Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Some underrated romcoms I've liked in recent years:

Music & Lyrics (at least watch the opening song, a pretty great 80s song written by the guy from Wilco I think)

High Fidelity is a champ, and needs to be recognized as such

How to be Single, surprisingly good. A little disjointed, but probs the best message I've seen in these types of pics in a while.

Does Once count? It's more of a platonic thing, but if not the director's later works like Sing Street are straight out classics.

Frances Ha is a great subversion of the genre.

Hopefully think of some more later.

blue squares posted:

Love Actually is such a wonderful film. The first time I watched it was in a Navy barracks in Great Lakes Naval Base, Michigan. It was maybe 20 degrees outside and there was nothing else to do. Me and four other young sailors sat in my barracks room crowded around a tiny TV with a built in VCR and watched the movie. We all made fun of it for the first several minutes, feeling insecure about watching a rom com together, but by the end, all of us were engrossed. I even cried a little at times.

Since then, I've seen it five more times. I love it each time I watch it.

My other favorite romantic comedy is Crazy, Stupid Love. Ryan Gosling and Steve Carell kill it.

Really didn't like Love, Actually at all, found it cloying and manipulative, outside of the storyline with Snape. I mean, there's some real horrible things happening underneath the surface, from cheating, to sexual harrassement, to idiot British people thinking they can just plow through American women bc of their accent, but its all covered in this gauzy, sweet covering.

I haven't heard a lot of good things about Crazy, Stupid Love, but hearing that Gosling essentially plays a PuA artist def raises an eyebrow.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

He does, at first--but the movie exposes how horrible it is

It's a good movie that I saw on a lark and had completely garbage-tier expectations for, and I ended up liking it

Hmm, ok, might merit a watch after all.

Oh, forgot to add this above but while its not exactly recent, Working Girl is still some premier rom-com, and has some great things to say.

EDIT: Oh! Another recommendation Y Tu Tu Tambien. It's responsible for giving us Alfonso Cuaron and Gael Garcia Bernal. It's not exactly PG-13 if you know what I mean though.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 20, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kinda got lost in the snark tornado but if you're saying poo poo about The Fountain you and me got problems son.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gatts posted:

It's one of my favorite movies actually. I love it.

Does not get enough love. Does not.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Have to say, didn't really enjoy Kissing Jessica Stein. Didn't really like the main protagonist, and the way they treated lesbianism was painfully 90s.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's not a romantic comedy in the traditional sense, but Pride is another good film about LGBT relationships that's quite funny without downplaying the challenges these groups face. It also stars thread darling Bill Nighy.

In the same vein, I really liked the relationships in Milk. Really good movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jenner posted:

TL;DR: The media does not really depict poverty in a realistic way. Those heartwarming stories of a kid breaking the cycle are tragically rare and it's only becoming more risky and dangerous to try. In general the community largely keeps to itself. Families are often depicted always being present and involved and having enough food and scraping by but that's just not the case. Mothers/parents often went without food so their kids could eat and they worked long hours into the night, leaving their children to fend for themselves.

This is just my experience and perception of poverty and life in poverty. I cannot speak for all people in poverty. But the media depiction is either too ideal/romantic or too condemning. Real poverty is soul crushing and devastating and no amount of hard work and gumption can get you out of it. You have to get lucky.

This post was still real long. I am terrible at this.

It all comes down to selling a vision of life where people can feel good about themselves, either the poor can help themselves out, or the poor are poor because they deserve it. The fact that so many people in the industry, like all industries, come from middle class/rich classes doesn't help either.

The only thing you can do and others escaping from the proverty trap can do is write and share their experiences as I can. I was never poor myself, but my mom was in essence a single mom, and so seeing that type of close family never seemed that realistic to me either. And as far as my poor relations, I did my best to avoid them, because even as a kid I knew how hard I needed to avoid that type of life (selfishly or not).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

there wolf posted:

Does Fast Times at Ridgemont High count? It's pro in the sense that girl isn't shamed or punished for having one, even if it's set into a kind of conservative "don't be a slut" narrative.

A recent article on Birth.Death.Movies went into this, but there's some fantastic A/B analysis to be made in the attitudes re sex between Fast Times and Clueless, especially since they were made by the same director ten years apart.

Women have more agency in Clueless, but there's way more of a hangup regarding sexuality. It's kinda shocking to look at 80s/70s movies and how much it revolved around girls needing to fend off guys just trying to LOSE IT.

That latter thing kinda died off in the 90s. Teenage sex romps got hella more juvenile tho (American Pie et al) but at least they didnt have a requisite scene of a women being trapped in a car and having to physically defend her virtue.

EDIT: Speaking of Catherine Zeta Jones, No Reservations is a pretty good rom/com that is pretty heart warming. There's a little kid in it, but she's not too annoying.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

there wolf posted:

I'd love a link to that if you have it handy.

American Pie only comes off more juvenile in comparison to the more conservative film period that proceeded it. It's pretty much on par with stuff like Hamburger the Movie or Porkey's which came out only a year before Fast Times.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/01/06/broad-cinema-amy-heckerlings-generation-leap

With this being the key paragraph

quote:

There’s an evolution that happens between Fast Times and Clueless, between Stacy and Cher. Cher’s choosy about losing her virginity, and it’s a point of pride for her: “You see how picky I am about my shoes, and they only go on my feet.” The power has shifted from the boys to the girls in 1995 Los Angeles. Cher can afford to shrug off every high school boy that slobbers on her or to jump out of Elton’s car when he makes unwanted advances, and she knows she isn’t going to get a reputation as an ice queen for standing her ground. It’s a luxury that Stacy’s lacking. She throws herself at Mark (Brian Backer) on their first date not necessarily because she wants to, but because she seems to think it’s expected of her.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nice. Romantic comedies that depict different cultures is the tops.

I would suggest Slumdog Millionaire for a follow-up (the regular ol' heterosexual pairing it is).

A podcast on this kind of stuff is a good idea, wonder if anyone has done it before. Don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Which is infinitely more problematic.

• Locked thread