Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

vyelkin posted:

According to List of films based on video games, the best reviewed video game movie ever, with a whopping 44% on Rotten Tomatoes, was....... Final Fantasy The Spirits Within :eyepop:

Not really that surprising, it had little to do with video games (I'm not that familiar with FF, did it have anything real connections to any of the games?) so it was essentially just a movie. And people were really impressed with the CG animation at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

it bombed both critically and commercially and almost killed square right before the square-enix merger

Yeah it did, the post I was quoting mentioned that it only got 44% on average which isn't very good, though I wouldn't exactly call it a critical bomb, that's just below average. But for months before and after its release people wouldn't shut up about how cool it looked and how it marked a new step in special effects and computer graphics etc. And for over a year after it came out, I remember electronic shops were still using its DVD to show off the latest TV's. The film was terrible but it did have an impact in the early 2000's.

Oh and I just looked at the wiki page for it, and one of the really enthusiastic cheerleaders for the film was Roger Ebert. The guy who hates video games and video game movies really loved this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy:_The_Spirits_Within#Critical_reception

quote:

Roger Ebert was a strong advocate of the film; he gave it 3½ stars out of four, praising it as a "technical milestone" while conceding that its "nuts and bolts" story lacked "the intelligence and daring of, say, Steven Spielberg's A.I." He noted that while he did not once feel convinced Aki Ross was an actual human being, she was "lifelike", stating her creators "dare us to admire their craft. If Aki is not as real as a human actress, she's about as human as a Playmate who has been retouched to glossy perfection."[48] He also expressed a desire for the film to succeed in hopes of seeing more films made in its image, though he was skeptical of its ability to be accepted

Yes, let us all admire Aki's craft

• Locked thread