Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

While I was at my parents house over Thanksgiving a few years ago I happened upon a movie called The Drop (2014), and it was the best film I had seen all that year.

I can't really talk about the movie without spoiling it, so I will just ask what movie you watched either randomly or went in expecting a poo poo nugget but getting XBOX gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
A couple movies off the top of my head that I was surprised about being quite good were Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai and Dredd. 13th Warrior was also pretty cool.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Mummy. I went to the theater unwillingly with some friends who dragged me along. I expected it to be nothing more than a lame horror movie, so when I realized early on that it didn't take itself seriously it suddenly became amazing.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
seeking a friend for the end of the world ended up being a romcom i really really liked

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Dead or Alive is, in fact, the only movie based on a video game franchise to remain 100% true to its source material, and be a good action comedy.

It also helps that it's genuinely funny and doesn't take itself seriously.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Alamo draft house does a thing where they show old VHS movies for a buck. They're almost always terrible but I did see a movie called Hauntedween which was a super low budget horror thing and you should watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJoMj7i7lJk

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I thought Hacksaw Ridge looked pretty saccharine (and it was) but it's actually really loving hardcore when they get to the battles. Like, it's a legitimately terrifying depiction of war.

Coaaab posted:

seeking a friend for the end of the world ended up being a romcom i really really liked

Totally love this flick. Rob Corddry in 'fuckit' mode is wonderful.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I normally don't like romantic comedies much but a friend made me watch Kate and Leopold and it's really good. Seriously. I was expecting some formulaic, insufferable Jane Austenesque drudgery and I was glad to be disappointed. Check it out.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Miss Lady and I are pretty committed badfilm fans, so when Heavy Weights popped up on netflix I got irrationally excited. It's a camp movie about a fat camp slugging it out with those snobs across the lake, that's a rock solid pitch. Turns out Ben Stiller is up in there doing just elite blocking humor, plus a bunch of kids committing crimes they could be tried as adults for, between these ideas it turned out to be legit pretty fun. I was disappointed that it wasn't what I was hoping for, but it was unexpectedly good for different reasons. I wish it sucked more, but you can't have everything

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I agree with the guy about Dredd, which I skipped seeing in theaters with a friend bc I figured it would be a boring self-serious comic movie and it turns out it was a loving badass action movie so I wish I hadn't.

When I was younger my friends and I used to gather to watch horror and would just rent/bring whatever random poo poo we could find (pre-streaming days). The movies were almost always bad but occasionally we'd discover something really cool we hadn't expected anything from; the two that stand out in my mind are The Descent (2005) which is imo one of the best horror movies of the 21st century and Midnight Meat Train which was a real good time.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Get the Gringo was a good modern Mel Gibson movie that I found hidden away on netflix a while ago.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

While I was at my parents house over Thanksgiving a few years ago I happened upon a movie called The Drop (2014), and it was the best film I had seen all that year.

I can't really talk about the movie without spoiling it, so I will just ask what movie you watched either randomly or went in expecting a poo poo nugget but getting XBOX gold.

As Above, So Below was one I really liked that I thought looked like another garbage found-footage film, but it turned out to be a really fun adventure-horror. I actually really enjoyed The Lobster, too! Based on the trailers and reviews, I was worried it'd turn out kind of pretentious and boring, but the characters were so interesting that I kept watching.

Another recent one I saw was the live-action Jungle Book. It was playful, very pretty, wasn't a gritty reboot, and Bill Murray as Baloo was perfect.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The Mummy. I went to the theater unwillingly with some friends who dragged me along. I expected it to be nothing more than a lame horror movie, so when I realized early on that it didn't take itself seriously it suddenly became amazing.

Lol this movie has a special place in my heart because it was the first movie we ever got on DVD. I've posted this before in CineD, but I was so excited that I didn't have to rewind the tape after watching that I would replay it over and over again.

I think I'll have to give it another viewing now as an adult for the heck of it, thanks for reminding me! :3:

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Saw Kung Pow: Enter the Fist in theaters. Went in expecting garbage-tier Rob Scheider-level shenanigans and instead got a hodgepodged kung fu flick full of wonderful weirdness.

