Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Mister Macys posted:

The Raid (and for that matter, Dredd) is basically the 99 floor skyscraper climb in Parasite Eve. :newlol:

This should not be as appealing to me as it is. Another movie added to my list of movies to watch.

banned from Starbucks posted:

youve got the right idea! the best VG movies are ones not advertised as VG movies

I think both have value and are good but I want you to know I really appreciate this cheeky poo poo. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The second half of Punisher War Zone is similar to The Raid and Dredd too; apartment crawls of murder and mayhem.

Gears of War is Avatar where you play the humans. :v:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 9, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Alicia Vikander is the new Lara Croft for a 2018 Tomb Raider movie, which I can see being fun. The Tomb Raider games are no longer about "OMG LOOK HOW HUGE HER POLYGON TITS ARE" and I wonder if they'll integrate the Trinity storyline from the last one or just go in a totally new direction. I saw one of the Angelina Jolie ones on a flight once and don't remember much about it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

sticklefifer posted:

Alicia Vikander is the new Lara Croft for a 2018 Tomb Raider movie, which I can see being fun. The Tomb Raider games are no longer about "OMG LOOK HOW HUGE HER POLYGON TITS ARE" and I wonder if they'll integrate the Trinity storyline from the last one or just go in a totally new direction. I saw one of the Angelina Jolie ones on a flight once and don't remember much about it.
Man you'd think Sony would be trying to make an Uncharted movie by now

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have a love for all video game movies. I think they're tremendous fun and will usually see them at the cinema. The only one I haven't is the Warcraft movie because I've never played it.

I saw Super Mario Brothers on opening day in Leciester Square, England! It was freaking awesome!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, the Angelina Jolie ones were extremely forgettable. The new ones could be decent, though, particularly if they go for an Indiana Jones-style deal that plays up the supernatural aspects and weird locales.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

achillesforever6 posted:

It would just be a bad Indiana Jones

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ConfusedUs posted:

Is it cool to talk about movies based on a fictional video game?

Because The Last Starfighter is loving rad.

The fictional Last Starfighter game in the movie is such a generic stand-in for other space games that I wonder why they didn't license a real one instead. I mean, they could have replaced the game with Galaga or something and BAM!

It also gave us this gem.

The First Person scene in Doom and Silent Hill were fun.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Uwe Boll's masterpiece "Alone in the Dark." There is an earnestness to it. It's like an angry 13 year old's fanfiction that they think is totally rad and also just like this one thing but different enough so it's all original.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

The last video game movie I saw was Ratchet and Clank
i completely forgot this was a movie

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I forgot they made a Max Payne movie until I saw it in a thrift store today. I didn't buy because I don't really care about Max Payne but has anyone here seen it?

For actual content, I first saw The Wizard about a year ago with Rifftrax behind it and man am I glad I wasn't around in the 80's to get nostalgic about it. It's a bland film out side the Smb3/Powerglove advertising. Was surprised that Rainman for kids is the plot they went with though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Wizard in one line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pivGBEIlIpU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mister Macys posted:

No. It was poo poo. It's only redeeming feature is the soundtrack. The fighting is slow,

slow enough to seriously injure a good chunk of the actors, I suppose

Hollywood Reporter posted:

Anderson: Robin would rate the fights. They would be a one, a two or a three. That would refer to how many ribs he bruised when he did the fight. The Reptile fight was a three-rib fight, so he really felt like he'd delivered for me. I remember Linden Ashby as well. He was eating Advil like they were M&M'S. We just kicked the hell out of him during that fight. I remember him coming off set going, "I've never been in so much pain in my life." And I'm like "How many ribs have you broken? Robin's broken three!"

Shou: For the Johnny and Scorpion fight, the difficult part was to convince Linden that he could do everything. He's an actor. He said, "Give me as stunt double!" and I go, "Linden, you can totally do this. The more you do, the more realistic and the more believable the scene is." He bought it. "Yes, you're getting beat up. You're bruised, but at the end you are going to look fantastic."

Ashby: I was fighting with Chris Casamassa [Scorpion], who funnily enough was my teacher. Chris did an ax kick to my kidneys in that fight. I had a pad on but his heel just came right between the pads and got me in the kidney, hard. I was peeing blood. It hurt a lot.

Shou: For my fight with Reptile, it needed to be a little bit more kinetic. I did everything in that scene. In one of the stunts, Reptile threw me and I hit this pillar and I actually fractured two ribs on that, because I didn't expect I'd hit the edge of the pillar. That was also my 10th take, so I was a little tired. But I didn't tell anyone. What's the point? If I told them I fractured the ribs, they're going to stop production and then there goes my Hollywood dream. I was hurting. I was taking a lot of Advil and then I continued the rest of the fight with two fractured ribs. I told Keith Cooke, who plays Reptile, "I'm hurt on the right side of my ribs so don't kick me there." I muscled through the fight and then went to the hospital.

quote:

the acting bad for direct to video,

eh. most of the actors are okay, and the guys who played Johnny Cage, Kano and Shang Tsung are outright awesome.

quote:

the effects cheap,

eh. hit and miss. the Reptile CGI is loving awful but the Goro puppet would look impressive even in a 2016 movie.

quote:

and the turnarounds are what a child would write.

counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OY5oetA1kU

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 12, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the Mortal Kombat movie was a very large part of my childhood and I will tolerate no disparagement of it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

slow enough to seriously injure a good chunk of the actors, I suppose

eh. most of the actors are okay, and the guys who played Johnny Cage, Kano and Shang Tsung are outright awesome.

eh. hit and miss. the Reptile CGI is loving awful but the Goro puppet would look impressive even in a 2016 movie.

counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OY5oetA1kU

Slow and bad =/= "injury free".

