Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Hopefully things go okay from here, Alan Wake will wait till you've recovered, it's already waited for a literal year. (The best kind of year for writers like Alan! :D )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

I was considering it at one point, but now I have un-considered it because jesus christ these games are impossible. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk3g_C6Yqko
(starts at 5:00-ish)

Second part of the stream is up! Max's adventure concludes as I die a thousand painful deaths, the game tears itself apart, and I draw art.

You could probably do it if you used some heavy editing and either cut out the deaths or sped it up with some music in the background, and there's a pretty good mod for MP2 to make it use MP3's character models and combat systems. Not sure if it rebalances the difficulty thanks to the fact that you can only carry two handgun weapons and a heavy weapon though.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

White Coke posted:

How so? Having only ever known a post Twin Peaks World I have no frame of reference.

I'm not sure on the timeline for this, but most TV shows prior to twin peaks were heavily weighted in favor of procedurals and bad guy of the week style. Twin peaks didn't really have that same feel to it, it felt more like a movie in the way that it had an overarching plot that few shows prior to it really pulled off well.

Or I could be completely wrong and talking out of my rear end.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Just for those of you who have netflix, both seasons of Twin Peaks are available for streaming. As well as Amazon prime's free streaming. If you don't have either of these, I'm sure the internet can hook you up.

As far as discussions go, I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said in the synopsis and thoughts, but just know that if you don't enjoy the first episode that much, do keep at it, the show opens very very slowly but it is probably one of the best TV shows of all time.

And then season 2 happened but we'll get there.

Edit: Also echoing what Skippy said, this is a very good writeup, and I look forward to seeing how you're going to fit the whole of Twin Peaks into two more chapters of Alan Wake. Unless you plan on doing American Nightmare immediately in the same thread.

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 15, 2017

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

I don't! American Nightmare will have its own thread, but we'll continue the discussion there. I have my posting order segmented pretty well, I think. I think? I guess we'll see!

edit: That said, there's 4 more chapters of Alan Wake! Don't forget about the DLC episodes :toot:

Oh right the DLC, I forgot about that. Well hopefully you can get this all archived properly once it's all done, maybe have Baldurk put it in both of the archives for this and American Nightmare.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

Oh yeah, this will all have its own spot in the OP. I just have to draw it up first, and boy are my fingers tired after typing that up in one sitting. I don't know how nine-gear crow does it!

He's always hyped up on anime plane games would be my guess. Also he's got a lot of effort stored up from not updating PoP 2008.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
My girlfriend, who has only seen the first episode when I had her watch this with me says that she thinks that Audrey Horne killed Laura Palmer.

Having seen the whole show myself I am abstaining from speculation.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yeah. Have some of that gum you like.

I hear it's coming back in style.

It may in fact already be.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Haerc posted:

Talking about being tall on your latest DS3 stream;

I feel you on the height bullshit, I'm 6'5", and it sucks. Gotta order tall shirts online, and I wear size 15 shoes, so those are a pain in the rear end to find too.

Same. I'm pretty sure my boss hired me partly because I can reach heavy stuff on higher shelves than everyone else at the store I work at.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

Bad news about the Twin Peaks watchalong. I've decided that I don't really wanna bother with it, sorry. It was fun, but I'd have to really squeeze to fit the whole show in before the Alan Wake LPs are over. I also am just not really in a good creative spot at the moment. On the bright side, you can watch the rest of the series now without having to wait patiently for me to get off my clinically depressed rear end and do another writeup! I hope I helped get some people into the show and hopefully get hyped for its return in May. Thanks for participating, everyone!

Sad to see it go, I really enjoyed the writeups but I suppose there's only so much you can write for every episode, and it is probably a big drain on you to think so critically about it. I appreciate the writeups thus far and I'm now watching through it with my girlfriend for the May return.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Would watch a prey stream. Would watch a bloodborne lp more though.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

Interesting stuff as ever, Scalding Coffee! I do so enjoy reading posts about The Science of Wake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb90Lizxts&t=991s

I've decided to start speed running The Surge because it is a fantastic game and is a blast to play through real quick. Here is the video archive of my first official run's stream, in case you'd like to watch me go real fast. Went very very well, lots of room for improvement but I'm definitely happy for this as my first 'official' attempt.

