Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jenner posted:

Was Mortal Kombat the first video game based movie to be genuinely good?

No. It was poo poo. It's only redeeming feature is the soundtrack. The fighting is slow, the acting bad for direct to video, the effects cheap, and the turnarounds are what a child would write. Paul W.S. Anderson is a bad director and a God awful poo poo writer. America's Uwe Boll.

Dead or Alive is the first, and I daresay only genuinely good (not to say others aren't fun) video game movie. It's 100% true to its source material (martial arts, gratuitous T&A, and volleyball), well choreographed, acceptably acted, and doesn't take itself seriously.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

vyelkin posted:

According to List of films based on video games, the best reviewed video game movie ever, with a whopping 44% on Rotten Tomatoes, was....... Final Fantasy The Spirits Within :eyepop:

I saw that in theaters, and I was so loving disappointed.

Would've been a slightly better experience had it never had the Final Fantasy name attached to it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah it did, the post I was quoting mentioned that it only got 44% on average which isn't very good, though I wouldn't exactly call it a critical bomb, that's just below average. But for months before and after its release people wouldn't shut up about how cool it looked and how it marked a new step in special effects and computer graphics etc. And for over a year after it came out, I remember electronic shops were still using its DVD to show off the latest TV's. The film was terrible but it did have an impact in the early 2000's.

Oh and I just looked at the wiki page for it, and one of the really enthusiastic cheerleaders for the film was Roger Ebert. The guy who hates video games and video game movies really loved this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy:_The_Spirits_Within#Critical_reception

Yes, let us all admire Aki's craft

My friend owned the wall scroll. :quagmire:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, not having cable, I've seen MK dozens of times with my brothers, so I've had time to compare it to general action movies and video game movie specifically. I actually think Name of the King (Dungeon Siege, of all things) with Jason Staham was still better. And the fighting is slow. Soo slow. The only combat I felt was worth a poo poo was the first thirty seconds of the Tsung/Kang fight where they're throwing elbows and jump cutting at light speed. It was awesome... and then the fight is pulled to a screeching halt. gently caress, he's got a bad sense of pacing... I love the soundtrack though. I've always been a rave and house music guy, and it was the first CD I purchased with my own money.

My opinion is that Paul Anderson's only decent movies are Event Horizon and Death Race, and that's because he had the acting talent to carry them. He has a bad habit of recycling the outlines of his scripts
If you like it, you like it. There's plenty worse out there.

I saw MK2 in theaters... :suicide:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 6, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

There is only one video game movie adaptation I have seen that did not shy away from its source material, and instead was crafted as the perfect faithful adaptation.

This is the Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney film directed by Takashi Miike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIi44sSQCDs

I keep forgetting this exists. Miike really is a Japanese treasure.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Galaga never had a :rock: DEATH BLOSSOM :rock: though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think as long as it's related, it counts.

Jim Sterling's been doing weekly movie reviews in his podcast with that criteria, and it's good enough for me.
He recently livestreamed himself watching Pixels with his co-host who's name I forget.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Does The Wizard count as the first E-Sports™ movie?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

He was autistic though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

As someone who's seen Blood Diamond, you're gonna have to walk me through that one. :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's a stretch, but I can see it.

Wouldn't that make 'Three Kings' Bad Company 1/2?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I remember someone comparing Uncharted 4 to National Treasure 2, and apparently they line up so well it's spooky.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Raid (and for that matter, Dredd) is basically the 99 floor skyscraper climb in Parasite Eve. :newlol:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The second half of Punisher War Zone is similar to The Raid and Dredd too; apartment crawls of murder and mayhem.

Gears of War is Avatar where you play the humans. :v:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 9, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Wizard in one line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pivGBEIlIpU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

slow enough to seriously injure a good chunk of the actors, I suppose

eh. most of the actors are okay, and the guys who played Johnny Cage, Kano and Shang Tsung are outright awesome.

eh. hit and miss. the Reptile CGI is loving awful but the Goro puppet would look impressive even in a 2016 movie.

counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OY5oetA1kU

Slow and bad =/= "injury free".

Directors not giving a gently caress about the health of the talent enough to choreograph fights (so they don't have to "improvise", which is how bad injuries happen) does not a good movie make.
In fact, it serves my point about Paul Anderson's shittiness as a writer/director. And Goro is stiffer than the Henson puppets in Labyrinth (the minimum standard of puppetry, imo) and given all of what, three closeups? to hide how cheap he looks.
It speaks volumes that the :airquote: "fight" is shown from, oh, a good fifty feet away, in between the first hit, and Goro's fall. Because they didn't dare use CG or puppetry, given the budget. Remember; Dragonheart was released not a year later.
And I wasn't clear what I meant by turnaround. "Star turn" would probably be more accurate; I was referring to the stars being at a disadvantage during combat, only to suddenly bring it back, and become unstoppable! :jerkbag: The Reptile fight being the most egregious example. I stand by my opinion that the only good combat is the first 30 seconds of the Tsung/Kang fight, and maybe the bo staff fight with the cool black guy with the loving awesome hair.

I'm not saying it doesn't have its moments (I quote it to this day), but it just hasn't aged well, given the evolution of fight scenes alone, in the last fifteen years.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 12, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Goro isn't even as animated as Robert Picardo's character in Legend. It's a horribly stiff skin covered animatronic at best. Henson did more with less ten years prior.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 12, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A White Guy posted:

I especially love this fight scene in particular for capturing that stupid sunglasses toss.

Oh my God, that :smug: as gently caress look on his face right before he throws them, too. The perfect smirk.
I will never be able to curl my lip that well.

Only Riki Takeuchi (Battle Royale 2, Deadly Outlaw Rekka) comes close.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 12, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Even Manos is funny now and then.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mung Dynasty posted:

event horizon is the best doom movie

Did it have a shotgun? Because I can't score a DooM movie without a shotgun higher than one star.

They can do whatever else to the story and setting, but it needs a hero with a shotgun, or I walk.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Karl Urban and the Rock's acting was a pleasant surprise in what I thought would be a bad movie. It's really fun watching Dwayne play the straight man, becoming more cutthroat as it progresses.

Palpek posted:

They should have attempted to make the entire movie like this honestly, dialogues and all. One giant gimmick justified but by the source material.

Hardcore Henry would've been a lot better with the DooM script. yeach

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 19, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I've seen it. It's bad, but not D&D (otherwise known as 'the movie that shall not be named') bad. It's mainly just boring fantasy.
Not sure if I'd put it above Hawk the Slayer, but definitely better than Dungeonmaster, Land of Faraway, and Neverending Story 2.
Really, it just feels like it's a decade too late in coming out.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

God drat, The Quest was fun to watch.

I think van Damme only did one more movie (with Rodman) before his exile to direct-to-video Hell.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 20, 2016

• Locked thread