Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So apparently Passengers joins the list of romantic comedies that are actually deeply hosed up. Chris Pratt wakes up in a colony ship after a malfunction. He's gonna be stuck there until it lands alone so he "falls in love" with one of the other sleeping passengers through her journalism and wakes her up early to be with him. She was gonna make her name chronicling the foundation of the colony but no, you gotta be this guys girlfriend for the next 100 years. It's not creepy and manipulative if we write that she likes likes it she likes it by the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

7c Nickel posted:

So apparently Passengers joins the list of romantic comedies that are actually deeply hosed up. Chris Pratt wakes up in a colony ship after a malfunction. He's gonna be stuck there until it lands alone so he "falls in love" with one of the other sleeping passengers through her journalism and wakes her up early to be with him. She was gonna make her name chronicling the foundation of the colony but no, you gotta be this guys girlfriend for the next 100 years. It's not creepy and manipulative if we write that she likes likes it she likes it by the end!

Could be worse I guess. At least Chris Pratt doesn't have space intercourse with her while she's still asleep!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

7c Nickel posted:

:puke:

I guess we haven't gotten better. Disney's live action remake of Sleeping Beauty so much darker and edgier.

Anonymous John posted:

Could be worse I guess. At least Chris Pratt doesn't have space intercourse with her while she's still asleep!

It's the small victories really.

Something told me I wasn't going to like it. A bunch of my sci-fi loving friends suggested we see it together (this group is different from my romcoms watching crew though there is some overlap.) I told them they'd have to watch it without me and tell me how it goes because I wasn't sold on the artificial creepiness that was shown on the trailers.

Now I know it's legit creepy.

Thanks 7c Nickel.

In other news I managed to catch Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants on TV today. It is not a romcom but it's a genre that split off from romcoms (women's empowerment/women's journey movies. Other example: Eat, Pray, Love) and it borrows some romcom tropes and has some romance elements.

It was... alright. The women's relationships and friendship was believable and I liked how they all got along. It had the usual image issues and such though.

But I have to admit I kind of like these kinds of movies (I feel terrible about it.) I like the sassy girlfriends just hanging out and having a good time. They have their own character and they aren't defined by their relationship with a man but by their relationship with themselves and their fellow women. (These movies still almost always feature a scene where they fail the Bechtel Test but :shrug:)

A lot of these movies seem to be inspired by Sex in the City. Most of the women follow the same archetypes that were established in that show.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I thought Passengers was supposed to be creepy. None of the previews made it seem like a comedy.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Jenner posted:

But I have to admit I kind of like these kinds of movies (I feel terrible about it.) I like the sassy girlfriends just hanging out and having a good time. They have their own character and they aren't defined by their relationship with a man but by their relationship with themselves and their fellow women. (These movies still almost always feature a scene where they fail the Bechtel Test but :shrug:)

If you're interested in those types of movies, and you haven't seen it, may I suggest Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood? I really liked it and it's about older women and the things that shaped their lives, and also mother/daughter relationships.

Hell, I guess Fried Green Tomatoes fits into this sub-category, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fried Green Tomatoes was, at the least, a strict upgrade over the novel.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
I actually didn't know it was a book! Now you've piqued my curiosity--what does the movie improve?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Some underrated romcoms I've liked in recent years:

Music & Lyrics (at least watch the opening song, a pretty great 80s song written by the guy from Wilco I think)

High Fidelity is a champ, and needs to be recognized as such

How to be Single, surprisingly good. A little disjointed, but probs the best message I've seen in these types of pics in a while.

Does Once count? It's more of a platonic thing, but if not the director's later works like Sing Street are straight out classics.

Frances Ha is a great subversion of the genre.

Hopefully think of some more later.

blue squares posted:

Love Actually is such a wonderful film. The first time I watched it was in a Navy barracks in Great Lakes Naval Base, Michigan. It was maybe 20 degrees outside and there was nothing else to do. Me and four other young sailors sat in my barracks room crowded around a tiny TV with a built in VCR and watched the movie. We all made fun of it for the first several minutes, feeling insecure about watching a rom com together, but by the end, all of us were engrossed. I even cried a little at times.