Directors not giving a gently caress about the health of the talent enough to choreograph fights (so they don't have to "improvise", which is how bad injuries happen) does not a good movie make.
In fact, it serves my point about Paul Anderson's shittiness as a writer/director. And Goro is stiffer than the Henson puppets in Labyrinth (the minimum standard of puppetry, imo) and given all of what, three closeups? to hide how cheap he looks.
It speaks volumes that the :airquote: "fight" is shown from, oh, a good fifty feet away, in between the first hit, and Goro's fall. Because they didn't dare use CG or puppetry, given the budget. Remember; Dragonheart was released not a year later.
And I wasn't clear what I meant by turnaround. "Star turn" would probably be more accurate; I was referring to the stars being at a disadvantage during combat, only to suddenly bring it back, and become unstoppable! :jerkbag: The Reptile fight being the most egregious example. I stand by my opinion that the only good combat is the first 30 seconds of the Tsung/Kang fight, and maybe the bo staff fight with the cool black guy with the loving awesome hair.

I'm not saying it doesn't have its moments (I quote it to this day), but it just hasn't aged well, given the evolution of fight scenes alone, in the last fifteen years.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 12, 2016

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Mister Macys posted:

Slow and bad =/= "injury free".

Directors not giving a gently caress about the health of the talent enough to choreograph fights (so they don't have to "improvise", which is how bad injuries happen) does not a good movie make.
In fact, it serves my point about Paul Anderson's shittiness as a writer/director. And Goro is stiffer than the Henson puppets in Labyrinth (the minimum standard of puppetry, imo) and given all of what, three closeups? to hide how cheap he looks.
It speaks volumes that the :airquote: "fight" is shown from, oh, a good fifty feet away, in between the first hit, and Goro's fall. Because they didn't dare use CG or puppetry, given the budget and tech of the day.
And I wasn't clear what I meant by turnaround. "Star turn" would probably be more accurate; I was referring to the stars being at a disadvantage during combat, only to suddenly bring it back, and become unstoppable! :jerkbag: The Reptile fight being the most egregious example. I stand by my opinion that the only good combat is the first 30 seconds of the Tsung/Shang fight, and maybe the bo staff fight with the cool black guy with the loving awesome hair.

I'm not saying it doesn't have its moments (I quote it to this day), but it just hasn't aged well, given the evolution of fight scenes alone, in the last fifteen years.

drat, Labyrinth "the minimum standard of puppetry"? You're either the most discerning connoisseur of puppet movies I'd ever hope to meet, or you don't know good puppetry when you see it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Goro isn't even as animated as Robert Picardo's character in Legend. It's a horribly stiff skin covered animatronic at best. Henson did more with less ten years prior.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 12, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

:cripes: Of course Goons are connoisseurs of the worst most godawful and utterly craptastic movies to ever defecate their way into theater. The puppets look loving terrible. Maybe, at some point in the '90s, they looked alright, but they haven't aged well at all.

As loving terrible as Resident Evil:Afterlife was when I saw it (well, strictly speaking, I didn't actually see most of it, I was in the same theater), I actually sat down and watched it one night and honestly, it's probably the closest thing to the absurdity of Japanese video games to ever make it into theaters. I love the look of it, I love how absurd it is, and I especially love this fight scene in particular for capturing that stupid sunglasses toss.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yes it certainly captured the boring and insanely stupid cutscene fights from RE5.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A White Guy posted:

I especially love this fight scene in particular for capturing that stupid sunglasses toss.

Oh my God, that :smug: as gently caress look on his face right before he throws them, too. The perfect smirk.
I will never be able to curl my lip that well.

Only Riki Takeuchi (Battle Royale 2, Deadly Outlaw Rekka) comes close.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 12, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Turbinosamente posted:

I forgot they made a Max Payne movie until I saw it in a thrift store today. I didn't buy because I don't really care about Max Payne but has anyone here seen it?

For actual content, I first saw The Wizard about a year ago with Rifftrax behind it and man am I glad I wasn't around in the 80's to get nostalgic about it. It's a bland film out side the Smb3/Powerglove advertising. Was surprised that Rainman for kids is the plot they went with though.

It's complete trash and barely direct-to-video quality. Stay away.

