Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

it bombed both critically and commercially and almost killed square right before the square-enix merger

Yeah it did, the post I was quoting mentioned that it only got 44% on average which isn't very good, though I wouldn't exactly call it a critical bomb, that's just below average. But for months before and after its release people wouldn't shut up about how cool it looked and how it marked a new step in special effects and computer graphics etc. And for over a year after it came out, I remember electronic shops were still using its DVD to show off the latest TV's. The film was terrible but it did have an impact in the early 2000's.

Oh and I just looked at the wiki page for it, and one of the really enthusiastic cheerleaders for the film was Roger Ebert. The guy who hates video games and video game movies really loved this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy:_The_Spirits_Within#Critical_reception

quote:

Roger Ebert was a strong advocate of the film; he gave it 3½ stars out of four, praising it as a "technical milestone" while conceding that its "nuts and bolts" story lacked "the intelligence and daring of, say, Steven Spielberg's A.I." He noted that while he did not once feel convinced Aki Ross was an actual human being, she was "lifelike", stating her creators "dare us to admire their craft. If Aki is not as real as a human actress, she's about as human as a Playmate who has been retouched to glossy perfection."[48] He also expressed a desire for the film to succeed in hopes of seeing more films made in its image, though he was skeptical of its ability to be accepted

Yes, let us all admire Aki's craft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schrecken
May 21, 2016

Child of Woe

TheMostFrench posted:

I actually really enjoyed the Silent Hill movie, it's one of a few films I've seen more than once in theater. Apparently there were sequels? I don't even remember them being advertised.

There was one sequel, Silent Hill: Revelation. It was in 3D and a very bad movie. At the end Pyramid Head fights with a Cenobite knock-off in a ring of fire to save the protagonist.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah it did, the post I was quoting mentioned that it only got 44% on average which isn't very good, though I wouldn't exactly call it a critical bomb, that's just below average. But for months before and after its release people wouldn't shut up about how cool it looked and how it marked a new step in special effects and computer graphics etc. And for over a year after it came out, I remember electronic shops were still using its DVD to show off the latest TV's. The film was terrible but it did have an impact in the early 2000's.

Oh and I just looked at the wiki page for it, and one of the really enthusiastic cheerleaders for the film was Roger Ebert. The guy who hates video games and video game movies really loved this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy:_The_Spirits_Within#Critical_reception

Yes, let us all admire Aki's craft

My friend owned the wall scroll. :quagmire:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
She's not really Elbert's type

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Ebert also gave Anaconda 3.5 stars

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Schrecken posted:

Speaking of Silent Hill, whatever issues I may have with the story or deviations from the game I really do think the film did a great job with the atmosphere and replicating or re-imagining scenes and certain camera angles. The scene with the Grey Children is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpViwxkL0dc

The look of the film is great, and I do appreciate the use of soundtracks directly from the games. The creatures also look nice and very recognizable. I also really did like certain changes, such as the light snowfall from the first game becoming falling ash in the movie. I don't feel that an adaptation needs to be 100% accurate, and Silent Hill did a lot of things very right.

I like the Silent Hill games a whole lot. I love pretty much everything about the Silent Hill games (there are notable and important exceptions.) I love what they do, I love the symbolism and metaphor, I love their fearless approach on delving into uncomfortable topics, and more. It's all good. It's so drat good.

But the only thing you can can really hate about the Silent Hill movie is how it kinda messes around with Silent Hill lore and events and stuff. (Like you, I feel that in many ways they actually improved it.) If you're gonna be a huge purist super fan and hold Silent Hill sacred then yeah, the movie is gonna make you mad. If you are such a person I can't really argue with you because you're right but goddammit the Silent Hill movie is phenomenal! It really captures Silent Hill and it really tries to be as loyal and respectful as it can be. The movie is gorgeous and creepy and it's loving amazing it really is and I am seriously ready to throw down and fight about this.

The Silent Hill movie is good. I watch it every year around Halloween and I love it more each time.

Mister Macys posted:

No. It was poo poo. It's only redeeming feature is the soundtrack. The fighting is slow, the acting bad for direct to video, the effects cheap, and the turnarounds are what a child would write. Paul W.S. Anderson is a bad director and a God awful poo poo writer. America's Uwe Boll.

Dead or Alive is the first, and I daresay only genuinely good (not to say others aren't fun) video game movie. It's 100% true to its source material (martial arts, gratuitous T&A, and volleyball), well choreographed, acceptably acted, and doesn't take itself seriously.

