set you back four digits (possibly more if you want to use CO2 and not volatile petro solvents). Depending on where you are and how regulated the market is, a lot of the dispensary oil is almost certainly just stuff some guy cooked up with a closed-loop extractor in his kitchen.

I would apologize for the 10-post derail into the economics of CBD and extraction teks, but it's not like this thread has really been blowing up with content, so I'm letting my long-caged inner :drugnerd: TCC poster out to play for a little bit.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 17, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

In other, possibly worrying news, two pharmaceutical companies appear to be getting close to FDA approval for CBD:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-17/drug-made-from-cannabis-plant-gets-backing-from-fda-staff

https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...i-Syndrome.html

Are we approaching a legal war, where pharma cos with cannabinoid patents start filing patent-infringement lawsuits against hemp and cannabis processing companies? They are calling the latter a "proprietary CBD formulation", which makes me think their IP might be on the carrier and not on the molecule itself, but if we really see the emergence of pharma CBD products with RCTs backing them, I can't believe we're not going to see an attempt to drive full-plant-extract CBD makers out of the business. FWIW, I have never found CBD isolate to be nearly as effective for anything, as full-spectrum.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

Of course a lot of INSYS executives should be in prison for illegally distributing fent.

My senator is actively trying, anyway: https://www.statnews.com/2018/04/17/bernie-sanders-bill-jail-opioid-crisis/

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

The bill that the legislature finally came to support is more conservative than the initial ballot question, so doesn't allow social clubs, and limits plants to 3 instead of 6. They expect to have their first legal commercial sales in spring 2019.

Good for them but VT needs to get this poo poo fixed because our tax base is shrinking and we're losing the race to market. We've got the slopes, and really none of these other NE states can say that. We need to set it up so that tourists can trivially buy $50 slices of taxed primo on their way to spend $150 skiing for a day.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

MooselanderII posted:

As a practical matter, it is unlikely stores will be open in Massachusetts before the fall, but I would love to be wrong

well that's a bummer, I've been slacking on reupping here on the VT side and I'm going to run out before my fall harvest, and I was thinking "eh sweet I'll just hop the border for some of that sweet retail weed". Nerp. By the time your stores are running I'll be on the Free Weed Forever plan.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Unkempt posted:

Happy Legal Weed Day, Vermont!

:toot:

I'm trying to give 4 plants away to people on reddit :-P

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

LeoMarr posted:

I had a federal marshall walk into my dispensary, our rules say " If you are a member of law enforcement please leave" so he asked me "hey im a federal marshall and my loving back is killing me, can i be an exception??" Yes of course; he comes out like MAN IF ALL COPS DID THIS WEED WOULD BE LEGAL IN A WEEK after rubbing half a container of menthol loation on himself.

Get in on it now folks, 5 years or less we will we this industry bloom into a giant.

I am watching with bated breath to see what happens with increasing legalization in my little green state, because as soon as we have recreational sales there are going to be people trying to get in on it who need to establish some kind of web / mobile / etc presence, and suddenly there will be demand in the industry for my skill set.

I can grow pretty good weeds, too, but trying to horn into the supply side seems like a much tougher battle than finding someone else who's made inroads there and has a specific need for someone who does what I do professionally.

edit: just gave some plants away to a random redditor who's never grown weed before this is awesome :metal:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 5, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Well, that took less than 2 weeks.

https://vtdigger.org/2018/07/11/weed-entrepreneurs-push-boundaries-vermonts-legalization-law/amp/

quote:

“To celebrate, we’re offering FREE CANNABIS GIFTS to everyone over the age of 21 living in or visiting Chittenden County!” says the Facebook post announcing their services. “You simply pay a delivery fee for secure, discreet delivery of your gift to your home, office, hotel or a local meeting place!”

The gifts vary in size based on the delivery fee customers pay: $50 dollars will pay for the delivery of an eighth of an ounce, $170 will get customers half an ounce, and $320 will cover a full ounce, the post explains.

Rolling Flower’s business model is just one example of how Vermont cannabis entrepreneurs are looking for ways to start up or advance their businesses in the wake of a narrow legalization law that allows limited possession and cultivation. Selling the drug remains illegal.

Giving up to an ounce of marijuana to others for free is legal, however, and law enforcement officials in Vermont have yet to weigh in on the legality of businesses like Rolling Flower who “gift” marijuana to customers while charging them an inflated fee for related products or services.

I guess I should find a discreet Chittenden coffee house to hang out in, though driving to Burlington is pretty obnoxious. If this continues to fly, it's still going to be some period of time before anyone is offering deliveries to the boonies.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 12, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

pretty happy our law so far has worked out as it has, and I can just self produce, give a ton away and never spend a dime.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

bango skank posted:

what loving danger is there of a kid getting into a container of flower?