Since then, I've seen it five more times. I love it each time I watch it.

My other favorite romantic comedy is Crazy, Stupid Love. Ryan Gosling and Steve Carell kill it.

Really didn't like Love, Actually at all, found it cloying and manipulative, outside of the storyline with Snape. I mean, there's some real horrible things happening underneath the surface, from cheating, to sexual harrassement, to idiot British people thinking they can just plow through American women bc of their accent, but its all covered in this gauzy, sweet covering.

I haven't heard a lot of good things about Crazy, Stupid Love, but hearing that Gosling essentially plays a PuA artist def raises an eyebrow.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 20, 2016

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I haven't heard a lot of good things about Crazy, Stupid Love, but hearing that Gosling essentially plays a PuA artist def raises an eyebrow.

He does, at first--but the movie exposes how horrible it is

It's a good movie that I saw on a lark and had completely garbage-tier expectations for, and I ended up liking it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

He does, at first--but the movie exposes how horrible it is

It's a good movie that I saw on a lark and had completely garbage-tier expectations for, and I ended up liking it

Hmm, ok, might merit a watch after all.

Oh, forgot to add this above but while its not exactly recent, Working Girl is still some premier rom-com, and has some great things to say.

EDIT: Oh! Another recommendation Y Tu Tu Tambien. It's responsible for giving us Alfonso Cuaron and Gael Garcia Bernal. It's not exactly PG-13 if you know what I mean though.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 20, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LucyWanabe posted:

I actually didn't know it was a book! Now you've piqued my curiosity--what does the movie improve?

The movie has good actresses, without which the characters come off a lot more hokey.

Call it the Forrest Gump effect.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Everything is creepy. All of it.

Crazy Stupid Love is great but creepy because of the young girl in love with an older man and that creepy kid who is in love with her God why can't he go away and not bother her and she likes it by the end like wtf? Except Ryan Gosling playing all those women, that's totes ok cause he's Ryan Gosling doing his Dirty Dancing manipulating to bed girls. Poor girls having sex with hot PUA Ryan Gosling. As is the Fountain. But the Fountain is creepy, God she's going to die and all you want is to devote your time to save her so she can still be your sex object? Let her die in peace and find someone else. Disgusting.

What else can we twist as objectionable?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kinda got lost in the snark tornado but if you're saying poo poo about The Fountain you and me got problems son.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gatts posted:

Everything is creepy. All of it.

Crazy Stupid Love is great but creepy because of the young girl in love with an older man and that creepy kid who is in love with her God why can't he go away and not bother her and she likes it by the end like wtf? Except Ryan Gosling playing all those women, that's totes ok cause he's Ryan Gosling doing his Dirty Dancing manipulating to bed girls. Poor girls having sex with hot PUA Ryan Gosling. As is the Fountain. But the Fountain is creepy, God she's going to die and all you want is to devote your time to save her so she can still be your sex object? Let her die in peace and find someone else. Disgusting.

What else can we twist as objectionable?

*cut to The Critic reviewing this post* It stinks!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

Kinda got lost in the snark tornado but if you're saying poo poo about The Fountain you and me got problems son.

It's one of my favorite movies actually. I love it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gatts posted:

It's one of my favorite movies actually. I love it.

Does not get enough love. Does not.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Rom Coms! I hated this genre, but ended up taking a film class on it in college and it made me a little more open to it. It's great if you're the kind of person who likes to tear into bad movies, and also gets a kick out of unexpected gems.

We actually covered You've Got Mail in the class for out final, and I wrote a paper about how it's about the patriarchy reasserting power over the sacred fem through a combination of covert aggression and deception so that women are stockholmed into accepting its perversion. It's actually based on Shop Around the Corner which I think is one of the real foundational films of the genre, like It Happened One Night, and anyone with an interest in the film history should check it out.