Mister Macys posted:

Dead or Alive is, in fact, the only movie based on a video game franchise to remain 100% true to its source material, and be a good action comedy.

It also helps that it's genuinely funny and doesn't take itself seriously.

Also seconding this. Dead or Alive is wacky and fun and doesn't give a rat's rear end about being anything else.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Ravenous, I just decided to watch it late at night expecting a dumb horror movie. Instead I got a really cool and creepy cannibal film.

And Red Dawn (the original), I'd heard about it and was expecting a really dumb right wing propaganda flick. I only bothered watching it because I was tired of all the references the film got that flew over my head. I was surprised it had really good action and some nuance. Then I saw that awful remake and the original got bumped up to classic in my mind.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Saw Kung Pow: Enter the Fist in theaters. Went in expecting garbage-tier Rob Scheider-level shenanigans and instead got a hodgepodged kung fu flick full of wonderful weirdness.

Yeah, I'd been putting it off for a long time, the trailers just made it look completely insufferable. But when I did end up watching it, it actually turned out to be pretty good. On a similar note, I ended up watching The Handmaiden more or less by accident because I was on a "weird korean movie" roll. It was still plenty weird, but also legitimately really good.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 11, 2016

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Get the Gringo was a good modern Mel Gibson movie that I found hidden away on netflix a while ago.

I saw part of it a few years ago, it looked fun.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The new teenage mutant ninja turtles movie was far better than I expected, and making Will Arnettes character Gob was a stroke of genius. Can't speak to the sequel tho

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The most recent example I can think of is Hell or High Water. Great movie that I had almost zero expectations for going in.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

The Lego Movie was a lot better than I was expecting it to be.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Cannibal Holocaust

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Raid was a movie I watched on Netflix at random and it became my favorite action/martial arts movie of all time

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Trollhunter, OP

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coaaab posted:

Yeah I liked that too. It's kinda sad that the world really did end though.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Slingblade
Kung Fu Hustle
From Dusk til Dawn

I stumbled upon those before they became big cult hits, pre-internet I think.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A recent conversation with some friends reminded me of a time when they had a pleasant surprise. When Rise of the Planet of the Apes was in the cinema I had to practically drag them to go se it. The only Apes, film either of them had seen previously had been the awful Tim Burton one. Afterwards they both bought the DVD and looked forward to the sequel.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Brothers Grimsby. Yeah, I thought it was going to be terrible. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Yeah, it was stupid, but...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A few years ago my wife and I were in the mood for a stupid mindless comedy. We perused Netflix and found a movie called Humpday. The cover was of two goofy naked dudes looking at each other. Seemed like just the kind of garbage we were wanting. Turns out it's a gripping and fascinating movie with a lot to say about male sexuality. I didn't know it at the time but it was my first foray into mumblecore.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The Drop was really quite excellent.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
Seventh Son for me. Pretty typical medium budget action fantasy, but dammit if Julianne Moore and Jeff Bridges didn't give 110%. Hammy sure, but committed, and different enough to not feel rote. I also think the graphic design was exquisite. Not an A+ movie but highly watchable and very sincere.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Big Man Japan (2007) - it was the first time I had seen a semi-serious project from Matsumoto, who is more known for being a comedian. Really dug the concept of super heroes having to wear logos on their bodies for promotional deals.

IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0997147/

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Manchester by the Sea. My parents took me to this one when I was in town for the holidays. I was expecting some gawdawful romance story, but instead I got a half-finished if extremely heartfelt story about guilt and loss. Surprisingly good if anything.

Also, RV(2006). I was expecting a cheesy and bad comedy, but I found it be really really funny. Also I was like 13 at the time so that might've been why.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.

Plutonis posted:

The Raid was a movie I watched on Netflix at random and it became my favorite action/martial arts movie of all time

I randomed into this when some roommates woke up and decided to head to the theatre and watch whatever sounded good. One of my favorite movie-going experiences and one of my favorite action movies of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

im not really a Harry Potter person but i thought fantastic beasts was actually pretty fun. i liked it more than any of the school movies

• Locked thread