Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

A Spider Covets posted:

I will leave this as an argument in support of Video Game Movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzAMmpMra8

Raul Julia is the poo poo and all but if he doesn't remember the day she's talking about how does he know it was a tuesday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

ConfusedUs posted:

Is it cool to talk about movies based on a fictional video game?

Because The Last Starfighter is loving rad.

The fictional Last Starfighter game in the movie is such a generic stand-in for other space games that I wonder why they didn't license a real one instead. I mean, they could have replaced the game with Galaga or something and BAM!

What's the one with the video game developers who develop this ultra violent AI that ends up possessing a mocap suit and starts murdering them all one-by-one? It's not the "if you die in the game... you die for real" movie, it's a different one.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Mister Macys posted:

Slow and bad =/= "injury free".

Directors not giving a gently caress about the health of the talent enough to choreograph fights (so they don't have to "improvise", which is how bad injuries happen) does not a good movie make.
In fact, it serves my point about Paul Anderson's shittiness as a writer/director. And Goro is stiffer than the Henson puppets in Labyrinth (the minimum standard of puppetry, imo) and given all of what, three closeups? to hide how cheap he looks.
It speaks volumes that the :airquote: "fight" is shown from, oh, a good fifty feet away, in between the first hit, and Goro's fall. Because they didn't dare use CG or puppetry, given the budget and tech of the day.
And I wasn't clear what I meant by turnaround. "Star turn" would probably be more accurate; I was referring to the stars being at a disadvantage during combat, only to suddenly bring it back, and become unstoppable! :jerkbag: The Reptile fight being the most egregious example. I stand by my opinion that the only good combat is the first 30 seconds of the Tsung/Shang fight, and maybe the bo staff fight with the cool black guy with the loving awesome hair.

I'm not saying it doesn't have its moments (I quote it to this day), but it just hasn't aged well, given the evolution of fight scenes alone, in the last fifteen years.

drat, Labyrinth "the minimum standard of puppetry"? You're either the most discerning connoisseur of puppet movies I'd ever hope to meet, or you don't know good puppetry when you see it.

• Locked thread