You're wrong about Mortal Kombat but that's okay. I'm still going to try and find a copy of the Dead or Alive movie because I need to see this. (Your opinion is valuable and important and influenced me to check out a thing I haven't experienced based on your experience and recommendation.)

vyelkin posted:

According to List of films based on video games, the best reviewed video game movie ever, with a whopping 44% on Rotten Tomatoes, was....... Final Fantasy The Spirits Within :eyepop:

That's really interesting because the only thing really Final Fantasy about The Spirits Within is that it had the name Final Fantasy and a character named Cid in it. It had nothing to do with any of the video games storywise and didn't even contain common elements from the games.

It didn't have any crystals or magic or :krad: steam punk airships. There was no end boss that came out of nowhere. No giant gently caress off anime weapons. Character outfits were not messes of belts and buckles and impractical. There wasn't even a chocobo! I don't consider Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within a video game movie.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 5, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jenner posted:

The Super Mario Brothers movie was amazing goddammit.
This movie is so amazing in retrospect but as a kid I was so unbelievably angry about it. Of course looking back I have no idea what the gently caress you would even make a 'by the book' Mario movie considering even the cartoons would abandon an idea halfway through all the time because nothing really made sense to play out

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, not having cable, I've seen MK dozens of times with my brothers, so I've had time to compare it to general action movies and video game movie specifically. I actually think Name of the King (Dungeon Siege, of all things) with Jason Staham was still better. And the fighting is slow. Soo slow. The only combat I felt was worth a poo poo was the first thirty seconds of the Tsung/Kang fight where they're throwing elbows and jump cutting at light speed. It was awesome... and then the fight is pulled to a screeching halt. gently caress, he's got a bad sense of pacing... I love the soundtrack though. I've always been a rave and house music guy, and it was the first CD I purchased with my own money.

My opinion is that Paul Anderson's only decent movies are Event Horizon and Death Race, and that's because he had the acting talent to carry them. He has a bad habit of recycling the outlines of his scripts
If you like it, you like it. There's plenty worse out there.

I saw MK2 in theaters... :suicide:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 6, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Noticed a few different people mention Silent Hill. I hesitate to call it an actually good movie but it's well done atmospherically and actually shows chops visually. If you're in a more visual/visceral movie kinda mood it's mad good

If it wasn't attached to the Silent Hill named I'd have probably liked it way better but it is and I don't

Schrecken
May 21, 2016

Child of Woe

Jenner posted:

I like the Silent Hill games a whole lot. I love pretty much everything about the Silent Hill games (there are notable and important exceptions.) I love what they do, I love the symbolism and metaphor, I love their fearless approach on delving into uncomfortable topics, and more. It's all good. It's so drat good.

But the only thing you can can really hate about the Silent Hill movie is how it kinda messes around with Silent Hill lore and events and stuff. (Like you, I feel that in many ways they actually improved it.) If you're gonna be a huge purist super fan and hold Silent Hill sacred then yeah, the movie is gonna make you mad. If you are such a person I can't really argue with you because you're right but goddammit the Silent Hill movie is phenomenal! It really captures Silent Hill and it really tries to be as loyal and respectful as it can be. The movie is gorgeous and creepy and it's loving amazing it really is and I am seriously ready to throw down and fight about this.

The Silent Hill movie is good. I watch it every year around Halloween and I love it more each time.

I agree. As I said, I don't need an adaptation to be 100% faithful, and I think that the first Silent Hill film nailed everything that mattered and then some. I would have preferred Dahlia's "trying to birth God" plan and the Order from the games, but the Order and explanation of events in the film worked just fine.

I could have maybe done without the "real world" scenes of the husband and a few other things, but taken as a whole the movie did so much right that I can get past the flaws or changes I didn't care for.

Schrecken fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 6, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

N. Senada posted:

I want to read that interview as long as it's exclusively about the motion picture Super Mario Bros.
it was part of an interview with The Guardian, but the relevant quote is here. careful, he's pretty savage

on the flip side, raul julia's last role was M. Bison in Street Fighter and he did it because he wanted to make his grandkids happy :unsmith:

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 6, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think it might be an unconscious reflex to make the movies bad as payback for movie video games being so awful.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9escFiqUJ0U

alyssa milano was hot

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
There is only one video game movie adaptation I have seen that did not shy away from its source material, and instead was crafted as the perfect faithful adaptation.

