Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
This is the thread to talk about movies based on video games, good, bad, or in between.

This is not the place to talk about video games that are composed of so much cutscene they're practically movies like Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4 and Xenosaga. (But if you want to you can talk about them and I won't complain, report you, or try to stop you.)

I'll kick us off with a couple questions and some bad opinions.

Was Mortal Kombat the first video game based movie to be genuinely good?

Raul Julia's performance as M. Bison in Street Fighter is just glorious.

Didn't Vin Diesel make them agree to let him play Agent 47 in the Hitman movies once he lent the character his voice? (This might be an urban legend.)

What the gently caress even was Blood Rayne?

The Super Mario Brothers movie was amazing goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I thought that Hitman : Agent 47 was an okay popcorn film. hitman kills people and that's cool.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I will leave this as an argument in support of Video Game Movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzAMmpMra8

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Another topic of discussion that I think is worth bringing up is how the film industry is learning from video games. Not in movies based on video games, but taking video game tropes and sticking them in movies and TV.

The two big examples I can think of are Edge of Tomorrow and Westworld, both of which take video game concepts like respawning or dealing with NPCs or the way video game players interact with the world knowing that it's a game, and see how those concepts can play out in a film setting. I think they're both cool and a much better indication of what video games can add to the movie industry than just the fact that Michael Fassbender is Mr. Assassin Creed or whatever.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
My dad took me to see the live action Mario movie when I was a kid. to this day I have no idea what the gently caress that movie was about and what it had to do with Mario. All I remember is people turning into lizards or some poo poo.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

My dad took me to see the live action Mario movie when I was a kid. to this day I have no idea what the gently caress that movie was about and what it had to do with Mario. All I remember is people turning into lizards or some poo poo.

I remember the elevator scene and how it owned.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Boy, that Warcraft movie sure was something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bob James posted:

Boy, that Warcraft movie sure was something.

It was a lot more fun than the reviews had led me to expect. It's got the feel of a big budget Beastmaster and that's awesome.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The only good thing about the Super Mario Brothers movie was that Mario & Lugigi's boots were reused in the prison from "Face/Off"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mortal Kombat will always have a special place in my heart. They distilled the videogamey part of the story down to the bare essentials and got it out of the way quickly, and then just focused on strange dudes beating up other dudes in cool locales. Plus it featured Christopher Lambert in probably his best role :allears:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

A Spider Covets posted:

God he was just so good. So good. What a tragic loss, sincerely. He put his heart and soul into every role. Nobody told Raul Julia this movie was a joke and even if they did he would have taken it seriously.

The Adams Family is still the best TV family. The healthiest relationships, the most accepting. I just love the scene in Values where they try to exorcise the weirdness out of their baby then realize it's just who he is and who he wants to be and they accept it and try to do their best for him to raise him in a manner that supports him and his identity. They don't try to force their way of life on him. So good.

vyelkin posted:

Another topic of discussion that I think is worth bringing up is how the film industry is learning from video games. Not in movies based on video games, but taking video game tropes and sticking them in movies and TV.

I honestly think it's very back and forth and a bit incestuous (but not exactly in a bad way... it's complicated.) The film and game industries very much cannibalize off each other. Kind of learning from one another and cribbing from each other reciprocally. It's had the effect of largely making both industries better.

Silent Hill 2 was hugely influenced by several movies and takes scenes almost frame by frame from them. The Silent Hill movie features frames almost copy pasted from the Silent Hill games. This is very self contained, a movie about a source taking from its own source. There are many situations were movies not about video games borrow scenes directly from video games.

It opposite is also true. (The opposite being video games not about movies taking directly from movies. Just so we're clear.)

One of the consequences of movie influence on video games is the super long cutscenes. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not. One of the things video games did to put a gaming aspect into cinematic portions was to add Quick Time Events. That was terrible and I'm glad that phase is over.

This is a good topic of discussion.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 4, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Resident Evil movies also had a few scenes that were taken basically 1:1 from the game. Come to think of it, I actually kind of enjoy those movies. They're a complete trainwreck, but it's a trainwreck that the director just kept on polishing until it's the shiniest and most entertaining trainwreck around.

Schrecken
May 21, 2016

Child of Woe

Jenner posted:

The Silent Hill movie features frames almost copy pasted from the Silent Hill games. This is very self contained, a movie about a source taking from its own source.

Speaking of Silent Hill, whatever issues I may have with the story or deviations from the game I really do think the film did a great job with the atmosphere and replicating or re-imagining scenes and certain camera angles. The scene with the Grey Children is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpViwxkL0dc

The look of the film is great, and I do appreciate the use of soundtracks directly from the games. The creatures also look nice and very recognizable. I also really did like certain changes, such as the light snowfall from the first game becoming falling ash in the movie. I don't feel that an adaptation needs to be 100% accurate, and Silent Hill did a lot of things very right.