As for what I've watched recently, Netflix provided me with a Hugh Grant retrospective that I only partially regret. About a Boy isn't really much of a romcom, but it's a good film and you get to see baby Nicholas Hoult. Four Weddings and a Funeral was pretty cute and had a fairly modern for the time perspective on relationships. Which is only significant because I watch Nine Months after it which is probably one of the most regressive, immature, and mean-spirited piles of poo poo I've seen in a long time. Pure hatewatch material if anyone is into that. It's gross.

Good films that haven't been mentioned yet: Bringing Up Baby, Benny and Joon, and Saving Face

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

precision posted:

The movie has good actresses, without which the characters come off a lot more hokey.

Call it the Forrest Gump effect.

Ha! Fair enough. I half want to track the book down, simply out of curiosity.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Nobody's brought up Down With Love yet so I'll stump for it, it's got an infectious sense of 60s style and pretty much the entire main cast is phenomenal, especially David Hyde Pierce.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.
I watched They Came Together recently and really liked it despite how dumb it was. I think Paul Rudd can sell just about anything. It pokes fun at a lot of genre conventions and common storylines.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
They Came Together is fantastic, one of the best parody films in a long time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It felt like the satire was a bit too much "haha hey, remember this?", and "what about this? Remember this from other movies?" Like it was just bad parody. I was kinda expecting Marlon Wayans to pop out at some point.

Down with Love was just great, I loved its aesthetic and all the characters. I haven't seen it yet, but my dad's favorite romcom is About Time. The trailer looks really nice.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Drifter posted:

It felt like the satire was a bit too much "haha hey, remember this?", and "what about this? Remember this from other movies?" Like it was just bad parody. I was kinda expecting Marlon Wayans to pop out at some point.

Down with Love was just great, I loved its aesthetic and all the characters. I haven't seen it yet, but my dad's favorite romcom is About Time. The trailer looks really nice.

I had forgotten about 'About Time' since in my mind I guess I don't classify it as a romantic comedy per se (although I guess it is). I see it almost as a sort of millennial 'fathers and sons' flick.

'About Time' really had a powerful impact on me. It's an incredibly sweet, gentle movie that has so much heart but also really delivers genuine emotion and real moments. It's a 10/10 film imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

_aaron posted:

I watched They Came Together recently and really liked it despite how dumb it was. I think Paul Rudd can sell just about anything. It pokes fun at a lot of genre conventions and common storylines.

That's one of my favorite comedies in recent memory. And a lot of it is that Paul Rudd is just amazing. And of course an insanely packed supporting cast. It's like a spiritual successor to Wet Hot American Summer in a way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They Came Together is way too deadpan for some people to leave on the TV for more than 15 minutes, but it's great.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I haven't seen Love Actually in years, but isn't there a plot where a powerful woman(Laura Linney I think) has a romance with a young sexy guy who is in her employ?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is About Time the one Vargo absolutely despised because he thought the main character was too manipulative?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They Came Together is way too deadpan for some people to leave on the TV for more than 15 minutes, but it's great.

Tell me about it.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

weekly font posted:

Tell me about it.
You can say that again!

(can someone explain why this bit nearly had me in tears, but similar "joke goes on forever" gags in something like Family Guy are not funny at all?)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

_aaron posted:

I like Paul Rudd a lot and think he is a great actor. He's in this movie with Jennifer Anniston. (Object of My Affection I think?) Where he plays a gay man that she's smitten with and I thought it was quite good.

Two things:

1. Our list of "romcoms and their ilk to watch" continues to grow with all your recommendations. Thank you so much. I fully intend to watch all these movies.

Not sure when we're gonna do the watch in January, everyone's busy with family. :ohdear: I'm really worried about our chick movie watching ritual falling by the wayside and never being picked back up again.

Regardless, I'll keep watching this stuff without them. (It's just better with friends.)

2. Most of the movies we've been mentioning have featured heterosexual relationships. Are there any good gay ones?

Who's the poster talking about hate watching? We need those too. We should talk about bad ones and good ones (and all the ones in between!)