This is the Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney film directed by Takashi Miike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIi44sSQCDs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

There is only one video game movie adaptation I have seen that did not shy away from its source material, and instead was crafted as the perfect faithful adaptation.

I keep forgetting this exists. Miike really is a Japanese treasure.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

For all its faults, I still think the Prince of Persia film was a fun time.

Nipponophile posted:

Personally, my favorite clip of this is the one where Wright goes something like "so by "after Christmas Eve," you mean... Christmas?" and literally everyone in the room besides him falls over in unison.

FedEx Mercury posted:

I think it might be an unconscious reflex to make the movies bad as payback for movie video games being so awful.
Aladdin was fun, though.

Like, all three of them.

finna udders
Jan 28, 2005

mu
I could write a dang dissertation on videogame movies.

ten years ago I wrote my dang dissertation on videogame movies. Resident Evil 2 featured too prominently, in retrospect.

The main idea concerned the frequent introduction of a new character, some fuckin nerd in a wacky t-shirt who steers the main character through a series of obstacles using their computer, which only displays numbers and maps. It shows up a lot.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is it cool to talk about movies based on a fictional video game?

Because The Last Starfighter is loving rad.

The fictional Last Starfighter game in the movie is such a generic stand-in for other space games that I wonder why they didn't license a real one instead. I mean, they could have replaced the game with Galaga or something and BAM!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Galaga never had a :rock: DEATH BLOSSOM :rock: though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mister Macys posted:

Galaga never had a :rock: DEATH BLOSSOM :rock: though.

:rock: gently caress yeah :rock:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

ConfusedUs posted:

The fictional Last Starfighter game in the movie is such a generic stand-in for other space games that I wonder why they didn't license a real one instead. I mean, they could have replaced the game with Galaga or something and BAM!

Sure! Why not!

Is The Wizard a movie based on video games? I mean, the video game plays a prominent role in the movie.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think as long as it's related, it counts.

Jim Sterling's been doing weekly movie reviews in his podcast with that criteria, and it's good enough for me.
He recently livestreamed himself watching Pixels with his co-host who's name I forget.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Conrad ZImmerman.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

ConfusedUs posted:

What's the one with the video game developers who develop this ultra violent AI that ends up possessing a mocap suit and starts murdering them all one-by-one? It's not the "if you die in the game... you die for real" movie, it's a different one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The last video game movie I saw was Ratchet and Clank, and that movie should have been much better than it turned out being with all the talent that it had. It just turned out to be dull as poo poo, which I guess puts the Sly Cooper movie in limbo.

I also so the Need for Speed movie which pretty much just had the name slapped on it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jenner posted:

Sure! Why not!

Is The Wizard a movie based on video games? I mean, the video game plays a prominent role in the movie.

The Wizard was a 6 million dollar advertisement for Super Mario 3, so yeah I'd say so.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Freakazoid_ posted:

The Wizard was a 6 million dollar advertisement for Super Mario 3, so yeah I'd say so.

And the Power Glove, can't forget that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Does The Wizard count as the first E-Sports™ movie?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Mister Macys posted:

Does The Wizard count as the first E-Sports™ movie?

I don't think it counts. The kid wasn't competing while on amphetamines.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

He was autistic though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

blackguy32 posted:

The last video game movie I saw was Ratchet and Clank, and that movie should have been much better than it turned out being with all the talent that it had. It just turned out to be dull as poo poo, which I guess puts the Sly Cooper movie in limbo.

I also so the Need for Speed movie which pretty much just had the name slapped on it.
Meanwhile the Ratchet and Clank Game based off that movie is really great

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The best videogame movies are Book of Eli and Blood Diamond.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

As someone who's seen Blood Diamond, you're gonna have to walk me through that one. :v:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its basically Far Cry 2 the movie

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's a stretch, but I can see it.

Wouldn't that make 'Three Kings' Bad Company 1/2?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

youve got the right idea! the best VG movies are ones not advertised as VG movies

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I remember someone comparing Uncharted 4 to National Treasure 2, and apparently they line up so well it's spooky.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Raid and The Raid 2 are very good movies that might as well be video games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Raid (and for that matter, Dredd) is basically the 99 floor skyscraper climb in Parasite Eve. :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My favourite video game movie is ET: The Extra-Terrestrial

• Locked thread