Eating straight-up flower can get you pretty blitzed, and lol if you don't think little kids will eat significant amounts of random plant matter. As a parent I'd see the risk as only marginally less than a container of concentrate (and I keep all that stuff behind multiple doors and locks).

The law sounds loving stupid, but that's a different story. It doesn't intuitively make sense to me to be worried about this in a way that we're not concerned with liquor, and I doubt if California requires your liquor bottles to be sold in sealed plastic.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 2, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

There's documentation that the curing process decarbs weed to some extent. If you don't believe me, though, go eat an entire eighth of really good weed. As I said, I did this myself, once, with 2.5ish grams of not great weed and got quite blitzed. This is not a controversial idea. It's also not very efficient but that's not really relevant given the context. Likewise, reports of animals getting into raw weed and showing symptoms of intoxication are out there. I'm not going to pay someone to eat an ounce because if you want to get sick you can do it on your own dime, stream or not.

I had some extra plants that I gave to random people from Reddit; this is great! making friends and following the law

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 6, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

I have done this multiple times on a dare before, I have literally eaten an oz before and had nothing happen. I have paid my rent with this bet lmao. Which means it might boil down to biology.

yup, certainly could be, doesn't seem to be much in the way of hard data. I know eating it raw gets me baked, that's all I can say with certainty.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

well, yeah, a pack of cigarettes has enough nicotine to kill an adult if you get it all at once.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.thestar.com/news/cannab...n-official.html

just lol

quote:

WASHINGTON—Canadians will be barred from entering the United States for smoking marijuana legally, for working in Canada’s legal marijuana industry and for investing in legal Canadian marijuana companies, a senior U.S. Customs and Border Protection official says.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

3 months in I can confirm that daily life in Canada is exactly the same post-legalization.

Aside from seeing weed shops and ads you'd never know the difference.

:shrug:

Eight months in in VT, and I've spent almost nothing on pot and given away ~a quarter pound.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I left messages for my local reps about Vermont S.54, the tax & sell bill; one of them called me back and we had a fifteen minute conversation. I have my own concerns that it pushes small producers who want to sell a little on the side out of the market; my rep had his own concerns that it was just going to be a cash grab for law enforcement and the revenue would dry up in a year or two as prices fall.

It passed the senate with a veto-proof majority, though; we'll see. I'd prefer the status quo to a bad tax & sell bill.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Vermont is trying to pass a bad legalization bill s.54 that caps sales at 30% thc flower, 60% concentrates, bans "non cartridge oils" (unclear how they classify concentrates vs oil)

I'm already set up for free weed and dabs forever, but I'll be calling my reps to oppose this on principle.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Vermont is trying to pass a bad legalization bill s.54 that caps sales at 30% thc flower, 60% concentrates, bans "non cartridge oils" (unclear how they classify concentrates vs oil)

I'm already set up for free weed and dabs forever, but I'll be calling my reps to oppose this on principle.

I called all my reps today to make sure that they know that the upshot of the current law, if it's passed, is that someone who gets stopped with 4g shatter that's 70% THC and says "I bought it in a store", it's evidence of a crime -- but if they say "Tim Raines IRL made this at home with a closed-loop extractor and gave it to me for no remuneration" that's legal

super enforceable guys

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

Where are you getting that there's a proposal to limit concentration? I read the bill, s.54 as passed by the senate, and there's nothing in there that mentions 70% for concentrates, or anything else about concentration limits except wrt differentiating from hemp

From the current version of the bill as passed by the senate... and since amended by the Ways & Means committee:

https://legislature.vermont.gov/Doc...ns~5-9-2019.pdf

quote:

§ 868. PROHIBITED PRODUCTS
8 (a) The following are prohibited products and may not be cultivated,
9 produced or sold pursuant to a license issued under this chapter:
10 (1) cannabis flower with greater than 30 percent tetrahydrocannabinol;
11 (2) solid concentrate cannabis products with greater than 60 percent
12 tetrahydrocannabinol;
13 (3) oil cannabis products except for those that are sold prepackaged for
14 use with battery-powered devices; and
15 (4) cannabis products that contain delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol and
16 nicotine or alcoholic beverages.

Brilliant legislation. I asked all of my lawmakers to please kill this; at least one of them (D) has a bunch of other problems with it too.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

KingEup posted:

Hey guys, if we inject people with pure THC the go psychotic:

https://twitter.com/ErikMessamoreMD/status/1176585412845998085?s=20

Some of the most classic posts from these very forums, were from ~15 years ago when user AcidKore engaged in producing a series of lab-based increasingly pure cannabis oils, first making them transdermally active with DMSO, and then eventually doing IV and posting a trip report. He certainly reported being incapacitated and having full-blown hallucinations of a type which seemed alien compared to smoking pot in any quantity, but it didn't make him any more psychotic than he was to begin with.

These idiots should next study the effects of IV administration of alcohol or nicotine.