A White Guy posted:

:cripes: Of course Goons are connoisseurs of the worst most godawful and utterly craptastic movies to ever defecate their way into theater. The puppets look loving terrible. Maybe, at some point in the '90s, they looked alright, but they haven't aged well at all.

As loving terrible as Resident Evil:Afterlife was when I saw it (well, strictly speaking, I didn't actually see most of it, I was in the same theater), I actually sat down and watched it one night and honestly, it's probably the closest thing to the absurdity of Japanese video games to ever make it into theaters. I love the look of it, I love how absurd it is, and I especially love this fight scene in particular for capturing that stupid sunglasses toss.

Holy poo poo, how does anyone enjoy the RE movies? They're so poorly directed, written and generally designed in every way. What is wrong with you?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Even Manos is funny now and then.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just can't wait for the upcoming big nerdy premiere next week!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's complete trash and barely direct-to-video quality. Stay away.

Holy poo poo, how does anyone enjoy the RE movies? They're so poorly directed, written and generally designed in every way. What is wrong with you?

I don't watch movies to lose my sensation of disbelief anymore. I watch them purely to be entertained by either how well they're made or how awfully they're done. RE:A is just so bad, it's comical at points. It's like the actual video games - comically loving awful, but still trying to take itself seriously. Imagine if the first Saw had a pie in the face gag in whenever a new character got introduced, and you'd have an idea of how utterly disjointed the tone of the video games is.

Palpek posted:

I just can't wait for the upcoming big nerdy premiere next week!

Another video game movie, no way this isn't going to be an enromous steaming pile of-

quote:

Budget: $130-200 million

What the actual gently caress.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

They are.

For a while Mark Wahlberg was supposed to play Nathan Drake. Apparently that's not the case anymore.

http://www.avclub.com/article/mark-wahlberg-unattaches-himself-uncharted-movie-247376

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The most memorable part of Mortal Kombat that holds up over time for me is the set pieces. Set design for that movie was fantastic, especially Scorpion's multi-tiered ancestral burial chamber. The location shoots are great too, like the rubber tree plantation that same fight starts in. Dated CGI aside, they did a great job of making the practical surroundings look really cool.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
event horizon is the best doom movie

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mung Dynasty posted:

event horizon is the best doom movie

Did it have a shotgun? Because I can't score a DooM movie without a shotgun higher than one star.

They can do whatever else to the story and setting, but it needs a hero with a shotgun, or I walk.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
While not based on a real game eXistenZ did a good job of making a movie about being in a RPG

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Last weekend a friend of mine hosted a Resident Evil marathon. (She likes movies big, dumb, and action filled best). I had never seen past part 2 prior. It's funny how quickly they stop taking themselves seriously. Also, the fifth film has like 10% plot and the rest is just setting up action scene after action scene. Seems to accurately capture video games if you ask me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
They're really poorly directed and acted and written and produced action scenes that aren't fun to watch witb your eyeballs though

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

This was an epic scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH61uqfZqxQ

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Just a shame the rest of the movie beyond that part is a barely lit snorefest. Rewatched it a while ago with some friends and had honestly forgotten how incredibly dull that movie as a whole.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They should have attempted to make the entire movie like this honestly, dialogues and all. One giant gimmick justified but by the source material.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Mortal Kombat owns and it's weird bc it's probably also the most accurate VG movie despite how little sense some of the stuff in it makes: it's a colorful stupid action thing about a bunch of weirdos fighting in violent karate deathmatches for spurious reasons on an island ruled by a sinister Chinese sorcerer and a four-armed dipshit

I don't particularly care but I always thought it was weird that Resident Evil wasn't more faithful to the source material, because it would be one of the easiest games ever to make a 90-minute summer movie out of

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Karl Urban and the Rock's acting was a pleasant surprise in what I thought would be a bad movie. It's really fun watching Dwayne play the straight man, becoming more cutthroat as it progresses.

Palpek posted:

They should have attempted to make the entire movie like this honestly, dialogues and all. One giant gimmick justified but by the source material.

Hardcore Henry would've been a lot better with the DooM script. yeach

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 19, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I don't think I could even finish it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I've seen it. It's bad, but not D&D (otherwise known as 'the movie that shall not be named') bad. It's mainly just boring fantasy.
Not sure if I'd put it above Hawk the Slayer, but definitely better than Dungeonmaster, Land of Faraway, and Neverending Story 2.
Really, it just feels like it's a decade too late in coming out.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 20, 2016

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Event Horizon is a better Doom movie than Doom.
The Quest is a better Street Fighter movie than Street Fighter.
The Quick and the Dead is a better Red Dead Revolver movie than one by the same name.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

God drat, The Quest was fun to watch.

I think van Damme only did one more movie (with Rodman) before his exile to direct-to-video Hell.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I don't think I could even finish it.

I still wonder how they'd decided that loving Dungeon Siege of all games needed an adaption. That was just a decent but ultimately completely forgettable Diablo-clone. I don't think there was anything to the story besides "big bad army invades, plucky player character kills them all".

• Locked thread