Aside from a few hiccups towards the end, you did real well, under 3 hours for the whole game and there's a lot of stuff to shave off even that.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
One thing that I always assumed was that people touched by the darkness remember Thomas Zane. The lamp lady obviously remembers him as a real person and while the town itself has mostly forgotten him outside of a spooky story or a local legend Tor and Odin remember him too, calling Alan Tom whwn they talk with him like they are old buddies. They probably either interacted with him the same way Alan is, or they are old enough that they actually knew Tom when he encountered the Dark Presence. It's worth noting that the dark presence appeared as Barbara Jagger to them as well, much like with Alan, but they know her as Baba Yaga, because mythology and such.

Regardless of the quality of Alan's overall writing, he must have some chops to set up the meta-narrative between him and Zane. And while I think they could have gone more in detail about Zane and what he did, I think leaving it an unsolvable question as to whether or not Alan wrote him in or was written in, was an excellent story beat. And it's a bit of a shame that the rest of the game doesn't quite live up to all this buildup.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RHdrmZsNs0

When's the LP for this one gonna happen CJacobs?

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7JbFBq4NAo

First Bubsy, now this? Looking forward to this LP too.

(Also hurray for Silent Hill LP)

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I think when you think of the idea that they were going for with the narrative, it's supposed to feel more vast and deep and far reaching than it actually winds up being in practice. Mostly because as much as he would prefer it, Sam Lake is not a writer with supernatural powers over reality and some of his writing kinda falls flat.

That said, Alan wake is one of my favorite games ever and I really wish they could have gotten funding for a sequel.

Great LP CJacobs! Try not to drive yourself insane while exploring the dlc and American Nightmare.

(I always took the ending line to be more of a sequel bait kind of move where the darkness isn't just confined to cauldron lake anymore, but has power and reach far beyond what we've seen thus far, thanks to Alan's writing. He even says that it's a long hard road back to the light, as thoigh he still has to travel it. So yeah, Alan unleashed the darkness in exchange for saving his wife, now he's gotta stuff the lid back on Pandora's box.)

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 4, 2017

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

BioEnchanted posted:

There is one difference - Sprint offered him more money.

Also they actually allowed him to be gay. His verizon contract actually had stipulations that he couldn't "embarrass the brand"

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJlSeRgmjzs

Here it is, finally.

This episode may look and sound a bit weird quality wise- it's a long story. First, I streamed this part on Twitch and that was a mistake because it dropped the stream (my internet did not drop) and separated the video into two halves. I exported both halves and rendered them, but then SME copyright claimed the video and got it blocked worldwide because of 30 seconds of a song that played during a cutscene, underneath the dialogue, which I was talking over. Putting that absolute bullshit aside, I used YouTube's automatic song removal feature to get rid of it and unblock the video because I didn't want to re-render it, but it decided to screw up the audio and it ended up being desynchronized by 30 seconds after a day of processing. So I re-rendered it myself last night and here it is now. What a shitshow. Sticking to YouTube streaming from now on!

Yeah twitch can be atrocious sometimes, even if youtube doesnt like my connection very much. loving Toto music tends to be hit super hard even when it's covered by other stuff and I don't understand why.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

SgtSteel91 posted:

One of the best parts of your Quantum Break streams was you losing your mind at the Alan Wake easter eggs

The Return teaser trailer got the best reactions in my opinion. It is so very clear that Remedy would rather have continued Alan Wake than make Quantum Break, but they did their best with QB regardless. I hope some day we get AW2.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was hoping there would be a power for dashing huge distances in the air and slowing falls.

You mean like some sort of... shoot-dodge mechanic? Naw, that's crazy talk!

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
They actively look for reasons and loopholes they can use to deny claims. If doctor signatures or documents don't match up even for like minor spelling errors they will actively deny the claims. The american healthcare system is a for-profit industry that is based on essentially giving people money. They have a vested interest in denying literally every claim they see. It's absolutely hosed and the fact that people can have life threatening health issues and they can deny it as not medically necessary is absolutely disgusting.

Anyhow the dark souls stream is good and fun, shame I wasn't able to be there for any of it.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Bloodborne is the best souls game.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
And an excellent 300 year journey it was. Now we all have jetpacks and worship the holy sky boat for gifting us with the knowledge of flight.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

bman in 2288 posted:

I miss Barry.

Same. American Nightmare when CJacobs? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

I've never seen this. It looks great! Definitely putting it on my watch list.

I don't know! Maybe when the second playthrough of Silent Hill 1 is over and done with. My free time is kind of at a premium right now so it'll be a little while I think.

Holy poo poo you haven't seen In the Mouth of Madness? Watch it like tonight. It's really really good.

• Locked thread