I'd also like to branch beyond just recommending good/bad movies and talking about them on a surface level (though please keep doing that) and really start delving deeper by talking about their tropes, themes, and messages and stuff. If you guys are okay with that?

Because that insight on You've Got Mail is very sad and totally ruins it for me. Gosh! (No sarcasm, thanks for the insight. gently caress that movie forever.)

To do my part:
You know what I think are just loving awful terrible movies? Not in like, quality, but in content. Those loving Lifetime Movies of teen girls who get accidentally pregnant and make the best of it! So Gung Ho and such fierce moms! Surviving on pure gumption and a can-do attitude. Spunky Heroes!

Do you know how rare this is? It's really sad how rare this is even for middle class girls with a lot of support. Poor girls who get pregnant almost never finish high school or get a GED. Their lives are ruined. These movies are lying to girls and painting a very romantic idea of teen pregnancy and it is evil.

Very mad about it. Strong feelings and opinions. Could go on for paragraphs but made my point.

I'm gonna talk about movies depicting families in poverty next. It's gonna be big.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does The Birdhouse count as a "good" gay relationship? I honestly don't know, I never got around to seeing the Nathan Lane one.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Jenner posted:

2. Most of the movies we've been mentioning have featured heterosexual relationships. Are there any good gay ones?

I remember liking Imagine Me & You and Saving Face.

In the older straight rom-com category, I liked Cousins with Ted Danson and Isabella Rossellini.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Does The Birdhouse count as a "good" gay relationship? I honestly don't know, I never got around to seeing the Nathan Lane one.

I'd say it's good as in funny, but not really a 'good' relationship.

I've only ever seen the Williams/Lane one. Good fun.

Kissing Jessica Stein was a really enjoyable movie, and it had gay people.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

socketwrencher posted:

I remember liking Imagine Me & You and Saving Face.

Those are probably the best two of the bunch, at least the lady variety. There's also DEBS, but you need a real high tolerance for goofy camp to like it, probably. Also maybe I Can't Think Straight.

PianolasonMars
Dec 3, 2016
It Happened One Night needs to be mentioned more. That movie practically invented the genre.
Man, this thread makes me realize how much I love romantic comedies, and how there's so little made nowadays!
Stupid global box office.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought the Bill Hader parts of Trainwreck were the most enjoyable parts of that movie. (that terrible movie)

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I am pretty sure that at heart these films are Rom Coms even if they might not appear so at first glance. The first 2 straddle the border with the Fantasy Genre, while the second two are just outstanding examples with a twist which shakes up the formula. The fifth is something a bit more serious and deep which dips into light scifi territory at times. So without further adieu, OP you should definitely find time to watch the following:

Stardust
Okay, so this might not seem like the most obvious thing to call a Rom Com but it definitely hits all the right marks. Its about a guy who is in love with a girl and after seeing a meteorite hit the ground, he promises her that he will find the remains to prove his love or something along those lines. In persuit, he crosses over into a parallel world called Stormhold which is a generic fantasy kingdom and finds the remains of a star. The remains of the star can be used to grant eternal life if used properly and thus he is pursued by some evil witches while trying to get back home to prove his love. That may have sounded more like a Fantasy adventure than a romcom, which is fair enough because it absolutely is a fantasy adventure at the same time. Give it a chance and I am pretty sure you will not regret it!

Enchanted
Similar to the last film, this is another fantasy based film, but it is a family comedy made by Disney which is a suprisingly self aware parody of its own princess films. It is about Giselle, a stereotypical Disney princess who somehow manages to find herself in the middle of New York instead of in a generic fantasy kingdom. Cue all your standard princess bullshit aside from its taking place in the daily life of Robert, a divorce lawyer who found her on the streets and helps her before she gets herself killed or something. A ridiculous film, but it just works in every way.

