Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
This is the thread to talk about movies based on video games, good, bad, or in between.

This is not the place to talk about video games that are composed of so much cutscene they're practically movies like Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4 and Xenosaga. (But if you want to you can talk about them and I won't complain, report you, or try to stop you.)

I'll kick us off with a couple questions and some bad opinions.

Was Mortal Kombat the first video game based movie to be genuinely good?

Raul Julia's performance as M. Bison in Street Fighter is just glorious.

Didn't Vin Diesel make them agree to let him play Agent 47 in the Hitman movies once he lent the character his voice? (This might be an urban legend.)

What the gently caress even was Blood Rayne?

The Super Mario Brothers movie was amazing goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

A Spider Covets posted:

I will leave this as an argument in support of Video Game Movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzAMmpMra8

God he was just so good. So good. What a tragic loss, sincerely. He put his heart and soul into every role. Nobody told Raul Julia this movie was a joke and even if they did he would have taken it seriously.

The Adams Family is still the best TV family. The healthiest relationships, the most accepting. I just love the scene in Values where they try to exorcise the weirdness out of their baby then realize it's just who he is and who he wants to be and they accept it and try to do their best for him to raise him in a manner that supports him and his identity. They don't try to force their way of life on him. So good.

vyelkin posted:

Another topic of discussion that I think is worth bringing up is how the film industry is learning from video games. Not in movies based on video games, but taking video game tropes and sticking them in movies and TV.

I honestly think it's very back and forth and a bit incestuous (but not exactly in a bad way... it's complicated.) The film and game industries very much cannibalize off each other. Kind of learning from one another and cribbing from each other reciprocally. It's had the effect of largely making both industries better.

Silent Hill 2 was hugely influenced by several movies and takes scenes almost frame by frame from them. The Silent Hill movie features frames almost copy pasted from the Silent Hill games. This is very self contained, a movie about a source taking from its own source. There are many situations were movies not about video games borrow scenes directly from video games.

It opposite is also true. (The opposite being video games not about movies taking directly from movies. Just so we're clear.)

One of the consequences of movie influence on video games is the super long cutscenes. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not. One of the things video games did to put a gaming aspect into cinematic portions was to add Quick Time Events. That was terrible and I'm glad that phase is over.

This is a good topic of discussion.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 4, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Schrecken posted:

Speaking of Silent Hill, whatever issues I may have with the story or deviations from the game I really do think the film did a great job with the atmosphere and replicating or re-imagining scenes and certain camera angles. The scene with the Grey Children is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpViwxkL0dc

The look of the film is great, and I do appreciate the use of soundtracks directly from the games. The creatures also look nice and very recognizable. I also really did like certain changes, such as the light snowfall from the first game becoming falling ash in the movie. I don't feel that an adaptation needs to be 100% accurate, and Silent Hill did a lot of things very right.

I like the Silent Hill games a whole lot. I love pretty much everything about the Silent Hill games (there are notable and important exceptions.) I love what they do, I love the symbolism and metaphor, I love their fearless approach on delving into uncomfortable topics, and more. It's all good. It's so drat good.

But the only thing you can can really hate about the Silent Hill movie is how it kinda messes around with Silent Hill lore and events and stuff. (Like you, I feel that in many ways they actually improved it.) If you're gonna be a huge purist super fan and hold Silent Hill sacred then yeah, the movie is gonna make you mad. If you are such a person I can't really argue with you because you're right but goddammit the Silent Hill movie is phenomenal! It really captures Silent Hill and it really tries to be as loyal and respectful as it can be. The movie is gorgeous and creepy and it's loving amazing it really is and I am seriously ready to throw down and fight about this.

The Silent Hill movie is good. I watch it every year around Halloween and I love it more each time.

Mister Macys posted:

No. It was poo poo. It's only redeeming feature is the soundtrack. The fighting is slow, the acting bad for direct to video, the effects cheap, and the turnarounds are what a child would write. Paul W.S. Anderson is a bad director and a God awful poo poo writer. America's Uwe Boll.

Dead or Alive is the first, and I daresay only genuinely good (not to say others aren't fun) video game movie. It's 100% true to its source material (martial arts, gratuitous T&A, and volleyball), well choreographed, acceptably acted, and doesn't take itself seriously.

You're wrong about Mortal Kombat but that's okay. I'm still going to try and find a copy of the Dead or Alive movie because I need to see this. (Your opinion is valuable and important and influenced me to check out a thing I haven't experienced based on your experience and recommendation.)

vyelkin posted:

According to List of films based on video games, the best reviewed video game movie ever, with a whopping 44% on Rotten Tomatoes, was....... Final Fantasy The Spirits Within :eyepop:

That's really interesting because the only thing really Final Fantasy about The Spirits Within is that it had the name Final Fantasy and a character named Cid in it. It had nothing to do with any of the video games storywise and didn't even contain common elements from the games.

It didn't have any crystals or magic or :krad: steam punk airships. There was no end boss that came out of nowhere. No giant gently caress off anime weapons. Character outfits were not messes of belts and buckles and impractical. There wasn't even a chocobo! I don't consider Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within a video game movie.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 5, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Is it cool to talk about movies based on a fictional video game?

Because The Last Starfighter is loving rad.

The fictional Last Starfighter game in the movie is such a generic stand-in for other space games that I wonder why they didn't license a real one instead. I mean, they could have replaced the game with Galaga or something and BAM!

Sure! Why not!

Is The Wizard a movie based on video games? I mean, the video game plays a prominent role in the movie.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

The Raid (and for that matter, Dredd) is basically the 99 floor skyscraper climb in Parasite Eve. :newlol:

This should not be as appealing to me as it is. Another movie added to my list of movies to watch.

banned from Starbucks posted:

youve got the right idea! the best VG movies are ones not advertised as VG movies

I think both have value and are good but I want you to know I really appreciate this cheeky poo poo. :3:

• Locked thread