Schrecken fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 4, 2016

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH61uqfZqxQ

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

John Woo was going to make a Metroid movie :(

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Mortal Kombat is the best video game movie. Street Fighter is a meh video game movie but a fun action movie. Who else wants to go up that reever with me? Or do you want to take the pussy way out and just go home?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn_4KlFmkbU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I honestly thought this was a fan trailer at first

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Didn't George Romero direct a Resident Evil commercial?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

A Spider Covets posted:

Raul Julia is the poo poo and all but if he doesn't remember the day she's talking about how does he know it was a tuesday?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mortal kombat is a good movie until you realize its basically a remake of enter the dragon

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Budgie Jumping posted:

Raul Julia is the poo poo and all but if he doesn't remember the day she's talking about how does he know it was a tuesday?

In Shadaloo all days are Tuesday.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the best video game movies aren't faithful adaptations, they're campy and fun. see: Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Empress Brosephine posted:

mortal kombat is a good movie until you realize its basically a remake of enter the dragon

mortal kombat the game was originally supposed to be a licensed jean claude van damme game and the enter the dragon plot was a relic from that

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

There was never a way to do a live action Super Mario movie. What we got was imaginative and weird, I like that in retrospect but didn't like it as a kid. Hoskins and Leguizamo gave some personality to Mario and Luigi, they have no personality in the source material. it was a good big/little brother thing they had going. Dennis Hopper is a good villain.

It should've just been a big screen animated feature if they wanted it to be more of a video game adventure, but I really like the Mario Bros. movie.

Mortal Kombat is video game movie perfection though.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I guess Silent Hill is pretty good. The best parts about it were things taken directly from the game, either in terms of monster design or just literally the exact same cinematography and music. But hell it works and it's not terrible.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jenner posted:

Was Mortal Kombat the first video game based movie to be genuinely good?

No. It was poo poo. It's only redeeming feature is the soundtrack. The fighting is slow, the acting bad for direct to video, the effects cheap, and the turnarounds are what a child would write. Paul W.S. Anderson is a bad director and a God awful poo poo writer. America's Uwe Boll.

Dead or Alive is the first, and I daresay only genuinely good (not to say others aren't fun) video game movie. It's 100% true to its source material (martial arts, gratuitous T&A, and volleyball), well choreographed, acceptably acted, and doesn't take itself seriously.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 5, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when Hoskins was asked what the worst movie he ever worked on was, he said "Super Mario Bros." with little hesitation

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I want to read that interview as long as it's exclusively about the motion picture Super Mario Bros.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

N. Senada posted:

I want to read that interview as long as it's exclusively about the motion picture Super Mario Bros.

He and leguizamo would drink to get through filming evidently

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Where is the tell-all book? I need to know more about behind-the-scenes of Super Mario Bros. the Motion Picture.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
According to List of films based on video games, the best reviewed video game movie ever, with a whopping 44% on Rotten Tomatoes, was....... Final Fantasy The Spirits Within :eyepop:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Mortal Kombat 1, Super Mario Brothers and Street Fighter are the only video game movies that aren't complete horseshit.

The Silent Hill and Resident Evil films are tied for worst adaptation of anything ever.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I actually really enjoyed the Silent Hill movie, it's one of a few films I've seen more than once in theater. Apparently there were sequels? I don't even remember them being advertised.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

vyelkin posted:

According to List of films based on video games, the best reviewed video game movie ever, with a whopping 44% on Rotten Tomatoes, was....... Final Fantasy The Spirits Within :eyepop:

I saw that in theaters, and I was so loving disappointed.

Would've been a slightly better experience had it never had the Final Fantasy name attached to it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

vyelkin posted:

Not really that surprising, it had little to do with video games (I'm not that familiar with FF, did it have anything real connections to any of the games?) so it was essentially just a movie. And people were really impressed with the CG animation at the time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Baka-nin posted:

Not really that surprising, it had little to do with video games (I'm not that familiar with FF, did it have anything real connections to any of the games?) so it was essentially just a movie. And people were really impressed with the CG animation at the time.

it bombed both critically and commercially and almost killed square right before the square-enix merger

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Noticed a few different people mention Silent Hill. I hesitate to call it an actually good movie but it's well done atmospherically and actually shows chops visually. If you're in a more visual/visceral movie kinda mood it's mad good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mortal Kombat is the best video games-based movie of all time.

• Locked thread