I Love You Man
This is basically a straight played Paul Rudd rom com aside from the fact that its is in reality a film about 2 straight guys in a platonic bromance. A Brom-Com if you will. Peter has just proposed to his long time girlfriend who has happily accepted. While she is celebrating with her friends, he overhears them all talking about how he seemingly has no friends at all and honestly, they find it creepy as all hell. In his own words "I've gotta get some loving friends". I dont want to say more than that, but this film really just has everything. Regularly quoted 7 years later in my friends group, I dont know a single person who watched this and didnt sing its praises after. I think if you really dislike this film, you are dead inside.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Jason Segal is a TV music composer who is dating the star of the show he works on, the titular Sarah Marshall. Long into their relationship, he has been in his comfort zone for waaaay too long and SM ends up breaking up with him abruptly. Bad end, game over. After being a pathetic sack of poo poo for a few weeks, He decides to take a vacation to Hawaii to get his mind off things. The only problem with that, is that unknowingly, he went on holiday to the same place as his ex and her new boyfriend, cue the most awkward holiday in the world. While this film is definitely a RomCom, it is very much a film about being dumped by someone and picking yourself back up again. Another great comedy film that is universally liked by everyone I know who has seen it. I love it for so so many reasons but I think one of my favourite things is the brilliant Paul Rudd cameo.

Her
Okay, this might be contraversial. This is in many ways a funny, romantic film. It is also a beautiful existential drama film that will make you question what it means to be in a relationship with someone in the first place. It is about Theodore Twombly, who after being seperated with his wife for a year meets someone on his computer who he finds himself falling in love with. As their relationship progresses, he finds that the wounds from his previous relationship start to heal and he takes a chance in a relationship which pushes bounderies he didnt even know existed. It is a really achingly beautiful film and I honestly believe that everyone should find time and watch it even if it isnt a traditional RomCom.

So yeah, 5 films which in my opinion fall under the Rom Com umbrella while not featuring half the stupid poo poo that makes normal lots of normal Rom Coms trashy. There are many more that I consider watchable but I feel that these 5 do a lot to be different from the rest.

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 2, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stardust made me cry, more than once, and always at the same time in the movie every time.

"You know when I said I knew little about love? That wasn't true. I know a lot about love. I've seen it, centuries and centuries of it, and it was the only thing that made watching your world bearable. All those wars. Pain, lies, hate... It made me want to turn away and never look down again. But when I see the way that mankind loves... You could search to the furthest reaches of the universe and never find anything more beautiful. So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing, and... What I'm trying to say, Tristan is... I think I love you. Is this love, Tristan? I never imagined I'd know it for myself. My heart... It feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it's trying to escape because it doesn't belong to me any more. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I'd wish for nothing in exchange - no gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine."

:qq:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I haven't seen Enchanted in far too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jenner posted:

Because that insight on You've Got Mail is very sad and totally ruins it for me. Gosh! (No sarcasm, thanks for the insight. gently caress that movie forever.)

Bwahahahah! But seriously, that paper was one of those ridiculous things you write for school sometimes. Without seeing it again, I'm hesitant to say You've Got Mail has worse gender politics than the genre, influenced as it is by a patriarchal culture, does in general. The filmmakers definitely employed a little male/female symbolism to add to the dichotomy of the characters, like the tall skyscraper for Fox? books vs. the dim shop that you had to step down into for Ryan's store.

They also did something neat with the ending. Traditionally rom-coms end in sex, usually implied, but there's always a big kiss, or a wedding, or riding off into the sunset while sucking face. There's also hitting the fast forward button and showing a pregnancy/new baby months later. You've Got Mail needed to skip ahead to show what Ryan was up to now that her shop had closed, and they had her engaging in an act of creation by writing a book.

As for non-traditional rom coms, I'd actually like to recommend and inde film called Timer that's up on Netflix. In the near future you can get a timer implanted that will tell you the exact moment you meet your soulmate, and the story follows a woman who's timer is blank. It's not perfect, but I liked that it was striving for some deeper questions about love and the value we put on relationships which you don't often get in something that isn't lifetime sappy or some kind of tragedy.

• Locked thread